Shoppers were disappointed with this popular Kmart holiday item - but is it really as bad as they say?

Ah, Christmas – the most wonderful time of the year! A season for family, friends, fun... and apparently, a whole lot of drama.

Every year without fail, it seems like something related to Christmas (be it a product, advertisement or celebrity) manages to enrage people and send them into an internet-commenting frenzy. And this year is certainly no different.

The latest seasonal item to cause a stir is none other than Kmart's popular $7 Christmas Stationery Advent Calendar. Filled with 25 different festive stationery items like pom pom pens and stackable mini pencils, the calendar was snapped up by parents as soon as it hit shelves.

But despite its popularity among shoppers, the item has completely divided people over one small but important detail: there are no numbers on each door!

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 1.06.15 PM.png
Shoppers took to Facebook to complain about Kmart's advent calendar for children. Credit: Facebook.

That's right; instead of having 'Day 1', 'Day 2' etc., printed on each little door (like most advent calendars do), this version simply has 25 random doors with no indication of which day they should be opened on.

As you can imagine, this caused quite a bit of confusion among parents who had purchased the calendar for their children. Many took to social media to share their thoughts on the matter – and things got pretty heated!

'This advent calendar is a total failure!' one shopper wrote alongside a picture of her purchase. 'There are no numbers!! It does not make sense at all when each child decides to open their own calendar.'

Other Kmart customers went on to agree with the parent and said that the product missed one of the most important details in an advent calendar. 'I have the same problem,' one shopper responded, with another adding, 'I know. I just told my daughter to open any door she wants each day.'

Still, not everyone thought the product was a complete disaster, and the lack of numbers on each door isn't really important for the children.

'Does it need numbers? Can't each child be creative with what they pick to open on the day? As long as the children have fun with what they open, that's all that should matter,' argued a fellow parent.
Key Takeaways

• Kmart recently released a Christmas advent calendar that has caused controversy among shoppers because it does not have numbers on each door.
  • Some shoppers have criticised the calendar, saying it is a 'failure' because it does not make sense without numbers.
  • However, other Kmart customers have defended the calendar, saying that it does not need numbers and that the lack of numbers makes it more fun for children.
What are your thoughts about this, members? Is it really a 'total failure' just because the doors don't have numbers on them? Or is it no big deal? Let us know in the comments!

• Sad
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
Why aren’t people creative, make your own. Better still help the kids make them, and with out their knowing mum and dad fill them.
Remember the children are not interested in the packaging it’s what’s inside that matters. Here’s an example.
Cut squares of Christmas paper, put your little gift or lollie in it, gather the 4 corners, tie it with twine or ribbon leaving a long tail. Make a garland by hanging the little parcels on a string or ribbon.
Or get some small bags, let the children decorate them, fill them and pin to a cork notice board. You could make cones with Christmas paper, add the gift or sweet, close the top with sticky tape and put in a mixing bowl for the children to choose from each day. As for the numbers use dots and write the numbers on them or just use a black marker. The possibilities are endless.
There’s is nothing better then homemade Christmas decorations or gifts.

I really don't think too many children would be worried by the lack of numbers and if the parents have nothing better to do than complain about such a trivial thing why don't they grab a packet of paper dots and a texts and do them themselves.
Voila, problem "solvered"as the paint add says.

I really don't think too many children would be worried by the lack of numbers and if the parents have nothing better to do than complain about such a trivial thing why don't they grab a packet of paper dots and a texts and do them themselves.
Voila, problem "solvered"as the paint add says.
Whoops, I meant texta.

Ah, Christmas – the most wonderful time of the year! A season for family, friends, fun... and apparently, a whole lot of drama.

Every year without fail, it seems like something related to Christmas (be it a product, advertisement or celebrity) manages to enrage people and send them into an internet-commenting frenzy. And this year is certainly no different.

The latest seasonal item to cause a stir is none other than Kmart's popular $7 Christmas Stationery Advent Calendar. Filled with 25 different festive stationery items like pom pom pens and stackable mini pencils, the calendar was snapped up by parents as soon as it hit shelves.

But despite its popularity among shoppers, the item has completely divided people over one small but important detail: there are no numbers on each door!

View attachment 10332
Shoppers took to Facebook to complain about Kmart's advent calendar for children. Credit: Facebook.

That's right; instead of having 'Day 1', 'Day 2' etc., printed on each little door (like most advent calendars do), this version simply has 25 random doors with no indication of which day they should be opened on.

As you can imagine, this caused quite a bit of confusion among parents who had purchased the calendar for their children. Many took to social media to share their thoughts on the matter – and things got pretty heated!

'This advent calendar is a total failure!' one shopper wrote alongside a picture of her purchase. 'There are no numbers!! It does not make sense at all when each child decides to open their own calendar.'

Other Kmart customers went on to agree with the parent and said that the product missed one of the most important details in an advent calendar. 'I have the same problem,' one shopper responded, with another adding, 'I know. I just told my daughter to open any door she wants each day.'

Still, not everyone thought the product was a complete disaster, and the lack of numbers on each door isn't really important for the children.

'Does it need numbers? Can't each child be creative with what they pick to open on the day? As long as the children have fun with what they open, that's all that should matter,' argued a fellow parent.
Key Takeaways

• Kmart recently released a Christmas advent calendar that has caused controversy among shoppers because it does not have numbers on each door.
  • Some shoppers have criticised the calendar, saying it is a 'failure' because it does not make sense without numbers.
  • However, other Kmart customers have defended the calendar, saying that it does not need numbers and that the lack of numbers makes it more fun for children.
What are your thoughts about this, members? Is it really a 'total failure' just because the doors don't have numbers on them? Or is it no big deal? Let us know in the comments!

View attachment 10332

Key Takeaways

Really? get a pen and write the numbers on if it such a big deal or pay more attention before you buy it. People these days like to whine about the smallest things.

View attachment 10332

Key Takeaways

Seriously! Do these people have nothing better to do! Get creative people - pick up a marker and write the numbers on it. You bought it for practically nothing. Stop whining, think about all the kids in the world who wold be thrilled to have an advent calendar with no numbers!

The numbers do matter, because an advent CALENDAR counts down the days to Christmas.....Advent means arrival, or coming of an expected person.
For Christians, the season of advent anticipates the period of preparation for the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ at Christmas and also of the Second Coming of Christ.

However, there are so many to choose from...buy the ones that suit your requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElleJay and Ricci
ah people, even kids should know that day 1 is the first box Left top and continues in sequence left to right then same on next row sheesh, like someone said they'll write about anything to have their "say" for likes of course LOL

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10332

Key Takeaways

Yes numbers are usual but just picking a box is exciting

it depends on the age of your child, and wether there are more than one and all have the same calendar. At some stage you might want them to learn to read numbers, and there s no better incentive than an advent calendar! Or they are at an age when they need and want to make their own decisions... but if you have more than one you dont want them to give away what s behind a different door...
I used to wrap tiny gifts (a lolly or similar) up in 20 gifts and hung them of a washing line in each kids room. The 4 Sundays (Advent) before Christmas had slightly bigger gifts (a matchbox car, Lego or so) as had the 6/12 for Santa Claus

View attachment 10332

Key Takeaways

Let the children use their brains and imagination for a change instead of being like sheep. What difference does it make which door is opened each day.