Princes Harry and Andrew to retain their titles despite Prince Edward and Princess Anne’s royal promotion

King Charles has made a decision that's left many people surprised.

Despite persistent rumours to the contrary, the King has decided not to strip his brother Prince Andrew and son Prince Harry from their major royal roles as Counsellors of State.

Instead, Prince Edward and Princess Anne have been added to the post, expanding the options for his stand-in.

In a letter to the House of Lords, the King wrote: ‘To ensure continued efficiency of public business when I’m unavailable… I confirm that I would be most content should parliament see fit for the number of people who may be called upon to act as Counsellors of State… to be increased to include my sister and brother, the Princess Royal, and the Earl of Wessex and Forfar. Both of whom have previously undertaken this role.’

Princes Andrew and Harry aside, Queen Consort Camilla, Prince William, and Princess Beatrice are also Counsellors of State.

Screenshot_3.png
Prince Andrew (front left) and Prince Harry (back) will stay on as the King’s Counsellors of State. Credit: The Royal Family Channel

These officials are responsible for acting on behalf of the ruling monarch — in this case, King Charles — temporarily whenever the King or Queen is indisposed or abroad.

Under UK law, Counsellors of State appointees are the spouse of the ruling monarch and the next four people in the line of succession (over 21 years old).

Earlier this year there was talk of Princes Andrew and Harry being stripped of their roles considering their unique circumstances.

Prince Andrew gave up royal duties after being mired in a sex abuse scandal involving the notorious Jeffrey Epstein.

Prince Harry also stepped back from his responsibilities and relocated to the United States, where he currently lives with his family.

It is understood that since these princes are not ‘working royals’, there were concerns within the UK Parliament on whether or not they were fit to act as the King’s official representatives.

Screenshot_4.png
Princess Anne (left) and Prince Edward (right) have previously served as Counsellors of State. Credit: YouTube/@5NewsUK

Such concerns led to calls to amend the Regency Act, which is the law mandating appointments of Counsellors of State.

Stephen Benn, current Viscount Stansgate, earlier urged the House of Lords to act on changes to the law.

‘Are the Government happy to continue with a situation where the Counsels of State and regency powers may be exercised by the (Prince Andrew) or (Prince Harry), one of whom has left public life and the other of whom has left the country?’ he asked.

‘Is it not time for the Government to approach the King to see whether a sensible amendment can be made to this Act?’

Key Takeaways

• King Charles has added Prince Edward and Princess Anne as his Counsellors of State.
  • Prince Andrew and Prince Harry, earlier rumoured to be stripped of their posts, are staying on as the King's stand-ins.
  • There are concerns that the two princes are unable to perform their duties as Counsellors of State given their circumstances.
  • However, the addition of the King's brother and sister as Counsellors has addressed the problem of a small pool of potential representatives somewhat.
With the recent addition of Prince Edward and Princess Anne, more people are expected to fill in for the King when he and the Queen Consort go abroad for their coronation tour in 2023.

What is your reaction to this story? Do you think that despite two new additions to the pool of counsellors, Princes Andrew and Harry should officially be removed?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/@5NewsUK

Sponsored
I like how no one has replied to this.

Maybe a little controversial !

I definitely think Andrew should not be involved with any public engagements because of his ties with Epstein and the sexual allegations against him that every knows to be true.

Harry hasn't committed anything unlawful or broken the law.
I do feel however Harry wouldn't step in unless it was the last resort eg something happened to Charles or William

I totally agree that Andrew should be removed from the list as he has been stripped from all other Royal standings.

It is also impractical to have Harry on the list as he is out of the Country permanently. Things would have to be pretty dire in the UK for everyone else on the list to be incapacitated such that he would have to be rushed back to England to perform duties.

Despite persistent rumours to the contrary, the King has decided not to strip his brother Prince Andrew and son Prince Harry from their major royal roles as Counsellors of State.

Instead, Prince Edward and Princess Anne have been added to the post, expanding the options for his stand-in.

In a letter to the House of Lords, the King wrote: ‘To ensure continued efficiency of public business when I’m unavailable… I confirm that I would be most content should parliament see fit for the number of people who may be called upon to act as Counsellors of State… to be increased to include my sister and brother, the Princess Royal, and the Earl of Wessex and Forfar. Both of whom have previously undertaken this role.’

Princes Andrew and Harry aside, Queen Consort Camilla, Prince William, and Princess Beatrice are also Counsellors of State.

View attachment 9169
Prince Andrew (front left) and Prince Harry (back) will stay on as the King’s Counsellors of State. Credit: The Royal Family Channel

These officials are responsible for acting on behalf of the ruling monarch — in this case, King Charles — temporarily whenever the King or Queen is indisposed or abroad.

Under UK law, Counsellors of State appointees are the spouse of the ruling monarch and the next four people in the line of succession (over 21 years old).

Earlier this year there was talk of Princes Andrew and Harry being stripped of their roles considering their unique circumstances.

Prince Andrew gave up royal duties after being mired in a sex abuse scandal involving the notorious Jeffrey Epstein.

Prince Harry also stepped back from his responsibilities and relocated to the United States, where he currently lives with his family.

It is understood that since these princes are not ‘working royals’, there were concerns within the UK Parliament on whether or not they were fit to act as the King’s official representatives.

View attachment 9170
Princess Anne (left) and Prince Edward (right) have previously served as Counsellors of State. Credit: YouTube/@5NewsUK

Such concerns led to calls to amend the Regency Act, which is the law mandating appointments of Counsellors of State.

Stephen Benn, current Viscount Stansgate, earlier urged the House of Lords to act on changes to the law.

‘Are the Government happy to continue with a situation where the Counsels of State and regency powers may be exercised by the (Prince Andrew) or (Prince Harry), one of whom has left public life and the other of whom has left the country?’ he asked.

‘Is it not time for the Government to approach the King to see whether a sensible amendment can be made to this Act?’

Key Takeaways

• King Charles has added Prince Edward and Princess Anne as his Counsellors of State.
  • Prince Andrew and Prince Harry, earlier rumoured to be stripped of their posts, are staying on as the King's stand-ins.
  • There are concerns that the two princes are unable to perform their duties as Counsellors of State given their circumstances.
  • However, the addition of the King's brother and sister as Counsellors has addressed the problem of a small pool of potential representatives somewhat.
With the recent addition of Prince Edward and Princess Anne, more people are expected to fill in for the King when he and the Queen Consort go abroad for their coronation tour in 2023.

What is your reaction to this story? Do you think that despite two new additions to the pool of counsellors, Princes Andrew and Harry should officially be removed?

I am not a royalist, however, due to the circumstances of their actions. Both the house of York and Sussex should be relinquished by the current recipients.

I definitely think Andrew should not be involved with any public engagements because of his ties with Epstein and the sexual allegations against him that every knows to be true.

I do feel however Harry wouldn't step in unless it was the last resort eg something happened to Charles or William

Reactions: JayKay
I believe Prince Andrew should not be included, due to his public stance and wrong-doing.
I do think he should have been allowed to wear his uniform for his mother's funeral procession, as he earned the right to wear it, he did the service, same as Prince Harry.
Prince Harry asked to stand down, so I don't think he should be included either.

View attachment 9169

View attachment 9170

Key Takeaways

I’m fine with princess Anne and prince Edward they have been LOYAL to the monarchy but Harry and Andrew have NOT I’m 72 and have grown up knowing only one monarchy upto now can’t say I’m even happy with Charles as King because I don’t recognise Camilla as any sort of queen and I know one hundred percent I’m not on my own with these feelings and anyway how many step in do they need for goodness sake’s???

I believe Prince Andrew should not be included, due to his public stance and wrong-doing.
I do think he should have been allowed to wear his uniform for his mother's funeral procession, as he earned the right to wear it, he did the service, same as Prince Harry.
Prince Harry asked to stand down, so I don't think he should be included either.
I agree , they should have been allowed to wear their uniforms , they did earn them. They both did their part in the forces.
It was actually sad and embarrassing for them.
But the Crown is big brother

View attachment 9169

View attachment 9170

Key Takeaways

In my opinion, the King (Charles III) has made a very wise decision to keep Princes Andrew and Harry ‘on the list’. Looking to the future, if circumstances change (ie, if Prince Harry were to return to royal duties, or if both of them are forgiven for their indiscretions), then it will save the necessity to further amend the Regency Act. His decision also shows no favour, in the fine tradition of his mother (the late Queen), who also showed no favour. A good lesson for us all, no doubt. It may seem like this decision has been ‘off the cuff’, but I’m sure it has come after much thought and prayer.

View attachment 9169

View attachment 9170

Key Takeaways

I’m really not sure about the reaction from the public re Andrew! But Harry is still popular

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci

View attachment 9169

View attachment 9170

Key Takeaways

It was a sensible step for King Charles to take. Anne and Edward are loyal, hardworking members of the royal family and will do the job, when needed, superbly and without fuss. Harry has stepped away from the royals and lives in America. Andrew..well, less said the better. Good call, Charles! :)

Reactions: Ian1 and Ricci

Totally agree

I definitely do not think Harry should be Counsellor of State after what he has done and said with regards to the Royal family
so what has Harry said that is not his experience. the press sits waiting to spin a few words into a novel. do we have proof of anything other than what we read in the press. the press hate they are not in control of Harry and Megan. the press destroyed Princess Di and its doing the same to Megan. I dont know Megan but I respect her right to tells her story from her point of view and don't we all do this. Its often a case of Chinese Whispers.

so what has Harry said that is not his experience. the press sits waiting to spin a few words into a novel. do we have proof of anything other than what we read in the press. the press hate they are not in control of Harry and Megan. the press destroyed Princess Di and its doing the same to Megan. I dont know Megan but I respect her right to tells her story from her point of view and don't we all do this. Its often a case of Chinese Whispers.
Very well written totally agree with you

In my opinion, the King (Charles III) has made a very wise decision to keep Princes Andrew and Harry ‘on the list’. Looking to the future, if circumstances change (ie, if Prince Harry were to return to royal duties, or if both of them are forgiven for their indiscretions), then it will save the necessity to further amend the Regency Act. His decision also shows no favour, in the fine tradition of his mother (the late Queen), who also showed no favour. A good lesson for us all, no doubt. It may seem like this decision has been ‘off the cuff’, but I’m sure it has come after much thought and prayer.
I wouldn't count on them being called to fill in so to speak, and don't worry too much Princess Di she knew exactly what she was doing, she was a rather masterful manipulator. As long as they retain their titles of Duke and Duchess I believe the Prince and Princess titles are off the table that I believe is why Charles hasn't taken them, don't worry he's not a mug people think. Although in the matter of them losing the Sussex title, she actually can't call herself Princess Meaghan, she Princess Henry, Harry is a diminutive as is Aitch.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 9169

View attachment 9170

Key Takeaways

Both Andrew & Harry should.be exiled. They have brought shame upon their families and should no longer be able to attend any of the Royal functions or Parades.
Who else thinks this ?

Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci
Both Andrew & Harry should.be exiled. They have brought shame upon their families and should no longer be able to attend any of the Royal functions or Parades.
Who else thinks this ?
You can't compare Harry to Andrew , Andrew is scum and involved in things like child sex slavery. All Harry has done is spoke out about his life and what goes on behind close doors.

Don't think the Royal family are innocent , they are far from it..

Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci

View attachment 9169

View attachment 9170

Key Takeaways

HMMMM sounds like another job to keep up the finances of the family although they have not seen fit to be responsible heirs to an amazing heritage , ery sad the king did not use testinal fortitude to leave them where they were , maurice wildish

Reactions: Ricci