Scientists reveal an alarming risk of ‘silent killer’ disease

As people age, health naturally becomes a more central concern, and for good reason. Conditions that were once distant worries can suddenly become immediate threats.

One such condition, which has been dubbed the 'silent killer', is atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib), an irregular heartbeat that can lead to severe complications such as stroke and heart failure.

Recent research from Denmark has revealed a startling statistic: one in three people will develop atrial fibrillation in their lifetime, a significant increase from previous estimates.

Atrial fibrillation is the most common heart rhythm disturbance, and while it can affect adults of any age, it is more prevalent among the older population.

Approximately half a million Australians are affected with this disease, with the highest rates among individuals aged 85 and older.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 111006.png
Around half a million Australians have atrial fibrillation. Image source: Freepik

The reason it's called a 'silent killer' is that many people with AFib do not experience symptoms, leaving them unaware of their risk for serious health events like strokes.

The Danish study, which analysed the health records of over 3.5 million adults, found that not only is the likelihood of developing AFib higher than previously thought, but the condition also significantly increases the risk of heart failure and stroke.

Among those with AFib, up to 40 per cent may develop heart failure, and 20 per cent may suffer a stroke over their lifetime.

What makes atrial fibrillation particularly concerning is that its exact cause remains somewhat of a mystery.

However, it is known to be associated with high blood pressure, which can be a consequence of obesity. With obesity rates climbing in recent decades, it's not surprising that the incidence of AFib is also on the rise.

The symptoms of atrial fibrillation can include heart palpitations, dizziness, shortness of breath, and tiredness.

However, because these symptoms can be sporadic or non-existent, it's crucial to have regular check-ups with your GP, especially if you're over 60.

A normal resting heart rate should be between 60 and 100 beats per minute, but in AFib, the heart rate can be irregular and sometimes much faster.

If you notice a sudden change in your heartbeat or if your heart rate is consistently below 60 or above 100 beats per minute, it's essential to see your GP.

Additionally, if you experience chest pain, seek medical attention immediately.

The Danish researchers emphasised the need for improved treatments to decrease stroke risk and strategies to prevent heart failure among patients with atrial fibrillation.

‘Our novel quantification of the long-term downstream consequences of atrial fibrillation highlights the critical need for treatments to further decrease stroke risk as well as for heart failure prevention strategies among patients with atrial fibrillation,’ the researchers wrote in the British Medical Journal.

They also call for clinical trials and guidelines to better reflect the needs of the real-world population affected by AFib.

Members, it's vital to be proactive about our heart health. Make an appointment with your GP should you feel any of these symptoms:
  • have breathing problems
  • feel dizzy or lightheaded
  • have heart palpitations (this may feel like your heart is racing or beating too fast)
  • feel weak or tired
  • have chest pain or discomfort
  • have difficulty exercising
To learn more about AFib, you may visit the Heart Foundation's website and Healthdirect website. You can also watch this video here:

Source: Heart Foundation/YouTube​

In similar news, a study suggested that diet soft drinks may increase your risk of AFib by as much as 20 per cent. You can read more about that here.
Key Takeaways
  • One in three individuals is at risk of developing atrial fibrillation, a condition which can lead to strokes and is often labelled a 'silent killer'.
  • Danish researchers found that up to 40 per cent of those with atrial fibrillation might develop heart failure, and 20 per cent are at risk of suffering a stroke.
  • Health experts stressed the importance of prioritising heart failure prevention strategies and treatments to reduce the risk of complications associated with atrial fibrillation.
  • The study emphasised the need for clinical trials and guidelines that address the real-world implications of atrial fibrillation and its increasing prevalence.
Remember, knowledge is power when it comes to your health. By staying informed and vigilant, you can take steps to reduce your risk of atrial fibrillation and its potentially life-threatening complications.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Share them in the comments below.

Sponsored
I couldn't believe it when I developed AF. This only happens to old people, and at 77, I didn't consider myself old. It came out of the blue late one afternoon. I couldn't find a pulse that made any sense (I'm a retired nurse) and my blood pressure was varying wildly. I called an ambulance and was taken to hospital where they diagnosed AF. I now take a blood thinner and a heartbeat regulator and have no trouble whatever. I forget I have it most of the time.

However ....... my brother died with AF. This is rare, but he refused to take medication. He viewed doctors as fools and refused to follow advice. He was 63. If you're ever diagnosed with AF, it's not going to change your life if you follow medical advice and take your medication.

I couldn't believe it when I developed AF. This only happens to old people, and at 77, I didn't consider myself old. It came out of the blue late one afternoon. I couldn't find a pulse that made any sense (I'm a retired nurse) and my blood pressure was varying wildly. I called an ambulance and was taken to hospital where they diagnosed AF. I now take a blood thinner and a heartbeat regulator and have no trouble whatever. I forget I have it most of the time.

However ....... my brother died with AF. This is rare, but he refused to take medication. He viewed doctors as fools and refused to follow advice. He was 63. If you're ever diagnosed with AF, it's not going to change your life if you follow medical advice and take your medication.
I am so sorry that you lost your brother at such an early age. On the other side of the coin, I am sure you are grateful the treatment is there for you. It can be a scary thing to go through.
My hubby had another form of heart condition that, after diagnosis, required immediate surgery and the fitting of a pacemaker. That, and the meds he is on, have helped control his heart function for many years. We can only look after the most important person in our life, being oneself, and hope to live our golden years with peace and tranquility.

Last edited: