Services Australia not meeting own processing time standards, data reveals

The wait for social service payments in Australia has become a test of patience for many, with recent data showing that some Aussies are waiting well beyond the standard processing times for their claims.

This delay is causing significant stress and hardship for those reliant on these payments, particularly in certain parts of the country.

Services Australia, the government agency responsible for delivering social security payments and services, has standards for processing times.

However, the data tabled at last month’s additional estimates shows that these standards are not being met in many cases.

For instance, aged pensioners in Longreach, rural Queensland, faced an average wait of 105 days for their claims to be processed, which is more than double the agency's timeliness standard of 49 days.

compressed-shutterstock_1768477088.jpeg
Long call waiting times have plagued Centrelink. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The situation is not isolated to Longreach. Between July 1 and December 31 of the previous year, age pension claim times exceeded the 49-day standard in nearly every local government area, with claimants in Kangaroo Valley waiting an average of 111 days.

Disability support pensioners in Sydney’s Woollahra faced an even longer wait of 152 days, surpassing the 84-day standard by over two months.

Additionally, individuals applying for Low Income Cards in Darwin experienced an average processing time of 80.3 days, far exceeding the 28-day standard set by Services Australia.

Services Australia has acknowledged the delays and cited workforce issues as contributing to the long wait times, which have been a problem for years.

The backlog in claim processing and increased call wait times have been a source of frustration for many Australians, leading to a rise in user-aborted phone calls and further exacerbating the issue.

In response to the growing concern, Government Services Minister Bill Shorten announced the addition of new staff members last November to help alleviate the pressure on the service.

These new recruits are currently being trained and are expected to assist in reducing the backlog of claims and call wait times.

At the same time, Coalition government services spokesman Paul Fletcher has criticised the current state of affairs, demanding that the Labor government 'fix this mess and improve the agency’s performance’.

‘Communities in every corner of Australia are being plagued by payment delays. Australians need these payments made fast and efficiently, but they are being processed at a snail’s pace which only adds to people’s anxiety and stress,’ he said.

‘Bill Shorten can’t hide from these figures. No community is immune from Services Australia’s incompetence and it’s embarrassing. Australians deserve better.’

Services Australia General Manager Hank Jongen has expressed regret over the longer-than-desired processing times and has apologised to those who have been waiting longer than necessary.

‘We sincerely apologise to people who are waiting longer than they should,’ he said.

‘We now have 3000 new staff to help process claims and take calls. They’re being comprehensively trained and are already helping with calls and claims across the board.’

He remains optimistic, stating that the new staff members have already processed more than 380,000 Centrelink claims and Medicare activities and handled almost 600,000 calls.

‘We are starting to see early signs of improvement in some claim types and expect claim numbers to continue reducing over the coming months,’ he added.

Just recently, a firefighter with six children found himself in a dire situation when he was reportedly cut off from Centrelink support for weeks. What happened? You can read the rest here.
Key Takeaways

• Services Australia data revealed that Australians are facing significant delays in social service claim processing, with some wait times doubling standard benchmarks.
  • Aged pensioners in certain areas waited more than double the agency's standard time, while disability support and low-income cardholders also experienced lengthy delays.
  • The Coalition government services spokesman criticised the current government for the slow processing times and called for a comprehensive review of Services Australia's operations.
  • Services Australia acknowledged the extended wait times and apologised, mentioning the addition of 3,000 new staff members to help reduce the backlog and improve service times.
We encourage our members to share their experiences with Services Australia in the comments below. Have you faced long wait times for your payments? How has this affected you, and what steps have been taken to address the issue? Tell us below.

Sponsored
We’ve been waiting since 5 Dec for our LHCare card to be renewed. I filled out an on line complaint form yesterday. Lo and behold today it’s been approved. 108 days later!
my husband applied for the pension yesterday and was informed it will be assessed between June and July. (Our healthcare card was to be assessed in early January so the June/July looks more like August September). I’d hate to be dependant on Services Australia and really feel for those that are. It’s disgusting.

I honestly can’t complain. We have an excellent office with great staff. We can walk in at anytime and get assistance, occasionally we might have to make an appointment for something specific but most times we get answers straight away. I can’t imagine having to be on hold on the phone for hours only to be hung up on. We are very lucky, and I so appreciate that
Please tell others the location of this Valhalla

I honestly can’t complain. We have an excellent office with great staff. We can walk in at anytime and get assistance, occasionally we might have to make an appointment for something specific but most times we get answers straight away. I can’t imagine having to be on hold on the phone for hours only to be hung up on. We are very lucky, and I so appreciate that
I’m with you no complaints here with my frankston office or on the phone with Centrelink.😊

Please do NOT blame the staff. They are grossly understaffed because they are underpaid, They use to offer overtime pretty much every weekend to clear backlogs and keep claim processing up to date that has now been stopped. Staff work incredible hard and have to put up with daily abuse from unhappy clients.
Blame is at the top. Jongen needs to be replaced with someone far more competent as head of the Department. Sick of the constant empty platitudes and excuses.

Reactions: tumoulin
My daughter‘s husband died on Boxing Day, she made a claim for parenting payment and family tax benefit on 29 December, he was the sole earner and she is still waiting for payment to be granted
Disgraceful..... meanwhile the 'imports' get the red carpet treatment...

Reactions: Littleboy8
I applied for a "Part Age Pension" on 17/12/23, after Retiring and finishing Casual Teaching in the NSW Dept of Education system.
I was told it was a lengthy process and not to expect a result until 3 months (ie 17/03/24).
When the 3 months had elapsed I went to Centrelink to get an update on progress and the kind/efficient person I spoke to said that they were so far behind that they were still processing claims from September 2023. By my calculations my claim may not be processed until June at this rate!

I applied for a "Part Age Pension" on 17/12/23, after Retiring and finishing Casual Teaching in the NSW Dept of Education system.
I was told it was a lengthy process and not to expect a result until 3 months (ie 17/03/24).
When the 3 months had elapsed I went to Centrelink to get an update on progress and the kind/efficient person I spoke to said that they were so far behind that they were still processing claims from September 2023. By my calculations my claim may not be processed until June at this rate!
That would be right. Then they need more data and add another 6 months onto that.....this goes on ad infinitum..... instead of asking for missing data all in one visit every time you visit the centre, they want some extra detail......

Reactions: Gsr
Wait times are disgraceful, my grandson (youth allowance for low paid apprentices) and my sister (DSP) both put forms in over a week ago and the message was claim won’t be finalised til the middle of June. I have contacted our local federal politician about it but haven’t had a reply yet. The staff in my local office are mostly very good, but last time I went there they had a middle aged man who hadn’t been there previously. He was serving us customers and he was downright rude and abrupt and gave the impression he didn’t give a stuff about any issues anyone had. He was not very helpful with my enquiries, just said get online and do it all, the reason I was there is I couldn’t do it online in the first place. I put a negative comment about him on services Australia website. As for updating our assets or income I just don‘t bother anymore, I have never been able to get anything to change online so I figure it is not my problem. We will never be over the assets we are allowed so why do we have to let them know? If we sell shares it is to fund necessary expenses like health issues, new appliances etc so I don’t figure that is any of their business really.

My son started University this year and has been living in on Campus accommodation since 20th January. He is doing a degree in IT which our government says we need more graduates in.
He is entitled to Youth Allowance (student) at the away from home rate plus relocation allowance and rent assistance as the Uni is a long way from home.
We lodged his application for these payments in December but nothing so far and when we enquire are told he meets all the criteria but his application is still being processed. He tells us that none of the other students in his flat are getting paid yet and some are desperate. They are all only paying their rent and surviving with parental help and in our case I have so far put up $3000 and rising to keep him at Uni.
Mr Shorten I want you to know that your department is hurting the very people you say we need. You are making life impossible and discouraging 2 IT students, a teaching student and a medical student that I am personally aware of. We are not all affluent like government ministers Mr Shorten.
Three months now, Centrelink is a disgrace.

• Love
Reactions: Milica
Wait times are disgraceful, my grandson (youth allowance for low paid apprentices) and my sister (DSP) both put forms in over a week ago and the message was claim won’t be finalised til the middle of June. I have contacted our local federal politician about it but haven’t had a reply yet. The staff in my local office are mostly very good, but last time I went there they had a middle aged man who hadn’t been there previously. He was serving us customers and he was downright rude and abrupt and gave the impression he didn’t give a stuff about any issues anyone had. He was not very helpful with my enquiries, just said get online and do it all, the reason I was there is I couldn’t do it online in the first place. I put a negative comment about him on services Australia website. As for updating our assets or income I just don‘t bother anymore, I have never been able to get anything to change online so I figure it is not my problem. We will never be over the assets we are allowed so why do we have to let them know? If we sell shares it is to fund necessary expenses like health issues, new appliances etc so I don’t figure that is any of their business really.
Agree, never tell them about minor changes in your circumstances as that invites major problems over things that amount to nothing.

Services Australia General Manager Hank Jongen has expressed regret over the longer-than-desired processing times and has apologised to those who have been waiting longer than necessary.

‘We sincerely apologise to people who are waiting longer than they should,’ he said.

‘We now have 3000 new staff to help process claims and take calls. They’re being comprehensively trained and are already helping with calls and claims across the board.’

He remains optimistic, stating that the new staff members have already processed more than 380,000 Centrelink claims and Medicare activities and handled almost 600,000 calls.

This is disgraceful, to say the least ..... yeah yea yeah we've heard it all before Mr Jongen.
Another one is probably on a 6 figure salary sitting at home in his luxurious mansion sipping his chardonnay after a long day's work.
How long has he been in this job? 5 minutes????
All his promises I have heard before, umpteen times......
Merely WORDS to quell the riots......
Maybe he could assist pple with at least food payments of around $200 a week out of his wages/super and politicians on high incomes to do the same. They can then wait for re-imbursement of this for months and months on end - even then they will still have enough to live on!

Please do NOT blame the staff. They are grossly understaffed because they are underpaid, They use to offer overtime pretty much every weekend to clear backlogs and keep claim processing up to date that has now been stopped. Staff work incredible hard and have to put up with daily abuse from unhappy clients.
Oh that's sad, "grossly understaffed because they are underpaid"? are you then saying that pple are not applying for c/link jobs because the pay is not good? and what about the pple that are waiting for payments from their claims for months and months - how are they living - how are they able to buy food, pay rents, medicines, utilities, etc etc. Granted in any area of work if their is shortage of staff it means everyone else works harder, but workers are still getting paid, the pple
that are waiting for their claims to be processed have NO monies coming in!

Gee where would that be - we might all have to move their or at least have that phone number to call:_)

I apply for Disability Benefits in November. And l am still waiting.
Plse make sure that you are backpaid from the date that you have submitted your Disability Pension Application in November! I do hope you are successful soon.

Gee where would that be - we might all have to move their or at least have that phone number to call:_)
Our local Centrelink office is great too. Friendly staff who try to help and wait time is usually about 15 minutes. But the system they are working in is pathetic and even the staff have told me that it's full of errors and delays.

Our local Centrelink office is great too. Friendly staff who try to help and wait time is usually about 15 minutes. But the system they are working in is pathetic and even the staff have told me that it's full of errors and delays.
And sadly for c/link recipients they are the ones that are being financially affected, causing undue stress, particularily if they already have existing health issues.

My daughter‘s husband died on Boxing Day, she made a claim for parenting payment and family tax benefit on 29 December, he was the sole earner and she is still waiting for payment to be granted
That's disgusting - seek further assistance from the complaints number which c/link provides, to advise of your financial situation which is now in crises (no payments as yet). With children to feed, call the welfare services in your area, to ask for their help in advocating your application with centrelink, as you have not been granted any payments as yet since december.

My son started University this year and has been living in on Campus accommodation since 20th January. He is doing a degree in IT which our government says we need more graduates in.
He is entitled to Youth Allowance (student) at the away from home rate plus relocation allowance and rent assistance as the Uni is a long way from home.
We lodged his application for these payments in December but nothing so far and when we enquire are told he meets all the criteria but his application is still being processed. He tells us that none of the other students in his flat are getting paid yet and some are desperate. They are all only paying their rent and surviving with parental help and in our case I have so far put up $3000 and rising to keep him at Uni.
Mr Shorten I want you to know that your department is hurting the very people you say we need. You are making life impossible and discouraging 2 IT students, a teaching student and a medical student that I am personally aware of. We are not all affluent like government ministers Mr Shorten.
Three months now, Centrelink is a disgrace.
I should add that I have sent this information with names to our local member Bob Katter and to Minister Shorten. Bob already hates Centrelink as his office deals with endless complaints about them. Let's see if Shorten helps, but I will not be holding my breath.