Shoppers are calling a new Woolworths feature 'creepy' - see it for yourself!

Online shopping has its perks, but sometimes when it comes to groceries, nothing beats the in-person experience, right?

Especially if you're someone who likes to take the time to inspect your fruit and veg before purchase or chat with the butcher about what cuts of meat are on special.

But as enjoyable as supermarket shopping can be, there's one new development that has some shoppers pretty worried… and creeped out!

You see, one Woolies customer was browsing the aisles of their local shop looking for the next item on their grocery list.

Their supermarket journey took them to the store’s coffee aisle, where they spotted one new addition that didn’t sit well with them: atop the bags and sachets was a screen flashing a video ad for coffee.

According to a report, Woolworths is placing ‘information banners’ in the coffee sections of select stores.

Allegedly, these ‘information banners’ are meant to educate shoppers about coffee and could also feature some ads.

sdfhesdh.png
One Woolworths shopper took to Reddit and shared a discovery they found unsettling. Credit: Reddit/u/Marlinigh

Going back, you might be asking ‘What’s the big deal about a screen in a coffee aisle?’

Here’s what other Australians had to say on Reddit.

One user said: ‘I don't mind this particular ad in isolation, but (I’m) more against the general pervasion of advertising. (I’m) keen to kick a fuss to nip it in the bud before every empty space is filled with an advertisement.’

‘This is why I care.’ the customer responded.

‘In five years it’ll be in every part of the aisle.’

They added: ‘It’s hard enough to focus at the shops surrounded by more screens flashing ads at me trying to manipulate me into buying things I don’t need.’

Others saw the customer’s concern and shared their thoughts.

‘I can't wait until they put a TV around my delivery driver’s neck to advertise to me, I look forward to it.’ a user said.

Another agreed: ‘This non-stop advertising is all a bit too much.’

‘Yeah I think the emotion that Woolworths gives me is creepy.’ added another.

But for other users, the customer was making a big deal out of nothing, since they were already in a store filled with product placements and advertisements.
One user shared: ‘I don’t hate this. It’s in front of a product group you’re already interested in purchasing so it’s not being intrusive.’

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper took to social media to share a sight she found unsettling: a video ad running at the top of an aisle featuring coffee products at the store.
  • The shopper was wary of the feature being tested by Woolworths in select stores, pointing out how they could be overwhelming.
  • Some users saw her point and expressed their frustrations over increasingly intrusive ads.
  • Others however felt the shopper was making a big deal out of an ad placed in a store already full of products vying for customers' attention.
‘This is a problem?’ a second user asked.

They continued: ‘Far out, in my opinion, shopping centres/malls/supermarkets/et cetera where goods are being sold are the only place where I don't mind seeing advertising.’

‘Keep it out of every other media and medium, but this is literally the place for it.’

‘It’s so weird seeing the hate for something like this. It’s literally just a moving ad as opposed to the (two-dimensional) ones that normally litter the aisle.’ another user added.

528ab5ec6cf1ed41e6e26d2a94b649cb.jpg
Self-checkouts are one example of innovations that have some customers displeased. Credit: news.com.au

Supermarkets have shown in recent months that they’re trying out new and emerging technologies for a better experience for shoppers.

For example, Coles recently expanded its new drone delivery service to select parts of Queensland.

Then there’s a new high-tech supermarket trolley making the rounds on social media too.

And of course, there are the self-checkouts that supermarket giants seem to be intent on rolling out.

But where do you think we should draw the line and say ‘no’ to new technology?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Sponsored
My local woolies has a weird practice of stocking items in the most unusual places. Darrel Lea chocolate bars displayed on 3 shelves...inbetween the paper towels and the toilet paper. Go figure? I see displaced items often at my local woolies. If they need to fill up gaps, at least fill it with similiar items.

Online shopping has its perks, but sometimes when it comes to groceries, nothing beats the in-person experience, right?

Especially if you're someone who likes to take the time to inspect your fruit and veg before purchase or chat with the butcher about what cuts of meat are on special.

But as enjoyable as supermarket shopping can be, there's one new development that has some shoppers pretty worried… and creeped out!

You see, one Woolies customer was browsing the aisles of their local shop looking for the next item on their grocery list.

Their supermarket journey took them to the store’s coffee aisle, where they spotted one new addition that didn’t sit well with them: atop the bags and sachets was a screen flashing a video ad for coffee.

According to a report, Woolworths is placing ‘information banners’ in the coffee sections of select stores.

Allegedly, these ‘information banners’ are meant to educate shoppers about coffee and could also feature some ads.

View attachment 8705
One Woolworths shopper took to Reddit and shared a discovery they found unsettling. Credit: Reddit/u/Marlinigh

Going back, you might be asking ‘What’s the big deal about a screen in a coffee aisle?’

One user said: ‘I don't mind this particular ad in isolation, but (I’m) more against the general pervasion of advertising. (I’m) keen to kick a fuss to nip it in the bud before every empty space is filled with an advertisement.’

They added: ‘It’s hard enough to focus at the shops surrounded by more screens flashing ads at me trying to manipulate me into buying things I don’t need.’

‘I can't wait until they put a TV around my delivery driver’s neck to advertise to me, I look forward to it.’ a user said.

But for other users, the customer was making a big deal out of nothing, since they were already in a store filled with product placements and advertisements.
One user shared: ‘I don’t hate this. It’s in front of a product group you’re already interested in purchasing so it’s not being intrusive.’

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper took to social media to share a sight she found unsettling: a video ad running at the top of an aisle featuring coffee products at the store.
  • The shopper was wary of the feature being tested by Woolworths in select stores, pointing out how they could be overwhelming.
  • Some users saw her point and expressed their frustrations over increasingly intrusive ads.
  • Others however felt the shopper was making a big deal out of an ad placed in a store already full of products vying for customers' attention.

They continued: ‘Far out, in my opinion, shopping centres/malls/supermarkets/et cetera where goods are being sold are the only place where I don't mind seeing advertising.’

‘Keep it out of every other media and medium, but this is literally the place for it.’

‘It’s so weird seeing the hate for something like this. It’s literally just a moving ad as opposed to the (two-dimensional) ones that normally litter the aisle.’ another user added.

View attachment 8704
Self-checkouts are one example of innovations that have some customers displeased. Credit: news.com.au

Supermarkets have shown in recent months that they’re trying out new and emerging technologies for a better experience for shoppers.

For example, Coles recently expanded its new drone delivery service to select parts of Queensland.

Then there’s a new high-tech supermarket trolley making the rounds on social media too.

And of course, there are the self-checkouts that supermarket giants seem to be intent on rolling out.

Seriously some people need to gets life, you don’t have to stand there and watch them. Just move on, hopefully if companies are paying for the ads, it may help keeping prices down.

View attachment 8705

Key Takeaways

View attachment 8704

If consumers are that easily manipulated, they shouldn't go shopping, surely we have some self-control.

I just don't see these ads. Advertising is completely lost on me. I once took part in an experiment for the University where I was sent out to cover a given route and when I got back I was asked about which advertisements I had seen and taken notice of. None, the ad at the bus stop didn't register together with the ones on the bus. I wasn't aware that I had walked past a billboard and couldn't accurately describe the ones in the shop windows. I did however see three dogs, two cats and several birds. I passed three mums with bubs in prams and stopped to admire the flowers in a garden bed! :)

My local woolies has a weird practice of stocking items in the most unusual places. Darrel Lea chocolate bars displayed on 3 shelves...inbetween the paper towels and the toilet paper. Go figure? I see displaced items often at my local woolies. If they need to fill up gaps, at least fill it with similiar items.
Sometimes this is done to display items that are being discontinued and store getting rid of. It makes some people notice them and maybe then purchase them. The thought process of marketers and customers is amazing.

View attachment 8705

Key Takeaways

View attachment 8704

There's some sad people using that Reddit if that's their main concern. The same with tiktok.

Personally I never buy anything thats advertised. I either want something or I don't. However, I always listen to the songs they use for adverts in case there's something I like listening to. :) And a lot of servos have adverts running all the time on a little screen above the pumps. Something else I never take notice of.

As an older lady, I love the ads on TV & watch normal programs with them in. It is a brain thing for me as is doing trivia quizzes online. I am not going to let my brain die if I can help it. I would draw the line at shopping in a store with too many ads distracting me from my task of shopping. I follow a shopping list & don't deviate much from it. Keep the ads out of the stores as we have no spare money to buy what we don't need with the cost of living going through the roof!

Reactions: Ricci