SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Athena E.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 1, 2023
Want to live longer? Researchers find mowing the lawn a day could be the key!

Living longer and, more importantly, healthier is a desire most people share. Ensuring we live a long and comfortable retirement is what we strive for.

Well, we have some good news: Researchers have found an unexpected way to boost your longevity, which doesn't involve a gym membership or expensive superfoods! The answer, they say, could be hiding right in your backyard.

It turns out that mowing the lawn could decrease the odds of an earlier death. A recent study suggests one in ten premature deaths could be circumvented if people leading an inactive lifestyle mowed the lawn for about 11 minutes daily.

Screenshot 2023-08-24 150214.png
Researchers discovered that lawn mowing could increase a person’s life span. Credit: Magic K/Pexels

Short bouts of moderate activity like a brisk shuffle on the dance floor, splashing about in a water aerobics class, or tenderly caring for your garden are all associated with reducing the risk of an early farewell, heart disease and even cancer.

A team from the University of Cambridge stated that just 75 minutes of moderate exercise a week (which is roughly half the recommended amount) can reduce the odds compared to those not embracing any exercise at all.

‘If you are someone who finds the idea of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity a week a bit daunting, then our findings should be good news,’ Dr Soren Brage, co-researcher of the Medical Research Council, said in a university news release.

This insightful conclusion was drawn after the experts analysed 196 research articles about the health benefits of exercise involving over 30 million adults.

This new research could be a ray of hope for those who find the over two hours of physical activity somewhat daunting.

‘Doing some physical activity is better than doing none,’ Dr Brage added. ‘This is also a good starting position–if you find that 75 minutes a week is manageable, then you could try stepping it up gradually to the full recommended amount.’

Co-researcher Dr Leandro Garcia from Queens University Belfast weighed in on the subject.

‘Moderate activity doesn't have to involve what we normally think of exercise, such as sports or running,’ he explained.

‘Sometimes, replacing some habits is all that is needed,’ Garcia pointed out. ‘For example, try to walk or cycle to your work or study place instead of using a car, or engage in active play with your kids or grandkids. Doing activities that you enjoy and are easy to include in your weekly routine is an excellent way to become more active.’

Key Takeaways

• Research from Cambridge University indicates that mowing the lawn for 11 minutes daily could decrease the likelihood of early demise.
  • Engaging in short bouts of moderate exercise such as brisk walking, dancing, water aerobics, or gardening daily could lower the risk of heart disease and cancer.
  • The research indicates that achieving 75 minutes of moderate exercise a week can decrease risks compared to no exercise.
  • The study suggests that those who find the idea of 2.5 hours of activity a week daunting should take heart from these findings.

So, fellow SDC club members, your lawn could be your new favourite gym.

Mowing it for just 11 minutes a day could possibly help you live a long life. It's interesting how something so routine and mundane can have such profound effects, isn't it?

What are your thoughts on this, members? Do you have a preferred daily activity? Share them in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricki
Sounds wonderful, except we don't have a backyard and have artificial grass on the little square out front.
I guess I could buy a toy mower and go bruuum bruuum up and down the hallway.
Until then, I'll stick to my walks.

Reactions: janj and Gsr
I'm liking this. We have a reasonably medium sized lawn and a large electric mower. 11 minutes a day would get it done in a week, and our old joints would appreciate the minimum exercise. 👍

Reactions: Gsr
Sounds wonderful, except we don't have a backyard and have artificial grass on the little square out front.
I guess I could buy a toy mower and go bruuum bruuum up and down the hallway.
Until then, I'll stick to my walks.
You could always offer to mow someone else's lawn with their lawn mower? My mum struggled with her grass and mowing it well into her 80's and would have loved someone local to help her with it.

You could always offer to mow someone else's lawn with their lawn mower? My mum struggled with her grass and mowing it well into her 80's and would have loved someone local to help her with it.
Sounds like a good plan, except we are both aged pensioners toddling about on mobility aids, and, deliberately down sized so we don't have to worry about the lawns. I do have lots of pot plants, but no garden at all. It's wonderful. If I was 20 years younger, I would still be mowing just like I used to.

Sounds like a good plan, except we are both aged pensioners toddling about on mobility aids, and, deliberately down sized so we don't have to worry about the lawns. I do have lots of pot plants, but no garden at all. It's wonderful. If I was 20 years younger, I would still be mowing just like I used to.
If I mowed my lawn for 11 minutes every day I'd have no lawn left.

Reactions: MariaG