Shoppers taking matters into their own hands: Is it okay to steal from supermarkets amid the cost-of-living crisis?

It’s no secret there’s been a huge increase in the cost of living across the country. Prices for everything – from everyday essentials to fuel – have soared, and many Australians are finding themselves struggling to stay afloat.

But amid the inflationary pressures, one Melbourne-based comedian is advising everyone to take matters into their own hands

Comedian Fergus Neal is encouraging shoppers to ‘do their national duty’ and steal from supermarket giant Woolworths..

The 20-something comedian made the petition in a recently shared video on social media. In it, he claimed that inflation is being used as a ‘smoke screen’ by the major retailer as an excuse to increase prices even more.

‘Next time you're at Woolworths, do your Australian duty and steal a g****mn lettuce. Because Woolworths knows, like the European banks uncovered, that it's not wage increases driving inflation, it is the increases in corporate profit,’ Fergus said.

lettuce1.jpg
The comedian is urging everyone to steal lettuce from Woolworths. Credit: Daian Gan/Pexels

According to Fergus, increased costs due to supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto customers despite big corporations making huge profits.

‘Inflation is being used as a smoke screen so that Woolworths can add to their 2 billion a year profit margins instead of easily absorbing costs associated with supply chain issues and energy prices,’ he claimed in the video.

Based on a previous report, large retailers have revealed how they’ve made high-profit results amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

Millionaire businessmen Jack Gance and Mario Verrocchi – owners of the discount retail chain Chemist Warehouse – reportedly sat at numbers 60 and 63, respectively, on Australia’s Rich List in 2021, despite the pandemic. You can read more about this story here.

lettuce2.jpg
He claimed that major retailers are using inflation as an excuse to drive up prices. Credit: The Fergus Neal/TikTok

Fergus also added that the Reserve Bank is aware of this move by corporations and that their solution is to curb consumer’s ‘spending power’ by ‘demanding wages fail to increase while interest rates do’.

‘Your buying power is being affected so that the buying power of corporate CEOs is not,’ he stated.

Fergus’ petition has since gone viral, receiving more than 37,000 views and more than 150 comments, with many Aussies sharing their disdain for the big supermarket chains, feeling anger at their alleged greed, and citing the need for better pricing power. If you want to watch his video, you can do so below.

‘I’ve completely stopped shopping at Woolworths (or any large corporations) they can f right off,’ one wrote.

‘And people try to say corporate greed isn’t real, so many people literally defend the government and big corporations bending everyone over,’ someone else commented.

Another social media user said they were angry at every company who claimed that they were losing profits due to COVID-19 only to report that they ‘made record profits’.

‘If no staffed checkouts are open and I have to do the work myself, I take something for the effort,’ they added.

Theft is a criminal offence and can carry a penalty of up to five years imprisonment—the police deal with minor incidents (involving products valued at less than $150). Offenders are also issued an on-the-spot theft infringement notice.

Woolworths has yet to comment on the matter.

Woolworths recently posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14% increase from the previous year. Brad Banducci, Woolworths CEO, said that despite the continued supply chain challenges, most of the supermarket’s customer metrics improved during this time frame.

‘Our first half result benefitted from a focus on improving our customer shopping experience, restoring our operating rhythm, the non-recurrence of material COVID costs in the prior year and strong seasonal trading,’ he told reporters.

He continued: ‘Cost-of-living pressures are being felt by our customers due to industry-wide inflation, and helping all our customers get their Woolies worth remains our number one priority.’

Meanwhile, Coles posted a half-yearly result that saw total revenue of $20.8 billion and a profit of $616 million – up 17.1 per cent. According to the figures, the retailer’s total revenue was $12.4 million less than its rival – Woolworths saw $291 million more in profit.

National carrier Qantas also recorded a $1.4 billion profit, while the Commonwealth Bank of Australia reported a staggering $5.15 billion profit – a 9 per cent increase in revenue.

Research has also shown that excessive corporate profits – and not Australian wages – were behind the skyrocketing cost of living. The Australia Institute, a significant thinktank in the country, argued that big business earnings account for 69 per cent of the inflation, which is above the target range of two to three per cent.

Economist Dr Jim Stanford claimed that without excessive corporate price increases and profits, the Reserve Bank’s nine consecutive interest rate hikes would have been ‘unlikely’.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions Secretary Sally McManus said: ’Inflation is being fed by these companies putting up prices far more than they need to.’

‘Wage growth is clearly not contributing to inflation. Any wage rises in 2022, and early 2023 have been eaten up by price rises and interest rate rises.’

Ms McManus also claimed that major retailers have been increasing prices more than necessary, and their workers are feeling the pinch.

‘Big companies know people have no choice other than to pay the prices they set for essentials such as groceries and energy, and business is making record profits and driving up inflation.’
Key Takeaways
  • Australian comedian, Fergus Neal, urges shoppers to steal from Woolworths in response to soaring prices and inflation.
  • Fergus claims increased costs from supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto the consumer despite big corporations making record profits.
  • Fergus' video received more than 37,000 views and many comments from Aussies sharing their disdain for big supermarket chains.
  • In February, Woolworths posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14 per cent increase from the previous year.
Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am getting really p*ssed with the self service too as they (supermarket) try to deal with theft issues and they introduce their AI Cams on self service.... I am getting so annoyed with a trolley load and NO checkouts b4 9am so self service is the only way. The damned AI keeps getting hung up on "theft" suspected when scanning multiples of the same item (try buying some couple weeks worth tins of cat food :-( ) and the terminal stopping for an operator to manually view the video and clear the error over and over.... Then when you can remove a bag to make way for the other items in your trolley (terminal lights up Green light to allow you to make space) of course you put the bag in your trolley, not the putrid floor, then the AI starts whining for a store employee to check the trolley coz it aint empty when you try to pay..... ARGH. It's probably an extra 3 or 4 minutes overall but feels like 10 to me. I think on my next morning trolley load, I shall go to the only operator checkout (15 items express) and tell them to process the load, coz being treated like a criminal in self service is doing my head in!
Dreadful state of affairs and i feel your with the system.
I totally reject the self service checkout section and will line up behind a que of customers at the only cash register that has an operator. I keep an Eagle eye out for staff member walking past and get their attention and request that other registers be immediately opened to service the que of customers. If no staff member walks by i sheesh to the customers behind myself and ask that she keep an eye on my position in the line and i go to the enquires kiosk and request they call out of their audio system for immediate backup staff. It always happens. I'm not about to grumble and do a slow internal burn without any action.. no way. Irrespectively i have been treated with respect by staff members and i and other customers are insistent attended to.

My only gripe is that the cashiers at the registers stand for hours on their feet and that is a health issue Imo as blood just pools there and the person would be experiencing some discomfort and still be polite, cheerful and efficient service. In fact I'll request that when i see management on my next visit in store.

Stealing issue... wrong on every level and no excuses by anyone and to suggest that is not on. Granted, historically the first Aussie settlers POME
( prisoners of Mother England) were convicts and often under extreme survival pressures with an outrageous, out of proportion and indeed a cruel and horrendous punishment. No wonder we have historically affection for Need Kelly and Moondayne Joe
It’s no secret there’s been a huge increase in the cost of living across the country. Prices for everything – from everyday essentials to fuel – have soared, and many Australians are finding themselves struggling to stay afloat.

But amid the inflationary pressures, one Melbourne-based comedian is advising everyone to take matters into their own hands

Comedian Fergus Neal is encouraging shoppers to ‘do their national duty’ and steal from supermarket giant Woolworths..

The 20-something comedian made the petition in a recently shared video on social media. In it, he claimed that inflation is being used as a ‘smoke screen’ by the major retailer as an excuse to increase prices even more.

‘Next time you're at Woolworths, do your Australian duty and steal a g****mn lettuce. Because Woolworths knows, like the European banks uncovered, that it's not wage increases driving inflation, it is the increases in corporate profit,’ Fergus said.

View attachment 19347
The comedian is urging everyone to steal lettuce from Woolworths. Credit: Daian Gan/Pexels

According to Fergus, increased costs due to supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto customers despite big corporations making huge profits.

‘Inflation is being used as a smoke screen so that Woolworths can add to their 2 billion a year profit margins instead of easily absorbing costs associated with supply chain issues and energy prices,’ he claimed in the video.

Based on a previous report, large retailers have revealed how they’ve made high-profit results amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

Millionaire businessmen Jack Gance and Mario Verrocchi – owners of the discount retail chain Chemist Warehouse – reportedly sat at numbers 60 and 63, respectively, on Australia’s Rich List in 2021, despite the pandemic. You can read more about this story here.

View attachment 19349
He claimed that major retailers are using inflation as an excuse to drive up prices. Credit: The Fergus Neal/TikTok

Fergus also added that the Reserve Bank is aware of this move by corporations and that their solution is to curb consumer’s ‘spending power’ by ‘demanding wages fail to increase while interest rates do’.

‘Your buying power is being affected so that the buying power of corporate CEOs is not,’ he stated.

Fergus’ petition has since gone viral, receiving more than 37,000 views and more than 150 comments, with many Aussies sharing their disdain for the big supermarket chains, feeling anger at their alleged greed, and citing the need for better pricing power. If you want to watch his video, you can do so below.

‘I’ve completely stopped shopping at Woolworths (or any large corporations) they can f right off,’ one wrote.

‘And people try to say corporate greed isn’t real, so many people literally defend the government and big corporations bending everyone over,’ someone else commented.

Another social media user said they were angry at every company who claimed that they were losing profits due to COVID-19 only to report that they ‘made record profits’.

‘If no staffed checkouts are open and I have to do the work myself, I take something for the effort,’ they added.

Theft is a criminal offence and can carry a penalty of up to five years imprisonment—the police deal with minor incidents (involving products valued at less than $150). Offenders are also issued an on-the-spot theft infringement notice.

Woolworths recently posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14% increase from the previous year. Brad Banducci, Woolworths CEO, said that despite the continued supply chain challenges, most of the supermarket’s customer metrics improved during this time frame.

‘Our first half result benefitted from a focus on improving our customer shopping experience, restoring our operating rhythm, the non-recurrence of material COVID costs in the prior year and strong seasonal trading,’ he told reporters.

He continued: ‘Cost-of-living pressures are being felt by our customers due to industry-wide inflation, and helping all our customers get their Woolies worth remains our number one priority.’

Meanwhile, Coles posted a half-yearly result that saw total revenue of $20.8 billion and a profit of $616 million – up 17.1 per cent. According to the figures, the retailer’s total revenue was $12.4 million less than its rival – Woolworths saw $291 million more in profit.

National carrier Qantas also recorded a $1.4 billion profit, while the Commonwealth Bank of Australia reported a staggering $5.15 billion profit – a 9 per cent increase in revenue.

Research has also shown that excessive corporate profits – and not Australian wages – were behind the skyrocketing cost of living. The Australia Institute, a significant thinktank in the country, argued that big business earnings account for 69 per cent of the inflation, which is above the target range of two to three per cent.

Economist Dr Jim Stanford claimed that without excessive corporate price increases and profits, the Reserve Bank’s nine consecutive interest rate hikes would have been ‘unlikely’.

The Australian Council of Trade Unions Secretary Sally McManus said: ’Inflation is being fed by these companies putting up prices far more than they need to.’

‘Wage growth is clearly not contributing to inflation. Any wage rises in 2022, and early 2023 have been eaten up by price rises and interest rate rises.’

Ms McManus also claimed that major retailers have been increasing prices more than necessary, and their workers are feeling the pinch.

‘Big companies know people have no choice other than to pay the prices they set for essentials such as groceries and energy, and business is making record profits and driving up inflation.’
Key Takeaways

• Australian comedian, Fergus Neal, urges shoppers to steal from Woolworths in response to soaring prices and inflation.
  • Fergus claims increased costs from supply chain issues and energy prices are being passed onto the consumer despite big corporations making record profits.
  • Fergus' video received more than 37,000 views and many comments from Aussies sharing their disdain for big supermarket chains.
  • In February, Woolworths posted a $907 million profit for the first half of the 2022 to 2023 financial year – a 14 per cent increase from the previous year.
Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below

It's never ok to steal but if a person is so desperate who am i to judge.. of i had the money in that moment I'd pay for them. Looking into your heart reveals who is in genuine need or just a pretty thief.
I suggest that politicians and the government be held accountable for promises made to ease they plight of our people out very neighbours and self who are at tubes in great need of financial relief without having the need in desperation to feed our families or self of seeing a charity for help. I have on occasions been totally money poor when a sole parent
(Single mother!! Never abandoned by a selfish partner ... a offensive description or badger off honour for the woman bearing the whole responsibility and being both mother/father the same time... heroines imo.
But never in the most desperate times have i resorted to stealing.

My beloved gf in NSW shared once he she had no food no money and was in a church begging for help for her two children and husband. Very distraught she looked the altar as c she was there in front of it in her knees when she noticed paper money there. She got up and went to the money gathered it all up and all the while thanking God for prayers answered.. she ran off the church in case she was stopped. I believe was right... it was intended for her.

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

Members, what do you think about this story? Are big supermarkets’ profits fuelling the inflation crisis? Do you think it’s okay to steal in this circumstance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

Stealing is wrong and should never be encouraged

Before today, I had never heard of Fergus Neal.
After today, I'll probably forget that I ever did unless he gets arrested in a spray of publicity.
Comedian? Like Hannah Gadsby, almost as funny as an orphanage fire.
Totally agree and Hannah Gadsby....the corners of my mouth have never moved when I have seen her on tv....not funny in my books. The humour we had years ago is the ones I enjoy.

These large chain supermarkets were only able to take the place of the smaller independant Milko's/Bakers/Butchers/Milk Bars etc because they were more convenient, had a larger range of products and were cheaper, and because the consumers flocked to them. No good now saying you want all the little guys back and your willing to pay a premium to have them back, and you would be paying more for the services because it costs more for a small business to buy the products in smaller volume and deliver the service due to overheads. Not everyone is willing to pay more, especially with the current levels of increased cost of living. Also remember the Government likes to see businesses making record profits because it means more money for them to spend(and waste).

A lot of people steal from the supermarkets daily! Isn’t taking a shopping trolley home or leaving it outside your house also an offence? If I openly stole an item in store I’d be fined, but apparently to “steal” a trolley is not. !
I have on many occasions
reported my feelings about the trolleys being "stolen" but they don't
seem to worry they just add the loss cost to the cost of groceries and we all pay

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

Yes. Big business greed is driving up inflation. It is absolutely disgusting, that these supermarket chains are so expensive that some of us, can't afford many basics.
Although it would prove a good lesson, for them, should we all steal from them, as they steal from us, it is breaking the law, so I don't think it is the right thing to do, unfortunately.

A lot of people steal from the supermarkets daily! Isn’t taking a shopping trolley home or leaving it outside your house also an offence? If I openly stole an item in store I’d be fined, but apparently to “steal” a trolley is not. !
Agree Jillhodges. As to this fool making these comments it will not be him family the courts on stealing charges if customers decide to follow his ins. Stealing is stealing. If Woolworths are price gouging or inflating the costs illegally they will be fined. Stealing is stealing in my book.

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

It comes down to your personal integrity and values. Stealing is an offence and I am certainly against breaking the law and using others, including businesses, as an excuse.

I totally reject the self service checkout section and will line up behind a que of customers at the only cash register that has an operator. I keep an Eagle eye out for staff member walking past and get their attention and request that other registers be immediately opened to service the que of customers. If no staff member walks by i sheesh to the customers behind myself and ask that she keep an eye on my position in the line and i go to the enquires kiosk and request they call out of their audio system for immediate backup staff. It always happens. I'm not about to grumble and do a slow internal burn without any action.. no way. Irrespectively i have been treated with respect by staff members and i and other customers are insistent attended to.

My only gripe is that the cashiers at the registers stand for hours on their feet and that is a health issue Imo as blood just pools there and the person would be experiencing some discomfort and still be polite, cheerful and efficient service. In fact I'll request that when i see management on my next visit in store.

Stealing issue... wrong on every level and no excuses by anyone and to suggest that is not on. Granted, historically the first Aussie settlers POME
( prisoners of Mother England) were convicts and often under extreme survival pressures with an outrageous, out of proportion and indeed a cruel and horrendous punishment. No wonder we have historically affection for Need Kelly and Moondayne Joe

It's never ok to steal but if a person is so desperate who am i to judge.. of i had the money in that moment I'd pay for them. Looking into your heart reveals who is in genuine need or just a pretty thief.
I suggest that politicians and the government be held accountable for promises made to ease they plight of our people out very neighbours and self who are at tubes in great need of financial relief without having the need in desperation to feed our families or self of seeing a charity for help. I have on occasions been totally money poor when a sole parent
(Single mother!! Never abandoned by a selfish partner ... a offensive description or badger off honour for the woman bearing the whole responsibility and being both mother/father the same time... heroines imo.

My beloved gf in NSW shared once he she had no food no money and was in a church begging for help for her two children and husband. Very distraught she looked the altar as c she was there in front of it in her knees when she noticed paper money there. She got up and went to the money gathered it all up and all the while thanking God for prayers answered.. she ran off the church in case she was stopped. I believe was right... it was intended for her.
Stealing is taking something which does not belong to you & which you didn't pay for. The money in the church was given to the church & what your "beloved gf" did was to steal from the church. Shame on her & shame on you for thinking she had the right to do this. It was not intended for her. It was intended for the running of the church & all its services.

Despite everyone feeling like Woolies and other big supermarkets could do all of us better, not one comment condoned his bizarre suggestion. Definitely a day I'm thankful for knowing how to read :LOL:

I also love how this comment leaves room for compassion (not saying all the others didn't, of course!) for those slipping between the cracks. I hope your friend has since seen better days, @MaggieAmalia 🙏

Sure, the big Corporations are ripping us off bigtime but two wrongs don't make a right so stealing is not the way to go.
What needs to be done (but never will) is for everyone to avoid the big stores and shop locally at Mum and Dad stores and let the big stores spend days/weeks empty of customers. It wouldn't take long before prices in these stores dropped to more reasonable levels. ;)
What is really so wrong that a business makes a profit, be it large or small? That is why they are in business. They employ people and give them a good standard of living. Idiots like this comedian ought to understand some facets of business that seem to have been forgotten in this whole debate, it just makes me sick. Get a life, please!

All the big Corporations are making money hand over fist, while continually whining about supply chain issues and lack of staff!
The rubber meets the road when they have to reveal their annual profits though- and you can be sure, these are after the highly paid creative accountants have done their best work!!
From banks to supermarkets, petrol companies to airlines its total BS!

However I’m not a thief . . .

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

Are we surprised remember back in the 70s one brilliant man with a Rohdes Scholarship, FORMER Prime Minister, Mr Bob Hawke stated when the big corporations got hold of our Supermarkets and Petrol Stations and screwed our Farmers with there megre prices that the Country would suffer and everyone blamed the Unions and the Labor Party 🥳 🎉 😉

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19349

Key Takeaways

And when you are caught shop lifting don't go screaming to Channel 9 asking for mercy. Shop lifting could include time living in one of the governments hostels for a while. Myself, I think the author of this dumb article should be charged with aiding and abetting a criminal offence- very dumb.

Stealing is stealing and it is wrong. I agree with Ricci from earlier this morning. We should also adopt the same practice with fuel outlets, it would only take one week of boycotting one particular brand, to bring the prices down to where they should be.

YES, companies steal as well. In fact I filled in a survey that Woolworths sent me yesterday and it took me about an hour. And I will say that I told them a lot and that had 'all the price increases and they and other stores like Coles used covid' .. that had this landed on my desk as an insurance claim that I would have immediately treated it as a Fraudulent' insurance claims and I assured them I knew/know what to look for in regards to the documentation that support it. Sadly, I did not add in regards to the shortage of toilet paper to all the notes. Ig could have easily proven that any retailer did the lack of supply and small packets were indeed a deliberate act. I also reminded that they had Duty of Care and in the end of the day they were accountable to shareholders.

I also reminded that they steal as well and that they did it to me often and their store managers do not call back even when advised to do so by Head Office. It happened to me this year. I also informed them that its the managers. The people at the very top causing the problems. Committing THEFT. I told them a lot more as well.

Guess what! I got a call back within fifteen minutes of me sending the completed survey. I got a call from my local Woolworth's who now want to rectify their theft.

With what I referred to in their survey I'm guessing the CEO, all their managers and even their HR manager is going to refer with what I said on their survey.

I hope that action speaks louder than words and that take due note with what I stated to them. Take note with absolutely everything that I referred to and stated. The people at the top (managers) think that they are untouchable. If anything, they are the ones that are accountable and also in some cases, face imprisonment. Why, because they get $Top Dollar and $Financial Rewards.