Coles goes green: Soft-plastic shopping bags to be completely phased out by the end of June

Big news on the grocery shopping front! The supermarket giant Coles is making a bold move towards eco-friendliness, as they announced that they're finally giving soft-plastic bags the boot, both in-store and online, by the end of next month.

This means that Coles will stop selling soft-plastic bags by the end of June. They'll be using up their remaining supply, and then it's bye-bye to those plastic bags for good!

Next time you head out for your weekly grocery run, you might want to keep this in mind. This initiative is expected to make a massive difference, taking 230 million plastic bags out of circulation within a year.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 1.05.04 PM.png
Coles has promised to phase out soft-plastic shopping bags in-store and online by the end of June. Credit: Facebook.

Now, we can hear your thoughts buzzing: ''What can we use instead?'' Good question! Coles Group's Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, Matt Swindells, has got us covered.

He suggests that the most sustainable option is bringing your reusable bag when heading to the supermarket. But don't worry; we've all had those moments where we forget our trusty green bags.

In those cases, Coles will still have options for us. If you forget your reusable bag, you can grab a paper bag for just 25 cents. These bags have been tested to hold up to 6kg so that you can pack your groceries without any worries.

But if you're looking for a more durable and sustainable option, Coles has got that covered too. They have a range of reusable bags available for purchase, starting at just $1. And for those big grocery hauls, they have larger size options for $2.50. From next week, these bags will also be available for home delivery and Click&Collect orders.

This transition towards phasing out soft-plastic shopping bags is not their first eco-success. Back in 2018, they removed single-use plastic carry bags at checkouts, which was a huge success. This initiative alone saved an estimated 14,000 tonnes of plastic from annual production.

It's great to see such a big player in the supermarket industry taking responsibility for their impact on the environment. We can all do our part by supporting their initiatives and making small changes in our daily lives. Every little bit counts!

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket giant Coles has announced that it will stop selling reusable plastic bags in-store and online by the end of June 2023.
  • The supermarket's remaining supply of plastic bags will be used up before ceasing to sell them all together.
  • The move is expected to take 230 million plastic bags out of circulation nationwide within a year, and Coles will continue to sell 100% recycled paper bags and reusable tote bags as alternatives.

In related news, a recent development with Coles and Woolworths has addressed a stockpiling issue with soft plastic waste. This waste was accumulated by the now-collapsed company REDcycle.

The NSW Environment Protection Authority has set deadlines for both supermarket chains to dispose of the soft plastic waste found at numerous sites across the country.

The issue is widespread, with nineteen sites in New South Wales, fifteen in Victoria, six in South Australia, two in Tasmania, one in Queensland, and one in Western Australia, all containing stockpiles of plastic waste.

REDcycle's soft plastic recycling program ended last year after it was discovered that soft plastic that consumers returned to supermarkets for recycling was instead put into storage.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 1.05.16 PM.png
Woolworths and Coles took control of REDcycle's stockpiles shortly before the company filed for voluntary administration. Credit: Coles, Woolworths.

It's important for companies to take responsibility for their waste, and it's great to see these supermarket giants stepping up to the plate. Hopefully, this will lead to more stringent measures in the future to ensure that waste is managed responsibly and doesn't harm the environment.

What are your thoughts on Coles' decision to officially stop selling plastic bags? Do you think other supermarkets should follow their lead? Are there any other sustainability initiatives you'd like to see supermarkets take on in the future? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I
Big news on the grocery shopping front! The supermarket giant Coles is making a bold move towards eco-friendliness, as they announced that they're finally giving soft-plastic bags the boot, both in-store and online, by the end of next month.

This means that Coles will stop selling soft-plastic bags by the end of June. They'll be using up their remaining supply, and then it's bye-bye to those plastic bags for good!

Next time you head out for your weekly grocery run, you might want to keep this in mind. This initiative is expected to make a massive difference, taking 230 million plastic bags out of circulation within a year.

View attachment 19478
Coles has promised to phase out soft-plastic shopping bags in-store and online by the end of June. Credit: Facebook.

Now, we can hear your thoughts buzzing: ''What can we use instead?'' Good question! Coles Group's Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, Matt Swindells, has got us covered.

He suggests that the most sustainable option is bringing your reusable bag when heading to the supermarket. But don't worry; we've all had those moments where we forget our trusty green bags.

In those cases, Coles will still have options for us. If you forget your reusable bag, you can grab a paper bag for just 25 cents. These bags have been tested to hold up to 6kg so that you can pack your groceries without any worries.

But if you're looking for a more durable and sustainable option, Coles has got that covered too. They have a range of reusable bags available for purchase, starting at just $1. And for those big grocery hauls, they have larger size options for $2.50. From next week, these bags will also be available for home delivery and Click&Collect orders.

This transition towards phasing out soft-plastic shopping bags is not their first eco-success. Back in 2018, they removed single-use plastic carry bags at checkouts, which was a huge success. This initiative alone saved an estimated 14,000 tonnes of plastic from annual production.

It's great to see such a big player in the supermarket industry taking responsibility for their impact on the environment. We can all do our part by supporting their initiatives and making small changes in our daily lives. Every little bit counts!

Key Takeaways

• Supermarket giant Coles has announced that it will stop selling reusable plastic bags in-store and online by the end of June 2023.
  • The supermarket's remaining supply of plastic bags will be used up before ceasing to sell them all together.
  • The move is expected to take 230 million plastic bags out of circulation nationwide within a year, and Coles will continue to sell 100% recycled paper bags and reusable tote bags as alternatives.

In related news, a recent development with Coles and Woolworths has addressed a stockpiling issue with soft plastic waste. This waste was accumulated by the now-collapsed company REDcycle.

The NSW Environment Protection Authority has set deadlines for both supermarket chains to dispose of the soft plastic waste found at numerous sites across the country.

The issue is widespread, with nineteen sites in New South Wales, fifteen in Victoria, six in South Australia, two in Tasmania, one in Queensland, and one in Western Australia, all containing stockpiles of plastic waste.

REDcycle's soft plastic recycling program ended last year after it was discovered that soft plastic that consumers returned to supermarkets for recycling was instead put into storage.

View attachment 19478
Woolworths and Coles took control of REDcycle's stockpiles shortly before the company filed for voluntary administration. Credit: Coles, Woolworths.

It's important for companies to take responsibility for their waste, and it's great to see these supermarket giants stepping up to the plate. Hopefully, this will lead to more stringent measures in the future to ensure that waste is managed responsibly and doesn't harm the environment.

What are your thoughts on Coles' decision to officially stop selling plastic bags? Do you think other supermarkets should follow their lead? Are there any other sustainability initiatives you'd like to see supermarkets take on in the future? Let us know in the comments!
I will put all
my shopping into the trolley and then put it into the boot of my car as l won't buy any bags at all then simply drive away.

I’ve got a few bags made out of lightweight material that can be folded and stored in my handbag so they are always there for shopping and easy to wash when required, however, long before plastic bags became an option and we had to supply our own bags, the supermarkets used to pack groceries in heavy duty brown paper bags, don’t know why they changed it to be honest. Ok I get why they brought in bringing our own bags, but for those who forget, brown paper bags make much more sense for the environment, they can still be recycled, or a strong cardboard box. I have seen many people at checkouts with a trolley full of groceries all being packed into plastic bags, no bags of their own. Apart from the fact that plastic isn’t good, it must also add quite a considerable extra amount over time for payment of the bags plus what do they do with them when they have unpacked their shopping??? If I give gifts in a gift bag, instead of the fancy gift bag, I put the gift in a green shopping bag which then can be used time and again by the recipient.

For years we have been using Aldi trolley bags, set of 4. After emptying they are always returned to the car. Have a fold up light one hooked to my purse for when I wasnt going to buy anything.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Of course they want to do this. They can sell you more expensive reusable bags.
But what about home delivery ? There’s no way of using reusable bags.
Also there’s all the plastic in the fruit a veg section snd also meat section.
It’s all about looking “green” ( or banning bags before it was going to become a law anyway)

I have a supply of previously purchased shopping bags including cooler types which I take to shop. For impulse or small shop I have a couple of roll-ups in my shoulder bag for these occasions.

View attachment 19478

Key Takeaways

View attachment 19479

They are also phasing out staffed cash registers and pushing us towards self-scanning. Coles is off my shopping list!

Last week I went to a Coles shop which opened only recently and there were not any staff to help you to assist with the payment. You do all yourself , they even have long belts to add your groceries .
I noticed just about every shopper bought plactic bags . People just buy them when they are available , just take them away , get rid of that problem . Same as the cheap , unhealthy lollies etc , if they are not available in the shop , you can’t eat them.

When we were overseas years ago, and I mean like a decade, you had to bring your own bags then in the UK and Europe, I thought it was great back then. And the only bags you could buy were well made heavy duty cloth bags so Australia has been lagging on this for quite some time.

When they first brought out reusable cloth bags, we brought several, over the years we have replaced them when needed, I would rather pay I think its 3 dollars now for a material reusable bag that I can use time and time again then pay 15 cents for a plastic bag even if you can recycle it. Also with the cost of groceries these days adding the extra for the bag on top of your shopping makes no sense to me. But of course it is up to the individual what they want to use. I also haven't seen many people reuse the 15 cent bags to do their next lot of shopping, they just buy more.
Again their choice of course.

View attachment 19478

Key Takeaways

View attachment 19479

Good for coles but what about all those plastic bags on bread I had a lot the other day which I took back but they wouldn’t take them back

View attachment 19478

Key Takeaways

View attachment 19479

Yeah I’m all for it but why not go back to the 70’s where supermarkets supplied bags, paper bags which held heaps they were strong and durable, and with the profits that Coles and Woolworths make every year they can afford supply them for free. What do others think

I

I will put all
my shopping into the trolley and then put it into the boot of my car as l won't buy any bags at all then simply drive away.
Fair enough. We are being asked to pay for bags when before the supermarkets gave them away. Many people including myself used them in kitchen and bathroom bins. Now we have to purchase bin bags. I get the feeling that along with climate change scaremongering and reliable???? renewables we are being conned.

Reactions: Oldgirllaughing
I used to live in Europe 40 yrs ago and we always brought our own bags, there was never such thing as plastic bags for free or buying in the shop.
If you don’t bring your bags, you just put your groceries In the back of the car. We are very behind in AU.

Reactions: Bindii
I will not, never have, bought a bag. Don't shop at Woolies or Coles.
Check My docket for anything that has GST and get an immediate refund and have never bought anything that attracts a deposit of 10c