Shoppers taking matters into their own hands: Is it okay to steal from supermarkets amid the cost-of-living crisis?

It’s no secret there’s been a huge increase in the cost of living across the country. Prices for everything – from everyday essentials to fuel – have soared, and many Australians are finding themselves struggling to stay afloat.

But amid the inflationary pressures, one Melbourne-based comedian is advising everyone to take matters into their own hands

Comedian Fergus Neal is encouraging shoppers to ‘do their national duty’ and steal from supermarket giant Woolworths..

The 20-something comedian made the petition in a recently shared video on social media. In it, he claimed that inflation is being used as a ‘smoke screen’ by the major retailer as an excuse to increase prices even more.

‘Next time you're at Woolworths, do your Australian duty and steal a g****mn lettuce. Because Woolworths knows, like the European banks uncovered, that it's not wage increases driving inflation, it is the increases in corporate profit,’ Fergus said.

lettuce1.jpg
The comedian is urging everyone to steal lettuce from Woolworths. Credit: Daian Gan/Pexels

According to Fergus, increased costs due to supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto customers despite big corporations making huge profits.

‘Inflation is being used as a smoke screen so that Woolworths can add to their 2 billion a year profit margins instead of easily absorbing costs associated with supply chain issues and energy prices,’ he claimed in the video.

Based on a previous report, large retailers have revealed how they’ve made high-profit results amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

Millionaire businessmen Jack Gance and Mario Verrocchi – owners of the discount retail chain Chemist Warehouse – reportedly sat at numbers 60 and 63, respectively, on Australia’s Rich List in 2021, despite the pandemic. You can read more about this story here.

lettuce2.jpg
He claimed that major retailers are using inflation as an excuse to drive up prices. Credit: The Fergus Neal/TikTok

Fergus also added that the Reserve Bank is aware of this move by corporations and that their solution is to curb consumer’s ‘spending power’ by ‘demanding wages fail to increase while interest rates do’.

‘Your buying power is being affected so that the buying power of corporate CEOs is not,’ he stated.

Fergus’ petition has since gone viral, receiving more than 37,000 views and more than 150 comments, with many Aussies sharing their disdain for the big supermarket chains, feeling anger at their alleged greed, and citing the need for better pricing power. If you want to watch his video, you can do so below.

‘I’ve completely stopped shopping at Woolworths (or any large corporations) they can f right off,’ one wrote.

‘And people try to say corporate greed isn’t real, so many people literally defend the government and big corporations bending everyone over,’ someone else commented.

Another social media user said they were angry at every company who claimed that they were losing profits due to COVID-19 only to report that they ‘made record profits’.

‘If no staffed checkouts are open and I have to do the work myself, I take something for the effort,’ they added.

Theft is a criminal offence and can carry a penalty of up to five years imprisonment—the police deal with minor incidents (involving products valued at less than $150). Offenders are also issued an on-the-spot theft infringement notice.

Woolworths has yet to comment on the matter.

Woolworths recently posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14% increase from the previous year. Brad Banducci, Woolworths CEO, said that despite the continued supply chain challenges, most of the supermarket’s customer metrics improved during this time frame.

‘Our first half result benefitted from a focus on improving our customer shopping experience, restoring our operating rhythm, the non-recurrence of material COVID costs in the prior year and strong seasonal trading,’ he told reporters.

He continued: ‘Cost-of-living pressures are being felt by our customers due to industry-wide inflation, and helping all our customers get their Woolies worth remains our number one priority.’

Meanwhile, Coles posted a half-yearly result that saw total revenue of $20.8 billion and a profit of $616 million – up 17.1 per cent. According to the figures, the retailer’s total revenue was $12.4 million less than its rival – Woolworths saw $291 million more in profit.

National carrier Qantas also recorded a $1.4 billion profit, while the Commonwealth Bank of Australia reported a staggering $5.15 billion profit – a 9 per cent increase in revenue.

Research has also shown that excessive corporate profits – and not Australian wages – were behind the skyrocketing cost of living. The Australia Institute, a significant thinktank in the country, argued that big business earnings account for 69 per cent of the inflation, which is above the target range of two to three per cent.

Economist Dr Jim Stanford claimed that without excessive corporate price increases and profits, the Reserve Bank’s nine consecutive interest rate hikes would have been ‘unlikely’.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions Secretary Sally McManus said: ’Inflation is being fed by these companies putting up prices far more than they need to.’

‘Wage growth is clearly not contributing to inflation. Any wage rises in 2022, and early 2023 have been eaten up by price rises and interest rate rises.’

Ms McManus also claimed that major retailers have been increasing prices more than necessary, and their workers are feeling the pinch.

‘Big companies know people have no choice other than to pay the prices they set for essentials such as groceries and energy, and business is making record profits and driving up inflation.’
Key Takeaways
  • Australian comedian, Fergus Neal, urges shoppers to steal from Woolworths in response to soaring prices and inflation.
  • Fergus claims increased costs from supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto the consumer despite big corporations making record profits.
  • Fergus' video received more than 37,000 views and many comments from Aussies sharing their disdain for big supermarket chains.
  • In February, Woolworths posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14 per cent increase from the previous year.
Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
It’s no secret there’s been a huge increase in the cost of living across the country. Prices for everything – from everyday essentials to fuel – have soared, and many Australians are finding themselves struggling to stay afloat.

But amid the inflationary pressures, one Melbourne-based comedian is advising everyone to take matters into their own hands

Comedian Fergus Neal is encouraging shoppers to ‘do their national duty’ and steal from supermarket giant Woolworths..

The 20-something comedian made the petition in a recently shared video on social media. In it, he claimed that inflation is being used as a ‘smoke screen’ by the major retailer as an excuse to increase prices even more.

‘Next time you're at Woolworths, do your Australian duty and steal a g****mn lettuce. Because Woolworths knows, like the European banks uncovered, that it's not wage increases driving inflation, it is the increases in corporate profit,’ Fergus said.

View attachment 19347
The comedian is urging everyone to steal lettuce from Woolworths. Credit: Daian Gan/Pexels

According to Fergus, increased costs due to supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto customers despite big corporations making huge profits.

‘Inflation is being used as a smoke screen so that Woolworths can add to their 2 billion a year profit margins instead of easily absorbing costs associated with supply chain issues and energy prices,’ he claimed in the video.

Based on a previous report, large retailers have revealed how they’ve made high-profit results amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

Millionaire businessmen Jack Gance and Mario Verrocchi – owners of the discount retail chain Chemist Warehouse – reportedly sat at numbers 60 and 63, respectively, on Australia’s Rich List in 2021, despite the pandemic. You can read more about this story here.

View attachment 19349
He claimed that major retailers are using inflation as an excuse to drive up prices. Credit: The Fergus Neal/TikTok

Fergus also added that the Reserve Bank is aware of this move by corporations and that their solution is to curb consumer’s ‘spending power’ by ‘demanding wages fail to increase while interest rates do’.

‘Your buying power is being affected so that the buying power of corporate CEOs is not,’ he stated.

Fergus’ petition has since gone viral, receiving more than 37,000 views and more than 150 comments, with many Aussies sharing their disdain for the big supermarket chains, feeling anger at their alleged greed, and citing the need for better pricing power. If you want to watch his video, you can do so below.

‘I’ve completely stopped shopping at Woolworths (or any large corporations) they can f right off,’ one wrote.

‘And people try to say corporate greed isn’t real, so many people literally defend the government and big corporations bending everyone over,’ someone else commented.

Another social media user said they were angry at every company who claimed that they were losing profits due to COVID-19 only to report that they ‘made record profits’.

‘If no staffed checkouts are open and I have to do the work myself, I take something for the effort,’ they added.

Theft is a criminal offence and can carry a penalty of up to five years imprisonment—the police deal with minor incidents (involving products valued at less than $150). Offenders are also issued an on-the-spot theft infringement notice.

Woolworths recently posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14% increase from the previous year. Brad Banducci, Woolworths CEO, said that despite the continued supply chain challenges, most of the supermarket’s customer metrics improved during this time frame.

‘Our first half result benefitted from a focus on improving our customer shopping experience, restoring our operating rhythm, the non-recurrence of material COVID costs in the prior year and strong seasonal trading,’ he told reporters.

He continued: ‘Cost-of-living pressures are being felt by our customers due to industry-wide inflation, and helping all our customers get their Woolies worth remains our number one priority.’

Meanwhile, Coles posted a half-yearly result that saw total revenue of $20.8 billion and a profit of $616 million – up 17.1 per cent. According to the figures, the retailer’s total revenue was $12.4 million less than its rival – Woolworths saw $291 million more in profit.

National carrier Qantas also recorded a $1.4 billion profit, while the Commonwealth Bank of Australia reported a staggering $5.15 billion profit – a 9 per cent increase in revenue.

Research has also shown that excessive corporate profits – and not Australian wages – were behind the skyrocketing cost of living. The Australia Institute, a significant thinktank in the country, argued that big business earnings account for 69 per cent of the inflation, which is above the target range of two to three per cent.

Economist Dr Jim Stanford claimed that without excessive corporate price increases and profits, the Reserve Bank’s nine consecutive interest rate hikes would have been ‘unlikely’.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions Secretary Sally McManus said: ’Inflation is being fed by these companies putting up prices far more than they need to.’

‘Wage growth is clearly not contributing to inflation. Any wage rises in 2022, and early 2023 have been eaten up by price rises and interest rate rises.’

Ms McManus also claimed that major retailers have been increasing prices more than necessary, and their workers are feeling the pinch.

‘Big companies know people have no choice other than to pay the prices they set for essentials such as groceries and energy, and business is making record profits and driving up inflation.’
Key Takeaways

• Australian comedian, Fergus Neal, urges shoppers to steal from Woolworths in response to soaring prices and inflation.
  • Fergus claims increased costs from supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto the consumer despite big corporations making record profits.
  • Fergus' video received more than 37,000 views and many comments from Aussies sharing their disdain for big supermarket chains.
  • In February, Woolworths posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14 per cent increase from the previous year.
Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

""Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!""

Of course it does. Inflation is measured based on the cost of most items relevant to the study.

Now tell me why Woolworths is selling a 10 pack of soft drinks cans for $11.00 where you can buy the same 10 pack at Coles for around $6.50.....GREED THAT IS ALL IT IS, while Brad Banducci is rubbing his hands in gleen and getting a pat on the shoulder by his Board and a hefty increase in his salary, let alone the extra bonuses.

Well people I rest my case.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
No it never ok to steal and you could be charged with theft and would cost you even more
I do not condone stealing in any ways or form.

And do you htink that the supermarkets will be the ones loosing out on it.??

Well think again, because they are not going to wear any of the losses but will undoubtedly increase the price of their merchandise a little more to cover for it.

Sure, the big Corporations are ripping us off bigtime but two wrongs don't make a right so stealing is not the way to go.
What needs to be done (but never will) is for everyone to avoid the big stores and shop locally at Mum and Dad stores and let the big stores spend days/weeks empty of customers. It wouldn't take long before prices in these stores dropped to more reasonable levels. ;)
100 percent correct.

And another thing which should be done as I ABSOLUTELY DETEST THE SELF SERVING CHECKOUTS. If there aren't any people at the checkout counter serving you, just leave the groceries in the trolley and walk out of the store/supermarket and let them go and put them back on their shelves.

You will soon find out how long it will take for them to reopen the checkout counters.

It looks like Supermarkets are allowed to steal from their vulnerable customers but do not like customers stealing from them.
Did Coles also tell the Pensioners of Australia that it is okay to increase their Coles frozen cold brand meals from $3.10 a few weeks ago to $4.00 this week.
That is about a 30% increase in one hit when Coles promised to keep prices to reasonable levels.
Thanks Coles, for not looking after the venerable people of Australia, by ripping us off again.

Petrol self service and self pay, does that make it ok to steal a few litres of petrol as well? Also when paying an account by EFT, it is ok to pay as bit less as I didn't pay the supplier by cash?
Hi Pete of Tas, Well the other day while travelling, I got a big shock when I pulled up in this small town to fill my car up and to buy a couple of sandwiches.
As soon as I pulled up at the bowser this middle aged man (A LIITLE MORE THAN MIDDLE AGED) came out and started filling my car and then he washed my windscreen and asked me if I wanted to check the oil as well.

I said that the oil would be okay because I only got the car serviced the day before but I asked him as to why he is still doing it in the old ways when today it is all self served.

His reply.....I am still applying the old ways as I am a strong believer in service to my customers. In small towns usually the owner operator is seriously considering his/hers clients. ........................ That is what it's called service and believe it or not I gave him $10 as a tip and he didn't want it to whcih I replied...Give it someone in needs or to your Local Red Cross.

And that is true. In major centres, serivce stations are owned by big corporantion where the profits dictates the terms. People running them don't even come out from behind the counter.

• Love
No choice where I live. You either shop at Woolworths or IGA (& many of their prices are higher than Woolies) or you don't shop anywhere. Over the years since both Woolworths & Coles expanded into the supermarket area they have taken over from many small businesses e.g. milkman, baker, pastrycooks, newsagents & the list goes on. But the big question is - how do we stop this?
I know it is hard. But, think of it in this way...They know it too. They know that you are forced to shop with them and they take full advantage of it.

I think that if all the people there move to IGA and leave Woolworths alone for a few weeks, Woolworth will soon change it's tune. When Woolworth comes back to their senses and drop their prices and increase their customers service, then you all move to Woolworth and let the local IGA suffer for a while.

Believe me.....You will be surprised at what you will get in return.

Stealing is stealing and it is wrong. I agree with Ricci from earlier this morning. We should also adopt the same practice with fuel outlets, it would only take one week of boycotting one particular brand, to bring the prices down to where they should be.
100% correct.

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

All big companies score huge profits and have no consideration for the difficulty lower income families or pensioners have in affording life’s essentials. It’s daylight robbery by these companies just to satisfy their inversions and line their own greedy pockets. 😡😡😡

its never ok to steal no matter who has the money or not. I would love to not be on a pension and afford to shop at IGA full time, but I can't.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a petition signed by thousands to stop price gouging - maybe the big food chains would sit up and take notice.

That's exactly what I did. There were no manned checkouts opened yet 8.45am so I went to the expresslane with quite a full trolley load, was told it was too much to put thru there, despite nobody else waiting, so I said well you can either serve me or put everything back on the shelvesThey served me.
I am getting really p*ssed with the self service too as they (supermarket) try to deal with theft issues and they introduce their AI Cams on self service.... I am getting so annoyed with a trolley load and NO checkouts b4 9am so self service is the only way. The damned AI keeps getting hung up on "theft" suspected when scanning multiples of the same item (try buying some couple weeks worth tins of cat food :-( ) and the terminal stopping for an operator to manually view the video and clear the error over and over.... Then when you can remove a bag to make way for the other items in your trolley (terminal lights up Green light to allow you to make space) of course you put the bag in your trolley, not the putrid floor, then the AI starts whining for a store employee to check the trolley coz it aint empty when you try to pay..... ARGH. It's probably an extra 3 or 4 minutes overall but feels like 10 to me. I think on my next morning trolley load, I shall go to the only operator checkout (15 items express) and tell them to process the load, coz being treated like a criminal in self service is doing my head in!

Never right to steal, unless you are taking something back from someone who borrowed from you & didn't return it. (Most commonly tools).

Stealing from a store & getting caught means a fine, a ban from that store & embarrassment. A boycott sounds good but as already stated, how do we do that when they have what we need. People who are desperate can always receive charity from numerous organisations without stealing. Never heard of Fergus before. His comments are as funny as a fart in an elevator.

""Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!""

Of course it does. Inflation is measured based on the cost of most items relevant to the study.

Now tell me why Woolworths is selling a 10 pack of soft drinks cans for $11.00 where you can buy the same 10 pack at Coles for around $6.50.....GREED THAT IS ALL IT IS, while Brad Banducci is rubbing his hands in gleen and getting a pat on the shoulder by his Board and a hefty increase in his salary, let alone the extra bonuses.

Well people I rest my case.
Its been my observation that first the media start to speak of rising costs and then they have discussions left right and centre and suddenly to goes the prices of items in the supermarkets..., either they all collude together with a choreography of "next scam to rip off our loyal(ignorant) customers or it's a genuine decision... I'm inclined to think it's been well analysed and after consultations the increases are implemented or else it's standard practice to increase a number of chosen items per week and have it implemented weekly... meanwhile starting out prices are down and stay down... could be a true statement but that is also imo a red herring comment whilst increasing other item costs.. just my thoughts.

I also love how this comment leaves room for compassion (not saying all the others didn't, of course!) for those slipping between the cracks. I hope your friend has since seen better days, @MaggieAmalia 🙏

Yes ty indeed my friend has had high moments in her life.. but here's the thing, as a natural born gifted spirutual healer whst guard with that calling is the constant onslaught of nasty attacks by the dark side ( and yes, they do exist) the more she was helping people the more dreadful attacks so ive day the decision was made to not help others any more and ask was then ok

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Under no circumstance is it ok to steal, in saying this if I had kids and no money for food and I've used up all sources and my kids were starving maybe I would but thank goodness I have never been in this situation and with all the help from charities nobody should be in this situation.

No it's not ok to steal from supermarkets, but it is about time supermarkets give back some of their huge profits by bring food items down.

Funny you don't see the coles commercial anymore DOWN DOWN
That was dreadful, I’m glad it stopped! Now if they stoped ‘no added hormones for no hormones I’d be very happy!

No choice where I live. You either shop at Woolworths or IGA (& many of their prices are higher than Woolies) or you don't shop anywhere. Over the years since both Woolworths & Coles expanded into the supermarket area they have taken over from many small businesses e.g. milkman, baker, pastrycooks, newsagents & the list goes on. But the big question is - how do we stop this?
Yes, they are like Bunnings and Spotlight, ruined the hardware and haberdashery shops. All the small businesses wiped out by greedy larger corporations.