Shopper's warning to fellow customers: beware of the extra dirty baskets!

Now that the pandemic has been going on for two years (and a half) already, we are all familiar with the best safety precautions that are advised by health experts all over the world.

At this point, the rules are like second nature already – wear our masks, keep our distance from others, wash our hands often, and keep our spaces clean and free of germs.

Even if the majority of us here have already received our vaccinations and booster shots, it still pays to remain vigilant in all other public settings, especially in supermarkets.

Did you know that this one thing in the grocery store is most brimming with bacteria? Yes, that's right, folks, it's the shopping baskets.

qwtCmpzRf4jbt3pVAFWxeUaRRHgiO4ZkWui9pqEmio30y7yWVB7v5lXHJTKNaxrYANPRVN55Yxwh5zlyIs6L1SUowcW_iU_FI_zsMmietr0RBj3l6T0ZYSX8z6d9TxHyf3Oy_K-LPWAiuPcOBJVmNyf-D1OyhNliKR2N_QluTXaHcpmPm9aE02PjeA

These basket handles are often touched by other customers and can spread bacteria. Credit: Dreamstime. (Stock photo)

The handles of these baskets are often touched by other shoppers, and people hold on to them the whole time they are at the store.

So, unlike other often-touched things like credit card pads or self-checkout screens, grocery baskets have a higher chance of passing bacteria from one person to the next.

On top of that, some shoppers also complain that the shopping baskets they use at their local supermarkets are really filthy, and the management does nothing to clean them despite the presence of glaringly dirty substances like caked-on dirt, dried fluids, and bits of rubbish.

One Woolies shopper has taken to social media to raise his concerns about how dirty his local supermarket's in-store baskets are.

'I have a question, Woolworths,' the person wrote on Twitter. 'How often do you clean your baskets? They are usually dirty, but today they are extra dirty.'

Take a look at the pictures below to see for yourselves!

UgtkbsZSmwdP2FWx3DHwSTw4x9FSf6V67oJQdnlUC5uwP3O3jZ44y0wwjDlA5lhMZB1aHqE0dmlMsj_yh1HQ1usc17HcALBkbDcvxm2xPcXCvy4LVs1I5u8j6F6qBqO9peFN959Ft8ze8pIiymfeVO6ff19iN7nFwyw4TXCSGthGs87XahPuuA-BYg

A Woolworths customer complained about the store's shopping baskets. Credit: Twitter.

In response to the shopper's tweet, several social media users commented and said that they, too, were now trying to avoid the baskets out of hygiene concerns.

'That's feral!' wrote one user, while another added: 'Gross. I use my bags because of this.'

Woolworths has also responded to the post, saying that they are already working with the supermarket in question to look into the matter.

'We appreciate you reaching out regarding the cleanliness of the baskets; we're disappointed to see this,' said a spokesperson.

Reports say that Woolies employees clean the shopping baskets every three days, so this might have just been a bad time for the shopper to witness.

Experts say that grocery store basket handles don't get cleaned as often as they should, and when they do get cleaned, it's hard to do a completely thorough job.

'The structure of the baskets—weave and ridged surfaces—create places for [germs] to hide during cleaning. Baskets are disinfected; however, it is impossible for a retailer to clean each crack and crevice,' said Gail Truco, patient advocate and CEO/founder of Medical Bill 911.

'You carry the basket on your arm, in your hand, or may change hands. Baskets are more likely to rub against clothing, counters, or product surfaces, spreading contamination.'

-5wzBJkqsziAZocRRlMwZVXX7tYR7LTjRSxT7ctcBDZUYwzFN-eUAo9sJN_XgkO0R_FrZB0wxMYJtJ4EDyCpZRZJADqiqOZnrMA_dRbZqGcPtIaSjmhX2tZs5ZXH5qfwPgFAF-aCr1NUiyuALqZbN439vo1OVyAwe6L9WvdFbRIOFVT8FhzUiDvgjw

Shopping trolleys are actually a cleaner option than baskets. Credit: 3AW.

Maybe it's hard to believe, but experts say that shopping carts are much less likely to harbour germs than baskets. With antibacterial wipes, its handle is much easier to clean, and many grocery stores have instructed their employees to wipe it down after each use.

But, of course, we still recommend that you all take extra caution when going shopping! After using the trolleys, place them back in the locations to which they are assigned, and then promptly wash or use antibacterial wipes on your hands.

Even when the pandemic is over, if you keep these tips in mind when you go to the supermarket, you will be able to stay healthy and keep harmful bacteria, viruses, and germs at bay.

Stay safe always, members!

Sponsored
I'm reading these articles but today they're not making much sense. I also have the tv on and am listening to the comments about the passing of the Queen. Such a sad day.:(🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Thank you Ricci, this is the first I have heard about it. Such a sad day for the whole of the World. May she rest in peace after a long lifetime of service.

I'm reading these articles but today they're not making much sense. I also have the tv on and am listening to the comments about the passing of the Queen. Such a sad day.:(🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
I'm shocked I actually thought she would reach 100.

How good did she look only 2 days ago swearing in the new prime minister .
It is raining for the first time in two months in London, it's like tears from Heaven 😔

@Happymad @Suzanne rose @Liz @Ricci We are soooooo sorry members. I heard of the Queen's death this morning at 6am, and our newsletter goes out at 6am every morning so it was too late for me to add anything to it! Rest assured I'm working on an article that will be dedicated to her, along with the entire afternoon newsletter. I'm in complete utter shock and very emotional writing this article. She was such a remarkable woman, and a symbol of hope. May she rest in peace and I hope she's been reunited with Prince Philip ❤️

@Happymad @Suzanne rose @Liz @Ricci We are soooooo sorry members. I heard of the Queen's death this morning at 6am, and our newsletter goes out at 6am every morning so it was too late for me to add anything to it! Rest assured I'm working on an article that will be dedicated to her, along with the entire afternoon newsletter. I'm in complete utter shock and very emotional writing this article. She was such a remarkable woman, and a symbol of hope. May she rest in peace and I hope she's been reunited with Prince Philip ❤️
So sad. 😪😪

When I saw the late news last night, an official note from the Queen's Doctors was shown, stating there was concern for her health.
It said she was at peace and comfortable.
Then they said Prince Charles had flown by helicopter to Balmoral, and other members of her family were making their way to Balmoral.
I was shocked when I turned the radio on at 4:30am to hear she had passed away.
Apparently, it was at 3:30am that the news was broadcast in Australia.
Certainly, we have witnessed Queen Elizabeth's frailty increase gradually since Prince Phillip died.
She remained stoic and wise, and witty, right to the end.
She's the lady Prince Phillip described as having "tolerance in abundance", referring to his marriage.
She was so young when she declared she would serve the Commonwealth for her whole life, whether it be long or short.
She has certainly achieved that ....for an incredibly long time.
Her death is certainly not unexpected, at age 96, however, the suddenness of it hits hard.
I sense a different sort of grief from when Diana died, however, there is still a sting associated with numbness.
Grief is the price you pay for having loved.
Yes, we loved our Queen!!!
I also heard that a double 🌈🌈 had appeared over Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
When I saw the late news last night, an official note from the Queen's Doctors was shown, stating there was concern for her health.
It said she was at peace and comfortable.
Then they said Prince Charles had flown by helicopter to Balmoral, and other members of her family were making their way to Balmoral.
I was shocked when I turned the radio on at 4:30am to hear she had passed away.
Apparently, it was at 3:30am that the news was broadcast in Australia.
Certainly, we have witnessed Queen Elizabeth's frailty increase gradually since Prince Phillip died.
She remained stoic and wise, and witty, right to the end.
She was so young when she declared she would serve the Commonwealth for her whole life, whether it be long or short.
She has certainly achieved that ....for an incredibly long time.
Her death is certainly not unexpected, at age 96, however, the suddenness of it hits hard.
I sense a different sort of grief from when Diana died, however, there is still a sting associated with numbness.
Grief is the price you pay for having loved.
Yes, we loved our Queen!!!
To be honest I thought she would live to at least 100.
Strange how she seemed frail but ok only 48 hours before.
They are saying this will be much bigger than Princess Dianna

Reactions: Ricci
Now that the pandemic has been going on for two years (and a half) already, we are all familiar with the best safety precautions that are advised by health experts all over the world.

At this point, the rules are like second nature already – wear our masks, keep our distance from others, wash our hands often, and keep our spaces clean and free of germs.

Even if the majority of us here have already received our vaccinations and booster shots, it still pays to remain vigilant in all other public settings, especially in supermarkets.

Did you know that this one thing in the grocery store is most brimming with bacteria? Yes, that's right, folks, it's the shopping baskets.

qwtCmpzRf4jbt3pVAFWxeUaRRHgiO4ZkWui9pqEmio30y7yWVB7v5lXHJTKNaxrYANPRVN55Yxwh5zlyIs6L1SUowcW_iU_FI_zsMmietr0RBj3l6T0ZYSX8z6d9TxHyf3Oy_K-LPWAiuPcOBJVmNyf-D1OyhNliKR2N_QluTXaHcpmPm9aE02PjeA

These basket handles are often touched by other customers and can spread bacteria. Credit: Dreamstime. (Stock photo)

The handles of these baskets are often touched by other shoppers, and people hold on to them the whole time they are at the store.

So, unlike other often-touched things like credit card pads or self-checkout screens, grocery baskets have a higher chance of passing bacteria from one person to the next.

On top of that, some shoppers also complain that the shopping baskets they use at their local supermarkets are really filthy, and the management does nothing to clean them despite the presence of glaringly dirty substances like caked-on dirt, dried fluids, and bits of rubbish.

One Woolies shopper has taken to social media to raise his concerns about how dirty his local supermarket's in-store baskets are.

'I have a question, Woolworths,' the person wrote on Twitter. 'How often do you clean your baskets? They are usually dirty, but today they are extra dirty.'

Take a look at the pictures below to see for yourselves!

UgtkbsZSmwdP2FWx3DHwSTw4x9FSf6V67oJQdnlUC5uwP3O3jZ44y0wwjDlA5lhMZB1aHqE0dmlMsj_yh1HQ1usc17HcALBkbDcvxm2xPcXCvy4LVs1I5u8j6F6qBqO9peFN959Ft8ze8pIiymfeVO6ff19iN7nFwyw4TXCSGthGs87XahPuuA-BYg

A Woolworths customer complained about the store's shopping baskets. Credit: Twitter.

In response to the shopper's tweet, several social media users commented and said that they, too, were now trying to avoid the baskets out of hygiene concerns.

'That's feral!' wrote one user, while another added: 'Gross. I use my bags because of this.'

Woolworths has also responded to the post, saying that they are already working with the supermarket in question to look into the matter.

'We appreciate you reaching out regarding the cleanliness of the baskets; we're disappointed to see this,' said a spokesperson.

Reports say that Woolies employees clean the shopping baskets every three days, so this might have just been a bad time for the shopper to witness.

Experts say that grocery store basket handles don't get cleaned as often as they should, and when they do get cleaned, it's hard to do a completely thorough job.

'The structure of the baskets—weave and ridged surfaces—create places for [germs] to hide during cleaning. Baskets are disinfected; however, it is impossible for a retailer to clean each crack and crevice,' said Gail Truco, patient advocate and CEO/founder of Medical Bill 911.

'You carry the basket on your arm, in your hand, or may change hands. Baskets are more likely to rub against clothing, counters, or product surfaces, spreading contamination.'

-5wzBJkqsziAZocRRlMwZVXX7tYR7LTjRSxT7ctcBDZUYwzFN-eUAo9sJN_XgkO0R_FrZB0wxMYJtJ4EDyCpZRZJADqiqOZnrMA_dRbZqGcPtIaSjmhX2tZs5ZXH5qfwPgFAF-aCr1NUiyuALqZbN439vo1OVyAwe6L9WvdFbRIOFVT8FhzUiDvgjw

Shopping trolleys are actually a cleaner option than baskets. Credit: 3AW.

Maybe it's hard to believe, but experts say that shopping carts are much less likely to harbour germs than baskets. With antibacterial wipes, its handle is much easier to clean, and many grocery stores have instructed their employees to wipe it down after each use.

But, of course, we still recommend that you all take extra caution when going shopping! After using the trolleys, place them back in the locations to which they are assigned, and then promptly wash or use antibacterial wipes on your hands.

Even when the pandemic is over, if you keep these tips in mind when you go to the supermarket, you will be able to stay healthy and keep harmful bacteria, viruses, and germs at bay.

Stay safe always, members!
I skip those baskets completely, as my back cannot take heavy one side straining.
Fill yr own carry bag & use in the smaller trolley. My bag clips on each side of trolley so is easy to unload onto conveyor belt, then fill up again after scan. Boxes & tinned items ‘go loose’ in trolley until at the car.
Can always put cardboard boxes in trolley, or car, to pack goods in.
ALDI is bringing in shallower trolley so shorties like me don’t need a ladder to retrieve goods😂

To be honest I thought she would live to at least 100.
Strange how she seemed frail but ok only 48 hours before.
They are saying this will be much bigger than Princess Dianna
Of course it will. Most people around the world have no memory of a British monarch other than her. A life of extraordinary service is over.

I always grab my basket with a wipe and wipe all the handles as I do with the trolley
me too and sometimes I have to go through 5 or six baskets to get a clean one our Woollies don't clean them I asked

• Sad
me too and sometimes I have to go through 5 or six baskets to get a clean one our Woollies don't clean them I asked
Just dont forget to byo some wipes, they dont always supply nowadays. I wanna use my own shopping bags to shop but don't wanna look like I was stealing or something... 🙄