Shoppers are complaining about 'flimsy' paper bags: 'Get your act together'

We're all too familiar with the recent buzz surrounding a significant change taking place in supermarkets across the country in the name of sustainability. And let us tell you, it's definitely stirring up quite a reaction!

Major supermarkets, including the big players like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI, have recently bid farewell to plastic bags and embraced paper as a greener alternative for our groceries.

The rationale behind this switch is clear: paper bags are easily degradable and can even be recycled, making them a more sustainable choice. However, the transition to using more paper bags in supermarkets hasn't exactly been a roaring success, at least not according to numerous disgruntled shoppers.

Some Aussies, expecting a temporary shift, are now finding themselves continuously frustrated by the constant presence of paper bags in their shopping routines.

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 10.15.43 AM.png
New paper bags rolled out in supermarkets are proving to be quite an inconvenience for many shoppers. Credit: Facebook, Reddit.

'Woolies, you need to get your act together. This is not good enough!' one customer griped on social media, sharing a photo of a ripped Woolworths paper bag.

It wasn't just Woolworths, either. ALDI and Coles also received angry complaints. One woman shared a picture of a ripped ALDI bag she found in her car, while another said that three of Coles' paper bags just 'exploded'.

'I was very, very careful packing them. I knew they wouldn't take a lot of weight, but that's it now. That's all Coles have, and apparently other supermarkets are following suit,' said the frustrated customer.

The negative remarks kept coming in, with many shoppers agreeing that the new paper bags just weren't fit for purpose.

'They tear easily, are no good with frozen foods, and will end up in bins after one use,' a Facebook commenter mentioned, but this understandably prompted some unsympathetic responses.

'Bring your own bag,' someone replied, while others noted that the bag breakages were the shoppers' fault as they hadn't packed them efficiently.

Many others added that it's no fun struggling with flimsy paper bags that threaten to give out at any moment, especially when juggling a bunch of groceries. Plus, there's the added challenge of remembering to bring your own reusable bags, which we all know is easier said than done.

Regardless of the rightful blame, the response to this change shows just how passionate shoppers feel about getting value for money at the supermarket—especially when it comes to those who are on a limited budget.

Environmentalists have welcomed the move, with Dr Paul Harvey, an environmental scientist and author of the Plasticology Project, praising ALDI for its initiative last month, even though the bags on offer aren't recycled.

'This is fantastic news from ALDI and another step in the right direction for the Australian grocery retail sector,' Dr Harvey told a news source.

But what about those of us who want to be more sustainable but don't want our groceries rolling around in the boot of the car?

Well, the good news is that there is an easy solution that you can do right now if you hate these paper bags. Despite what some people are suggesting, you don't have to go out and purchase your very own selection of bags.

The sustainable choice—one that will last and you can reuse—is to shop with a reusable grocery bag. Yes, some supermarkets are also selling reusable bags, but you might already have one in the pantry that you purchased a while back!

Key Takeaways

• ALDI, Coles and Woolworths shoppers are expressing frustration over the shift from plastic to paper bags, claiming that the new bags aren't as durable.
  • Many customers have shared photos and experiences of the paper bags ripping, even when carefully packed.
  • Although some shoppers criticise others and place blame on supermarkets, suggesting that individuals bring their own bags or pack them more efficiently, there are also responses advocating for the occasional use of paper bags.
  • Despite the criticisms, environmental scientist Dr Paul Harvey praised ALDI for eliminating plastic bags but also highlighted that because the bags aren't made from recycled materials, it is 'shifting from one environmental problem to another'.

So, members, why not take your own bag next time you're grocery shopping, no matter the supermarket? If you're used to using paper bags, this might take a bit of getting used to, but if it means helping the environment, then we say it's worth a try.

And if you absolutely must use a paper bag, just remember to handle your groceries with the utmost care when unloading them and gracefully make your way back to your car. We wouldn't want you to end up like those poor shoppers who found themselves with a tragic pile of food items scattered on the ground.

Wishing you all the luck in your shopping adventures, and please take care out there, folks!

Do you happen to have any other genius advice or nifty tips for shopping with paper bags in the supermarket? We'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop them in the comments below, and let's make shopping a little more fun and eco-friendly together!

Sponsored
When my local WW decided that they would sell me the bags that used to be free, I got out my sewing machine and made some bags from my stash of unused tea towels. Prettier to look at. Don't hold as much so not as heavy to carry from the car into the house. Don't break down when wet from frozen goods. Easy to wash. Last a long time.
After I unpack them in the kitchen I repack them inside the largest one & put them straight back into the car so they are there the next time I unexpectedly need something from a supermarket (or any other inconvenient shop).

We're all too familiar with the recent buzz surrounding a significant change taking place in supermarkets across the country in the name of sustainability. And let us tell you, it's definitely stirring up quite a reaction!

Major supermarkets, including the big players like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI, have recently bid farewell to plastic bags and embraced paper as a greener alternative for our groceries.

The rationale behind this switch is clear: paper bags are easily degradable and can even be recycled, making them a more sustainable choice. However, the transition to using more paper bags in supermarkets hasn't exactly been a roaring success, at least not according to numerous disgruntled shoppers.

Some Aussies, expecting a temporary shift, are now finding themselves continuously frustrated by the constant presence of paper bags in their shopping routines.

View attachment 25274
New paper bags rolled out in supermarkets are proving to be quite an inconvenience for many shoppers. Credit: Facebook, Reddit.

'Woolies, you need to get your act together. This is not good enough!' one customer griped on social media, sharing a photo of a ripped Woolworths paper bag.

It wasn't just Woolworths, either. ALDI and Coles also received angry complaints. One woman shared a picture of a ripped ALDI bag she found in her car, while another said that three of Coles' paper bags just 'exploded'.

'I was very, very careful packing them. I knew they wouldn't take a lot of weight, but that's it now. That's all Coles have, and apparently other supermarkets are following suit,' said the frustrated customer.

The negative remarks kept coming in, with many shoppers agreeing that the new paper bags just weren't fit for purpose.

'They tear easily, are no good with frozen foods, and will end up in bins after one use,' a Facebook commenter mentioned, but this understandably prompted some unsympathetic responses.

'Bring your own bag,' someone replied, while others noted that the bag breakages were the shoppers' fault as they hadn't packed them efficiently.

Many others added that it's no fun struggling with flimsy paper bags that threaten to give out at any moment, especially when juggling a bunch of groceries. Plus, there's the added challenge of remembering to bring your own reusable bags, which we all know is easier said than done.

Regardless of the rightful blame, the response to this change shows just how passionate shoppers feel about getting value for money at the supermarket—especially when it comes to those who are on a limited budget.

Environmentalists have welcomed the move, with Dr Paul Harvey, an environmental scientist and author of the Plasticology Project, praising ALDI for its initiative last month, even though the bags on offer aren't recycled.

'This is fantastic news from ALDI and another step in the right direction for the Australian grocery retail sector,' Dr Harvey told a news source.

But what about those of us who want to be more sustainable but don't want our groceries rolling around in the boot of the car?

Well, the good news is that there is an easy solution that you can do right now if you hate these paper bags. Despite what some people are suggesting, you don't have to go out and purchase your very own selection of bags.

The sustainable choice—one that will last and you can reuse—is to shop with a reusable grocery bag. Yes, some supermarkets are also selling reusable bags, but you might already have one in the pantry that you purchased a while back!

Key Takeaways

• ALDI, Coles and Woolworths shoppers are expressing frustration over the shift from plastic to paper bags, claiming that the new bags aren't as durable.
  • Many customers have shared photos and experiences of the paper bags ripping, even when carefully packed.
  • Although some shoppers criticise others and place blame on supermarkets, suggesting that individuals bring their own bags or pack them more efficiently, there are also responses advocating for the occasional use of paper bags.
  • Despite the criticisms, environmental scientist Dr Paul Harvey praised ALDI for eliminating plastic bags but also highlighted that because the bags aren't made from recycled materials, it is 'shifting from one environmental problem to another'.

So, members, why not take your own bag next time you're grocery shopping, no matter the supermarket? If you're used to using paper bags, this might take a bit of getting used to, but if it means helping the environment, then we say it's worth a try.

And if you absolutely must use a paper bag, just remember to handle your groceries with the utmost care when unloading them and gracefully make your way back to your car. We wouldn't want you to end up like those poor shoppers who found themselves with a tragic pile of food items scattered on the ground.

Wishing you all the luck in your shopping adventures, and please take care out there, folks!

Do you happen to have any other genius advice or nifty tips for shopping with paper bags in the supermarket? We'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop them in the comments below, and let's make shopping a little more fun and eco-friendly together!
I must agree the paper bags are rather thin and much smaller compared to the old bags from my childhood. Why aren't these people buying the cooler bags they sell at the checkouts and use them time and time again 😒

I have bought a fold up bag that takes very little space for $3.00 and have 1 in each of my handbags I use regularly so if I buy something unexpected I have something to put items in. Admittedly they don't fit alot but they certainly work for cards or item of clothing or couple of items. Otherwise I take one of my shopping bags just in case which is second nature now. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! I certainly would not bother with the paper bags, they are not fit for purpose and would not waste my money! I would wait until I got back to my car and pack them in my bags if that was the case.

View attachment 25274

Key Takeaways

Why can’t we have cardboard boxes to pack our food shopping. Instead of the supermarkets breaking the boxes and recycling them they could be used by us and we could then use them each time we go grocery shopping.

View attachment 25274

Key Takeaways

Paper shopping bags are not new. They were used years ago and did a pretty good job. Until it was decided by the tree huggers that we needed to save the trees so we were forced to stop using them and they were replaced with plastic bags. Now apparently the recyclable plastic bags are not good for the environment so we are being forced to go back to paper bags. I wonder how long this cycle will last and what will be next?

When my local WW decided that they would sell me the bags that used to be free, I got out my sewing machine and made some bags from my stash of unused tea towels. Prettier to look at. Don't hold as much so not as heavy to carry from the car into the house. Don't break down when wet from frozen goods. Easy to wash. Last a long time.
After I unpack them in the kitchen I repack them inside the largest one & put them straight back into the car so they are there the next time I unexpectedly need something from a supermarket (or any other inconvenient shop).
My point exactly!
There is no reason why anyone capable of using a sewing machine - and that includes men, couldn't make their own shopping bags. I lean towards bags made from remnants of curtain fabric (from Spotlight's remnant boxes), old jeans and even old clothing. There are plenty of free patterns available online, such as this one for example: https://www.allfreesewing.com/Bags-and-Purses/EZ-Grocery-Bag-Tutorial

So instead of whining about paper bags, maybe we should get creative.

View attachment 25274

Key Takeaways

Woolies had paper bags back in the 70's. I remember walking up a hill with my bags and having the bottom drop out of one, Had to chase the tinned items all the way down the hill. They are not perfect but we have to do something to heal the environment, one step at a time. My reusable bags are in the boot of my car and I get them out before walking in to the shops. If you dont want to use them then keep a box or basket in the boot and just reload the items in to your shopping trolley and transfer them to your boot.

View attachment 25274

Key Takeaways

Hopefully those who have their orders delivered (such as those who are housebound & can't physically shop in store) will be accounted for soon. We have had a number of our deliveries split in the driveway before reaching our door.

It's all very well to say "bring your own reusable bag" (I do!) but what happens when you eventually run out of them? It will happen one day so then what?
A reusable bag should last a while.

My reusable bag is one I bought from a bag shop made from a tough synthetic fabric. It is relatively big and stays in my car ready for when I go shopping.

I've been using my reusable bag for 3 years (still good, no rips or holes so far).

When it does rip, I'll buy a new one and expect it to go for the next few years.

If packed correctly, the Woolies paper bags will hold 6kg. Shoppers have had 5 years to get into the habit of bringing their own bags. I can understand buying a paper one if you have bought a few items, say, on your way home from work but week after week people come in & do a large shop & purchase bags. They must have a great collection at home. I leave my bags & a foldable crate in the boot of my car & repack groceries into my trolley & pack in the car. I also have a few purse bags in my handbag for when I only buy a few items. Its not rocket science people.

We stopped using plastic bags in WA ages ago. Stop moaning and get proactive. I gradually bought 10 good quality cloth shopping bags that fold up small enough to fit in my handbag and which can get thrown in the washing machine. Maybe instead of continuing to buy the paper bags you don’t like it’s time to be proactive and find yourself a solution. It is after all for the sake if our beautiful planet.

I have a four wheel drive full of all types and shapes of purchased shopping bags. at 80 I have been so used to the stores providing them free forget to take them with me when I go to shop. I usually remember halfway to the shop and think damn it I am not going back to the car.The cost adds up and often the checkout operator feels one bag full of all the heavy bottles and jars and of course they rarely make from car to kitchen in one piece (me either).

View attachment 25274

Key Takeaways

I use them in the garden to cover weeds as I don’t have the strength to pull them out!tough and heavy I love them!work for me!👍