Shocking photo of grandmother attacked in her own home released by police

Content Warning: This article contains graphic descriptions and imagery of a violent attack against the elderly. Reader discretion is advised.

In a deeply disturbing incident that has shaken the community and law enforcement alike, Western Australia Police have taken the unusual step of releasing a graphic image of a Perth grandmother who was brutally attacked in her own home.

The harrowing photo, which depicts the elderly woman named Nannette with severe bruising and injuries, has prompted a widespread appeal for information to bring the perpetrators to justice.

The assault occurred when Nannette and her husband Phillip, aged 73 and 76, respectively, were duped into allowing three men into their Girrawheen residence on Monday evening, April 15.

The men, who deceitfully claimed to be police officers, presented a counterfeit badge to gain entry. What unfolded over the next half-hour was nothing short of a nightmare.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 075323.png
Western Australia Police released a photo of the victim. Image source: Western Australia Police Force/Facebook

The elderly couple was subjected to a terrifying ordeal.

Phillip was restrained, while Nannette endured a savage beating at the hands of the intruders.

The attackers then proceeded to rob the couple of jewellery, which has been described as having 'extremely large value’, before making their escape on foot.

Police Commissioner Col Blanch expressed his revulsion upon seeing the image of the victim, stating: ‘I saw the photo of the victim this morning, and it made me sick to my stomach.’

‘To have people at home suffer that type of attack is a disgrace.’

Detective Inspector Gary Butler echoed these sentiments, saying: ‘Violence of this nature is unacceptable, and it will not be tolerated.’

‘The community deserves the right to feel safe and secure in their homes, the public should feel outraged,’ he added.

The community has been urged to assist in any way possible.

The couple's daughter, still reeling from the shock, revealed that her mother had just recovered from a health ordeal.

‘She's 73 years old, she's just fought cancer for two years, and she was just coming good,’ she said.

In the aftermath of the attack, some of the stolen items have been fortuitously recovered. However, the hunt for the assailants continues.

Detective Inspector Butler provided descriptions of the three men, noting their olive complexions and attire consisting of dark-coloured pants, shirts, and long-sleeve jackets.

Two of the men are approximately 165 centimetres tall, with the third being taller, between 185 and 190 centimetres.

‘We will not stop until these offenders are apprehended and placed before the courts,’ he said.

In light of this incident, the public has been reminded that legitimate plain-clothes police officers will always carry proper photographic identification, and residents should request and verify such credentials when officers request entry to a home.

Nannette was hospitalised for her injuries and remains in need of medical treatment, while Phillip has been discharged and is now being supported by family.

The trauma and physical pain inflicted upon this couple are immeasurable, and the community's assistance is crucial in capturing those responsible.

You can watch Detective Inspector Butler’s statement here:
Warning: This video shows graphic imagery. Viewer discretion is advised.

Source: Western Australia Police Force/Facebook​

The Western Australia Police posted: ‘Detectives are urging anyone with any information relating to this incident, or who saw, or has CCTV or dash-cam vision, of any suspicious persons or vehicles in the area of Allison Drive between 6:30 p.m. and 7:45 p.m., to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via www.crimestopperswa.com.au .’
Key Takeaways
  • Perth grandmother Nannette was viciously attacked by three men posing as police officers in her home in Girrawheen, Western Australia.
  • Nannette and her husband Phillip were duped by a fake police badge and subjected to a brutal 30-minute ordeal.
  • The attackers bound Phillip and savagely assaulted Nannette, stealing jewellery of significant value.
  • Police urge the public to come forward with any information and remind them that all plain-clothes officers must show photographic identification.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Nannette and Phillip, and their family during this difficult time.

Sponsored
Bastards. What kind of person does this to an elderly lady? Definitely not a man!! because no real man would ever hit a woman, let alone bash her to this state. Hope the police catch them soon & then give them a dose of their own medicine - or put them in prison & let the other prisoners do that for them.

Hoping that both of these seniors recover physically quickly although the psychological damage will be very hard to recover from.

After seeing the photograph of that poor woman I would not call them men but animals, when found I would like to see them subjected to an old punishment the cat of nine tails, I remember in my teens in the UK seeing in the newspapers certain criminals were ordered so many strokes, you never saw their names in the newspaper again, I know this is barbaric, so was the attack on the victim.

This brings back memories of my Mum who had a burgurlar who jumped the back fence and terrorised her and our dog who was staying with her briefly. My mum was worried about my dog being hurt, though he being a weimaraner was trying to protect her so she let the perpetrator through the house as that was the only way out. I do not know the extent of the damage of what he did to her because she would not talk about it but she went into decline thereafter and died not long after. When i arrived home I saw a police car slowly go past so I expect this perpetrator was on the run but she refused to report it. It still haunts me today.

It is bloody sickening to read or hear things the like of this. And I am of the strong beliefs that these 3 animals, YES ANIMALS might have had their fair share of attention by the police in the past and the failed system we have in Australia, (where the protection and the attention is always given to the defendants and not to the victims) has let them go either on parole or just with a warning.
For the life if me I can't see first offenders doing these sort of things even coming up with the pretence of being active Police Officers.
Complete shame to the people running the Justcice system as they will never learn until someone in their own immediate family will suffer these consequences.

After seeing the photograph of that poor woman I would not call them men but animals, when found I would like to see them subjected to an old punishment the cat of nine tails, I remember in my teens in the UK seeing in the newspapers certain criminals were ordered so many strokes, you never saw their names in the newspaper again, I know this is barbaric, so was the attack on the victim.
Some harsh punishment has to be inflicted to them. No more of these do gooders helps and protection.

This brings back memories of my Mum who had a burgurlar who jumped the back fence and terrorised her and our dog who was staying with her briefly. My mum was worried about my dog being hurt, though he being a weimaraner was trying to protect her so she let the perpetrator through the house as that was the only way out. I do not know the extent of the damage of what he did to her because she would not talk about it but she went into decline thereafter and died not long after. When i arrived home I saw a police car slowly go past so I expect this perpetrator was on the run but she refused to report it. It still haunts me today.
So sorry to hear that. But you can't blame yourself for something you had no powers on at the time. Hope that that mongrel got caught and punished by the full extent of the Law.

My heart goes out to this couple. I hope you make a full & speedy recovery from your physical injuries & pray that somehow you will find the strength to recover mentally 😢🙏. To call these criminals animals is an insult to animals. I feel for the police having to continually deal with cases like this & then after putting in the hours of work to catch the culprits, the courts let them walk, only for them to reoffend 🤬.

My heart goes out to this couple. I hope you make a full & speedy recovery from your physical injuries & pray that somehow you will find the strength to recover mentally 😢🙏. To call these criminals animals is an insult to animals. I feel for the police having to continually deal with cases like this & then after putting in the hours of work to catch the culprits, the courts let them walk, only for them to reoffend 🤬.
I agree that no animal would behave like this. Only man stoops so low and there should be a more appropriate outcome for the mongrels who did this.:mad:

What a shocking story 😒 that poor couple not only has this caused them physical pain but the mental pain is going to be just as bad.

I pray 🙏 for healing and a full recovery.

Now for those low life animals that did this, they need to be caught and they need to be punished by a very long jail sentence. They need to be made an example of to show other low life's how they will be punished.

There are no words to explain what this couple went through and will still be going through

Animals are better than a lot of humans ......the violence nowadays in society is nothing short of disgusting 🤢

You can la 100% of the balme to the do gooders as they are never made to pay for the consequences of this animals actions.
The Law should be that the do gooders be forced to pay and you will soon find out that they will change their attitudes. Until the taxpayers are the ones constantly forking out and even suffering from their doings it will never change.

Reactions: Annemarie
I think that there are many of us older people that have some fear of this very thing, this isn’t the first time we have heard of older looking people being battered, both in their home or otherwise. The scum bags who pick on the older of us are complete cowards and a lot of us, sadly, have become easy targets. A home invasion is traumatic to anyone, everyone, but for the older people in our society it just seems all the more traumatic, and what years remain will be filled with fear……we are very vulnerable to attack and an example needs to be made on the perpetrators of the vicious assault on these two people that sends a clear message to other criminals like them……. They are the dregs of our society……

It is bloody sickening to read or hear things the like of this. And I am of the strong beliefs that these 3 animals, YES ANIMALS might have had their fair share of attention by the police in the past and the failed system we have in Australia, (where the protection and the attention is always given to the defendants and not to the victims) has let them go either on parole or just with a warning.
For the life if me I can't see first offenders doing these sort of things even coming up with the pretence of being active Police Officers.
Complete shame to the people running the Justcice system as they will never learn until someone in their own immediate family will suffer these consequences.
I'm not an animal lover, but animals do not behave as these excuses for humans did. Here in Vic. they catch them slap them on the wrist then let them out on bail to offend again! I'm in despair at our so called justice system!

I'm not an animal lover, but animals do not behave as these excuses for humans did. Here in Vic. they catch them slap them on the wrist then let them out on bail to offend again! I'm in despair at our so called justice system!
I am sorry to tell you that Victoria is getting more and more like New York where there is no bail and the same perpetrators are caught and release times and time again.
You can thank your Labour Governemnt in Vicotria for that which was led by none ther than Chairman Dan where people could not even talk about going out for a walk on the beach or a swim while the lockdown was on or been arrested, but the crimminals are immediately released.
Still can't work out as to how Victorians are still voting the same mob in when they are kicked in the teeth times and time again.

Reactions: Jersey Girl