Shoppers taking matters into their own hands: Is it okay to steal from supermarkets amid the cost-of-living crisis?

It’s no secret there’s been a huge increase in the cost of living across the country. Prices for everything – from everyday essentials to fuel – have soared, and many Australians are finding themselves struggling to stay afloat.

But amid the inflationary pressures, one Melbourne-based comedian is advising everyone to take matters into their own hands

Comedian Fergus Neal is encouraging shoppers to ‘do their national duty’ and steal from supermarket giant Woolworths..

The 20-something comedian made the petition in a recently shared video on social media. In it, he claimed that inflation is being used as a ‘smoke screen’ by the major retailer as an excuse to increase prices even more.

‘Next time you're at Woolworths, do your Australian duty and steal a g****mn lettuce. Because Woolworths knows, like the European banks uncovered, that it's not wage increases driving inflation, it is the increases in corporate profit,’ Fergus said.

lettuce1.jpg
The comedian is urging everyone to steal lettuce from Woolworths. Credit: Daian Gan/Pexels

According to Fergus, increased costs due to supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto customers despite big corporations making huge profits.

‘Inflation is being used as a smoke screen so that Woolworths can add to their 2 billion a year profit margins instead of easily absorbing costs associated with supply chain issues and energy prices,’ he claimed in the video.

Based on a previous report, large retailers have revealed how they’ve made high-profit results amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

Millionaire businessmen Jack Gance and Mario Verrocchi – owners of the discount retail chain Chemist Warehouse – reportedly sat at numbers 60 and 63, respectively, on Australia’s Rich List in 2021, despite the pandemic. You can read more about this story here.

lettuce2.jpg
He claimed that major retailers are using inflation as an excuse to drive up prices. Credit: The Fergus Neal/TikTok

Fergus also added that the Reserve Bank is aware of this move by corporations and that their solution is to curb consumer’s ‘spending power’ by ‘demanding wages fail to increase while interest rates do’.

‘Your buying power is being affected so that the buying power of corporate CEOs is not,’ he stated.

Fergus’ petition has since gone viral, receiving more than 37,000 views and more than 150 comments, with many Aussies sharing their disdain for the big supermarket chains, feeling anger at their alleged greed, and citing the need for better pricing power. If you want to watch his video, you can do so below.

‘I’ve completely stopped shopping at Woolworths (or any large corporations) they can f right off,’ one wrote.

‘And people try to say corporate greed isn’t real, so many people literally defend the government and big corporations bending everyone over,’ someone else commented.

Another social media user said they were angry at every company who claimed that they were losing profits due to COVID-19 only to report that they ‘made record profits’.

‘If no staffed checkouts are open and I have to do the work myself, I take something for the effort,’ they added.

Theft is a criminal offence and can carry a penalty of up to five years imprisonment—the police deal with minor incidents (involving products valued at less than $150). Offenders are also issued an on-the-spot theft infringement notice.

Woolworths has yet to comment on the matter.

Woolworths recently posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14% increase from the previous year. Brad Banducci, Woolworths CEO, said that despite the continued supply chain challenges, most of the supermarket’s customer metrics improved during this time frame.

‘Our first half result benefitted from a focus on improving our customer shopping experience, restoring our operating rhythm, the non-recurrence of material COVID costs in the prior year and strong seasonal trading,’ he told reporters.

He continued: ‘Cost-of-living pressures are being felt by our customers due to industry-wide inflation, and helping all our customers get their Woolies worth remains our number one priority.’

Meanwhile, Coles posted a half-yearly result that saw total revenue of $20.8 billion and a profit of $616 million – up 17.1 per cent. According to the figures, the retailer’s total revenue was $12.4 million less than its rival – Woolworths saw $291 million more in profit.

National carrier Qantas also recorded a $1.4 billion profit, while the Commonwealth Bank of Australia reported a staggering $5.15 billion profit – a 9 per cent increase in revenue.

Research has also shown that excessive corporate profits – and not Australian wages – were behind the skyrocketing cost of living. The Australia Institute, a significant thinktank in the country, argued that big business earnings account for 69 per cent of the inflation, which is above the target range of two to three per cent.

Economist Dr Jim Stanford claimed that without excessive corporate price increases and profits, the Reserve Bank’s nine consecutive interest rate hikes would have been ‘unlikely’.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions Secretary Sally McManus said: ’Inflation is being fed by these companies putting up prices far more than they need to.’

‘Wage growth is clearly not contributing to inflation. Any wage rises in 2022, and early 2023 have been eaten up by price rises and interest rate rises.’

Ms McManus also claimed that major retailers have been increasing prices more than necessary, and their workers are feeling the pinch.

‘Big companies know people have no choice other than to pay the prices they set for essentials such as groceries and energy, and business is making record profits and driving up inflation.’
Key Takeaways
  • Australian comedian, Fergus Neal, urges shoppers to steal from Woolworths in response to soaring prices and inflation.
  • Fergus claims increased costs from supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto the consumer despite big corporations making record profits.
  • Fergus' video received more than 37,000 views and many comments from Aussies sharing their disdain for big supermarket chains.
  • In February, Woolworths posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14 per cent increase from the previous year.
Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Sure, the big Corporations are ripping us off bigtime but two wrongs don't make a right so stealing is not the way to go.
What needs to be done (but never will) is for everyone to avoid the big stores and shop locally at Mum and Dad stores and let the big stores spend days/weeks empty of customers. It wouldn't take long before prices in these stores dropped to more reasonable levels. ;)

I am getting really p*ssed with the self service too as they (supermarket) try to deal with theft issues and they introduce their AI Cams on self service.... I am getting so annoyed with a trolley load and NO checkouts b4 9am so self service is the only way. The damned AI keeps getting hung up on "theft" suspected when scanning multiples of the same item (try buying some couple weeks worth tins of cat food :-( ) and the terminal stopping for an operator to manually view the video and clear the error over and over.... Then when you can remove a bag to make way for the other items in your trolley (terminal lights up Green light to allow you to make space) of course you put the bag in your trolley, not the putrid floor, then the AI starts whining for a store employee to check the trolley coz it aint empty when you try to pay..... ARGH. It's probably an extra 3 or 4 minutes overall but feels like 10 to me. I think on my next morning trolley load, I shall go to the only operator checkout (15 items express) and tell them to process the load, coz being treated like a criminal in self service is doing my head in!

It’s no secret there’s been a huge increase in the cost of living across the country. Prices for everything – from everyday essentials to fuel – have soared, and many Australians are finding themselves struggling to stay afloat.

But amid the inflationary pressures, one Melbourne-based comedian is advising everyone to take matters into their own hands

Comedian Fergus Neal is encouraging shoppers to ‘do their national duty’ and steal from supermarket giant Woolworths..

The 20-something comedian made the petition in a recently shared video on social media. In it, he claimed that inflation is being used as a ‘smoke screen’ by the major retailer as an excuse to increase prices even more.

‘Next time you're at Woolworths, do your Australian duty and steal a g****mn lettuce. Because Woolworths knows, like the European banks uncovered, that it's not wage increases driving inflation, it is the increases in corporate profit,’ Fergus said.

View attachment 19347
The comedian is urging everyone to steal lettuce from Woolworths. Credit: Daian Gan/Pexels

According to Fergus, increased costs due to supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto customers despite big corporations making huge profits.

‘Inflation is being used as a smoke screen so that Woolworths can add to their 2 billion a year profit margins instead of easily absorbing costs associated with supply chain issues and energy prices,’ he claimed in the video.

Based on a previous report, large retailers have revealed how they’ve made high-profit results amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

Millionaire businessmen Jack Gance and Mario Verrocchi – owners of the discount retail chain Chemist Warehouse – reportedly sat at numbers 60 and 63, respectively, on Australia’s Rich List in 2021, despite the pandemic. You can read more about this story here.

View attachment 19349
He claimed that major retailers are using inflation as an excuse to drive up prices. Credit: The Fergus Neal/TikTok

Fergus also added that the Reserve Bank is aware of this move by corporations and that their solution is to curb consumer’s ‘spending power’ by ‘demanding wages fail to increase while interest rates do’.

‘Your buying power is being affected so that the buying power of corporate CEOs is not,’ he stated.

Fergus’ petition has since gone viral, receiving more than 37,000 views and more than 150 comments, with many Aussies sharing their disdain for the big supermarket chains, feeling anger at their alleged greed, and citing the need for better pricing power. If you want to watch his video, you can do so below.

‘I’ve completely stopped shopping at Woolworths (or any large corporations) they can f right off,’ one wrote.

‘And people try to say corporate greed isn’t real, so many people literally defend the government and big corporations bending everyone over,’ someone else commented.

Another social media user said they were angry at every company who claimed that they were losing profits due to COVID-19 only to report that they ‘made record profits’.

‘If no staffed checkouts are open and I have to do the work myself, I take something for the effort,’ they added.

Theft is a criminal offence and can carry a penalty of up to five years imprisonment—the police deal with minor incidents (involving products valued at less than $150). Offenders are also issued an on-the-spot theft infringement notice.

Woolworths recently posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14% increase from the previous year. Brad Banducci, Woolworths CEO, said that despite the continued supply chain challenges, most of the supermarket’s customer metrics improved during this time frame.

‘Our first half result benefitted from a focus on improving our customer shopping experience, restoring our operating rhythm, the non-recurrence of material COVID costs in the prior year and strong seasonal trading,’ he told reporters.

He continued: ‘Cost-of-living pressures are being felt by our customers due to industry-wide inflation, and helping all our customers get their Woolies worth remains our number one priority.’

Meanwhile, Coles posted a half-yearly result that saw total revenue of $20.8 billion and a profit of $616 million – up 17.1 per cent. According to the figures, the retailer’s total revenue was $12.4 million less than its rival – Woolworths saw $291 million more in profit.

National carrier Qantas also recorded a $1.4 billion profit, while the Commonwealth Bank of Australia reported a staggering $5.15 billion profit – a 9 per cent increase in revenue.

Research has also shown that excessive corporate profits – and not Australian wages – were behind the skyrocketing cost of living. The Australia Institute, a significant thinktank in the country, argued that big business earnings account for 69 per cent of the inflation, which is above the target range of two to three per cent.

Economist Dr Jim Stanford claimed that without excessive corporate price increases and profits, the Reserve Bank’s nine consecutive interest rate hikes would have been ‘unlikely’.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions Secretary Sally McManus said: ’Inflation is being fed by these companies putting up prices far more than they need to.’

‘Wage growth is clearly not contributing to inflation. Any wage rises in 2022, and early 2023 have been eaten up by price rises and interest rate rises.’

Ms McManus also claimed that major retailers have been increasing prices more than necessary, and their workers are feeling the pinch.

‘Big companies know people have no choice other than to pay the prices they set for essentials such as groceries and energy, and business is making record profits and driving up inflation.’
Key Takeaways

• Australian comedian, Fergus Neal, urges shoppers to steal from Woolworths in response to soaring prices and inflation.
  • Fergus claims increased costs from supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto the consumer despite big corporations making record profits.
  • Fergus' video received more than 37,000 views and many comments from Aussies sharing their disdain for big supermarket chains.
  • In February, Woolworths posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14 per cent increase from the previous year.
Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

A lot of people steal from the supermarkets daily! Isn’t taking a shopping trolley home or leaving it outside your house also an offence? If I openly stole an item in store I’d be fined, but apparently to “steal” a trolley is not. !

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Under no circumstance is it ok to steal, in saying this if I had kids and no money for food and I've used up all sources and my kids were starving maybe I would but thank goodness I have never been in this situation and with all the help from charities nobody should be in this situation.

No it's not ok to steal from supermarkets, but it is about time supermarkets give back some of their huge profits by bring food items down.

Funny you don't see the coles commercial anymore DOWN DOWN

That's crazy telling people to steal lettuces. People steal daily at self-serve checkouts, so there's no necessity to add a lettuce to the list.
As for supermarkets and Chemist Warehouse romping in the $ over the covid period, you can count Harvey Norman to that tally.
That guy gloated, rubbing his hands together. He was grinning from ear to ear on the news and social media.

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

It is no okay to steal but one avenue of action would be active boycott or other ways to force them to lower prices .They are definitely stealing from us and lying about the prices of so called specials !We are the clients let them know !!

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

They maybe making huge profits but that doesn’t give us the right to steal. Stealing is against the law so whatever you think of the retailer it doesn’t mean stealing is condoned. Boycott the store instead!

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

A firm NO...it is not OK to steal at all whether it be Woolworths or my next door neighbour!

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

Let's also just remember, not only is theft a crime, but the stores will then raise prices higher to cover the losses caused by higher rates of theft. Boycotting may sound good, but smaller stores won't have the goods to supply everyone with their needs, I'm sure the stores will be able to hold out longer than the consumers.

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

Agree the supermarkets are taking advantage no matter what they try to tell us. But theft is theft. Doesn't matter who is doing it. For Fergus to suggest that we steal doesn't leave him in good light either.

A lot of people steal from the supermarkets daily! Isn’t taking a shopping trolley home or leaving it outside your house also an offence? If I openly stole an item in store I’d be fined, but apparently to “steal” a trolley is not. !
Woolworths and Coles are owned by share holders , if you have shares in these companies ,then you are very happy , the government should have more control over there prices increases . There profits in the last quarter are a joke way to high

Petrol self service and self pay, does that make it ok to steal a few litres of petrol as well? Also when paying an account by EFT, it is ok to pay as bit less as I didn't pay the supplier by cash?

Sure, the big Corporations are ripping us off bigtime but two wrongs don't make a right so stealing is not the way to go.
What needs to be done (but never will) is for everyone to avoid the big stores and shop locally at Mum and Dad stores and let the big stores spend days/weeks empty of customers. It wouldn't take long before prices in these stores dropped to more reasonable levels. ;)
No choice where I live. You either shop at Woolworths or IGA (& many of their prices are higher than Woolies) or you don't shop anywhere. Over the years since both Woolworths & Coles expanded into the supermarket area they have taken over from many small businesses e.g. milkman, baker, pastrycooks, newsagents & the list goes on. But the big question is - how do we stop this?