Shopper calls out Coles for quality of new paper bags after mishap

In June, supermarket giant Coles removed single-use plastic shopping bags from their stores to reduce environmental waste, but one shopper's experience reveals the move may have brought some unexpected new issues.

The woman claimed that these bags, which cost 25 cents and are advertised to hold six kilograms, aren't up to the task.

In the footage, the customer's Coles bag, which is said to be made from 100% recycled paper, was shown torn and on the ground, with her grocery items, such as a soft drink and a bag of chips, scattered nearby.

She pointed out that the bag's handle ripped, even though she didn't have anywhere close to six kilos of groceries in it.

'It just snapped, clean snapped, right here,' she said.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 2.06.27 PM.png
Coles discontinued using soft-plastic shopping bags in-store and online at the end of June. Credit: TikTok/astralfroglet.

The woman also mentioned in the comments section of her video that she evenly distributed the items in the bags, but the paper bag still tore.

'Plenty of others have had the same problem. If the bags aren't fit for purpose or can't hold the 6kgs that they claim, they shouldn't be sold,' she argued.

Hundreds of fellow supermarket shoppers flooded the comments section of her post.

Some people questioned why Coles still sells these bags if they don't hold up. Others shared their own experiences with the bags tearing, even with relatively light loads.

For instance, one person mentioned that the bags ripped with just three 1.25-litre bottles of soft drinks. 'Ever since then, if I get them, I carry them like a baby,' the commenter added.

There was even a serious incident where a Coles bag broke, causing a senior to fall and break her arm. To make matters worse, when the situation was reported to the Coles manager, the response was unsympathetic.

While some shared their frustrations on social media, a few SDC members suggested carrying more durable reusable bags when shopping to avoid such issues.

Member @Elva shared, 'We keep a box and small trolley in the car boot. A few bags for small shops.'

'For years, we have been using ALDI trolley bags, set of 4. After emptying, they are always returned to the car. Have a fold-up light one hooked to my purse for when I wasn't going to buy anything,' member @Pat T added.

Member @Heths also shared their idea, 'I've got a few bags made out of lightweight material that can be folded and stored in my handbag so they are always there for shopping and easy to wash when required.'

Coles responded to customer concerns by defending the durability of its paper bags, which they claim can hold up to six kilograms of groceries.

A spokesperson stated that these bags have undergone rigorous independent testing, proving their ability to safely carry groceries, including chilled and frozen items. They can also be reused multiple times.

The supermarket chain also noted that this shift in packaging would eliminate 230 million plastic bags from circulation across the country within a year.

Matt Swindells, Coles Group Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, stated: 'The most sustainable option is to bring your own reusable bag to the supermarket, but for those who forget, we will continue to sell 100 per cent recycled paper bags that can be recycled kerbside, as well as other reusable options.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper criticised Coles for switching from plastic to paper bags, claiming her groceries were damaged when the bag broke.
  • The woman said that despite the new paper bags being allegedly designed to hold up to 6kg, the bottom of her bag fell out before reaching this weight.
  • The incident has sparked mixed responses from fellow Coles customers, with some criticising the quality of the bags and others suggesting using more durable recyclable bags.
  • Despite the criticism, Coles stands by its switch to paper bags, with a spokesperson stating they have undergone intensive testing and can safely hold up to 6kg and be reused multiple times.

Members, we'd like to hear your thoughts. Have you also encountered issues with Coles grocery paper bags? If so, please share any alternative bag options or solutions with us. Feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments below!

Sponsored
In June, supermarket giant Coles removed single-use plastic shopping bags from their stores to reduce environmental waste, but one shopper's experience reveals the move may have brought some unexpected new issues.

The woman claimed that these bags, which cost 25 cents and are advertised to hold six kilograms, aren't up to the task.

In the footage, the customer's Coles bag, which is said to be made from 100% recycled paper, was shown torn and on the ground, with her grocery items, such as a soft drink and a bag of chips, scattered nearby.

She pointed out that the bag's handle ripped, even though she didn't have anywhere close to six kilos of groceries in it.

View attachment 33612
Coles discontinued using soft-plastic shopping bags in-store and online at the end of June. Credit: TikTok/astralfroglet.

The woman also mentioned in the comments section of her video that she evenly distributed the items in the bags, but the paper bag still tore.

'Plenty of others have had the same problem. If the bags aren't fit for purpose or can't hold the 6kgs that they claim, they shouldn't be sold,' she argued.

Hundreds of fellow supermarket shoppers flooded the comments section of her post.

Some people questioned why Coles still sells these bags if they don't hold up. Others shared their own experiences with the bags tearing, even with relatively light loads.

For instance, one person mentioned that the bags ripped with just three 1.25-litre bottles of soft drinks. 'Ever since then, if I get them, I carry them like a baby,' the commenter added.

There was even a serious incident where a Coles bag broke, causing a senior to fall and break her arm. To make matters worse, when the situation was reported to the Coles manager, the response was unsympathetic.

While some shared their frustrations on social media, a few SDC members suggested carrying more durable reusable bags when shopping to avoid such issues.

Member @Elva shared, 'We keep a box and small trolley in the car boot. A few bags for small shops.'

'For years, we have been using ALDI trolley bags, set of 4. After emptying, they are always returned to the car. Have a fold-up light one hooked to my purse for when I wasn't going to buy anything,' member @Pat T added.

Member @Heths also shared their idea, 'I've got a few bags made out of lightweight material that can be folded and stored in my handbag so they are always there for shopping and easy to wash when required.'

Coles responded to customer concerns by defending the durability of its paper bags, which they claim can hold up to six kilograms of groceries.

A spokesperson stated that these bags have undergone rigorous independent testing, proving their ability to safely carry groceries, including chilled and frozen items. They can also be reused multiple times.

The supermarket chain also noted that this shift in packaging would eliminate 230 million plastic bags from circulation across the country within a year.

Matt Swindells, Coles Group Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, stated: 'The most sustainable option is to bring your own reusable bag to the supermarket, but for those who forget, we will continue to sell 100 per cent recycled paper bags that can be recycled kerbside, as well as other reusable options.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper criticised Coles for switching from plastic to paper bags, claiming her groceries were damaged when the bag broke.
  • The woman said that despite the new paper bags being allegedly designed to hold up to 6kg, the bottom of her bag fell out before reaching this weight.
  • The incident has sparked mixed responses from fellow Coles customers, with some criticising the quality of the bags and others suggesting using more durable recyclable bags.
  • Despite the criticism, Coles stands by its switch to paper bags, with a spokesperson stating they have undergone intensive testing and can safely hold up to 6kg and be reused multiple times.

Members, we'd like to hear your thoughts. Have you also encountered issues with Coles grocery paper bags? If so, please share any alternative bag options or solutions with us. Feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments below!
Another issue at any of the supermarts I recently bought underwear and got home only to find that their anti-theft lock device was still attached. So much for self serve card only.

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540

View attachment 33612

Key Takeaways

In my handbag I carry one of those material bags that go into a very small zip up bag that will clip onto the ring holding the handbag strap, a few of these in the boot of the car would be a better option that paper bags, I hate them from my young days that's all we could get and many an item was broken, really bad when they break and 1lb (about 2kg) of flour goes all over the floor and you too lol they didn't have handles on the bags back then lol

Reactions: Rosalie30

View attachment 33612

Key Takeaways

Recently shopping at Woollies got 3 paper bags. Any thicker would be cardboard. Loaded dry heat no problem. Well done Woolworths .

I have small foldable bags in the car always, I don’t carry a handbag and these fit in my pockets perfectly - 2 in each pocket. I have not used carrier bags for my shopping in about 20 years, long before it became fashionable. I now have 1 bag for meats, 3 for regular shopping and 2 for clothing. Different colours so no chance of mixing them up. I would never trust the handles of paper bags no matter how little I had in them.

View attachment 33612

Key Takeaways

My coles bag also broke, with 2 kilos of mince landed on my foot thought I'd broken my toe. wondered if I could get my money back. Ha Ha

I have all my shopping home-delivered, it is notable that the delivery person never holds the handles, is this due to past experience
I have mine delivered also, the guys use the handles.never seen them drop one yet😁6 cans cat food,1box cat food ,1 bag cat bikkies.must make them tough in vic😹 I have a paper bag filled up with lemons and one full of potatoes still no breakage.😁

Last edited:

View attachment 33612

Key Takeaways

Robert
I refuse to pay 25cents for a paper bag, that is not up to doing the job, years back we got paper bags for free at the supermarkets.

With the advent of warmer and more humid weather, failure of these paper bags will only become more prevalent.

Think of frozen goods, glistening with lovely condensation, compromising the integrity of these bags.

Remember the old saying? "Weak as a wet paper bag". Coming to a supermarket near you.
They don’t put frozen goods in my paper bags😁they put them in plastic bags.

• Haha
Reactions: marni
Somewhat off topic but still relevant.

Last week in the Market Place, Dandenong Plaza, a fruit and veg vendor, wanted to charge a woman for a few plastic bags she ripped off the roll without any produce in them. The cashier said they will be a dollar each!

Understandably, the woman dropped them unceremoniously on the shop floor! One point for the shopper.

Reactions: Defiant540 and DLHM

View attachment 33612

Key Takeaways

The bags are not fit for purpose or maybe just for your bread and biscuits- certainly won't put bottles or cans in them

Somewhat off topic but still relevant.

Last week in the Market Place, Dandenong Plaza, a fruit and veg vendor, wanted to charge a woman for a few plastic bags she ripped off the roll without any produce in them. The cashier said they will be a dollar each!

Understandably, the woman dropped them unceremoniously on the shop floor! One point for the shopper.
If she didn’t use them in the shop that’s stealing🤔