Power up your savings: Aussie state’s electrifying new relief package shocks bills down!

As we navigate the evolving landscape of household expenses, it's essential to stay informed about the latest government initiatives aimed at easing financial burdens.

Recently, a significant relief measure has been announced, promising substantial support for residents. This initiative is poised to provide much-needed assistance to households, especially amid rising living costs.

Understanding the specifics of this support program can help residents make the most of the available benefits and plan their finances more effectively. Read on to discover how this development could positively impact your household budget and what steps you need to take to access the assistance.

There's some good news on the horizon for West Australians! The WA government announced a generous cost-of-living relief package that will see households and small businesses receive significant discounts on their electricity bills.

Starting from July, all West Australian households and 90,000 small businesses will benefit from this initiative.

Households will receive $700 in energy ‘credits’, while small businesses will be allocated $725. Both will be distributed over the year in two instalments during peak usage periods in the hottest and coldest months.

compressed-shutterstock_2115510830.jpeg
Starting next month, all West Australian households and small businesses will receive discounted electricity as part of a cost-of-living relief package. Credit: Shutterstock

The initial instalment, amounting to $350 for households and $325 for small businesses, will be reflected on power bills from the upcoming July-August billing cycle.

The second instalment, matching the initial amounts, will be applied to power bills during the December-January billing cycle.

According to the WA Government's statement on Sunday, June 23, only small businesses with an annual electricity usage below 50MWh will qualify for the relief package.

This electricity credit is a joint effort by the state and commonwealth governments and marks the fourth such initiative delivered by the WA Labor Government.

Federal Treasurer Jim Chalmers emphasised the dual benefits of the package, stating, ‘The primary focus of our economic plan and our budget is to ease pressure on Western Australians and put downward pressure on inflation, and our new power bill relief does both.’

‘Just like every taxpayer is getting a tax cut, every household will now get energy bill relief under the Albanese Government from next month, with plenty of support for small businesses as well.’

For those households and small businesses not directly serviced by the state's two electricity retailers—Synergy and Horizon Power—there's no need to worry.

The WA Government announced that ‘applications for assistance are expected to open in July’, with the process facilitated through RevenueWA and the Small Business Development Corporation.

Moreover, the government has not forgotten about the most vulnerable members of the community.

Additional support is available for pensioners, veterans, and Health Care Card holders through the Energy Assistance Payment, ensuring that those who are most in need receive the help they deserve.

‘Our responsible financial management means we can invest in what matters to Western Australia without leaving behind a mountain of debt,’ WA Premier Roger Cook stated.

While Western Australian households and small businesses are set to benefit from these upcoming energy credits, they are not the only ones experiencing relief.

Similar initiatives were introduced in other parts of Australia, demonstrating a nationwide effort to mitigate rising energy costs.

For instance, Queensland residents have also seen significant government support, with a substantial electricity credit aimed at easing financial pressures.

This broader trend of energy relief measures highlights a collective move towards supporting Australians through challenging economic times.
Key Takeaways
  • All West Australian households and small businesses will receive discounted electricity as part of a cost-of-living relief package starting next month.
  • Households will get $700 in electricity credits, while eligible small businesses will receive $725, distributed in two instalments.
  • The electricity credits are jointly funded by the state and Commonwealth governments and mark the fourth credit delivered by the WA Labor Government.
  • Applications for assistance for those not with Synergy or Horizon Power will open in July, with additional support available for pensioners, veterans, and Health Care Card holders through the Energy Assistance Payment.
What are your thoughts on this initiative? What other steps could the government take to alleviate the plight of Australians amid soaring living costs? We invite you to share your insights and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Nuclear is not cheaper. Do your research with the experts, not your political party.
And who do you follow, obviously albosleazy and blackout bowen. Ask them to tell us ACTUALLY how much their pie in the sky schemes are costing. They won't, because they don't know AND DON'T CARE.

What experts? Climate change activists?

The set up cost of nuclear power is very high, but once up and going, it has little ongoing costs.
If Nuclear power is the be all and end all as Mr Dutton would have us believe how come countries like the USA and Germany are shutting down their Nuclear Power plants and investing in Wind and Solar power ?

Nuclear is not cheaper. Do your research with the experts, not your political party.
think you have a blindfold and ear muffs on about which political party is not releasing costs, Dutton has not released any costs at all while Labor are releasing their costs to any one who will listen !!

If Nuclear power is the be all and end all as Mr Dutton would have us believe how come countries like the USA and Germany are shutting down their Nuclear Power plants and investing in Wind and Solar power ?
Where do you get your info from ? Obviously the Liebor party because your statement is INCORRECT. TYPICAL lIEBOR PARTY PLOY, MAKE IT UP AND MAKE IT SOUND TRUTHFUL, Which this government will never do.

think you have a blindfold and ear muffs on about which political party is not releasing costs, Dutton has not released any costs at all while Labor are releasing their costs to any one who will listen !!
Must be releasing all their rubbish on the abc, your news outlet.

Where do you get your info from ? Obviously the Liebor party because your statement is INCORRECT. TYPICAL lIEBOR PARTY PLOY, MAKE IT UP AND MAKE IT SOUND TRUTHFUL, Which this government will never do.
Bull shit I do not follow either political party, my information comes from trusted journalists in newspapers and definitely not Facebook or any websites that are affiliated with people who do not believe in climate change. OPEN your Eyes and look at what is happening around the world instead of blaming a political party that you have no time for, makes me wonder if you have any care at all for the world we will be leaving for our children You ARE such a rusted on Supporter of the LNP that you will believe anything that they say. I prefer to trust in my own beliefs thankyou and not Peter BLOODY DUTTON the GREAT PRETENDER. who will say and promise anything to get votes. SO you Would be happy to have a Nuclear power plant backing on to your backyard Hey?

The wind doesn't blow 24/7, nor does the sun shine 24/7.

But little atoms of uranium 235 and plutonium 239 never sleep.

I determined back in 2018, it would take approximately 95% of the total land area of Germany to supply the country's power needs by employing the most efficient solar panels at the time. They won't need the petawatts of power generated because there won't be any land left for industries, commercial or residential purposes!

If our useless government could forget the wind and sun rubbish and use something that is reliable and cheaper, go Nuclear we would NOT have all these rebates that ADDS to the cost that we are running up that the labor party will not tell us how much it is going to cost.
and what do you propose to use while you wait around the 15 or so years before the first nuclear power plant could come online..?

The United States' 94 reactors generate the most nuclear energy globally, but the energy source only makes up 18 per cent of the country's overall output. So how many reactors do you think Australia would need to replace all other forms of power generation?

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...er provide cheaper,and bring down other costs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06...medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

I’m in WA so I’m happy we’re getting some of our taxes back as credits for energy bills. So far we have been managing without heat, wrapping up to keep warm at home and it’s not been too bad……the credits mean that we can have the ‘luxury’ of heating on the cold and rainy overcast days, and enjoying it…….it makes me a bit sad though that the people in other states have not been treated as well……yet….

Notice how Labor don't disclose the cost of unreliable wind and sun garbage, including the cost of the 300 offshore wind turbines and the thousands of kilometres of new transmission lines needed but they are quick to knock the cost of nuclear. (Even though they don't know what that cost is). Time to grow up and look at the real benefits. Use existing lines. Why are most G3 countries using solar and abandoning wind and solar.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
tell me while all low income earners are getting a $40 off there taxes and $36 wage rise which eqauls $76 per week and adds up to$152 per fortnight
this doubles if 2 people are working in every household which equals $304 per fortnight
HOW MUCH DO PENSIONERS GET AS THEY ARE THE LOWEST PAID AND NOW BY AN EXTRA $152 a fortnight
i see nothing once again for the elderly who paid their taxes all their lives
CAN ANYONE SEE AN INCREASE IN BENEFITS FROM THIS DISCRIMINATORY GOVT TO HELP THE ELDERLY OR THE CARERS OR THE DISABLED AND IF SO WHERE AND FOR HOW MUCH
THE LAST INCREASE WE GOT WAS %1.8 in march however the CPI HAS never been that low for years THE GOVTS HAVE BEEN LYING AND SHAFTING ALL CENTRELINC PATRONS AND THE ELDERLY THE MOST JUST LET THEM DIE IS THE GOVTS ATTITUDE FOR YEARS AND THE GOVT SHOULD INCREASE PENSIONS AT THE SAME RATE AS THE LOW-INCOME EARNERS WHICH WE DESERVE
THAT IS $153 a fortnight

And who do you follow, obviously albosleazy and blackout bowen. Ask them to tell us ACTUALLY how much their pie in the sky schemes are costing. They won't, because they don't know AND DON'T CARE.
Just because you’re a Lib (oh sorry a Noalition voter) you think you are better and more knowledgeable than anyone else. I listen to the experts and they ALL say that nuclear is more expensive and will take forever to come on line. Not to mention where the extremely dangerous waste will be stored or the excessive amount of water that is needed to keep the dangerous nuclear cool. Any answers to that? You are just playing politics.

• Haha
Reactions: Gaena
If our useless government could forget the wind and sun rubbish and use something that is reliable and cheaper, go Nuclear we would NOT have all these rebates that ADDS to the cost that we are running up that the labor party will not tell us how much it is going to cost.
WELL SAID CLIMATE CHANGE ISA BIG CON JOB

Reactions: I'm Mal
tell me while all low income earners are getting a $40 off there taxes and $36 wage rise which eqauls $76 per week and adds up to$152 per fortnight
this doubles if 2 people are working in every household which equals $304 per fortnight
HOW MUCH DO PENSIONERS GET AS THEY ARE THE LOWEST PAID AND NOW BY AN EXTRA $152 a fortnight
i see nothing once again for the elderly who paid their taxes all their lives
CAN ANYONE SEE AN INCREASE IN BENEFITS FROM THIS DISCRIMINATORY GOVT TO HELP THE ELDERLY OR THE CARERS OR THE DISABLED AND IF SO WHERE AND FOR HOW MUCH
THE LAST INCREASE WE GOT WAS %1.8 in march however the CPI HAS never been that low for years THE GOVTS HAVE BEEN LYING AND SHAFTING ALL CENTRELINC PATRONS AND THE ELDERLY THE MOST JUST LET THEM DIE IS THE GOVTS ATTITUDE FOR YEARS AND THE GOVT SHOULD INCREASE PENSIONS AT THE SAME RATE AS THE LOW-INCOME EARNERS WHICH WE DESERVE
THAT IS $153 a fortnight
Pensioners get an increase twice a year every year. I can only guess you would like to live like the rich and famous and you are just envious. And before you go off half cocked again, yes I am a pensioner as well.

• Angry
Reactions: I'm Mal and Gaena
If l don't use the full amount in each BILLING CYCLE is the W.A. Govt going to take the excess back or let me 'bathe in their generosity'?
The amount that the WA Government and the Federal Government are giving everyone is a credit on your electricity account it will stay on your account until it has been used in your scheduled bills, once the credit is gone you will be paying your own bills as they come in, simple really and the same as the credit applied to everyones electricity account by the WA government last year.

Reactions: Ezzy
there is just no way of pleasing every one, we are all being given credit on our electricity accounts the amount of credit being given depends on which state we live in. Queensland is being given a $1300.00 credit in total $1000.00 from their state government and $300.00 from the federal government in WA it is $400.00 from the state government and the same $300.00 from the federal government but some people can only turn this into a complaint about everything wrong that they think that the current government is doing, has everyone forgotten how to be thankful that they are getting some assistance, even if they think that they are entitled to a lot more, there is that word entitled, the one we usually give to members of younger generations that think the world owes them a living. Suck it up buttercup, no amount of whinging and"Poor me" will change anything.