Social media erupts as wealthy 88-year-old widow asks for pension support

Here at the SDC, we know how hard it can be to receive a stable income. To relieve the constant insecurity, many older adults around Australia rely on a pension, as provided by the government, to ensure they can live comfortably in their later years.

However, with onerous restrictions and requirements to qualify for a pension, not everyone can access the payments.

Case in point: an 88-year-old widow who recently sent a question to money columnist Noel Whittaker, asking how she can get access to a pension after her husband's passing.

It was an innocent enough question about the age pension—but it would be one that divided opinion and sparked outrage among Aussies on social media.

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 11.01.50 AM.png
An Australian widow has sparked outrage over her 'entitled' question about the pension to a money columnist. Credit: Shutterstock.

'My husband and I received a part pension, but he passed away, and I now have all the assets but no pension,' she wrote, adding that she was 88 and owned her own home.

'I have $680,000 in savings and $180,000 in shares. My income is $25,000 p.a. Is there anything I can do to get a part pension?'

Unfortunately, the woman's question landed her at the centre of online outrage.

One Twitter user made a joke that the question was the type that would drive Whittaker to drink, saying: 'How often do you think Fairfax's money columnist has to drink a straight shot of hard liquor before answering a question like this every week.'

A cheeky reply to another 'Ask Noel' column's headline, 'We have $1m in assets. Can we get the age pension?' saw a user profess that 'They would have willingly died of alcohol poisoning before answering this.'

Meanwhile, another commented: 'Lady, you're 88. Where are you getting 25k per year if not investments? You'll be fine,' one Twitter user wrote.

A few criticised the woman, with many accusing her of being 'entitled', greedy, and seemingly seeking to get her hands on more money.

'The problem with old people these days is they're too entitled. Back in my day, old people reused their tea bags and were grateful,' someone wrote.

Though still puzzled by the question, some people offered more sincere responses to the woman. They suggested she could 'cash in' her shares or withdraw some of her savings and 'enjoy life for the next few years'.

Amidst the online backlash, Noel Whittaker responded and stated that the woman's question highlighted a hard lesson: how a surviving partner can lose their pension if 'all the money' in a will was passed on to them rather than 'being judiciously spread among family members'.

He revealed that according to the woman's current financial situation, she might not be eligible for an aged pension. However, he did state that if her funds are managed in the right way, she should be able to qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

1689915781562.png

Pensions have become a sensitive topic for Australians due to recent major changes made to the eligibility thresholds for receiving payments. These changes came into effect on July 1 of this year.

If you want to learn more about this topic, feel free to check out the articles we've written before, which are listed below:
Key Takeaways

• An 88-year-old Australian widow caused controversy with her question to a money columnist about how she could acquire part of a pension despite owning significant assets.
  • Many social media users criticised, mocked and even deemed the woman as 'entitled' for seeking financial advice.
  • Amidst the comments, some users gave constructive feedback, suggesting the lady either liquidate her assets or start spending her savings.
  • Noel Whittaker, the columnist, suggested that the woman's predicament highlighted how leaving all money to the surviving partner in a will could result in the loss of their pension and suggested possible solutions.

Members, if you're educated about the conditions that qualify you for a pension, it'll go a long way in helping you secure a steady retirement income.

Depending on your situation—whether you're single, a sole parent, a couple, or a carer—you may be able to receive the Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, or other income support payments.

Our advice? Use the Services Australia website to help you figure out what payments and services you're eligible for, and get in touch with the department if you need to know more.

We would like to know your thoughts on the topic discussed in this article. Did you find it helpful and informative? Please feel free to share your comments with us; we value and appreciate your feedback!

Sponsored
Was reading this message,alot of ageism in these responses,very surprised!!
Rather than bring her down would it not be better to let her know a pension test would be placed on her and then her options would be made available!!!Simple.......
Was reading Noel's response .....what is not clear to me is the asset test ,$270,000,is that only assets,not including the family home????

The family home is exempted from calculations for Aged Pension which is crazy. Surely the value of family home over $5000,000 should be counted as assets.

I don't have such a problem, however, will not throw the first stone.
At 88 years, it must be a terrible thing to come to terms with along with the passing of someone you have spent most of your life with.
There may be much more to her situation than meets the eye. Not the least of which may be relatives waiting in the wings for their share after she passes.
There are a lot of people out there who feel they have to hang on to what they have so their kids can enjoy the fruits of their hard work.
My feeling is, the only people who benefit in the end, are solicitors. I cannot believe the amount of money I am having to shell out after the passing of my mum, and it goes on, and on, and on.
We don't know what kind of emotional support, if any, this lady has. At that age, I would hope there is someone beside her helping her deal with her husband's passing, and, the slurs being aimed at her on social media.

OMG if she took an extra $15,000 out of her $680,000 not counting interest Ed earned she would have enough for another 45 years and that's not including the $180,000 in shares. My Mum is 92 on her own now, owns her home and lives on the age pension as her only income, with only a few $thousand in the bank in savings, that dad left her when he passed, to help her out with any home maintenance issues. So I really don't think she should get any pension.

So people who piss their money up against a wall all their life get the pension those who are careful with their money get nothing how is that fair

I have a great deal of sympathy for this lady. Yes, she has some liquid assets which assist her income, but the value of her investments and her income are depreciating rapidly, due to the effects of uncontrolled monetary inflation. I will assume that at least part of her income is sourced from whatever private superannuation fund she has (this may be included in what she refers to as "savings"), if so her super value will be depreciating by the amount of her receivable "pension" fund.
In any event, the matter touches on the fairness of a government pension scheme which disregards those in the community who have had the prudence to make provision during their working lives for the circumstances of their retirement. I am not suggesting that the government pension be universally distributed, but the threshold level in value of assets could be made adjustable according to relevant monetary inflation rates.
The comment concerning application for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is at best nebulous. The benefits available from that source are about as tangible as the clouds.
Better to have some suggestions - as every little bit helps!

The Pension in Australia was set up to provide for Aged people if they didn’t have enough money to provide for themselves in their old age. It’s not an entitlement for once you retire. There are far too many loopholes at present so that people who can really look after themselves can use a clever Financial Advisor to set them up so they get either the Full Aged Pension or at least a Health Care card.
That’s why our State Health systems are so bad these days. People who have more than enough money to provide for their health needs, now use the Heslth Card to access cheaper medications & use the Public Health system.
There are far too many entitled, greedy people like this lady who forget why both the Aged Pension & the Public Health systems were set up. Instead of dying & leaving a $million+ home, share & $million+ Super fund to your family or whoever you choose, open your pwallets, let the moths free & pay for your own upkeep in all respects. There will still be plenty $$$ to leave to your family so they will be able to provide for their own old age & not be taking or expecting GGovernment $$ to flow to them.
She may have worked her whole life and paid into a pension fund the same as I did which was to cover the pension in retirement, very soon ceased to exist due to incompetent governments, no super for females in those days and back then health cover was taken out when we started work and was tax deductible so that covered medical issues, I can't recall any health freebies then. We were a lot more independent those days. Nowdays people seem to expect the government to come to our aid. No unemployment hand outs either. No one knows her complete situation only the abbreviated bit in the letter.

Here at the SDC, we know how hard it can be to receive a stable income. To relieve the constant insecurity, many older adults around Australia rely on a pension, as provided by the government, to ensure they can live comfortably in their later years.

However, with onerous restrictions and requirements to qualify for a pension, not everyone can access the payments.

Case in point: an 88-year-old widow who recently sent a question to money columnist Noel Whittaker, asking how she can get access to a pension after her husband's passing.

It was an innocent enough question about the age pension—but it would be one that divided opinion and sparked outrage among Aussies on social media.

View attachment 25628
An Australian widow has sparked outrage over her 'entitled' question about the pension to a money columnist. Credit: Shutterstock.

'My husband and I received a part pension, but he passed away, and I now have all the assets but no pension,' she wrote, adding that she was 88 and owned her own home.

'I have $680,000 in savings and $180,000 in shares. My income is $25,000 p.a. Is there anything I can do to get a part pension?'

One Twitter user made a joke that the question was the type that would drive Whittaker to drink, saying: 'How often do you think Fairfax's money columnist has to drink a straight shot of hard liquor before answering a question like this every week.'

A cheeky reply to another 'Ask Noel' column's headline, 'We have $1m in assets. Can we get the age pension?' saw a user profess that 'They would have willingly died of alcohol poisoning before answering this.'

Meanwhile, another commented: 'Lady, you're 88. Where are you getting 25k per year if not investments? You'll be fine,' one Twitter user wrote.

A few criticised the woman, with many accusing her of being 'entitled', greedy, and seemingly seeking to get her hands on more money.

'The problem with old people these days is they're too entitled. Back in my day, old people reused their tea bags and were grateful,' someone wrote.

Though still puzzled by the question, some people offered more sincere responses to the woman. They suggested she could 'cash in' her shares or withdraw some of her savings and 'enjoy life for the next few years'.

Amidst the online backlash, Noel Whittaker responded and stated that the woman's question highlighted a hard lesson: how a surviving partner can lose their pension if 'all the money' in a will was passed on to them rather than 'being judiciously spread among family members'.

He revealed that according to the woman's current financial situation, she might not be eligible for an aged pension. However, he did state that if her funds are managed in the right way, she should be able to qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

Pensions have become a sensitive topic for Australians due to recent major changes made to the eligibility thresholds for receiving payments. These changes came into effect on July 1 of this year.

If you want to learn more about this topic, feel free to check out the articles we've written before, which are listed below:
Key Takeaways

• An 88-year-old Australian widow caused controversy with her question to a money columnist about how she could acquire part of a pension despite owning significant assets.
  • Many social media users criticised, mocked and even deemed the woman as 'entitled' for seeking financial advice.
  • Amidst the comments, some users gave constructive feedback, suggesting the lady either liquidate her assets or start spending her savings.
  • Noel Whittaker, the columnist, suggested that the woman's predicament highlighted how leaving all money to the surviving partner in a will could result in the loss of their pension and suggested possible solutions.

Members, if you're educated about the conditions that qualify you for a pension, it'll go a long way in helping you secure a steady retirement income.

Depending on your situation—whether you're single, a sole parent, a couple, or a carer—you may be able to receive the Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, or other income support payments.

Our advice? Use the Services Australia website to help you figure out what payments and services you're eligible for, and get in touch with the department if you need to know more.

We would like to know your thoughts on the topic discussed in this article. Did you find it helpful and informative? Please feel free to share your comments with us; we value and appreciate your feedback!
Sorry but I feel she is being greedy how can she need more money than that at her age 😡

Sorry but I feel she is being greedy how can she need more money than that at her age 😡
None of us know her situation - or her life story - here's hoping some-one can give her the answer to her question:_)

I have a great deal of sympathy for this lady. Yes, she has some liquid assets which assist her income, but the value of her investments and her income are depreciating rapidly, due to the effects of uncontrolled monetary inflation. I will assume that at least part of her income is sourced from whatever private superannuation fund she has (this may be included in what she refers to as "savings"), if so her super value will be depreciating by the amount of her receivable "pension" fund.
In any event, the matter touches on the fairness of a government pension scheme which disregards those in the community who have had the prudence to make provision during their working lives for the circumstances of their retirement. I am not suggesting that the government pension be universally distributed, but the threshold level in value of assets could be made adjustable according to relevant monetary inflation rates.
The comment concerning application for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is at best nebulous. The benefits available from that source are about as tangible as the clouds.
I do feel for this person, as well as being 88yrs of age - (i'm not sure when her husband passed) still going thru the grieving process - you just cannot think straight - i am also wondering why she would write to a money columnist if she has a family or loving caring children.
We know nothing of her life story - she has reached out to the money/column in needing a question answered for whatever reason that may be - she is another human being that is asking for help (one that has some monies/house, shares) - if our mothers where in the same situation - i would like to think that the right people would have been there to help her - money/assets, aside - life is not all about, Money, Power, Control.
What happened to genuine caring, kindness and helping others along the way. I am sure many would like to financially be in her situation - which they may have worked all there lives to secure - who then really are the envious & greedy ones, have a Heart - the part pension that was being received was not coming out of our pensions - c/link obviously had calculated that they where entitled then, that is why now she is asking about the Pension. She may have pressure coming from different directions - Who Knows!

Last edited:

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

I feel that the older generation was brought up with very little and now in their retirement have money but are afraid to use it because of the "what if" question and not all have children to share the funds around 5 years prior to their death and limit the taxes and encourage entitlement of pension concessions that the government so generously hands out.

Reactions: KaraJenna
Why if you have a million dollars or more in the bank . Why should those get the same ammount as those that haven't got money in the bank .

There is something that is called self funded retiree
Those that worked hard-saved money, went without - have to subsidise those that didn’. Everyone should get the same Pension.

Many older people lived very frugally to save so they are not a burden on family. No holidays, no home help, no new clothes every year, no smashed avocado - no eating or coffeeing out, no extras like performances, films were a treat, no latest this and that. Near end of life they have happened to accummulate 'wealth' through changes in markets etc, beyond their control, and so are not eligible for a return on the effort they have put in. No wonder in this day and age savings etc are deteriorating, waste is building and younger people are scattering blame out of envy, with the assumption that they can be profligate AND a burden on society near end of life. End of rant!
Incidentally I agree a base subsistence pension for all may be more fair. It is a very nuanced area!

Reactions: Blond50 and Milica
Those that worked hard-saved money, went without - have to subsidise those that didn’. Everyone should get the same

Those that worked hard-saved money, went without - have to subsidise those that didn’. Everyone should get the same Pension.
Then our Government would be broke. The Pension isn't a reward it to help pensioners live and try to survive

Some people are fortunate to be able to have been in good jobs and save I'm one of those. Others worked hard , paid of the mortgage but never manages to save. Others less fortunate the dream of owning a house was out of reach.

Why should someone with a house , investments and A Million Dollars in the bank get a pension .

I have friends who were determined to be self funded retires and they did it , their attitude was let the money go to less fortunate

Hell if I had all that in my bank and investments WOW I would be living a lot better than I am she needs to talk to someone and not be so GREEDY if she has a problem I will trade places with her then she will get a full pension thats my offer trade places
😆

My reply was not meant for you - it was meant to be a general comment - my apologies!

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Agree, a very greedy woman......why the hell would an 88 yo person need more money than what she already has, beggars belief !
She needs to stop and think about all the people who are currently living in their cars or on the street.
Maybe she could give some of that money to those living in cars

Reactions: Go Cats
Australia should do what the UK and NZ does, it doesn't matter how much you have, you get the FULL AGE PENSION, as they have worked hard all their lives and paid taxes, wake up australia if NZ and the UK can do it so can we. Jan Purcell
Wholeheartedly agree Jan. Pay high taxes all your working life, then have to fight for your Age Pension. Absolutely everyone should be entitled to the full whack! I read that there was provision for the full Age Pension around 30 years ago, but some greedy Politicians diverted the pot of money to something else. 🤬