Shocking discovery in Woolworths milk fridge leaves customers appalled

For one Woolworths shopper, a routine trip down the dairy aisle unexpectedly took a disgusting turn.

Their shocking revelation sparked a wave of concern among customers, prompting an investigation by the supermarket giant.

A Woolworths store in Rozelle, Sydney, has come under fire for alleged hygiene breaches after a customer claimed to have discovered black mould growing in the dairy fridge, along with expired products on the shelves.

The customer took to a local online group to share her unsettling discovery. 'Just wondering if anyone else has hygiene concerns about Woolworths Rozelle Metro?' she asked.

'Black mould on the shelves, constantly selling expired dairy/poultry products—have already reported this but has anyone else experienced something similar?'

Screenshot 2024-01-16 080137.png
Local shoppers have reported the Woolies store multiple times due to its hygiene problems. Image: Facebook

Mould Expert Dr Cameron Jones confirmed that the substance seen in the photos shared by the customer was indeed mould, although he couldn't identify the exact species from the images.

Mould is a type of fungus that thrives in damp environments and can cause health problems, particularly in people with weakened immune systems or allergies.

Its presence in a food retail environment is a serious concern. Not only can it contaminate food products, but it can also become airborne and pose a risk to customers and staff through inhalation or skin contact.

Certain types of mould and yeast, such as Exophiala sp or Aureobasidium sp, can even thrive in cold environments like fridges and cause infections affecting the skin, hair, and nails.

Responding to the allegations, a Woolworths spokesperson stated that the company takes food safety very seriously and was disappointed to see these reports.

'We will be investigating them with the store as a matter of priority. The fridge has now been thoroughly cleaned, and we apologise to our customers for this experience,' a spokesperson said.

However, this incident has raised questions about the overall hygiene standards at Woolworths Rozelle Metro.

Several other customers have reported similar observations, with some even claiming to have suffered food poisoning after shopping at the store.

A shopper said: ‘It's disgusting! I have reported it several times to the staff/management in store. I have also written to their head office!’

‘I have noticed a big decline in Rozelle Metro. I have stopped shopping there so much, and I have been a daily shopper in the past. Lots of empty shelves. Veges are often of poor quality. A lot of stock is not on the shelves. Often, no one is available at the front desk,’ another said.

Preventing Mould Growth in Retail Environments

Retail environments, particularly those dealing with fresh produce and dairy products, need to maintain high standards of hygiene to prevent mould growth.

This includes regular cleaning and disinfection, proper ventilation, and maintaining appropriate temperatures in refrigerated areas.

Dr Jones suggests that the inside of fridges should be cleaned using regular steam disinfection of the internal areas, followed by cleaning with a sporicidal disinfectant.

'This fridge should have a temperature maintenance log and a cleaning schedule that should be updated and monitored for compliance,' he added.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper raised hygiene concerns after finding black mould in the dairy fridge at the Rozelle Metro store.
  • Mould Expert Dr Cameron Jones confirmed the presence of mould from the photographs and discussed potential health risks.
  • Woolworths responded by stating they take food safety seriously, apologised to customers, and have since cleaned the fridge.
  • Preventative measures include regular steam disinfection and cleaning with a sporicidal disinfectant to stop mould build-up.

Have you ever encountered a similar situation while shopping? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
For one Woolworths shopper, a routine trip down the dairy aisle unexpectedly took a disgusting turn.

Their shocking revelation sparked a wave of concern among customers, prompting an investigation by the supermarket giant.

A Woolworths store in Rozelle, Sydney, has come under fire for alleged hygiene breaches after a customer claimed to have discovered black mould growing in the dairy fridge, along with expired products on the shelves.

The customer took to a local online group to share her unsettling discovery. 'Just wondering if anyone else has hygiene concerns about Woolworths Rozelle Metro?' she asked.

'Black mould on the shelves, constantly selling expired dairy/poultry products—have already reported this but has anyone else experienced something similar?'

View attachment 39330
Local shoppers have reported the Woolies store multiple times due to its hygiene problems. Image: Facebook

Mould Expert Dr Cameron Jones confirmed that the substance seen in the photos shared by the customer was indeed mould, although he couldn't identify the exact species from the images.

Mould is a type of fungus that thrives in damp environments and can cause health problems, particularly in people with weakened immune systems or allergies.

Its presence in a food retail environment is a serious concern. Not only can it contaminate food products, but it can also become airborne and pose a risk to customers and staff through inhalation or skin contact.

Certain types of mould and yeast, such as Exophiala sp or Aureobasidium sp, can even thrive in cold environments like fridges and cause infections affecting the skin, hair, and nails.

Responding to the allegations, a Woolworths spokesperson stated that the company takes food safety very seriously and was disappointed to see these reports.

'We will be investigating them with the store as a matter of priority. The fridge has now been thoroughly cleaned, and we apologise to our customers for this experience,' a spokesperson said.

However, this incident has raised questions about the overall hygiene standards at Woolworths Rozelle Metro.

Several other customers have reported similar observations, with some even claiming to have suffered food poisoning after shopping at the store.

A shopper said: ‘It's disgusting! I have reported it several times to the staff/management in store. I have also written to their head office!’

‘I have noticed a big decline in Rozelle Metro. I have stopped shopping there so much, and I have been a daily shopper in the past. Lots of empty shelves. Veges are often of poor quality. A lot of stock is not on the shelves. Often, no one is available at the front desk,’ another said.

Retail environments, particularly those dealing with fresh produce and dairy products, need to maintain high standards of hygiene to prevent mould growth.

This includes regular cleaning and disinfection, proper ventilation, and maintaining appropriate temperatures in refrigerated areas.

Dr Jones suggests that the inside of fridges should be cleaned using regular steam disinfection of the internal areas, followed by cleaning with a sporicidal disinfectant.

'This fridge should have a temperature maintenance log and a cleaning schedule that should be updated and monitored for compliance,' he added.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper raised hygiene concerns after finding black mould in the dairy fridge at the Rozelle Metro store.
  • Mould Expert Dr Cameron Jones confirmed the presence of mould from the photographs and discussed potential health risks.
  • Woolworths responded by stating they take food safety seriously, apologised to customers, and have since cleaned the fridge.
  • Preventative measures include regular steam disinfection and cleaning with a sporicidal disinfectant to stop mould build-up.

Have you ever encountered a similar situation while shopping? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
Bet I know who runs it, quickiemart.

View attachment 39330

Key Takeaways

Woolworths is certainly in the firing line of late. With their boycott of Australia day merchandise being banned, not just removed. I firmly believe this was a spinoff of the Voice referendum, tit for tat.

On another note, I went into Woolworths at Plainland in Qld one afternoon to pick up a few things. I saw one of their staff marking down several items. I picked up several items in the nearby meat displays and noticed and had expiry date that very day. I approached the staff member with the items as yo whether this constitutes a short life product. He couldn't answer and called out an employee supervisor from the meat section and asked him. With a surley face he abruptly said NO. I said thank you and left the store and went across the road to Aldi and got the same product at a lesser price. Warning, don't tread on this old blokes toes.

Have informed staff at my local Woolies of same issue. Fridges are not cleaned before next delivery arrives. Dead flies on PC soup containers in same shop, I could ramble, on and on. local IGA store had water dripping onto packaged items in their fridge, didn't even move the food when I informed them. How often do you see staff actually emptying and cleaning a fridge.

Regardless of the store brand, they would all be under the same code of hygiene as are all outlets in Australia.
My feeling is that whoever is running a particular outlet has the responsibility to ensure all codes of hygiene are met and adhered to daily, not just when found out.
Is is laziness on the part of managers, or budget issues? The cost cutting savings would be negated with the first fine issued against the store. If something is not right, it needs to be reported.
My local stores have never presented any issues, knock on wood. If I was confronted with all that mould, I would most likely leave the trolley at the front counter, tell the customer service desk why, and leave. If the fridges are not clean, then what else out of our eyesight is being overlooked.
Not good Jan.

I am just butting in here with an update.
I have just come from shopping in Coles. I was amused to see their so-called Australia day merchandise.
Plain blue thongs, plain straw hat and plain white cricket hat. Each could be purchased for any occasion. They had a bit of bunting with Australian flags and a few packs of serviettes with Australia flag image. What a joke, while they lap up all the glory off the back of Woolies failing to supply anything.
🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺 There is no Aboriginal flag in the Emoji's

Woolworths is certainly in the firing line of late. With their boycott of Australia day merchandise being banned, not just removed. I firmly believe this was a spinoff of the Voice referendum, tit for tat.

On another note, I went into Woolworths at Plainland in Qld one afternoon to pick up a few things. I saw one of their staff marking down several items. I picked up several items in the nearby meat displays and noticed and had expiry date that very day. I approached the staff member with the items as yo whether this constitutes a short life product. He couldn't answer and called out an employee supervisor from the meat section and asked him. With a surley face he abruptly said NO. I said thank you and left the store and went across the road to Aldi and got the same product at a lesser price. Warning, don't tread on this old blokes toes.
what do you mean by short life product, what would that mean. Meat has a best before date not a use by date.

Reactions: Macarj
I have just come from shopping in Coles. I was amused to see their so-called Australia day merchandise.
Plain blue thongs, plain straw hat and plain white cricket hat. Each could be purchased for any occasion. They had a bit of bunting with Australian flags and a few packs of serviettes with Australia flag image. What a joke, while they lap up all the glory off the back of Woolies failing to supply anything.
Don't forget to also reference Aldi for not stocking merchandise (that doesn't sell) for Australia Day

I would like to add to the discussion about dirty food stores. This includes all stores.
They have mice running around in their back storerooms. I know that they do put down baits, but they don't kill all of the vermin. Please do not drink straight from a can. You cannot be sure that it is clean.
Either wash the top of the can, use a straw or pour it into a glass. This is for your own health.

Reactions: Gsr
Usually when dairy and frozen are bought in store they are taken straight home and put away……I don’t know about Uber deliveries from supermarkets so I don’t know if they deliver perishables as individual journeys……if there are a number of deliveries on a run then it’s probable that perishable goods will spoil. My daughter shopped online with Woolworths, regularly….the day her last order was delayed 4 times in one day and then scheduled for the next day and again delayed, she just cancelled the order and shops elsewhere….no more chances….there were perishables in her order but they were replaced although like I said, the order was delayed again……she was given updated delivery times but had to phone each time the order didn’t come, they didn’t volunteer the updates….

That would not be hard to believe Albanese will not let the no vote die I knew that he would try to do something to get back at the no voters .

This is going too bloody far if anyone does not want to celebrate Australia Day then that is their decision but do NOT force your opinions on every one else !!!!!!!