Qantas books three-year-old onto different flight than his Mother–the internet is outraged

An irate Mum has posted on Reddit claiming that a Qantas staff member booked her three-year-old son onto a different flight than his mother, asking ‘is there no end to their incompetence?’

DALL·E 2022-07-21 13.38.37 - young child screaming on airplane next to exasperated passengers,...png
Reddit is outraged after a Mum claims that Qantas booked her and her 3 year old son onto different flights. Credit: OpenAI

The post has gathered a lot of attention online, with many people expressing outrage at the airline's allegedly poor handling of the situation, and others piling on with their own gripes about Qantas, and its subsidiary, Jetstar.

'Jetstar once tried to change my flight to my destination after I was coming home. ie. I was flying to Sydney on the Saturday afternoon and back on the Sunday morning, they cancelled my Saturday flight and changed it to the Sunday afternoon flight,' commented one user.

'We’ve had them change our direct Brisbane-Fiji to go via Sydney. The only problem was they only booked our 10-month-old onto the BNE-SYD leg, and not onto Fiji.

‘A different trip, we couldn’t check a 1.5-year-old onto a Singapore-Brisbane flight (travelling with both my husband and myself) because their system couldn’t cope with an under 2yo having a seat purchased for them,' added another.

The post comes on the heels of the airline, and its CEO, Alan Joyce, copping a lot of public flak for recent lapses in service, from missing luggage to flight delays. As we wrote just recently, Joyce’s brand new $19m mansion was covered with eggs and toilet paper by a suspected disgruntled passenger or furious ex-employee.

One user in the Reddit thread commented sarcastically, ‘Don't worry Alan Joyce was paid $24m in 2019, so with someone worth that much at the helm I'm sure everything is going to be fine,’ with another adding: ‘Well if he isn't paid enough, how does he make Qantas earnings look like they require government handouts?’

An article from The Guardian in July of last year claimed that Qantas was on track to receive $2bn in government support in JobKeeper and aviation-specific programs, while at the same time outsourcing the jobs of 2,500 ground workers during the pandemic. It’s believed that this decision is largely responsible for the recent claims that up to 1 in 10 pieces of luggage are currently going missing.

Several hours after posting on Reddit, the Mum updated her post: ‘I have hopefully been able to fix it in order not to abandon my child in Dubai airport however they are now saying that they can't see the seating for the three-year-old and that I should just talk to the airport on arrival.

‘They seem surprised that I am equally upset at abandoning my child at an airport and abandoning them to some random seat for a long-haul flight.’

We here at the SDC wish her the best of luck, and to any members who have upcoming flights, we strongly recommend you avoid checking in luggage if you can.

Have you been on any flights recently? Tell us what your experience was like below.

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
I stopped flying with Qanta when Ansett went under. They were charging people $600 one way to fly to Sydney. I worked in a 5 star hotel in Brisbane and we had an elderly couple that were going home through Ansett when it went under. They called Qantas to see if they could get a flight back and was quoted $600 per person. The poor couple said they would have to hire a car and drive back. They must have been 75 to 80 years old. I know business is business but they could have kept a lot of loyal customers or made new ones if they gave a discount to the Ansett customers. Poor form and a wasted oppotunity

Reactions: SandyM
An irate Mum has posted on Reddit claiming that a Qantas staff member booked her three-year-old son onto a different flight than his mother, asking ‘is there no end to their incompetence?’

View attachment 4624
Reddit is outraged after a Mum claims that Qantas booked her and her 3 year old son onto different flights. Credit: OpenAI

The post has gathered a lot of attention online, with many people expressing outrage at the airline's allegedly poor handling of the situation, and others piling on with their own gripes about Qantas, and its subsidiary, Jetstar.

'Jetstar once tried to change my flight to my destination after I was coming home. ie. I was flying to Sydney on the Saturday afternoon and back on the Sunday morning, they cancelled my Saturday flight and changed it to the Sunday afternoon flight,' commented one user.

'We’ve had them change our direct Brisbane-Fiji to go via Sydney. The only problem was they only booked our 10-month-old onto the BNE-SYD leg, and not onto Fiji.

‘A different trip, we couldn’t check a 1.5-year-old onto a Singapore-Brisbane flight (travelling with both my husband and myself) because their system couldn’t cope with an under 2yo having a seat purchased for them,' added another.

The post comes on the heels of the airline, and its CEO, Alan Joyce, copping a lot of public flak for recent lapses in service, from missing luggage to flight delays. As we wrote just recently, Joyce’s brand new $19m mansion was covered with eggs and toilet paper by a suspected disgruntled passenger or furious ex-employee.

One user in the Reddit thread commented sarcastically, ‘Don't worry Alan Joyce was paid $24m in 2019, so with someone worth that much at the helm I'm sure everything is going to be fine,’ with another adding: ‘Well if he isn't paid enough, how does he make Qantas earnings look like they require government handouts?’

An article from The Guardian in July of last year claimed that Qantas was on track to receive $2bn in government support in JobKeeper and aviation-specific programs, while at the same time outsourcing the jobs of 2,500 ground workers during the pandemic. It’s believed that this decision is largely responsible for the recent claims that up to 1 in 10 pieces of luggage are currently going missing.

Several hours after posting on Reddit, the Mum updated her post: ‘I have hopefully been able to fix it in order not to abandon my child in Dubai airport however they are now saying that they can't see the seating for the three-year-old and that I should just talk to the airport on arrival.

‘They seem surprised that I am equally upset at abandoning my child at an airport and abandoning them to some random seat for a long-haul flight.’

We here at the SDC wish her the best of luck, and to any members who have upcoming flights, we strongly recommend you avoid checking in luggage if you can.

Have you been on any flights recently? Tell us what your experience was like below.
Happy to fly Virgin. Qantas seems to have a multitude of problems.

Flew Melbourne to Brisbane Sunday 17 for a soccer match
Was flying back the same night flight got canceled With virgin
They said they had a flight the next day at 6.10
To Canberra then a flight back to Melbourne arrive at 4.30 pm My grandson had a uni exam in Melbourne at 11am Qantas wanted $1020 a ticket there were 4 of us but thanks to a very kind virgin worker got us on the 6.50am to Melbourne just cost us hotel taxi and food out of pocket $600
Grandson made test got 86% out of 90 👏🏻😂

View attachment 4624

I'm with you no man is worth a Million a Month, especially an incompetent half baked Irishman, that believes that the Australian Government owes him a living, when he takes jobs a family man Australian and wants to give it to a single Philippines person and not pay taxes to the Australian people. Unfortunately the alternative is to fly with Virgin who are a good Airline but a little more expensive. But we must w

Reactions: Happymad
I'm not really sure what nationality has to do with it... Whether he's Irish, Spanish, Chinese, Australian - makes no difference.

But I can personally attest to Qantas significantly declining in quality over the last couple of years. I hope they can turn things around - would be sad to see our national carrier go down the drain.

Reactions: Senor and Happymad
Booked Adelaide Sydney..husband and wife husband suffering PTS ...go to book in..told husband at front of plane and I'm at back..we booked flight as one booking but because I have hyphenated surname they assumed we weren't travelling together...and sorry but flight full no extra seats...we chose seating together at time of booking flights. After nearly missing flights in dispute they got us seats together