Shopper shares ‘disgusting’ find on Woolworths shelf: ‘Unacceptable’

When heading to your local Woolworths, you expect shelves stocked with fresh, high-quality products neatly arranged and ready for us to add to our trolleys.

However, a recent incident at one store has reminded us that even the most trusted supermarkets can have off days and that consumers should also keep an eye out and ensure standards are met.

A Woolworths shopper was taken aback during his weekend grocery run when he stumbled upon a rather unsightly scene in the dairy aisle.

Between two cheese products, he discovered what appeared to be dark marks, dirt, and what he suspected to be mould.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 8.16.45 AM.png
A man found dark marks on a shelf in Woolworths, which he suspected to be mould. Image Credit: Facebook

The sight was so disturbing that he felt compelled to capture it in a photo and share it online, sparking concern among fellow customers.

The image quickly circulated, with many expressing their dismay at the condition of the shelf, especially since it was used to display fresh produce.

The consensus was clear: this was 'unacceptable’.

Yet, amidst the outcry, some questioned the shopper's decision to post the photo online rather than directly alerting the staff when it became apparent he didn’t.

Some even suggested that he could have taken matters into his own hands by cleaning the mess himself, with one commenter cheekily saying, ‘Kevin must be the male form of Karen.’

Despite the varied reactions, the majority agreed that the shelf was indeed ‘dirty’ and fell short of the cleanliness standards they expect from a shopping experience.

Upon learning of the incident, Woolworths quickly clarified the situation.

‘This is simply wet cardboard due to condensation and has been cleaned by the store,’ a spokesperson said.

‘Customers who are concerned about anything when doing their shop can always speak to our team members.’

This incident comes after a similar situation at a Coles supermarket, where a customer found mould on a shelf in the meat section.

After reporting it to the staff, the customer chose to leave the store without making any purchases.

How did Coles respond? You can find out here.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper was appalled at the sight of a dirty shelf in the dairy section at a Woolworths store, which he perceived to be covered with dirt and possibly mould.
  • The customer chose not to inform staff but instead posted an image online to draw attention to the situation, sparking mixed reactions among social media users.
  • Woolworths clarified that the shelf's appearance was caused by wet cardboard due to condensation. The store has since cleaned it while encouraging customers to report any in-store issues directly to team members.
  • The incident followed a separate event where a Coles shopper discovered mould on a shelf in the meat section.
Have you ever encountered a similar situation while shopping? How did you handle it, and what was the store's response? Share them with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
I hope his first move was too ask to speak to the store manager .

Too many people are looking for stories to post and don't bother reporting it to the appropriate person.

If this was mould I would ask to see the manager , I would have then taken a photo and reported it to the health department because it must have been there for awhile.

I wouldn't have even thought to post on line !!

Ok let's clarify this situation he "suspected" it was mould, he did NOT inform the store, or its management, why?? Because 5 minutes of fame on social media solved the problem??? HOW?...I seriously think we need to take stock and stop this BS on tiktoc, FB, instagram...if you want 5 minutes of fame make it worthwhile!!

Last edited:
You should see some of the disgusting sh!t I have found over the years left by ignorant customers, so it's no wonder some of this marks the shelving! A few years ago in the old store at Byron Bay there was a disgusting stench which no-one could find the source of...my trusty nose found a rotting package of meat! Left any longer and it would have leaked through the wrapping paper and also stained the shelves and everything under it!

Shelves need to be checked regularly by supermarket staff as some people just put something they don't want, anywhere it's convenient....... Whether it's meat or whatever, they're too lazy to take it back to where they got it.
It's no wonder rotting meat was found out of the fridge. 🤬🤬🤬

Shelves need to be checked regularly by supermarket staff as some people just put something they don't want, anywhere it's convenient....... Whether it's meat or whatever, they're too lazy to take it back to where they got it.
It's no wonder rotting meat was found out of the fridge. 🤬🤬🤬
They "hide" things behind products, so it's not always obvious!

Yet many of these people are more than happy to eat takeaway food, and I've heard really horrific stories about this part of the industry!

Ok let's clarify this situation he "suspected" it was mould, he did NOT inform the store, or its management, why?? Because 5 minutes of fame on social media solved the problem??? HOW?...I seriously think we need to take stock and stop this BS on tiktoc, FB, installation...if you want 5 minutes of fame make it worthwhile!!
He should have reported the situation if the staff don’t know how can they respond.

Reactions: Lisa
Problem - NOT ENOUGH STAFF!!!! Can't run a big supermarket without sufficient staff and Woolworths has a absolute horror of employing staff - might take a few $$$$$ from their billion dollar profits.

On many an occasion l have used the W.C. @ a takeaway & have found maintenance problems or rubbish strewn about etc. Did l take photos to post on a web site? No! A discreet word with a staff member when they weren't serving was all that was needed. Action was immediate, seen as l sat eating my meal.

Waiting till you arrive home to post photos on a site to humiliate a business shows you are just an attention seeker. You are only looking for an opportunity to see your name in writing like a whistleblower, making a complaint for something that could have been done without all the fuss & attention seeking.

How would you feel if someone entered your home, saw something out of place & posted this with your name on a site?

Reactions: Lisa and KatKop
On many an occasion l have used the W.C. @ a takeaway & have found maintenance problems or rubbish strewn about etc. Did l take photos to post on a web site? No! A discreet word with a staff member when they weren't serving was all that was needed. Action was immediate, seen as l sat eating my meal.

Waiting till you arrive home to post photos on a site to humiliate a business shows you are just an attention seeker. You are only looking for an opportunity to see your name in writing like a whistleblower, making a complaint for something that could have been done without all the fuss & attention seeking.

How would you feel if someone entered your home, saw something out of place & posted this with your name on a site?
But this is the biggest supermarket in Australia. Would they have responded had he just hone to the manager? No.
Their standards need to be called out. We're paying so much. Employ more staff and train them properly in all aspects.

But this is the biggest supermarket in Australia. Would they have responded had he just hone to the manager? No.
Their standards need to be called out. We're paying so much. Employ more staff and train them properly in all aspects.
My question have you EVER. Worked for Woolworths? If not then YOU have no idea what you are talking about!! FYI CUSTOMERS are the worst for doing this, hiding things, putting cold stuff on shelves, half eating hot food from deli, opening packets..and yes we do check shelves, behind things, under stuff etc..TRY working in a big supermarket THIS HAPPENS EVERYDAY! AND EVERYDAY WE CLEAN UP THE MESS LEFT BEHIND...sometimes we might miss something .....but unless YOU are perfect...please don't criticise what YOU have never had to do....

My question have you EVER. Worked for Woolworths? If not then YOU have no idea what you are talking about!! FYI CUSTOMERS are the worst for doing this, hiding things, putting cold stuff on shelves, half eating hot food from deli, opening packets..and yes we do check shelves, behind things, under stuff etc..TRY working in a big supermarket THIS HAPPENS EVERYDAY! AND EVERYDAY WE CLEAN UP THE MESS LEFT BEHIND...sometimes we might miss something .....but unless YOU are perfect...please don't criticise what YOU have never had to do....
And who rattled your chain today....

Reactions: Ezzy and LeahI
Being a big supermarket l am sure they would have responded to protect their name.

Guess you will never know now, eh?

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Yes. Worked in W.W. several years ago & we were particular about keeping shelves tidy.

The shelf top ups is now done mostly by the night fill staff. One fact we were very strict on was bringing old stock to the front& placing new stock behind. I hope they still do this.

Reactions: Veggiepatch