Protect your inbox from this Australia Post scam message!

In the digital age, where convenience and speed are celebrated, there's an unfortunate downside that our members need to be vigilant about—the ever-present threat of online scams.

The latest to hit the radar is a particularly sneaky one, and it’s causing quite a stir among Aussies targeted by these fraudsters.

The scam operates through a text message that claims to be from Australia Post.

It reads: 'The package you sent has arrived at our warehouse and cannot be sent because of incorrect address information, please fill in the exact information again, and we will send it within 24 hours.'

The message then prompts them to click on a link to provide the correct details, but beware—this is a trap!

Australia Post has immediately responded with an urgent warning, clarifying that they do not send SMS or email messages asking for personal or financial information, nor do they request payments in this manner.

compressed-scam.jpeg
A fraudulent text message from scammers pretending to be AusPost. AusPost advises to ignore and delete this message immediately. Image Credit: Facebook

For those expecting parcels, Australia Post recommends using the official AusPost app, both available on iOS and Android.

The app provides legitimate delivery updates via push notifications, which are secure and a safer way to stay informed about the status of your deliveries.

‘We're seeing a greater public awareness of cybersecurity but encourage customers to stay alert for signs of a scam, including a non-Australia Post web address, or an unusual sense of urgency or emails asking you to click on a link,’ a spokesperson from Australia Post said.

Phishing, the method used in this scam, is a deceptive practice where scammers lure people into giving personal information. This information can be sold or used to access financial accounts and other sensitive data.

It's a prevalent issue, with Scamwatch reporting nearly $2.5 million lost to such scams in just the first two months of the year across 18,000 incidents.

To protect yourself and your loved ones from these types of scams, here are some tips:

1. Never click on links from unsolicited texts or emails.
  2. Always verify the message by contacting the company through their official channels.
  3. Use multi-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your accounts.
  4. Keep your devices and security software up to date to protect against the latest threats.
  5. Educate yourself on the common signs of a scam and stay informed about new methods.

If you suspect you've received a scam message, do not interact with it.

Instead, report it to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) via the Scamwatch website.

You can keep your personal information and finances safe against these cyber threats through these precautions.

We also have a dedicated Scam Watch thread to stay updated and informed.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are being warned about a new text scam impersonating Australia Post to steal personal information and money.
  • The fraudulent message falsely informs recipients that a parcel they sent was held at a warehouse due to incorrect information and prompts them to click a link.
  • Australia Post has stated it will never ask for personal or financial information or payments via SMS or email.
  • Customers are encouraged to use the AusPost app for secure delivery updates to avoid phishing scams.
We'd love to hear from you about your experiences and any additional tips you might have for spotting and avoiding scams. Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I've had so many of these, but as I didn't have any parcels arriving when it started, I automatically deleted them. Have had both texts & emails. So much to beware of these days.
They said computers were going to change the world.....and they have.... for good & bad as is the way of life anyway.

Why let " scam watch " know - do you ever get a response? all I seem to get is more " scam " where are the government agencies who are supposed to be watching for this sort of thing - look at the amount of people on this site who have problems. I have NEVER heard or read of a scammer being blocked or found, so come on Feds - of your arses, go back to the office, stop working from home and HELP us.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Why let " scam watch " know - do you ever get a response? all I seem to get is more " scam " where are the government agencies who are supposed to be watching for this sort of thing - look at the amount of people on this site who have problems. I have NEVER heard or read of a scammer being blocked or found, so come on Feds - of your arses, go back to the office, stop working from home and HELP us.
They do block the scams, but the scammers just use disposable phones and their numbers just continually change. I gave up on reporting them and just trash them.

Got one a couple of days ago similar.
Auspost: Your Parcel delivery address was wrong.
Please fill it now. https://post.certificatednow.solutions
I use the Auspost app, so I get my tracking and info there, plus they text me when my parcel is ready to collect from my Parcel Collect, never anything else.

Without fail I receive at least a dozen with my Mail and even though I “ BLOCK” these people nothing stops them from sending them constantly.. they are always the same people.. I was under the impression that Blocking someone was effective but this does not seem to be the case..

Re the Aust Post Spam I have received this many times over the last few weeks and have JUST IMMEDIATELY DELETED each one! EAsy 😉

I received such a message
Knew it was a fake I didn't order anything passed number to scam watch