Coles’ major move against theft could transform shopping as we know it

From trolley locks to body cameras, Coles supermarket is trialling next-level measures aimed at reducing the issue of theft in its stores.

It’s hardly news that crime and shoplifting cases have been on the rise lately across all retail stores. But the effects of theft have taken a particular toll on the supermarket industry, to the tune of a staggering $9 billion in losses a year.

The retailers have been working hard to combat these losses, with Coles introducing several innovative security solutions to counter thieves.

‘We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products,’ a spokesperson said.

compressed-2 (3).jpeg
Coles announced their new measure against supermarket thieves: 'smart gateway technology'. Credit: haireena/Shutterstock

The most recent announcement sees Coles introducing 'smart gateway technology', ensuring shoppers have paid for their items before leaving the store.

The gate is made up of two automated panels that let shoppers out after they've paid for their items. However, they otherwise remain shut to prevent people from making a run for it.

Coles also talked about the 'trolley lock' that automatically engages if sensors can detect that groceries in a trolley have not been paid for.

A spokesperson shared, ‘Trolley lock technology has been in place at a number of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register.’

Some of our members believed that this is a great idea. Member @Furbaby wrote: ‘This is a great idea as so much of it goes on these days. I have seen locks when going out of shopping centres, but if they can do it at supermarkets, it would be so good.’

Member @Observer suggested: ‘Maybe even have the wheels lock up if you're thinking about moving the trolley beyond the boundary of the car park and not out into the streets, suburbs and creeks.’

If you’d like to learn more about the trolley lock technology, you can read the article here.

Additionally, the supermarket has recently revealed its plan to roll out body-worn cameras across 30 high-risk stores in states including South Australia, Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

377708029_10223602574921491_42184752929053413_n.jpg
Coles introduced body-worn cameras across 30 stores. Credit: Susan Wilkin/Facebook

The cameras are worn by Coles staff and give the company their eyes and ears on the ground.

‘(It enables) us to understand in real time what is happening to our team members and the community as well,’ Coles Transformation General Manager Sophie Wong stated.

She claimed that the company was adapting to the increase in retail crime and the growing physical and verbal abuse experienced by its staff.

Member @Liz shared her sentiment about this additional security measure: ‘I think it is such a sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but anything to stop theft is okay in my books. I am sure they have to warn you that these cameras and sound are in place under the Privacy Act. Moral: don't steal, and it won't worry you.’

‘I have no problem with anything they do to stop theft and abuse. I don't steal, nor do I abuse staff who are only trying to do their job,’ member @mylittletibbies said.

However, member @terri is sceptical about the body-worn cameras. He commented, ‘The large amount of cameras already in store don't do anything to stop theft. I highly doubt that another one, even at eye level, will do any better.’

You can read more about Coles body-worn cameras here.

You can watch A Current Affair’s report here:

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket is trialling a new security measure called 'smart gate technology' in selected stores.
  • The technology creates a barrier for those who haven't paid for their items and opens once payment is made.
  • Coles has also introduced technology that locks the wheels of trolleys when sensors suspect unpurchased items.
  • The retail giant recently announced it will roll out body-worn cameras across 30 high-risk stores around Australia due to increased retail crime and abuse towards staff.

What do you think of this new security measure, members? Have you seen it at your local Coles? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
No problems with anything they are implementing. The trolley wheel lock to preent trolleys leaving the car park is extremely good. Body cams at the register to record abuse is OK although I eoul not like it on all staff. Surely they can move away if things get iffy and call for support on their radios.

From trolley locks to body cameras, Coles supermarket is trialling next-level measures aimed at reducing the issue of theft in its stores.

It’s hardly news that crime and shoplifting cases have been on the rise lately across all retail stores. But the effects of theft have taken a particular toll on the supermarket industry, to the tune of a staggering $9 billion in losses a year.

The retailers have been working hard to combat these losses, with Coles introducing several innovative security solutions to counter thieves.

‘We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products,’ a spokesperson said.

View attachment 29965
Coles announced their new measure against supermarket thieves: 'smart gateway technology'. Credit: haireena/Shutterstock

The most recent announcement sees Coles introducing 'smart gateway technology', ensuring shoppers have paid for their items before leaving the store.

The gate is made up of two automated panels that let shoppers out after they've paid for their items. However, they otherwise remain shut to prevent people from making a run for it.

Coles also talked about the 'trolley lock' that automatically engages if sensors can detect that groceries in a trolley have not been paid for.

A spokesperson shared, ‘Trolley lock technology has been in place at a number of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys leaving the store if someone hasn't first paid at a register.’

Some of our members believed that this is a great idea. Member @Furbaby wrote: ‘This is a great idea as so much of it goes on these days. I have seen locks when going out of shopping centres, but if they can do it at supermarkets, it would be so good.’

Member @Observer suggested: ‘Maybe even have the wheels lock up if you're thinking about moving the trolley beyond the boundary of the car park and not out into the streets, suburbs and creeks.’

If you’d like to learn more about the trolley lock technology, you can read the article here.

Additionally, the supermarket has recently revealed its plan to roll out body-worn cameras across 30 high-risk stores in states including South Australia, Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

View attachment 29966
Coles introduced body-worn cameras across 30 stores. Credit: Susan Wilkin/Facebook

The cameras are worn by Coles staff and give the company their eyes and ears on the ground.

‘(It enables) us to understand in real time what is happening to our team members and the community as well,’ Coles Transformation General Manager Sophie Wong stated.

She claimed that the company was adapting to the increase in retail crime and the growing physical and verbal abuse experienced by its staff.

Member @Liz shared her sentiment about this additional security measure: ‘I think it is such a sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but anything to stop theft is okay in my books. I am sure they have to warn you that these cameras and sound are in place under the Privacy Act. Moral: don't steal, and it won't worry you.’

‘I have no problem with anything they do to stop theft and abuse. I don't steal, nor do I abuse staff who are only trying to do their job,’ member @mylittletibbies said.

However, member @terri is sceptical about the body-worn cameras. He commented, ‘The large amount of cameras already in store don't do anything to stop theft. I highly doubt that another one, even at eye level, will do any better.’

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket is trialling a new security measure called 'smart gate technology' in selected stores.
  • The technology creates a barrier for those who haven't paid for their items and opens once payment is made.
  • Coles has also introduced technology that locks the wheels of trolleys when sensors suspect unpurchased items.
  • The retail giant recently announced it will roll out body-worn cameras across 30 high-risk stores around Australia due to increased retail crime and abuse towards staff.

What do you think of this new security measure, members? Have you seen it at your local Coles? Share your experience in the comments below!

Good on them....may help to stop these thieves.....we all pay for it in the end! More stealing, more the prices increase !!

View attachment 29965

View attachment 29966

Key Takeaways

Perhaps lowering their prices would stop many people from stealing? Probably stealing to make ends meet (which I believe is wrong). The cost of lower prices may be a lot less than the cost of theft. Ofcourse there are those who would steal anyway, if only for the thrill of getting away with it if they can. It is just that I wonder if the cost of all these security measures work, if the cost of installing is greater than the loss from theft (it certainly adds to cost of the consequences of theft and is another reason for increasing the price of goods in store.

Reactions: Monmc and Leenie
No problems with anything they are implementing. The trolley wheel lock to preent trolleys leaving the car park is extremely good. Body cams at the register to record abuse is OK although I eoul not like it on all staff. Surely they can move away if things get iffy and call for support on their radios.
Yes, do this. Please do this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230916-092138~3.png
    Screenshot_20230916-092138~3.png
    77 KB · Views: 0
Perhaps lowering their prices would stop many people from stealing? Probably stealing to make ends meet (which I believe is wrong). The cost of lower prices may be a lot less than the cost of theft. Ofcourse there are those who would steal anyway, if only for the thrill of getting away with it if they can. It is just that I wonder if the cost of all these security measures work, if the cost of installing is greater than the loss from theft (it certainly adds to cost of the consequences of theft and is another reason for increasing the price of goods in store.
I believe the gates are a great idea and despite the initial cost they would save a fortune in the long run.
People have always shoplifted, nothing to do with the current cost crisis. Those stealing are paying no more than those who don't, we are all feeling the pinch. There is no excuse for stealing and no excuses should be made for these no hopers.

I believe the gates are a great idea and despite the initial cost they would save a fortune in the long run.
People have always shoplifted, nothing to do with the current cost crisis. Those stealing are paying no more than those who don't, we are all feeling the pinch. There is no excuse for stealing and no excuses should be made for these no hopers.
Totally agree with you 👍

Reactions: Auswallaby
Isn't it a shame that retailers have had to resort to this? We all pay the price in the end for theft. I applaud retailers for taking this stand against dishonest people, there is NO excuse for stealing, not cost of living increases either, there are many welfare agencies out there who will assist those in genuine need. Even 2 minute noodles with a few extras like a tomato and some cheese is a meal at very little cost. Well done retailers!

View attachment 29965

View attachment 29966

Key Takeaways

What a laugh...... where are the people that wear the body cam.... you can never find a soul on the sales floor, not that I shop at Coles or Woolies... This is an observation when I go in to have laugh and shake my head at the prices people are prepared to pay.

Reactions: Leenie and Bridgit
It is about time the stores stopped people taking trolleys out of the car park. They are being left in the streets some distance away or even kept at the person's property. We all pay for these trolleys in the cost of our groceries.

I think it's a great idea, earliar this year I was at woolworths store doing my shopping, I was in a isle where there was a lady with a shopping basket she was carrying, and she had a back pack, I noticed she was putting items in her backpack, I pretending not to notice her, I then went and told the lady at the counter i gave her discription of her and what she was wearing, I stayed at the counter waited once i saw the lady i told the lady behind the counterwhich register she was at. they had called security they had to wait till she was out side of woolworths before been stopped, she had $400 wirth of stollen goods in her backpack.it is hard these days for people with everything going up, and retailers etc loose alot money, stealing is not the way to go,

View attachment 29965

View attachment 29966

Key Takeaways

if it stops the thieves i am all for it. Please make sure you implement everything so the likes of me can feel secure.

What a laugh...... where are the people that wear the body cam.... you can never find a soul on the sales floor, not that I shop at Coles or Woolies... This is an observation when I go in to have laugh and shake my head at the prices people are prepared to pay.
laugh out loud. you just made a liar of yourself. who goes into a store for a laugh? dumb.

Reactions: IAN3005 and Ricki