Shoppers are fuming over this 'frustrating' Kmart checkout detail! Do you agree?

Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

4539ed3564ed61c7b61b27c6feff5cb2246f86e8-4x3-x0y1w649h487.jpg

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘It’s horrendous on both sides of that transaction.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘I know right. I totally agree with you.’

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

One person argued: ‘I used to think it was nuts but it makes sense.’

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I was a regular shopper at KMart but find the checkout in the middle system stupid and unworkable especially as the last few occasions I have been there were no manned registers and I was expected to use self service which I refuse to do as it puts someone out of a job. Although I am only one customer they have certainly lost me.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Had to laugh at all those "indignant " people that complained about the registers being located centre store really? I think its pretty convenient! Also to the shoppers who said they felt like shoplifters...hmmmm feeling a little guilty there are we?? If that's all you have to whinge about how about you go get a life or better still shop elsewhere if you sensitive souls can't handle it.
Your comment isn’t necessary it’s rude & offensive everyone has different opinions / likes dislikes your comment is disrespectful ..

It’s a stupid idea to have the check out counter in the middle of the shop, I live in Alice Springs and it just encourages thief, I have never had my bags looked at and they never check my receipt to glance at it, Alice Springs is known for stealing, bring back the old counters.

Key Takeaways

I don’t mind where the checkout is at present. I don’t think it matters where the checkout is, we all go into buy whatever and leave. Can’t see what the big deal is!!

Why not use their current system but put it back at the front of the store?
Big W has this method and it is much better, in my opinion.
When I shop, I am usually looking for specific items so I’m not interested in ‘their methods’ to entice us to buy more.
I thoroughly agree that they should be put back at the front of the stores. I have seen so many people over the years not pay for goods and the person at the door hasn't checked their receipts. Just because they offer for the person at the door to look in their bag, they don't. I watched one woman shop a whole outfit, put some under her pram in a old K-mart bag and the rest into a Woollies shopping bag she had and then she threw her Childs jacket over the top of it. Again, she offered the store door person to look, but she knew damn well that they wouldn't. The amount of money K-mart must be loosing to theft would be incredible. Just too easy for the thieves.

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

I think I have mentioned before that by putting the cash registers in the middle of the store Kmart took up a large portion of the store that was Kitchen and home wares before as well as Womens clothing, all 3 of these sections are now useless, nothing advertised is ever in stock because there is no room to display it, if their deliver charges were not so high I would only be buying on line, as it is now I very rarely shop there as I know I will be dissapointed.

This rehash again, what about DJ's, Myers, JB HiFi, are you all bitching about them, noooo, I cant hear you, and why because they have always had this system. Forget about it, there are worse things in life to deal with than going to a shop that changed its system forever ago.

I agree,

Key Takeaways

I agree 💯

Key Takeaways

I agree on most poi

I agree with many when they say that the ques are shorter and the purchase process is quicker and there is less milling of people around the entrance. That does make for a pleasant atmosphere. However as an elderly person with severe osteoarthritis in both knees it makes it more difficult to have to walk back to the middle of the shop to purchase the items I selected at the front of the shop then walk back to the front of the shop again, rather than simply pay for it on my way out. I am sure I am not the only old lady with knee issues or similar.

Key Takeaways

With so much shoplifting going on these days, they have to check receipts etc, otherwise the cost of everything goes up to make up for the stealing. I'm quite happy to be checked on way out of the store. Also the checkout in the centre makes sense, never had to wait to use a register.

Imagine the horror my daughter and I went through when dropping into Kmart with our carry on luggage after a flight. We needed thongs, hats etc. They made us pull our small suitcases apart on the way out after spending a whole hr making everything fit. They had travel padlocks on them too. Questioned some clothing and a hairbrush (with some hairs in it).Would NEVER have gone in there if we had known. What a drama, and yes, have never been made to feel more like a crim.

We don't go to Albury Kmart very often but I remember last time we did...The guy on the door DID look about 15 ...also he looked as though he had wandered in off the street....shoddily dressed, scraggly long hair...he did not look as though he belonged there.
Kmart need to make sure their workers wear appropriate clothes...some sort of uniform.

I thoroughly agree that they should be put back at the front of the stores. I have seen so many people over the years not pay for goods and the person at the door hasn't checked their receipts. Just because they offer for the person at the door to look in their bag, they don't. I watched one woman shop a whole outfit, put some under her pram in a old K-mart bag and the rest into a Woollies shopping bag she had and then she threw her Childs jacket over the top of it. Again, she offered the store door person to look, but she knew damn well that they wouldn't. The amount of money K-mart must be loosing to theft would be incredible. Just too easy for the thieves.
Wow and I don’t understand why you would not say anything to the door person after seeing the person doing that.

They can do whatever they choose as far as I'm concerned. I can't remember the last time I actually went in the store but it would have to be 7 or 8 years ago. On the rare occasion I need something from Kmart I shop online, far easier and hassle free. :)

Key Takeaways

When you think about it shoplifting keeps costs up, I don’t mind a middle of store set up it used to be a cluttered mess at the door. My local k mart had a person who clicks your receipt with the machine , that apparently prevents people who might steal a second item and use receipt to return it. If it saves me money I can deal with waiting and at 82 it isn’t easy,

Wow and I don’t understand why you would not say anything to the door person after seeing the person doing that.
Couldn’t agree more, see something say something, I have seen security get right o to a shop,inter that was reported to the door person