Shocking downside of new Australian parking systems that could affect you!

As we embrace the digital age with open arms, it's no surprise that even the most mundane aspects of our daily lives, like parking our cars, are getting a tech makeover.

Across Australia, cashless parking systems are being introduced, with significant cities leading the charge in adopting these tech-forward payment methods.

But as with any technological advancement, there are pros and cons, and the cons are causing a stir among Aussie drivers.

Gone are the days of fumbling for coins or tapping your card to pay for street parking.

Instead, drivers must now use smartphone apps like PayStay in Sydney's northern suburbs and EasyPark in most areas of Perth.

1727136627870.png
Cashless parking systems using phone apps are being introduced in major Australian cities, raising concerns among residents. Credit: Reddit

While some residents praise these apps' convenience, others are far from convinced, citing concerns over cybersecurity and privacy.

The new parking systems have sparked a debate that's dividing the nation.

On the one hand, some appreciate the ease of use and that they only pay for the exact time they park.

On the other, there are voices of concern, particularly those who are wary of providing personal information to these apps, which require details such as name, address, and phone number.

Cybersecurity expert Matthew Warren from RMIT has weighed in on the issue, highlighting the lack of choice for residents as a significant problem.

'It puts us, people and members of communities, at a complete disadvantage because you've got no choice but to download the app, provide your information, and just hope that there isn't a problem,' he said.

In Melbourne, where similar systems have been introduced, Warren noted that many problems and issues have arisen, especially for those who need a mobile phone when parking.

Trust in the provider becomes a central concern, as Warren emphasised the importance of councils considering cybersecurity when selecting providers rather than just opting for the cheapest option.

In December, EasyPark, a Dutch company, experienced a data breach that affected European customers.

Despite extensive backlash from residents who've labelled the new systems a 'total nightmare,'

‘I think what councils are concerned about is generating revenue, and if this is a way for them to optimise their revenue generation, that's what they're focused on,’ Warren said.

‘If anything, I think they would opt more and more into these systems because, again, they're transferring it to a third party, so it's reducing their cost.’

‘They're then generating higher income streams, and they can police it as well by fining people if they have done the wrong thing.’

In other news, ticketless parking fines in NSW increased by 49 per cent during the 2023-24 financial year.

Drivers and NSW Minister for Finance Courtney Houssos have urged the abolition of the ticketless parking system, advocating for councils to implement on-the-spot notifications. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Cashless parking systems requiring phone apps are being adopted across major cities in Australia, prompting concerns from residents.
  • Cybersecurity experts warn that users are disadvantaged due to a lack of alternative payment options and the potential risk of data breaches.
  • Despite an EasyPark data breach in Europe, Australian councils continue to push forward with these systems, prioritising revenue generation.
  • Critics argue that councils must adequately address privacy and usability concerns, with some users experiencing issues and added surcharges.
Have you had an experience with these new parking apps? Do you feel they're a step forward or a step back? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I hate it! My husband and I entered a car park on the Gold Coast last year, and even after reading the instructions we still had absolutely no idea what to do. Finally we found two young men who agreed to help, which left us feeling not only frustrated but inadequate and embarrassed, too. We have been a victim of an elaborate scam a few months ago, so, learning we could all be at risk from cyber attacks just doesn’t sit well at all. Again, I shake my head at the lack of concern for vulnerable people.

Just another for of control over the people.
knowing when and where you parked your car at anytime.
then you use your credit card to purchase and they know when, where and how much you spend.
The GPS in your vehicle tells them exactly how you got to where you went.
Soon you will have to enter a code into your home security system to advise them that you are leaving then again on your return.

Smartphone Apps are all-well-and-good, but cybersecurity is becoming a greater threat to personal safety on a daily basis. All would-be vendors need to be acutely aware of the possibility of cybersecurity breaches and act accordingly and appropriately. Sadly, most said vendors have only revenue generation on their minds while online security is the last thing on their agenda, if there at all.

Local councils need to adopt appropriate policies for dealing with the security of not only their own networks but also any external networks they are dealing with and in particular the security of their clientele. The same applies to all businesses and government departments interacting with the worldwide web.

I hate it! My husband and I entered a car park on the Gold Coast last year, and even after reading the instructions we still had absolutely no idea what to do. Finally we found two young men who agreed to help, which left us feeling not only frustrated but inadequate and embarrassed, too. We have been a victim of an elaborate scam a few months ago, so, learning we could all be at risk from cyber attacks just doesn’t sit well at all. Again, I shake my head at the lack of concern for vulnerable people.
Stina, I'm with you and not everybody has a mobile phone and with data! You were lucky to find someone who was willing to help you and I know what you mean by feeling inadequate and embarrassed, I wonder wahat this world is coming to!

Reactions: PattiB and croz
Smartphone Apps are all-well-and-good, but cybersecurity is becoming a greater threat to personal safety on a daily basis. All would-be vendors need to be acutely aware of the possibility of cybersecurity breaches and act accordingly and appropriately. Sadly, most said vendors have only revenue generation on their minds while online security is the last thing on their agenda, if there at all.

Local councils need to adopt appropriate policies for dealing with the security of not only their own networks but also any external networks they are dealing with and in particular the security of their clientele. The same applies to all businesses and government departments interacting with the worldwide web.
What will never happen, it seems to be a case of "buyer (or user) beware"

Just another for of control over the people.
knowing when and where you parked your car at anytime.
then you use your credit card to purchase and they know when, where and how much you spend.
The GPS in your vehicle tells them exactly how you got to where you went.
Soon you will have to enter a code into your home security system to advise them that you are leaving then again on your return.
TOO RIGHT

We are a mobile phone free household and proud of it. This means we will have to purchase one just so we can do our weekly shopping and our local centre. I guess council won’t buy one for us and pay the network cost to maintain it?
VeeFar, Congrats to your household for being mobile phone free and commiserations when you are backed into a corner to have one!! I have a phone but only use it to make calls, send txt's and take photo's and my data plan is very small because my budget is fixed and very tight. Maybe the Government...Pfft... should give us all a smartphone with unlimited data, that way, they can keep track of us all!!

VeeFar, Congrats to your household for being mobile phone free and commiserations when you are backed into a corner to have one!! I have a phone but only use it to make calls, send txt's and take photo's and my data plan is very small because my budget is fixed and very tight. Maybe the Government...Pfft... should give us all a smartphone with unlimited data, that way, they can keep track of us all!!
Don't give them ideas... they may have thought of them as iPones cost $10.00.. that's right $10.00