Shoppers are complaining about 'flimsy' paper bags: 'Get your act together'

We're all too familiar with the recent buzz surrounding a significant change taking place in supermarkets across the country in the name of sustainability. And let us tell you, it's definitely stirring up quite a reaction!

Major supermarkets, including the big players like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI, have recently bid farewell to plastic bags and embraced paper as a greener alternative for our groceries.

The rationale behind this switch is clear: paper bags are easily degradable and can even be recycled, making them a more sustainable choice. However, the transition to using more paper bags in supermarkets hasn't exactly been a roaring success, at least not according to numerous disgruntled shoppers.

Some Aussies, expecting a temporary shift, are now finding themselves continuously frustrated by the constant presence of paper bags in their shopping routines.

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 10.15.43 AM.png
New paper bags rolled out in supermarkets are proving to be quite an inconvenience for many shoppers. Credit: Facebook, Reddit.

'Woolies, you need to get your act together. This is not good enough!' one customer griped on social media, sharing a photo of a ripped Woolworths paper bag.

It wasn't just Woolworths, either. ALDI and Coles also received angry complaints. One woman shared a picture of a ripped ALDI bag she found in her car, while another said that three of Coles' paper bags just 'exploded'.

'I was very, very careful packing them. I knew they wouldn't take a lot of weight, but that's it now. That's all Coles have, and apparently other supermarkets are following suit,' said the frustrated customer.

The negative remarks kept coming in, with many shoppers agreeing that the new paper bags just weren't fit for purpose.

'They tear easily, are no good with frozen foods, and will end up in bins after one use,' a Facebook commenter mentioned, but this understandably prompted some unsympathetic responses.

'Bring your own bag,' someone replied, while others noted that the bag breakages were the shoppers' fault as they hadn't packed them efficiently.

Many others added that it's no fun struggling with flimsy paper bags that threaten to give out at any moment, especially when juggling a bunch of groceries. Plus, there's the added challenge of remembering to bring your own reusable bags, which we all know is easier said than done.

Regardless of the rightful blame, the response to this change shows just how passionate shoppers feel about getting value for money at the supermarket—especially when it comes to those who are on a limited budget.

Environmentalists have welcomed the move, with Dr Paul Harvey, an environmental scientist and author of the Plasticology Project, praising ALDI for its initiative last month, even though the bags on offer aren't recycled.

'This is fantastic news from ALDI and another step in the right direction for the Australian grocery retail sector,' Dr Harvey told a news source.

But what about those of us who want to be more sustainable but don't want our groceries rolling around in the boot of the car?

Well, the good news is that there is an easy solution that you can do right now if you hate these paper bags. Despite what some people are suggesting, you don't have to go out and purchase your very own selection of bags.

The sustainable choice—one that will last and you can reuse—is to shop with a reusable grocery bag. Yes, some supermarkets are also selling reusable bags, but you might already have one in the pantry that you purchased a while back!

Key Takeaways

• ALDI, Coles and Woolworths shoppers are expressing frustration over the shift from plastic to paper bags, claiming that the new bags aren't as durable.
  • Many customers have shared photos and experiences of the paper bags ripping, even when carefully packed.
  • Although some shoppers criticise others and place blame on supermarkets, suggesting that individuals bring their own bags or pack them more efficiently, there are also responses advocating for the occasional use of paper bags.
  • Despite the criticisms, environmental scientist Dr Paul Harvey praised ALDI for eliminating plastic bags but also highlighted that because the bags aren't made from recycled materials, it is 'shifting from one environmental problem to another'.

So, members, why not take your own bag next time you're grocery shopping, no matter the supermarket? If you're used to using paper bags, this might take a bit of getting used to, but if it means helping the environment, then we say it's worth a try.

And if you absolutely must use a paper bag, just remember to handle your groceries with the utmost care when unloading them and gracefully make your way back to your car. We wouldn't want you to end up like those poor shoppers who found themselves with a tragic pile of food items scattered on the ground.

Wishing you all the luck in your shopping adventures, and please take care out there, folks!

Do you happen to have any other genius advice or nifty tips for shopping with paper bags in the supermarket? We'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop them in the comments below, and let's make shopping a little more fun and eco-friendly together!

Sponsored
I am old enough to remember the days when I used a string bag for the corner shop, and all the supermarkets had was paper.
I changed from that the first time I got caught in the rain. Paper does not like rain. Needless to say, the bottom fell out and the rain just kept coming down.
That's when I decided to buy one of those shopping trolleys (the fold up kind). You know, the kind that has 4 wheels and takes enough for a good sized shop. I used mine until it collapsed of old age. People used to laugh at me, but I didn't care.
When times changed, and I found the trolley a little too heavy to lift into the car, I changed to MY OWN bags. My sisters are the sewers and darn good ones at that.
I have some bags (sturdy cotton) that I have been using for over 20 years. Not one tree died in the production of those tote bags.
Also, they are small enough to fold up and keep at the bottom of my handbag. They are very pretty and colourful, and a lot better than a paper bag.
They say that necessity is the mother of invention. I say, my 2 sisters were the saving grace.

• Love
Reactions: Littleboy8 and Liz
When my local WW decided that they would sell me the bags that used to be free, I got out my sewing machine and made some bags from my stash of unused tea towels. Prettier to look at. Don't hold as much so not as heavy to carry from the car into the house. Don't break down when wet from frozen goods. Easy to wash. Last a long time.
After I unpack them in the kitchen I repack them inside the largest one & put them straight back into the car so they are there the next time I unexpectedly need something from a supermarket (or any other inconvenient shop).
I am with you, have made quite a few for my friends as well as crochet and knitted market bags as well. Where there is a will there is a way.;)

Reactions: Littleboy8
The bags used in Woolworths when l worked there in 1972 / 1973 were bigger than those today, had no handles & were stronger than those used today. We were given instructions on how to pack these bags & cannot remember having as many problems as those seen today. Bags were not filled to overflowing & the top of the bags could be put together, folded over & carried.

The orders we receive today with home delivery are half filled bags meaning more bags are needed than necessary. These are used at home for recycling items & go into the same bin or have other uses at home. Are packers erring on the side of caution, less is more (bags, at the buyer's cost) or do they too have no confidence in these bags either? In the long term, as a member mentioned, more trees are being sacrificed to make the bags.

Is this downsizing again? Smaller, thinner bags of an inferior quality. I remember the mesh bags Mum had for shopping & then they were strong thick plastic coated, crocheted l think, expanded to take as little or as much shopping as needed & above all, never failed!

Reactions: Defiant540
I am not too fussy about the new paper bags & usually have some of my own available, but the VERY FLIMSY handles on the paper bags are my nit-picking fault. They hardly take any weight at all, & can only be used for the very lightest items you have purchased.
I think the handles are quite strong!👍

Why can’t we have cardboard boxes to pack our food shopping. Instead of the supermarkets breaking the boxes and recycling them they could be used by us and we could then use them each time we go grocery shopping.
too heavy maybe!

Reactions: Ezzy
I must agree the paper bags are rather thin and much smaller compared to the old bags from my childhood. Why aren't these people buying the cooler bags they sell at the checkouts and use them time and time again 😒
Exactly.....what are some people thinking !!!!!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricki
We're all too familiar with the recent buzz surrounding a significant change taking place in supermarkets across the country in the name of sustainability. And let us tell you, it's definitely stirring up quite a reaction!

Major supermarkets, including the big players like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI, have recently bid farewell to plastic bags and embraced paper as a greener alternative for our groceries.

The rationale behind this switch is clear: paper bags are easily degradable and can even be recycled, making them a more sustainable choice. However, the transition to using more paper bags in supermarkets hasn't exactly been a roaring success, at least not according to numerous disgruntled shoppers.

Some Aussies, expecting a temporary shift, are now finding themselves continuously frustrated by the constant presence of paper bags in their shopping routines.

View attachment 25274
New paper bags rolled out in supermarkets are proving to be quite an inconvenience for many shoppers. Credit: Facebook, Reddit.

'Woolies, you need to get your act together. This is not good enough!' one customer griped on social media, sharing a photo of a ripped Woolworths paper bag.

It wasn't just Woolworths, either. ALDI and Coles also received angry complaints. One woman shared a picture of a ripped ALDI bag she found in her car, while another said that three of Coles' paper bags just 'exploded'.

'I was very, very careful packing them. I knew they wouldn't take a lot of weight, but that's it now. That's all Coles have, and apparently other supermarkets are following suit,' said the frustrated customer.

The negative remarks kept coming in, with many shoppers agreeing that the new paper bags just weren't fit for purpose.

'They tear easily, are no good with frozen foods, and will end up in bins after one use,' a Facebook commenter mentioned, but this understandably prompted some unsympathetic responses.

'Bring your own bag,' someone replied, while others noted that the bag breakages were the shoppers' fault as they hadn't packed them efficiently.

Many others added that it's no fun struggling with flimsy paper bags that threaten to give out at any moment, especially when juggling a bunch of groceries. Plus, there's the added challenge of remembering to bring your own reusable bags, which we all know is easier said than done.

Regardless of the rightful blame, the response to this change shows just how passionate shoppers feel about getting value for money at the supermarket—especially when it comes to those who are on a limited budget.

Environmentalists have welcomed the move, with Dr Paul Harvey, an environmental scientist and author of the Plasticology Project, praising ALDI for its initiative last month, even though the bags on offer aren't recycled.

'This is fantastic news from ALDI and another step in the right direction for the Australian grocery retail sector,' Dr Harvey told a news source.

But what about those of us who want to be more sustainable but don't want our groceries rolling around in the boot of the car?

Well, the good news is that there is an easy solution that you can do right now if you hate these paper bags. Despite what some people are suggesting, you don't have to go out and purchase your very own selection of bags.

The sustainable choice—one that will last and you can reuse—is to shop with a reusable grocery bag. Yes, some supermarkets are also selling reusable bags, but you might already have one in the pantry that you purchased a while back!

Key Takeaways

• ALDI, Coles and Woolworths shoppers are expressing frustration over the shift from plastic to paper bags, claiming that the new bags aren't as durable.
  • Many customers have shared photos and experiences of the paper bags ripping, even when carefully packed.
  • Although some shoppers criticise others and place blame on supermarkets, suggesting that individuals bring their own bags or pack them more efficiently, there are also responses advocating for the occasional use of paper bags.
  • Despite the criticisms, environmental scientist Dr Paul Harvey praised ALDI for eliminating plastic bags but also highlighted that because the bags aren't made from recycled materials, it is 'shifting from one environmental problem to another'.

So, members, why not take your own bag next time you're grocery shopping, no matter the supermarket? If you're used to using paper bags, this might take a bit of getting used to, but if it means helping the environment, then we say it's worth a try.

And if you absolutely must use a paper bag, just remember to handle your groceries with the utmost care when unloading them and gracefully make your way back to your car. We wouldn't want you to end up like those poor shoppers who found themselves with a tragic pile of food items scattered on the ground.

Wishing you all the luck in your shopping adventures, and please take care out there, folks!

Do you happen to have any other genius advice or nifty tips for shopping with paper bags in the supermarket? We'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop them in the comments below, and let's make shopping a little more fun and eco-friendly together!
I saw a person get out of his car with 2 boxes and put them in his trolley, what a great idea to put your groceries in and so easy to repack, instead of these flimsy bags !

View attachment 25274

Key Takeaways

Hey people, it's really easy. BREAKING NEWS: Coles, Woolies, Aldi, Kmart, Target, Big W and many others too numerous to mention here all provide shopping trolleys. All you need do is obtain one before you start your shopping odyssey and leave it in the appropriate collection bay in the car park once you've loaded your stuff into your car, never mind using useless paper bags. All too easy, folks.

Hey people, it's really easy. BREAKING NEWS: Coles, Woolies, Aldi, Kmart, Target, Big W and many others too numerous to mention here all provide shopping trolleys. All you need do is obtain one before you start your shopping odyssey and leave it in the appropriate collection bay in the car park once you've loaded your stuff into your car, never mind using useless paper bags. All too easy, folks.
I sometimes do this, but not if it’s raining. No fun to load your groceries into your boot when it’s tipping down! 🤣

Maybe buy some more?
It's all very well to say "bring your own reusable bag" (I do!) but what happens when you eventually run out of them? It will happen one day so then what?

Some years ago I bought myself a pouched set of 6 EcoSilk bags and I keep them permanently in my shoulder bag. I understand that they're made of "parachute silk". They're light, colourful, extremely strong and take up very little room in my shoulder bag so I always have them with me. They wash beautifully. The usual weekly shop for 2 people packs easily into 2 or 3 of the bags. And no, I have no connection whatsoever with the "EcoSilk" people - I'm just so impressed with their bags I'm happy to recommend them.

View attachment 25274

Key Takeaways

Recycle!!! Use old curtains, hessian or canvas from your old discarded tent etc. Make some strong shopping bags. Get out the old sewing machine instead of watching footy on the telly. EASY.