Privacy concerns arise as GP chain offers bulk billing in exchange for patients’ personal data

In a recent announcement, the medical chain Our Medical—a national bulk-billing GP chain with locations throughout Victoria, New South Wales, and Queensland—is promoting a range of rewards and discounts for those who sign up for their rewards program.

This includes a free flu vaccine, a $20 dental voucher, a $20 physio voucher and local offers and discounts. It sounds good, right?

Except for members to access the rewards program, they’ll need to sign up online or via an app handing over their personal data in doing so.

For existing members, Our Medical has clarified that if you want to continue seeing the doctors at their centres, the patient 'will need to join the Rewards program'.

And for those who don't wish to sign on the dotted line or hit the proverbial 'Agree' button, they'll instead be paying a private fee for their medical appointments.

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 11.21.37 AM.png
A chain of GP clinics has been scrutinised for asking patients to share their data in exchange for a bulk billing appointment instead of being out of pocket. Image source: Facebook/Our Medical Gold Coast.

In a blog post, Our Medical highlighted its rewards program, emphasising its core belief in ensuring access to quality healthcare for everyone, wherever and whenever needed.

However, some experts have raised a valid concern: How does this belief align with the company's choice to charge significantly higher fees for individuals who choose not to participate in the rewards program?

This apparent contradiction has sparked a debate about the company's commitment to providing equitable healthcare access.

Melbourne University Law School Professor Jeannie Paterson disagreed with the move. When asked about Our Medical's decision, she said: ‘Some people simply don’t want their data aggregated.’

‘It’s not illegal to say that people who don’t use the app have to pay more. But I think it’s ethically problematic. A clinic that bulk bills is really important to some people. Particularly in this time of rising costs.’

Consumer group CHOICE’s Consumer Data Advocate, Kate Bower, also believes that customers of Our Medical have a right to be upset about the change the chain is demanding.

'These were patients who’d previously been bulk-billed by the clinic and were now being told that they had to sign up to the rewards program or pay a $90 out-of-pocket fee in order to see a doctor,' she told a news source.

In response, Our Medical confirmed that they indeed handle all personal information in accordance with applicable privacy and health records legislation and that their rewards program never uses personal data for commercial purposes or shares it with any third-party groups for financial gain.

On top of that, they state that no further information is captured through the rewards program than in the usual patient registration process.

The medical chain also highlighted the need to accurately confirm a patient's name, mobile number and email address—something they believe the rewards program verification process helps with.

However, this does raise the question of trust. Kate Bower added, ‘Unfortunately, at the moment, we just have to trust what the businesses say.’

Key Takeaways

• Our Medical, a national bulk-billing GP chain, requires patients to join a rewards plan to access bulk-billed healthcare and, in doing so, hand over their personal data.
  • Our Medical allegedly told existing patients that to continue accessing the medical centres, they would need to join the rewards program or be charged a private fee to see a GP.
  • Melbourne University Law School Professor Jeannie Paterson criticised the move, saying that excluding patients who didn't want to sign up for the program could be ethically problematic.
  • Our Medical claimed that its rewards program would help deliver better quality and accessible healthcare and assured that it would never use personal data for commercial purposes or share it with third parties for financial gain.

Members, if you're ever in a situation where an organisation is trying to get access to your private information in exchange for a service (especially a free one), always take a few moments to read through their privacy policy—and if you see something that's worrying you, feel free to speak to customer service or take your business elsewhere.

In our ever-evolving digital world, whether signing up for a supermarket's loyalty program or a medical clinic's rewards system, it's important to be discerning about the information we share.

Digital privacy is something we should all be protective of, especially when it relates to medical and financial records.

So, before you visit your GP next time, take a moment to weigh up the convenience against the potential consequences. Your privacy should never come with a price tag!

What are your thoughts on this news? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
In a recent announcement, the medical chain Our Medical—a national bulk-billing GP chain with locations throughout Victoria, New South Wales, and Queensland—is promoting a range of rewards and discounts for those who sign up for their rewards program.

This includes a free flu vaccine, a $20 dental voucher, a $20 physio voucher and local offers and discounts. It sounds good, right?

Except for members to access the rewards program, they’ll need to sign up online or via an app handing over their personal data in doing so.

For existing members, Our Medical has clarified that if you want to continue seeing the doctors at their centres, the patient 'will need to join the Rewards program'.

And for those who don't wish to sign on the dotted line or hit the proverbial 'Agree' button, they'll instead be paying a private fee for their medical appointments.

View attachment 27644
A chain of GP clinics has been scrutinised for asking patients to share their data in exchange for a bulk billing appointment instead of being out of pocket. Image source: Facebook/Our Medical Gold Coast.

In a blog post, Our Medical highlighted its rewards program, emphasising its core belief in ensuring access to quality healthcare for everyone, wherever and whenever needed.

However, some experts have raised a valid concern: How does this belief align with the company's choice to charge significantly higher fees for individuals who choose not to participate in the rewards program?

This apparent contradiction has sparked a debate about the company's commitment to providing equitable healthcare access.

Melbourne University Law School Professor Jeannie Paterson disagreed with the move. When asked about Our Medical's decision, she said: ‘Some people simply don’t want their data aggregated.’

‘It’s not illegal to say that people who don’t use the app have to pay more. But I think it’s ethically problematic. A clinic that bulk bills is really important to some people. Particularly in this time of rising costs.’

Consumer group CHOICE’s Consumer Data Advocate, Kate Bower, also believes that customers of Our Medical have a right to be upset about the change the chain is demanding.

'These were patients who’d previously been bulk-billed by the clinic and were now being told that they had to sign up to the rewards program or pay a $90 out-of-pocket fee in order to see a doctor,' she told a news source.

In response, Our Medical confirmed that they indeed handle all personal information in accordance with applicable privacy and health records legislation and that their rewards program never uses personal data for commercial purposes or shares it with any third-party groups for financial gain.

On top of that, they state that no further information is captured through the rewards program than in the usual patient registration process.

The medical chain also highlighted the need to accurately confirm a patient's name, mobile number and email address—something they believe the rewards program verification process helps with.

However, this does raise the question of trust. Kate Bower added, ‘Unfortunately, at the moment, we just have to trust what the businesses say.’

Key Takeaways

• Our Medical, a national bulk-billing GP chain, requires patients to join a rewards plan to access bulk-billed healthcare and, in doing so, hand over their personal data.
  • Our Medical allegedly told existing patients that to continue accessing the medical centres, they would need to join the rewards program or be charged a private fee to see a GP.
  • Melbourne University Law School Professor Jeannie Paterson criticised the move, saying that excluding patients who didn't want to sign up for the program could be ethically problematic.
  • Our Medical claimed that its rewards program would help deliver better quality and accessible healthcare and assured that it would never use personal data for commercial purposes or share it with third parties for financial gain.

Members, if you're ever in a situation where an organisation is trying to get access to your private information in exchange for a service (especially a free one), always take a few moments to read through their privacy policy—and if you see something that's worrying you, feel free to speak to customer service or take your business elsewhere.

In our ever-evolving digital world, whether signing up for a supermarket's loyalty program or a medical clinic's rewards system, it's important to be discerning about the information we share.

Digital privacy is something we should all be protective of, especially when it relates to medical and financial records.

So, before you visit your GP next time, take a moment to weigh up the convenience against the potential consequences. Your privacy should never come with a price tag!

This is a two pronged issue. Firstly, the privacy and confidentiality of an individual's personal information is protected by relevant State legislation. The Privacy Act 1988 is nationwide and only applies to government agencies. So the medical service provider must abide by State laws.

Secondly, the application of the full consultation fee is an ethical issue and is not controlled by law. Same as a person is afforded a member's discount when they join a retailer's loyalty program for example.

Now I've bored you all, you can go back to bed!

Surely your medical practice has your details anyway. And is this any different from signing up to a supermarket or other rewards program? However, I do think the medical group is morally wrong to say if you don’t join their program you will no longer be able to be treated there or you’ll have to pay extra to be seen.

They say they need to verify my mobile phone number & email address. So, what if I don't have a mobile phone? Does that exclude me from their service? Also, I do not hand out my email address to anyone & everyone (& that includes doctors) who does not have a genuine reason for having it & I don't think my doctor needs to have my email address.
If my doctor demanded my email address then I would have to set up a 2nd address which I could conveniently never go to.

Reactions: Ricki and paulamc52
I don't have a driver's licence or a passport anymore so a 100 point check or other ID checks are a pain in the butt.

@elaine41, how does your doctor contact you if you don't read your emails and don't have a mobile phone?
Ever heard of a landline phone? For most of my life my doctor has never been able to contact me - no phone, email did not exist. We survived.

This is a two pronged issue. Firstly, the privacy and confidentiality of an individual's personal information is protected by relevant State legislation. The Privacy Act 1988 is nationwide and only applies to government agencies. So the medical service provider must abide by State laws.

Secondly, the application of the full consultation fee is an ethical issue and is not controlled by law. Same as a person is afforded a member's discount when they join a retailer's loyalty program for example.

Now I've bored you all, you can go back to bed!
I'm still in bed, I think you should be SDC business lawyer

My practice has my landline and mobile. They text me if there are abnormal results to make an appointment with my doctor. My doctor usually rings me on my landline (when it is working) to do telehealth. My chemist however, does have my email to send account statements to. I cannot see a problem with that. But to sign up for rewards to see a doctor or pay a fee, no way.

View attachment 27644

Key Takeaways

😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

View attachment 27644

Key Takeaways

I'm not sure whether this is ethical? but to me it sounds like extortion!!.

There would be no law against this I should imagine, but IMO it is morally wrong.
They sound mòre like a supermarket than a doctor's surgery, but at least the supermarket don't tell you that you can't buy any specials if you don't join their rewards program.
I would be looking for a new Drs surgery. I am more interested in a Dr concentrating on my health than about running a rewards program.

There would be no law against this I should imagine, but IMO it is morally wrong.
They sound mòre like a supermarket than a doctor's surgery, but at least the supermarket don't tell you that you can't buy any specials if you don't join their rewards program.
I would be looking for a new Drs surgery. I am more interested in a Dr concentrating on my health than about running a rewards program.
Yes, ethics is based on what is morally right or wrong, not what is legally right or wrong.

I wonder exactly what sort of personal information they want ?

Also is it actually the medical centre behind it or is there a 3rd party , that would be my main concern
Some businesses disclose to you that your "personal information may be used for marketing purposes blah blah blah".

Then again, you'll get barraged by an endless torrent of unsolicited emails, usually from businesses you've never heard of or dealt with.

I cop at least 30 of these a day. Keep unsubscribing and they come back in another form.

Your Google, Bing or Microsoft internet searches are the culprit. Google new car websites and suddenly you're swamped with ads from car retailers. Grrr....