Shocking story of a woman’s plea for help: ‘I can’t find my finger’

Content warning: This article contains graphic images of blood and injuries, and body horror due to a traumatic lawnmower accident. Reader discretion is advised.

Mowing the lawn can be a boring job, no doubt, but it is most certainly not dangerous or life-threatening.

But for one Aussie mum, the mundane chore quickly became a devastating ordeal.

Krichelle Parkinson, a 39-year-old firefighter, had decided to mow her lawn on Sunday afternoon.

As she started her ride-on mower in the backyard, she spotted a garden hose in her way.

‘I turned off the blades and got off the mower,’ she said.

compressed-shutterstock_1391996009.jpeg
Krichelle’s mowing turned out to be a horrific accident. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I moved the hose over, got back on and started the blades when I noticed there was a wire in the hose...and for some reason, I [leaned] over just to grab it and move it out the way.’

However, the wire whirled past her, and before she knew it, it had already cut into her hand.

'There was blood spurting everywhere,' Krichelle recalled.

‘I looked down at my thumb and realised it was gone.’

Not only that, but the horror mowing accident had also inflicted deep lacerations on her four remaining fingers and broken them in the process.

Krichelle believed that either the blades or the pulley system caught the wire and pulled it swiftly across her thumb.

‘There was no skin left, but technically, I still had a thumb as the main knuckle was there, but my bone was exposed,’ she said.

In absolute panic, Krichelle immediately called her partner, who had left the house only minutes earlier, to tell him about the accident. She feared what the impact of this accident would have on her children, who were at home at that time.

She also knew she needed urgent assistance as her home in Seaham, NSW Hunter region, was ‘At least 30 minutes away from an ambulance station’.

Her partner soon arrived. Home security footage shows Krichelle screaming ‘find my fingers’ immediately after the incident while she clutched her injured hand, frantically talking to emergency services on the phone.

‘Initially, I said to my partner, “My fingers are gone”, because it felt like the most damage was to my actual fingers. But in hindsight, that's because they were the only ones that I had left,’ she said.

The accident was not caught on home security footage, but something flew across the yard after a cutting sound was heard.

Despite extensive searching of Krichelle’s thumb by her partner, 13-year-old son, and ambulance workers in her backyard, it was nowhere to be found, and its location remained a mystery to the family.

As Krichelle painfully remembered, 'If it was in one piece, it could have been reattached, but it's nowhere to be found.'

Doctors were forced to ‘cut down the bone’ of the missing thumb to carry out a procedure for Krichelle so she could still have some sensation in the remaining ‘nub’ and could grab things in the future.

Krichelle was in ‘extreme pain’ afterwards and suffered over 30 seizures after the procedure.

Doctors took the recovery ‘one day at a time’ before setting expectations on how Krichelle’s hand function would be in the future.

20231124_095349_0000.png
Krichelle and her family couldn’t find her thumb anywhere in her yard. Credit: Yahoo News Australia

Krichelle admitted that she hadn’t fully comprehended the accident and the extent of her injuries. However, she needed to ‘readjust everything’ and to see where her ‘firefighting goes from here’.

However, she was still grateful for her family, who had a ‘very Aussie’ approach to losing her thumb.

‘Within hours of being in the hospital, my whole family, even my little nephews, are sending “thumbs up” photos to me and have nicknamed me “Nubby”,’ she said.

‘If you don't laugh, you'll cry.’

‘My partner also rang me earlier and said, “Is this the Hogwarts Express? Because I'm looking for platform nine and three-quarters,”’ she laughed.

In the hopes that by sharing her story, other Aussies will think twice before mowing their garden to avoid such terrible accidents.

'The most important thing is, no matter if you think you know what you're doing, don't lean off the mower or touch things on the grass when one is moving. Stop, put the break on, stop the blades and then do it,' she warned.

‘My hand was nowhere near the blades, and this happened.’

Gardening can be therapeutic to some, and it may even boost your longevity! In a previous article, researchers have found that mowing the lawn is an unexpected way to keep you healthy and live longer. You can check the story here.

Members, always be cautious when mowing the lawn in your backyard as it could pose a potential threat. If a similar situation happens to you or someone else when mowing, call 000 for emergency services. Always stay safe, members!

Key Takeaways

• Australian mum and firefighter Krichelle Parkinson suffered a horrific accident while using her ride-on lawnmower when a wire entangled in a hose caused severe injuries to her hand.
  • Krichelle's thumb was completely severed in the incident, and despite searching, neither her family nor medical personnel were able to locate it for potential reattachment.
  • She was rushed to the hospital in hopes of salvaging her hand's functionality.
  • Through the harrowing experience, Krichelle warns others about the potential dangers of gardening machinery and advises people to fully stop and switch off any machinery before removing any obstructive item.

What are your safety precautions when gardening? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Content warning: This article contains graphic images of blood and injuries, and body horror due to a traumatic lawnmower accident. Reader discretion is advised.

Mowing the lawn can be a boring job, no doubt, but it is most certainly not dangerous or life-threatening.

Krichelle Parkinson, a 39-year-old firefighter, had decided to mow her lawn on Sunday afternoon.

As she started her ride-on mower in the backyard, she spotted a garden hose in her way.

View attachment 35643

‘I moved the hose over, got back on and started the blades when I noticed there was a wire in the hose...and for some reason, I [leaned] over just to grab it and move it out the way.’

However, the wire whirled past her, and before she knew it, it had already cut into her hand.

Not only that, but the horror mowing accident had also inflicted deep lacerations on her four remaining fingers and broken them in the process.

Krichelle believed that either the blades or the pulley system caught the wire and pulled it swiftly across her thumb.

‘There was no skin left, but technically, I still had a thumb as the main knuckle was there, but my bone was exposed,’ she said.

In absolute panic, Krichelle immediately called her partner, who had left the house only minutes earlier, to tell him about the accident. She feared what the impact of this accident would have on her children, who were at home at that time.

She also knew she needed urgent assistance as her home in Seaham, NSW Hunter region, was ‘At least 30 minutes away from an ambulance station’.

Her partner soon arrived. Home security footage shows Krichelle screaming ‘find my fingers’ immediately after the incident while she clutched her injured hand, frantically talking to emergency services on the phone.

‘Initially, I said to my partner, “My fingers are gone”, because it felt like the most damage was to my actual fingers. But in hindsight, that's because they were the only ones that I had left,’ she said.

The accident was not caught on home security footage, but something flew across the yard after a cutting sound was heard.

Despite extensive searching of Krichelle’s thumb by her partner, 13-year-old son, and ambulance workers in her backyard, it was nowhere to be found, and its location remained a mystery to the family.

As Krichelle painfully remembered, 'If it was in one piece, it could have been reattached, but it's nowhere to be found.'

Doctors were forced to ‘cut down the bone’ of the missing thumb to carry out a procedure for Krichelle so she could still have some sensation in the remaining ‘nub’ and could grab things in the future.

Krichelle was in ‘extreme pain’ afterwards and suffered over 30 seizures after the procedure.

Doctors took the recovery ‘one day at a time’ before setting expectations on how Krichelle’s hand function would be in the future.

View attachment 35675
Krichelle and her family couldn’t find her thumb anywhere in her yard. Credit: Yahoo News Australia

Krichelle admitted that she hadn’t fully comprehended the accident and the extent of her injuries. However, she needed to ‘readjust everything’ and to see where her ‘firefighting goes from here’.

However, she was still grateful for her family, who had a ‘very Aussie’ approach to losing her thumb.

‘Within hours of being in the hospital, my whole family, even my little nephews, are sending “thumbs up” photos to me and have nicknamed me “Nubby”,’ she said.

‘My partner also rang me earlier and said, “Is this the Hogwarts Express? Because I'm looking for platform nine and three-quarters,”’ she laughed.

In the hopes that by sharing her story, other Aussies will think twice before mowing their garden to avoid such terrible accidents.

'The most important thing is, no matter if you think you know what you're doing, don't lean off the mower or touch things on the grass when one is moving. Stop, put the break on, stop the blades and then do it,' she warned.

Gardening can be therapeutic to some, and it may even boost your longevity! In a previous article, researchers have found that mowing the lawn is an unexpected way to keep you healthy and live longer. You can check the story here.

Members, always be cautious when mowing the lawn in your backyard as it could pose a potential threat. If a similar situation happens to you or someone else when mowing, call 000 for emergency services. Always stay safe, members!

Key Takeaways

• Australian mum and firefighter Krichelle Parkinson suffered a horrific accident while using her ride-on lawnmower when a wire entangled in a hose caused severe injuries to her hand.
  • Krichelle's thumb was completely severed in the incident, and despite searching, neither her family nor medical personnel were able to locate it for potential reattachment.
  • She was rushed to the hospital in hopes of salvaging her hand's functionality.
  • Through the harrowing experience, Krichelle warns others about the potential dangers of gardening machinery and advises people to fully stop and switch off any machinery before removing any obstructive item.

What are your safety precautions when gardening? Let us know in the comments below!
This said she was a firefighter! I cannot say anything!!!!!! You never reach near any blades that are on or moving!!!!

View attachment 35643

View attachment 35675

Key Takeaways

Stop the mower before doing any adjustment. As i hadn't when adjusting the height of an early model mower back in 1968 it an open cooling fan on top and it pulled the sleeve of my jumper into it and cutinto my wrist. I STILL have those scars today it had individual height adjustment from [email protected]

I usually never mow without shoes on but for some reason the week before Xmas in 2021 for whatever reason, probably stupidity, I didn't put shoes on. My furbaby was only about a year old at the time and she decided to attack the front wheels of the mower as I was pushing it, I panicked and stepped around the side of the mower to chase her out of the way and somehow the blades caught the top of my right big toe peeling back a huge piece of skin. That was a trip to the local medical centre and a script of antibiotics. Never forget the shoes now. Lesson learnt the hard way and my furbaby is now locked in the house whenever I mow or edge trim as she tries to attack the edge trimmer as well.

I usually never mow without shoes on but for some reason the week before Xmas in 2021 for whatever reason, probably stupidity, I didn't put shoes on. My furbaby was only about a year old at the time and she decided to attack the front wheels of the mower as I was pushing it, I panicked and stepped around the side of the mower to chase her out of the way and somehow the blades caught the top of my right big toe peeling back a huge piece of skin. That was a trip to the local medical centre and a script of antibiotics. Never forget the shoes now. Lesson learnt the hard way and my furbaby is now locked in the house whenever I mow or edge trim as she tries to attack the edge trimmer as well.
Your reaction was quite understandable!

When I was in the work force, I paid someone to mow. Problem solved.
Now, my little yard is artificial grass ... problem really solved.
Seriously though, you can never be too careful. I have been accused of being over cautious in certain situations. That's because I am a sook and hate pain. Prevention is better than cure.

I am sorry to hear of Krichelle's experience. I hope for her sake this does not affect her fire fighting duties.

All it takes is a lapse of concentration as PepeLePew can attest to.

On one occassion while using my Triton saw table l needed to make an adjustment. Not thinking to turn the saw off first, l reached blindly under the top of the table to raise the cutting height (the spring loaded blade guard wasn't working properly so this was held back with wire meaning the blade was exposed). As l reached under & felt a bite from the blade l quickly retracted my hand, bending the finger at the cut. At the Medical Centre to both the G.P. & my surprise, this wasn't a deep cut with everything still attached. Doing adjustments this way was a rude awakening & certainly a once off.

I am sorry to hear of Krichelle's experience. I hope for her sake this does not affect her fire fighting duties.

All it takes is a lapse of concentration as PepeLePew can attest to.

On one occassion while using my Triton saw table l needed to make an adjustment. Not thinking to turn the saw off first, l reached blindly under the top of the table to raise the cutting height (the spring loaded blade guard wasn't working properly so this was held back with wire meaning the blade was exposed). As l reached under & felt a bite from the blade l quickly retracted my hand, bending the finger at the cut. At the Medical Centre to both the G.P. & my surprise, this wasn't a deep cut with everything still attached. Doing adjustments this way was a rude awakening & certainly a once off.
That would’ve sent your heart racing!! Lucky it wasn’t as bad as it could’ve been.