Shoppers slam Woolworths for “spray painting” the fresh flowers for sale in its bouquets — “Not happy, Woolworths!”

A number of shoppers have pointed out that supermarket giant Woolworths has been "spray painting" the fresh flowers it sells in its stores.

Taking their rumblings to social media, Woolies customers shared photos of the blooms which were allegedly painted pink, expressing their disappointment with the painted flowers.

qYwWNJEtkdNN_BC32webe6-er8-o3K90dUjFOPZyB63byMGKyNZVeYZBrysPpq8Q4AD6UKSiU6m24enXy_VJQq4JFb_C7-NLDadruS9LHTR-6TZ7PR4M1MyI7IXEjvnSJRVffI3HNWzSWZsg

Customers said that they weren’t impressed with the spray painted flowers. Credit: Twitter.

“Clearly I have been oblivious to this, but when did we start spray painting the flowers? Not happy Woolworths,” wrote one of the shoppers.

Another shared images of her blooms, writing: “$20 for 4 sad painted blooms?!!!”

“Woolworths, so my Mother’s Day flowers have been spray painted to look nice - thanks for that," another shared.

“Your offer just gets better and better - RIP OFF.”

qNyWNLKMIC0FY1dR_nmLVdjkhI2_lWpGJWb920HmOVc3RtlfCD6dndUzKYaZ2BaQWCXiIViVtHa55qclZy4G9FvDZ0o0oBwZDK934c62VilenXU40_n84DAFIZKBWcQW8Bd42Byq8Cr4sSkH

Other customers labelled their flowers as “sad”. Credit: Twitter.

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that the company uses “bright coloured dye or floral paint” on some flowers, arguing that the practice is a popular "trend" and "standard" among florists around the world.

The spokesperson also insisted that it was not meant to hide any imperfections on the flowers.

The spokesperson said: “We source fresh cut flowers across Australia and overseas because we know customers love the convenience of being able to not only get their groceries but also pick up a bunch of flowers for that special occasion.”

“The use of bright coloured dye or floral paints is a trend that has developed over the years and a standard practice for the floral industry worldwide."

“While we recognise they are not everyone’s cup of tea, they add some colour and difference to a range of bouquets."

“Dye and floral paints used on fresh flowers is not an attempt to hide any defects or imperfections."

“The dye is non-toxic, non-irritating and is 100% biodegradable.”

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it is okay to spray paint flowers to make them more attractive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Flowers are totally naturally beautiful, but I guess there is appeal to some who enjoy a bit of artistry.
In Woolies, I saw some huge white chrysanthemums with very delicate pink borders.
I did not realise at the time that they'd been painted, but I wondered how they'd been created. I thought there was a very clever horticulturist.
I'd grown my own white ones for my Mum's grave.

Shoppers slam Woolworths for “spray painting” the fresh flowers for sale in its bouquets — “Not happy, Woolworths!”

A number of shoppers have pointed out that supermarket giant Woolworths has been "spray painting" the fresh flowers it sells in its stores.

Taking their rumblings to social media, Woolies customers shared photos of the blooms which were allegedly painted pink, expressing their disappointment with the painted flowers.

qYwWNJEtkdNN_BC32webe6-er8-o3K90dUjFOPZyB63byMGKyNZVeYZBrysPpq8Q4AD6UKSiU6m24enXy_VJQq4JFb_C7-NLDadruS9LHTR-6TZ7PR4M1MyI7IXEjvnSJRVffI3HNWzSWZsg

Customers said that they weren’t impressed with the spray painted flowers. Credit: Twitter.

“Clearly I have been oblivious to this, but when did we start spray painting the flowers? Not happy Woolworths,” wrote one of the shoppers.

Another shared images of her blooms, writing: “$20 for 4 sad painted blooms?!!!”

“Woolworths, so my Mother’s Day flowers have been spray painted to look nice - thanks for that," another shared.

qNyWNLKMIC0FY1dR_nmLVdjkhI2_lWpGJWb920HmOVc3RtlfCD6dndUzKYaZ2BaQWCXiIViVtHa55qclZy4G9FvDZ0o0oBwZDK934c62VilenXU40_n84DAFIZKBWcQW8Bd42Byq8Cr4sSkH

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that the company uses “bright coloured dye or floral paint” on some flowers, arguing that the practice is a popular "trend" and "standard" among florists around the world.

The spokesperson also insisted that it was not meant to hide any imperfections on the flowers.

The spokesperson said: “We source fresh cut flowers across Australia and overseas because we know customers love the convenience of being able to not only get their groceries but also pick up a bunch of flowers for that special occasion.”

“The use of bright coloured dye or floral paints is a trend that has developed over the years and a standard practice for the floral industry worldwide."

“While we recognise they are not everyone’s cup of tea, they add some colour and difference to a range of bouquets."

“Dye and floral paints used on fresh flowers is not an attempt to hide any defects or imperfections."

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it is okay to spray paint flowers to make them more attractive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!
No. They should nature alone.

Use people power ie Do Not buy them, If nobody buys them and they have to throw them out they will lose profit. Have a good look at the bunches of flowers if they look like they have been painted walk away and go to a different shop, People power a very powerful tool if people leave flowers that have been painted in store. Trust me if they have to throw them out because they didn't sell that practice will soon stop, Also complain to the staff and management. Tell them you refuse to buy painted flowers.
You have the right complain to the staff and management if unsatisfied with the product you are purchasing.
It is called " People Power" it is a very strong tool if enough people use it.
If I am unsatisfied with a purchase I complain, the last thing any business wants is bad publicity etc

Well, they get a bit forlorn coming as they do from South America a long way from fresh.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci

If i want fresh flowers that is what I expect.....I CAN PAINT MY OWN FLOWERS......THAT IS FALSE ADVERTISING.......THEY ARE NOT SO FRESH!!!!

When we buy fresh flowers we go to our local florist costs a bit more but she does beautiful arrangements and they are delivered on a daily basis and you won't find any cost cutting dismal bunches there and it is supporting a local business who know their trade.

Maybe they think the painted flowers look better, but the pink leaves sure spoil the "fresh, natural" look.
All in all - not good enough.

Reactions: Ricci