Protect your inbox from this Australia Post scam message!

In the digital age, where convenience and speed are celebrated, there's an unfortunate downside that our members need to be vigilant about—the ever-present threat of online scams.

The latest to hit the radar is a particularly sneaky one, and it’s causing quite a stir among Aussies targeted by these fraudsters.

The scam operates through a text message that claims to be from Australia Post.

It reads: 'The package you sent has arrived at our warehouse and cannot be sent because of incorrect address information, please fill in the exact information again, and we will send it within 24 hours.'

The message then prompts them to click on a link to provide the correct details, but beware—this is a trap!

Australia Post has immediately responded with an urgent warning, clarifying that they do not send SMS or email messages asking for personal or financial information, nor do they request payments in this manner.

compressed-scam.jpeg
A fraudulent text message from scammers pretending to be AusPost. AusPost advises to ignore and delete this message immediately. Image Credit: Facebook

For those expecting parcels, Australia Post recommends using the official AusPost app, both available on iOS and Android.

The app provides legitimate delivery updates via push notifications, which are secure and a safer way to stay informed about the status of your deliveries.

‘We're seeing a greater public awareness of cybersecurity but encourage customers to stay alert for signs of a scam, including a non-Australia Post web address, or an unusual sense of urgency or emails asking you to click on a link,’ a spokesperson from Australia Post said.

Phishing, the method used in this scam, is a deceptive practice where scammers lure people into giving personal information. This information can be sold or used to access financial accounts and other sensitive data.

It's a prevalent issue, with Scamwatch reporting nearly $2.5 million lost to such scams in just the first two months of the year across 18,000 incidents.

To protect yourself and your loved ones from these types of scams, here are some tips:

1. Never click on links from unsolicited texts or emails.
  2. Always verify the message by contacting the company through their official channels.
  3. Use multi-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your accounts.
  4. Keep your devices and security software up to date to protect against the latest threats.
  5. Educate yourself on the common signs of a scam and stay informed about new methods.

If you suspect you've received a scam message, do not interact with it.

Instead, report it to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) via the Scamwatch website.

You can keep your personal information and finances safe against these cyber threats through these precautions.

We also have a dedicated Scam Watch thread to stay updated and informed.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are being warned about a new text scam impersonating Australia Post to steal personal information and money.
  • The fraudulent message falsely informs recipients that a parcel they sent was held at a warehouse due to incorrect information and prompts them to click a link.
  • Australia Post has stated it will never ask for personal or financial information or payments via SMS or email.
  • Customers are encouraged to use the AusPost app for secure delivery updates to avoid phishing scams.
We'd love to hear from you about your experiences and any additional tips you might have for spotting and avoiding scams. Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
Mine has a new address
www.aaustraliapost.auspost***** Painfully obvious.
Red Alert- How would they know who to send the txt to if your details are wrong.
Keep reporting as scam, the more they get the more chance of catching the scum.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I have begun to block the number BEFORE reporting it as a scam which deletes the message. I am getting less and less every day.

I've had so many of these messages, I swear I could fill a whole room with all the parcels I'm supposed to have ordered.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I've had these on numerous occasions. Since I knew I wasn't expecting any parcels I automatically deleted them.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I get phone calls to my virtual land line . it is like having a silent number and is not in any phone book it is usually an indian male and says they are calling from com bank I just put the phone down and leave it for an hour and they cannot ring anyone on that line. and another claims to be pay pal so I do the same .don't hang up that seems to work now.

I get 8-10. Almost every day mostly from the same scammers. If the country goes cashless how many more elderly people will be forced to use the internet with no knowledge of scams ! It will be a great day for these mongrels. Something has to be done to make it safer before they think of going cashless.
Cant you block the numbers?

Hello,got one yesterday, stating delivery obstacle, address damaged in transit, as didnot expect any articles that were in transit, felt it was hoax, yeah do get them , worded a little different, buthappen frequently.

You haven’t ordered anything - so delete. It’s that simple.

They somehow manage to put up phone numbers that don’t exist. Just try calling a (scam) number that comes up on your landline or mobile & you will get the response that you cannot be connected as the number is incorrect/incomplete or similar.

Hi all, i have had this message sent to me many times and as we do not purchase anything online at the time its a bit obvious that it is a scam! Another annoying one is the toll scam, which I have receiving daily; I laugh everytime as we do not live anywhere there are tolls.
I get the toll scam several tomes a week, since I don't drive it's obviously a scam. So delete immediately. Sam with the AusPost one. What desperate people they must be to try scamming people rather than get a real job. We've always had conmen/women but this is over the top. Don't forget the bank scam is out thefe as well and can be an easy ch if it's your bank's name being used.
On my tablet support I have written a reminder that my bank "will never call or send an email to ask for a pin number or password". It's there every day to remind me because I nearly fell for that one while I had a bad dose of flu.

As one who got their last laptop ransom warned I was annoyed to say the least and swore like only a chef could. I would have made Gordon Ramsey look like mother Teresa. So While I had everything backed up I was determined to secure my system. So after a lot a research I decided if MicroSucks couldn't stay ontop of these dam scammers I was going to do it. I ended up formatting my hard drive and installed Linux as an Operating System. This certainly helped and is not what I would expect the average user to be able to do but I do have friends who seem to get impacted regularly one of the best and simplest ways is to go into settings and change the ability to download load pictures and links. You can search this in Google how to do this. In short when I open Gmail I do not have pictures automatically download if it is an unsolicited email I delete it. Hackers using steganongraphy can use it to embed malicious code or viruses within jpeg files. I also don't enable hypertext links they only show up as plain text and not a clickable link. I also use an antiviral software. I found this hardens my computer from attacks. I think taking the time to research and teach myself these things has benefited me no end. I cannot stress enough to take the time and check out videos on YouTube or doing Google searches to do this. Also Blocking emails and scram numbers in your phone in Australia every time I get a scam text I forwarded the sms to 7226 this sends it to Telstra and they can address the issue even if you are using a different provider like optus you can still forward the scam text to telstra remember they own the infrastructure. Stay Safe Online don't let these bastards take you for a ride or get your hard earned cash. I'm always happy to help others with computer issues also another simple thing is having what I call my guff email account it is an account I only use to sign up for newsletters and such with a nickname to read my knitting or other stuff and while it gets bombarded at times with phishing emails it is not connected to anything else I often used my old dogsname Chelsea in the email address and when I would get a scam email addressed to Chelsea I know it's as dodgy as a 2 Bob watch. lol

I get this scam on a regular basis, I might be old but I ain’t daft & report as SPAM each time which doesn’t deter the sender!

Living in the country and doing a lot of internet shopping, I also get these messages all the time.I just trash them, but they are a damn nuisance.
As much as the internet has great benefits, I sometimes wonder if we were better off without it. What we didn't have we didn't miss.
Remember those mail order catalogues? Remember those local bank branches? remember those butchers, bakers and ironmongers? Remember cheque books for paying bills? Remember fax machines that also did duty as a telephone?It all worked, very efficiently.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
As one who got their last laptop ransom warned I was annoyed to say the least and swore like only a chef could. I would have made Gordon Ramsey look like mother Teresa. So While I had everything backed up I was determined to secure my system. So after a lot a research I decided if MicroSucks couldn't stay ontop of these dam scammers I was going to do it. I ended up formatting my hard drive and installed Linux as an Operating System. This certainly helped and is not what I would expect the average user to be able to do but I do have friends who seem to get impacted regularly one of the best and simplest ways is to go into settings and change the ability to download load pictures and links. You can search this in Google how to do this. In short when I open Gmail I do not have pictures automatically download if it is an unsolicited email I delete it. Hackers using steganongraphy can use it to embed malicious code or viruses within jpeg files. I also don't enable hypertext links they only show up as plain text and not a clickable link. I also use an antiviral software. I found this hardens my computer from attacks. I think taking the time to research and teach myself these things has benefited me no end. I cannot stress enough to take the time and check out videos on YouTube or doing Google searches to do this. Also Blocking emails and scram numbers in your phone in Australia every time I get a scam text I forwarded the sms to 7226 this sends it to Telstra and they can address the issue even if you are using a different provider like optus you can still forward the scam text to telstra remember they own the infrastructure. Stay Safe Online don't let these bastards take you for a ride or get your hard earned cash. I'm always happy to help others with computer issues also another simple thing is having what I call my guff email account it is an account I only use to sign up for newsletters and such with a nickname to read my knitting or other stuff and while it gets bombarded at times with phishing emails it is not connected to anything else I often used my old dogsname Chelsea in the email address and when I would get a scam email addressed to Chelsea I know it's as dodgy as a 2 Bob watch. lol
You could be a very cunning scammer using a helpful post in SDC............

These scams are fairly easy to pick. I respond to them sometimes with a short message using a couple of choice words.