SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #119 - 22/09/2023

Question 1: Why is Python often used in scientific computing, data mining, and machine learning?

The syntax in Python is known for its simplicity, which makes it a popular choice for beginners. Its readability and simplicity mean quicker coding, which is favorable in fields like scientific computing, data mining, and machine learning. Python's extensive selection of libraries and frameworks also make it a popular choice for these fields.

Question 2: What is Maslow's hierarchy of needs topped with?

Self-actualization is the peak of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and it represents the fulfillment of personal potential.

Question 3: If you're standing on the surface of the earth, which direction is opposite to gravity?

Gravity pulls everything towards the center of the Earth, so the direction that is opposite to gravity from the Earth's surface is up, away from the center of the Earth.

Question 4: What is the world's largest species of shark?

The whale shark is the largest species of shark, and also the biggest fish species in the world. Despite their enormous size, whale sharks are known to be quite docile and pose no threat to humans.

Question 5: What is the name of a polygon with 8 sides?

An octagon is an eight-sided polygon. The term stems from the Greek okto, meaning "eight". It is most widely recognized because stop signs are shaped as octagons.

Question 6: The acronym 'URL' stands for what in internet terminology?

'URL' stands for Uniform Resource Locator, essentially a web address, providing a simple way to locate and retrieve files or other data across the internet.

Question 7: Who is known as the 'father' of modern genetics?

Gregor Mendel was a 19th-century monk and plant breeder whose experiments in breeding peas led to the discovery of dominant and recessive traits, eventually becoming the foundation of modern genetics.

Question 8: Which plant species is known to have the longest lifespan?

The Bristlecone Pine, specifically the Pinus longaeva species, is known to have the longest lifespan of any individual tree, with the oldest known specimen (named Methuselah) being over 4,800 years old.

Question 9: When does a deciduous tree lose its leaves?

Deciduous trees shed their leaves annually in the autumn as a strategy to survive harsh winter conditions. Their leaves will grow back in the spring.

Question 10: Where in the universe is the farthest known galaxy, GN-z11, located?

The galaxy GN-z11 is located in the direction of the constellation Ursa Major. It is currently the oldest and most distant known galaxy in the observable universe, existing just 400 million years after the Big Bang.

You got answers correct

Reactions: OldJim
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #119
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

I have the worst scores on Trivia.
It only goes to prove that I am a moron
or maybe the questions are out of the
Scope of the average person.
The questions are ridiculously hard. I am normally very good at trivia but I just cannot guess these.

I find if I get the first Q wrong my score is low, but I never think to leave it and come back to it.

SDC Trivia Game #119 - 22/09/2023

Question 1: Why is Python often used in scientific computing, data mining, and machine learning?

The syntax in Python is known for its simplicity, which makes it a popular choice for beginners. Its readability and simplicity mean quicker coding, which is favorable in fields like scientific computing, data mining, and machine learning. Python's extensive selection of libraries and frameworks also make it a popular choice for these fields.

Question 2: What is Maslow's hierarchy of needs topped with?

Self-actualization is the peak of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and it represents the fulfillment of personal potential.

Question 3: If you're standing on the surface of the earth, which direction is opposite to gravity?

Gravity pulls everything towards the center of the Earth, so the direction that is opposite to gravity from the Earth's surface is up, away from the center of the Earth.

Question 4: What is the world's largest species of shark?

The whale shark is the largest species of shark, and also the biggest fish species in the world. Despite their enormous size, whale sharks are known to be quite docile and pose no threat to humans.

Question 5: What is the name of a polygon with 8 sides?

An octagon is an eight-sided polygon. The term stems from the Greek okto, meaning "eight". It is most widely recognized because stop signs are shaped as octagons.

Question 6: The acronym 'URL' stands for what in internet terminology?

'URL' stands for Uniform Resource Locator, essentially a web address, providing a simple way to locate and retrieve files or other data across the internet.

Question 7: Who is known as the 'father' of modern genetics?

Gregor Mendel was a 19th-century monk and plant breeder whose experiments in breeding peas led to the discovery of dominant and recessive traits, eventually becoming the foundation of modern genetics.

Question 8: Which plant species is known to have the longest lifespan?

The Bristlecone Pine, specifically the Pinus longaeva species, is known to have the longest lifespan of any individual tree, with the oldest known specimen (named Methuselah) being over 4,800 years old.

Question 9: When does a deciduous tree lose its leaves?

Deciduous trees shed their leaves annually in the autumn as a strategy to survive harsh winter conditions. Their leaves will grow back in the spring.

Question 10: Where in the universe is the farthest known galaxy, GN-z11, located?

The galaxy GN-z11 is located in the direction of the constellation Ursa Major. It is currently the oldest and most distant known galaxy in the observable universe, existing just 400 million years after the Big Bang.

You got answers correct
Exercise improves the brain and a couple of good guesses

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #119
Question 6: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #119
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥

I have the worst scores on Trivia.
It only goes to prove that I am a moron
or maybe the questions are out of the
Scope of the average person.
Me too - a lot of the questions are science or mathematics based and those were my worst school subjects (over 60 years ago!). What is not interesting to me I don’t absorb but my husband’s mind is science/maths based so I ask him if I have any queries - I read the questions here but if they don’t interest me I don’t even get started on them. I was an office administration officer, think that explains everything!

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #119
Question 1: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩

5 out 10, I agree, these are hard trivia questions, like to start my day happy! Back to my happy place, making cards for Charity...