Shoppers are feeling unsettled with this new 'invasive' feature at Coles

Many agree that modern advancements have made parts of our lives simpler.

However, there is a fine line between technological advancement and invasion of privacy—and Coles Supermarket might have tripped over it recently.

We recently wrote about how the recent security changes in supermarkets sparked concern among experts who have voiced their fears about fostering an undercurrent of 'distrust' and even 'trauma' for some shoppers while in stores.

Now, Coles shoppers across Australia have raised their eyebrows and shared some concerns about another security feature at their local self-serve Coles stations.

SDC Images (4).png
Customers have raised their eyebrows and voiced out their concerns about a new security feature at Coles. Image source: Shutterstock.

The feature—which captures an image of the shopper and flashes it on the top right corner of the checkout counter’s screen—has caused quite a stir, with shoppers dubbing it as 'really invasive'.

'[What is this]? When you put your groceries through at Coles, you see yourself on camera in this square. More surveillance overdrive,' the livid shopper said.

'I got a shock to see myself on the screen! Feels really invasive.'

It was reported that Coles implemented stringent security measures as a response to the rise of theft incidents which is up by 20 per cent this year.

However, even though these heightened security measures are deemed necessary by the retail giant, customers differ in opinion.

'I know they will justify their reasons for the cameras for like theft and whatnot, but I don't like them one bit,' one customer said.

While another added: 'Thanks for posting that, I value my privacy and won't be shopping there.'

Besides this function, Coles is reportedly keen on introducing many more in-store advancements, including cameras, trolley locks, fog machines, and smart gates.

'What we've done is taken the best of what's overseas and then enhanced it with a few other tweaks, so we believe we've got world-class loss-prevention technology in our stores,' Matt Swindells, the Chief Operation Officer at Coles said.

'If you're a thief, we're gonna catch [you],' he added.

Staff will also be wearing watches that could alert other co-workers when faced with trouble and bodycams that could record all their interactions—similar to what police officers use.

'If you're going to start to threaten a staff member, then we will document it and take the necessary actions.'

Furthermore, Coles reportedly installed automatic gates and high-tech surveillance in their self-serve checkout areas.

Woolworths spokesperson Mark van den Bosch demonstrated how the new technology works saying: 'Because I haven’t paid for my goods, the exit gates won’t open.'

Van den Bosch further discussed Woolworths’ decision to introduce this trial, stating they had seen a 'spike in shoplifting' in their stores.

You can read more about this story here.

Similarly, the supermarket had implemented an anti-theft measure where trolley wheels would be locked up if it contained alleged stolen items.

One shopper took to the internet to share his experience and warned other customers to exercise caution when leaving the store.

The man said he was pushing his toddler in a trolley—with nothing but empty reusable bags in it—out of a Moonee Ponds Coles store in Melbourne when an alarm was suddenly triggered. As the alarm began to beep, he realised the trolley wheels had locked up and could not move.

A cashier then verified that nothing had been stolen and 'magically unlocked' the trolley wheels with a hand-held device which allowed the man to pass through.

You can read more details about this anti-theft measure here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian shopper has expressed her concerns over new surveillance cameras installed at Coles supermarket's self-service checkouts.
  • The woman discovered her image displayed on a small screen while scanning her groceries, which she described as 'invasive' on social media.
  • Coles implemented the new surveillance as part of several security measures in response to the increased rate of theft, which has risen by 20 per cent this year.
  • Coles' new security measures have elicited mixed reactions, sparking privacy concerns amongst some customers, and it was noted that similar technology has been implemented by other retailers such as Woolworths and Kmart.
Members, what are your thoughts on Coles' new stringent security measures? Do you think these are enough to deter theft? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored

However, there is a fine line between technological advancement and invasion of privacy—and Coles Supermarket might have tripped over it recently.

We recently wrote about how the recent security changes in supermarkets sparked concern among experts who have voiced their fears about fostering an undercurrent of 'distrust' and even 'trauma' for some shoppers while in stores.

Now, Coles shoppers across Australia have raised their eyebrows and shared some concerns about another security feature at their local self-serve Coles stations.

View attachment 30833
Customers have raised their eyebrows and voiced out their concerns about a new security feature at Coles. Image source: Shutterstock.

The feature—which captures an image of the shopper and flashes it on the top right corner of the checkout counter’s screen—has caused quite a stir, with shoppers dubbing it as 'really invasive'.

'[What is this]? When you put your groceries through at Coles, you see yourself on camera in this square. More surveillance overdrive,' the livid shopper said.

It was reported that Coles implemented stringent security measures as a response to the rise of theft incidents which is up by 20 per cent this year.

However, even though these heightened security measures are deemed necessary by the retail giant, customers differ in opinion.

'I know they will justify their reasons for the cameras for like theft and whatnot, but I don't like them one bit,' one customer said.

While another added: 'Thanks for posting that, I value my privacy and won't be shopping there.'

Besides this function, Coles is reportedly keen on introducing many more in-store advancements, including cameras, trolley locks, fog machines, and smart gates.

'What we've done is taken the best of what's overseas and then enhanced it with a few other tweaks, so we believe we've got world-class loss-prevention technology in our stores,' Matt Swindells, the Chief Operation Officer at Coles said.

Staff will also be wearing watches that could alert other co-workers when faced with trouble and bodycams that could record all their interactions—similar to what police officers use.

'If you're going to start to threaten a staff member, then we will document it and take the necessary actions.'

Furthermore, Coles reportedly installed automatic gates and high-tech surveillance in their self-serve checkout areas.

Woolworths spokesperson Mark van den Bosch demonstrated how the new technology works saying: 'Because I haven’t paid for my goods, the exit gates won’t open.'

Van den Bosch further discussed Woolworths’ decision to introduce this trial, stating they had seen a 'spike in shoplifting' in their stores.

Similarly, the supermarket had implemented an anti-theft measure where trolley wheels would be locked up if it contained alleged stolen items.

One shopper took to the internet to share his experience and warned other customers to exercise caution when leaving the store.

The man said he was pushing his toddler in a trolley—with nothing but empty reusable bags in it—out of a Moonee Ponds Coles store in Melbourne when an alarm was suddenly triggered. As the alarm began to beep, he realised the trolley wheels had locked up and could not move.

A cashier then verified that nothing had been stolen and 'magically unlocked' the trolley wheels with a hand-held device which allowed the man to pass through.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian shopper has expressed her concerns over new surveillance cameras installed at Coles supermarket's self-service checkouts.
  • The woman discovered her image displayed on a small screen while scanning her groceries, which she described as 'invasive' on social media.
  • Coles implemented the new surveillance as part of several security measures in response to the increased rate of theft, which has risen by 20 per cent this year.
  • Coles' new security measures have elicited mixed reactions, sparking privacy concerns amongst some customers, and it was noted that similar technology has been implemented by other retailers such as Woolworths and Kmart.
Members, what are your thoughts on Coles' new stringent security measures? Do you think these are enough to deter theft? Let us know in the comments below!
People are so quick to claim invasion of privacy. HELLO you’re out in public dumb ass. Anyone could be standing nearby watching exactly the same as the camera is but you’re not complaining about Bill or Karen standing 2 meters away watching you. If you have nothing to hide the cameras mean nothing. I always believe those that complain are the same ones the cameras are there to catch.

Reactions: IAN3005

View attachment 30833

Key Takeaways

I couldn’t get out of woolworths the other day as the camera stated I had something still in my trolley - shopping from another store , I had to wait till the lady could come over and clear the machine , I understand they are experiencing a lot of thefts but it is their regular honest shoppers that are again paying the price for the few, I’m not going through the self serve again , going to go to proper check out operator from now on , of which there are getting less and less . “The price of progress “ 😡😡

So please tell us where you shop ? Because all the supermarkets will be doing same thing eventually.
I'll shop at the Asian stores.... they have no time for these shenanigans and games.
Then I'll leave the big uns to stew in their own juices.
By that time I will be living out of my car and surviving on o H2O or dead... one of the two.

People are so quick to claim invasion of privacy. HELLO you’re out in public dumb ass. Anyone could be standing nearby watching exactly the same as the camera is but you’re not complaining about Bill or Karen standing 2 meters away watching you. If you have nothing to hide the cameras mean nothing. I always believe those that complain are the same ones the cameras are there to catch.
You miss the point..... privacy

Firstly.... I refuse to use the self serve checkouts
and secondly, if they actually had manned checkouts instead, then there would be no need for such measures as every item would be physically seen and scanned.

Moral of the story.... simple....
if everyone refuses to use them they will have no choice but to man the registers again
thus giving back the opportunity of the much needed jobs...

the only... I repeat only reason they use these machines is to cut down on the (very meagre junior) salaries they have to pay out and increase their profit margins with those savings.

I do not and will not use self checkout, I will wait in line an hour with one item, I will leave a trolley full of groceries in the isle rather than use them.

My two cents worth

and secondly, if they actually had manned checkouts instead, then there would be no need for such measures as every item would be physically seen and scanned.

if everyone refuses to use them they will have no choice but to man the registers again

the only... I repeat only reason they use these machines is to cut down on the (very meagre junior) salaries they have to pay out and increase their profit margins with those savings.

I do not and will not use self checkout, I will wait in line an hour with one item, I will leave a trolley full of groceries in the isle rather than use them.

My two cents worth
Why do you think Coles and Woollies posted those disgraceful profits?

Maybe if they dropped back from their billion dollar profits and gave shoppers some relief at the check out they would not have to spend millions on security
They must look after the shareholder..... bugger the staff

View attachment 30833

Key Takeaways

Go through a register is you are worried about your privacy easy answer

That’s really very invasive technology… I won’t be shopping at Coles anymore…hope others and all will do the same… will be very very happy if one day an open Coles store will have not a single shopper inside!!! What a sight to behold!!
Let PEOPLE POWER WORK and not allow “giant” companies to dictate unreasonable rules to people that actually let this Shops exist!! No single customer to get in and shop no Coles!! Simple as that!!
I really hate how they assume everybody is a thief until your proven otherwise they should not have self serve registers if they are going to treat customers like that I wouldn't be going there

Coles Coles Coles I am not a fan anyway.I did crack up laughing reading your C.O.O. on theft is none other than Matt Swindells. So Matt actually Swindells himself at Coles.

Woolies also have cameras in the self serve check out. I'm surprised theft has only risen by 20% considering prices have gone up by up to 50%. Theft is already covered by their greedy profits that the honest people pay for, not Coles and Woolies. We also pay for these security measures, not the store. Just another excuse to jack up the prices so it won't come out of the greedy profits. Every one except Coles and Wollies has been affected by covid but they, and Aust post seem to be the only business making a profit since Covid. What does that tell you. Shop at Aldi and save a foutune.

That’s really very invasive technology… I won’t be shopping at Coles anymore…hope others and all will do the same… will be very very happy if one day an open Coles store will have not a single shopper inside!!! What a sight to behold!!
Let PEOPLE POWER WORK and not allow “giant” companies to dictate unreasonable rules to people that actually let this Shops exist!! No single customer to get in and shop no Coles!! Simple as that!!
You poor entitled little darling - obviously not a business owner.

View attachment 30833

Key Takeaways

View attachment 30833

Key Takeaways

If they are having so much trouble with self service get rid of them and hire real people.

Reactions: barbaranne

View attachment 30833

Key Takeaways

They're turning their poor staff into policemen. They need to employ more staff to serve customers instead of expanding the self service area!

My two cents worth
Well I like the self serve check outs. Never had a problem, staff at my Coles supermarket are fantastic.
Woolies also have cameras in the self serve check out. I'm surprised theft has only risen by 20% considering prices have gone up by up to 50%. Theft is already covered by their greedy profits that the honest people pay for, not Coles and Woolies. We also pay for these security measures, not the store. Just another excuse to jack up the prices so it won't come out of the greedy profits. Every one except Coles and Wollies has been affected by covid but they, and Aust post seem to be the only business making a profit since Covid. What does that tell you. Shop at Aldi and save a foutune
If they are having so much trouble with self service get rid of them and hire real people.
I don't have any trouble with self serve check outs. Don't use them if you don't like them. No one forces anyone to use them. It is called CHOICE.