Shoppers in uproar as fan-favourite biscuit has vanished from stores

In a country where a cuppa and a biscuit is a cherished ritual, the sudden disappearance of a beloved treat from supermarket shelves can cause quite a stir.

This is precisely what happened recently when Arnott's Nice biscuits, a staple in many Australian households, seemed to vanish into thin air, leaving loyal customers bewildered and craving their sugar-coated comfort.

For those who have been frantically searching the biscuit aisle to no avail, you're not alone.

Over the past two weeks, reports have been flooding in from concerned biscuit lovers who feared that the classic Nice biscuits had been discontinued.

Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 7.59.05 AM.png
Have you also noticed the disappearance of Arnott’s Nice biscuits in your stores? Credit: Arnott’s

However, before you start hoarding any remaining packets you might find tucked away in the pantry, there's good news on the horizon.

Arnott's Australia has spoken and was assured that the disappearance is only temporary. The company confirmed that there had been a 'temporary delay in supply', though they did not provide details on what caused the delay.

‘Rest assured, our delicious Nice biscuits will be back on supermarket shelves in the coming weeks after experiencing a temporary supply delay,’ an Arnott's spokesperson said.

It's understood that stock has already left warehouses and is en route to supermarkets across the country.

In the meantime, Arnott's has suggested that fans of the Nice biscuit might find solace in their Family Favourite variety packs.

These packs include a selection of Arnott's classics, such as Milk Arrowroot, Butternut Snap, Scotch Finger, Chocolate Ripple, Teddy Bear, and Milk Coffee biscuits.

But with only six Nice biscuits per variety pack, you might find yourself in a friendly scuffle for the last one.

Arnott's, a company with a rich history dating back to 1875 in Newcastle, New South Wales, has long been a part of Australia's cultural fabric, producing a range of plain and sweet biscuits and cakes.

The company, originally known as Arnott's Steam Biscuit Factory, quickly expanded from shipping to Sydney to establishing warehouses and distribution networks around the country.

The origin of the Nice biscuit itself is a topic of debate. While Arnott's claims to have invented the biscuit, a British company, Huntley & Palmers, also stakes a claim, having produced a Nice biscuit as early as 1904.

There's even an urban legend suggesting that the biscuit was named after the French city of Nice following Queen Victoria's visit to the South of France.
Key Takeaways
  • Arnott's Nice biscuits have been missing from supermarket shelves due to a temporary supply delay.
  • Arnott's Australia confirmed that the biscuits have not been discontinued and will return to shelves in the coming weeks.
  • In the meantime, consumers can purchase Family Favourite variety packs, which include Nice biscuits, among other selections.
  • The Nice biscuit has a disputed origin story, with both Arnott's and a British company claiming to have invented it.
Do you love Arnott’s Nice biscuits? What’s your favourite biscuit you’d wish to return? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: BJM
Sponsored
I always loved Spicy Fruit Rolls but can never find them where I live. My daughter found some in Brisbane for me but they are not the same as they used to be. They must have changed the recipe.
Yeah I reckon so too there awful there’s a recipe on here to make your own.😊

Reactions: PattiB and janj
They got rid of the lattice biscuits,the thin little square plain morning tea biscuits,the lemon crisps and more I can't recall this minute.They don't taste anything like they used to gowing up,are really thin and tasting of cardboard like the milk arrowroots from Aldi.Ah for the good old days

I like my Nice biscuits and have one with my morning tea each day. I have missed them the last few weeks. Though they do not taste the same as they did years ago. When the Arnotts factory moved years ago to new modern premises, it also changed the quality of their products. They are just the not same as they used to be. The price of progress.

Reactions: PattiB
As long as no one tampers with my personal favourite, double coated chocolate Tim tams I’ll be happy. A lot of the biscuits I used to enjoy are now tasteless so Ive giving up buying them. I am rather partial to Byron Bay cookies, especially Dottie’s & choc chip ones.

Reactions: Littleboy8
As long as no one tampers with my personal favourite, double coated chocolate Tim tams I’ll be happy. A lot of the biscuits I used to enjoy are now tasteless so Ive giving up buying them. I am rather partial to Byron Bay cookies, especially Dottie’s & choc chip ones.
I love double coated choc tim tams my fav once you start hard to stop😋 and Byron bay cookies are delicious my brother bought me a couple of bags of them and I ate a whole bag at once. 🐷 yes no doubt.oink 🐷 oink 🐷 🤣

I had been looking for Arnott Raspberry Shortcake biscuits for weeks and couldn’t find them. I wrote to Arnott to ask if they had been discontinued and received a reply that there has been delays in supplies and they would be back in the supermarkets mid September. I suppose there will be less biscuits in there packets also.

I used to love them until they started putting sugar in Sesame Wheat crackers, which changed the taste. And from then I started noticing, others had changed.
Since Arnold's are not Australian any more, my loyalty has changed, and I find that Aldi's biscuit brand, Belmont, make similar biscuits IN AUSTRALIA, which are every bit as good, if not better, and almost half the price of Arnold's
Buy Australian

ive lately started to make my own biscuits. and to my surprise as to how many I can make for the same money ,and they last longer. it doesn't take long to do and ive gotten it down to one and a half hours and I can make 3 different batches of different biscuits, enough to last over a week.Next im going to try and double up and only bake half the mix and freeze the rest to bake another day.I think theres a lot of things in the kitchen we buy ready made as it was ok back then but in view of the rip offs and lesser quality baking at home is NOWworth a re-look. Nothing like the aroma of fresh cookies in the house on baking day

ive lately started to make my own biscuits. and to my surprise as to how many I can make for the same money ,and they last longer. it doesn't take long to do and ive gotten it down to one and a half hours and I can make 3 different batches of different biscuits, enough to last over a week.Next im going to try and double up and only bake half the mix and freeze the rest to bake another day.I think theres a lot of things in the kitchen we buy ready made as it was ok back then but in view of the rip offs and lesser quality baking at home is NOWworth a re-look. Nothing like the aroma of fresh cookies in the house on baking day
I’m making the tahini cookies from on here now there in the oven, next will be the mug chocolate cake from on here also. Yummy.😊

• Love
Reactions: PattiB