Social media erupts as wealthy 88-year-old widow asks for pension support

Here at the SDC, we know how hard it can be to receive a stable income. To relieve the constant insecurity, many older adults around Australia rely on a pension, as provided by the government, to ensure they can live comfortably in their later years.

However, with onerous restrictions and requirements to qualify for a pension, not everyone can access the payments.

Case in point: an 88-year-old widow who recently sent a question to money columnist Noel Whittaker, asking how she can get access to a pension after her husband's passing.

It was an innocent enough question about the age pension—but it would be one that divided opinion and sparked outrage among Aussies on social media.

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 11.01.50 AM.png
An Australian widow has sparked outrage over her 'entitled' question about the pension to a money columnist. Credit: Shutterstock.

'My husband and I received a part pension, but he passed away, and I now have all the assets but no pension,' she wrote, adding that she was 88 and owned her own home.

'I have $680,000 in savings and $180,000 in shares. My income is $25,000 p.a. Is there anything I can do to get a part pension?'

Unfortunately, the woman's question landed her at the centre of online outrage.

One Twitter user made a joke that the question was the type that would drive Whittaker to drink, saying: 'How often do you think Fairfax's money columnist has to drink a straight shot of hard liquor before answering a question like this every week.'

A cheeky reply to another 'Ask Noel' column's headline, 'We have $1m in assets. Can we get the age pension?' saw a user profess that 'They would have willingly died of alcohol poisoning before answering this.'

Meanwhile, another commented: 'Lady, you're 88. Where are you getting 25k per year if not investments? You'll be fine,' one Twitter user wrote.

A few criticised the woman, with many accusing her of being 'entitled', greedy, and seemingly seeking to get her hands on more money.

'The problem with old people these days is they're too entitled. Back in my day, old people reused their tea bags and were grateful,' someone wrote.

Though still puzzled by the question, some people offered more sincere responses to the woman. They suggested she could 'cash in' her shares or withdraw some of her savings and 'enjoy life for the next few years'.

Amidst the online backlash, Noel Whittaker responded and stated that the woman's question highlighted a hard lesson: how a surviving partner can lose their pension if 'all the money' in a will was passed on to them rather than 'being judiciously spread among family members'.

He revealed that according to the woman's current financial situation, she might not be eligible for an aged pension. However, he did state that if her funds are managed in the right way, she should be able to qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

1689915781562.png

Pensions have become a sensitive topic for Australians due to recent major changes made to the eligibility thresholds for receiving payments. These changes came into effect on July 1 of this year.

If you want to learn more about this topic, feel free to check out the articles we've written before, which are listed below:
Key Takeaways

• An 88-year-old Australian widow caused controversy with her question to a money columnist about how she could acquire part of a pension despite owning significant assets.
  • Many social media users criticised, mocked and even deemed the woman as 'entitled' for seeking financial advice.
  • Amidst the comments, some users gave constructive feedback, suggesting the lady either liquidate her assets or start spending her savings.
  • Noel Whittaker, the columnist, suggested that the woman's predicament highlighted how leaving all money to the surviving partner in a will could result in the loss of their pension and suggested possible solutions.

Members, if you're educated about the conditions that qualify you for a pension, it'll go a long way in helping you secure a steady retirement income.

Depending on your situation—whether you're single, a sole parent, a couple, or a carer—you may be able to receive the Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, or other income support payments.

Our advice? Use the Services Australia website to help you figure out what payments and services you're eligible for, and get in touch with the department if you need to know more.

We would like to know your thoughts on the topic discussed in this article. Did you find it helpful and informative? Please feel free to share your comments with us; we value and appreciate your feedback!

Sponsored
As far as I am aware in NZ everyone gets the age pension, it's not means tested. You paid taxes throughout your working life with a guarantee that you would receive an age pension when you retired. (it is not welfare payment) established in the early 1900's has been a cornerstone for Australia’s social security system ever since. This elderly woman may be mean and greedy but temper this thought with the benefits that our politicians receive.
It was established in an era when men died at a much earlier age leaving their surviving spouse with little to no savings. It was primarily a widows pension and not expected to be an amount that enabled you to leave a substantial inheritance for someone.

Classis 1st world problem this woman has. Wanting to make sure she leave an inheritance to children or someone else at the cost to the taxpayer.

As far as I am aware in NZ everyone gets the age pension, it's not means tested. You paid taxes throughout your working life with a guarantee that you would receive an age pension when you retired. (it is not welfare payment) established in the early 1900's has been a cornerstone for Australia’s social security system ever since. This elderly woman may be mean and greedy but temper this thought with the benefits that our politicians receive.
I notice you say NZ's system was established in the early 1900s. Do you want another ROBODEBT fiasco with the government trying to back date the amount of tax EACH of us paid and then work out how much EACH of us should have received and pay us back that amount? RIDICULOUS and absolutely NON-WORKABLE. You could always be a Politician, if you wish.

She needs to learn how to spend, at 88 even if you live to 100 that gives you 12 years to spend $860,000 that's over $1370.00 a week. That's double what pensioners get. Start spending, you can't take it with you.

Reactions: siameezer
i can assure you that teabags were not around in my younger years. 1950's-60's. Why are people jealous of someone who has a money set aside for themselves? I feel it was a genuine question to ask.
Back up there, this women has done all those things and gets more annually than the standard pension plus has 680k in the bank and at 88 still wants a part pension... what the hell for.... with what she has already got she could spend the rest of her life on cruise ships..... SHE IS JUST GREEDY

Here at the SDC, we know how hard it can be to receive a stable income. To relieve the constant insecurity, many older adults around Australia rely on a pension, as provided by the government, to ensure they can live comfortably in their later years.

However, with onerous restrictions and requirements to qualify for a pension, not everyone can access the payments.

Case in point: an 88-year-old widow who recently sent a question to money columnist Noel Whittaker, asking how she can get access to a pension after her husband's passing.

It was an innocent enough question about the age pension—but it would be one that divided opinion and sparked outrage among Aussies on social media.

View attachment 25628
An Australian widow has sparked outrage over her 'entitled' question about the pension to a money columnist. Credit: Shutterstock.

'My husband and I received a part pension, but he passed away, and I now have all the assets but no pension,' she wrote, adding that she was 88 and owned her own home.

'I have $680,000 in savings and $180,000 in shares. My income is $25,000 p.a. Is there anything I can do to get a part pension?'

One Twitter user made a joke that the question was the type that would drive Whittaker to drink, saying: 'How often do you think Fairfax's money columnist has to drink a straight shot of hard liquor before answering a question like this every week.'

A cheeky reply to another 'Ask Noel' column's headline, 'We have $1m in assets. Can we get the age pension?' saw a user profess that 'They would have willingly died of alcohol poisoning before answering this.'

Meanwhile, another commented: 'Lady, you're 88. Where are you getting 25k per year if not investments? You'll be fine,' one Twitter user wrote.

A few criticised the woman, with many accusing her of being 'entitled', greedy, and seemingly seeking to get her hands on more money.

'The problem with old people these days is they're too entitled. Back in my day, old people reused their tea bags and were grateful,' someone wrote.

Though still puzzled by the question, some people offered more sincere responses to the woman. They suggested she could 'cash in' her shares or withdraw some of her savings and 'enjoy life for the next few years'.

Amidst the online backlash, Noel Whittaker responded and stated that the woman's question highlighted a hard lesson: how a surviving partner can lose their pension if 'all the money' in a will was passed on to them rather than 'being judiciously spread among family members'.

He revealed that according to the woman's current financial situation, she might not be eligible for an aged pension. However, he did state that if her funds are managed in the right way, she should be able to qualify for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

Pensions have become a sensitive topic for Australians due to recent major changes made to the eligibility thresholds for receiving payments. These changes came into effect on July 1 of this year.

If you want to learn more about this topic, feel free to check out the articles we've written before, which are listed below:
Key Takeaways

• An 88-year-old Australian widow caused controversy with her question to a money columnist about how she could acquire part of a pension despite owning significant assets.
  • Many social media users criticised, mocked and even deemed the woman as 'entitled' for seeking financial advice.
  • Amidst the comments, some users gave constructive feedback, suggesting the lady either liquidate her assets or start spending her savings.
  • Noel Whittaker, the columnist, suggested that the woman's predicament highlighted how leaving all money to the surviving partner in a will could result in the loss of their pension and suggested possible solutions.

Members, if you're educated about the conditions that qualify you for a pension, it'll go a long way in helping you secure a steady retirement income.

Depending on your situation—whether you're single, a sole parent, a couple, or a carer—you may be able to receive the Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, or other income support payments.

Our advice? Use the Services Australia website to help you figure out what payments and services you're eligible for, and get in touch with the department if you need to know more.

We would like to know your thoughts on the topic discussed in this article. Did you find it helpful and informative? Please feel free to share your comments with us; we value and appreciate your feedback!
Couple of things spring to mind here. Firstly, having nursed many terminally ill folk, I've heard many conversations over the years in which family members - usually the children- are putting pressure on their dying parents regarding money. I've seen family members literally sitting either side of the bed arguing about who deserves the largest share because they did more for the dying man or woman. In many cases, the person was in complete control of their faculties, but just too tired or sick to answer. It's definitely possible that her children want their mum to leave her savings and shares intact. All the more money for them to inherit.

The other thing is that one of the Twitter comments complained about senior Australians being 'entitled'. In my view, we're entitled to be entitled! I worked, mostly full-time for 42 years, retiring at 66. My job was physically and mentally exhausting. For the last 19 years of my working life, I was disabled, but I still worked. When young people have done the hard yards like many of us have done, they might change their opinion.

Reactions: Leoni
Some women of this age, and older, have never managed money, because their husband took that role. Therefore, she may have no idea, and a course in financial management, suited to the average person, could likely help her understand things better. I had a friend years ago, who has since passed, who had difficulty managing a lot of things after her husband passed, because they were things that were his 'responsibility' in their marriage. Thankfully, for her, money management wasn't one of the things that was solely his 'responsibility'.

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

We would like to know your thoughts on the topic discussed in this article. Did you find it helpfuand informative? Please feel free to share your comments with us; we value and appreciate your feedback!
Hi all . I am currently waiting for my Aged Pension Claim to come into my account, processed on 2nd May, outcome dated 25th June. Luck

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

Hi all. I am currently waiting to receive my Aged Pension. Unfortunately times for processing has blown out to 9 weeks. I am able to live on my well earned savings at the moment, but I really feel for people not in the same position. I haven't been given a definitive answer why processing time is so long, after waiting on the phone for Centerlink for an hour and a half, not good enough.
This 88 year old lady needs some sound advice and a reality check.

I notice you say NZ's system was established in the early 1900s. Do you want another ROBODEBT fiasco with the government trying to back date the amount of tax EACH of us paid and then work out how much EACH of us should have received and pay us back that amount? RIDICULOUS and absolutely NON-WORKABLE. You could always be a Politician, if you wish.
Not quite the case, there is no retirement age in NZ, it's called NZ Super, can only access from 65. PS: Aust age pension started (1908) before it started in NZ. Doesn't have an means testing but still required to meet very strict eligibility to apply for it. It is also a floating amount. Is determined on your tax rate during your working life.

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

Most of the replies I've seen about this are ill informed and nasty. She is entitled to a pension and just as importantly the Concession Card. I had considerably more income than she has and I have it. I paid tax for 45 solid working years, I'm still paying tax on my other pension, so those who moan about not being entitled to it can go jump.

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

What is the bet that all of the people complaining about this elderly lady wanting the pension have p****d up all of their own money plus taking extended vacation breaks with no thought of their retirement finances whilst working and falling back on the taxpayers for help to continue their extravagant life style. Remember- it is our money paying the pension and if it is paid to 1 person it should be paid to everyone with one provision all income should be taxed at the current tax rates.

• Angry
I don't know about the Kiwi system, but in the UK the age pension doesn't come out of general revenue as it does in Australia. When you start work in UK there is a contribution to "National Insurance" and you have a card, held by your employer, on to which the employer has to purchase and attach an insurance stamp. So the age pension is contributed to by the employer. There was also, in addition, a 'Graduated Pension' scheme in which one could contribute a second amount, according to ones circumstances, to enhance the pension. In Australia the superannuation scheme, created by 'Labor' is meant to create a pension for all.

View attachment 25628

Key Takeaways

Clearly this elderly lady and her husband worked hard to make the savings and investments that they did. Good on them. Now he has passed away and she loses her pension. That is disgusting. Especially now that alboliar and snake charmer have created an economic downturn, as well as coming after all of our superannuation. Equally disgusting are all the rude and disrespectful responders who are crying greed, greed greed. It is plain to see that those who are doing that are only green with envy that they did not set themselves up for retirement as did the couple in the story. Instead of being jealous, teach your children and grand children to plan better for their retirements than you did. As for self entitlement, it is not the widow that is self entitled, it is those who claim she is. Wake up and grow up spoilt little brats.

This particular lady is 88yrs of age - she asked a question - perhaps she was a carer? or he was? or perhaps her husband dealt with all the monies - who knows? but what she does need is help, that is why she asked the question - where is her family or if they have any children. Clearly needs to speak with some-one at seniors advocacy service. I do hope the money columnist can give her some helpful phone numbers:_)

Come in suckers, most of these stories are invented just to get you lot venting your spleen! Uni students write a lot of these fictitious yarns to newspapers just to get a good laugh! It's even easier with social media...

people work hard for retirement and pension
Everyone in Australia should receive the same pension to combat rise of living
Alas the taxpayer funded politicians with at least 13 houses or more (albo) do not see it this way, other politicians on a "small" salary of $100,000 per year need extra jobs to surviive, whilst aussies struggle
Something is wrong in this equation

Come in suckers, most of these stories are invented just to get you lot venting your spleen! Uni students write a lot of these fictitious yarns to newspapers just to get a good laugh! It's even easier with social media...
And You seem to think we are not aware of this? - as for the word suckers, keep it for yourself:_) Yes people are going to vent-it is part of human nature-but sometimes there is helpful information!

• Love
It’s seems you work hard all your life then you get zero from the government. We are talking about discounts on utilities…. Why shouldn’t she be entitled to at least that.
Because she has enough money to pay the full price !! She’s 88 she couldn’t spend what she has if she paid 10x more for her utilities!!
I’m living on $98 a week after rent and utilities. I personally would like to have a few miserable $$ more to live without reusing my teabags. But I understand it is not society’s fault I find myself in this position and I am thankful for the pension I do receive. But to ask the tax payer to fund a pensioner who has more assets than most working people is ludicrous!! And BTW, to others who have answered this topic, NZ does not have a pension it is a superannuation scheme that is paid in line with your working life!!

Eligibility is clearly outlined. She is being v selfish. Most pensioners have no savings
Why would she be greedy or selfish? She saved and now she is penalized for it. If she wouldn't have saved she would get the full pension. Not only the UK and NZ has the more fairer pension system, but a lot of other countries do too. You worked, paid your taxes, why would that effect your pension? And because YOU saved your money, you are being called selfish and greedy??? I would call the people who says that the green-eyed monster. They are just jealous of people who looked after their retirement. Why can't they all get the Senior Health Care Card at least, if they can't get the full pension.