Since the Queen's passing, do you think Australia should become a republic?

• Yes

Votes: 35 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 139 72.0%
  • I'm not sure - I want to wait and see how King Charles does

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • I'm not fussed either way

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters
SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Poll: Do you think Australia should become a republic?

I know we're only a couple of weeks into the reign of King Charles, but with the Queen's passing, do you think Australia should stay in the Commonwealth or become a Republic?

Reactions: SussieQ
AustralIa will eventually become a Republic but it is who chooses our Head of State & changes to the Constitution which need to be determined by ALL. I am perfectly sure that there is already a short list for our first “President” . The ARM is looking just for the YES mandate. Then they & their politician buddies & rich donators will DECIDE everything else! I, personally could not say YES to that level of control…

I know we're only a couple of weeks into the reign of King Charles, but with the Queen's passing, do you think Australia should stay in the Commonwealth or become a Republic?
Are we so immature that we cannot appoint our own Head of State? If the Brits want Charles, fine. But why should we have this person imposed on us? What a joke that Parliamentarians swear allegiance to the King of England! They should be swearing allegiance to the people of Australia. You know. The people who send them to the seats of government and who pay their wages and other perks.

there has already been a few referendums about becoming a republic and they have all been "knocked on the head", it;s the "all for me" attitude of the powers that be that rule and regulate this country that needs to change

My interpretation of the Australia Act of 1986, is that the Monarch of the United Kingdom has absolutely NO power over the Australian Government/s and is purely a "Picture on the Wall".
It would be better if the Australian public selected our own Australian born "Head of State", completely independent of any influence from Australian Parliaments and Business.

I am not fussed having Prince Charles and Camilla as King and consort. Hoever, It seems that only rich people could run to be President, and the example set in America is not a good example. I think a President may have too much power. A lot of countries thqat are independent, are not having such a good time. Does Australia pay anything for them to be King and Consort. It seems to me we sould be better off with less politicians, eg. Do away with the states. We only need Eastern Australia and Western Australia. With zoom available and fast transport we don't need this many states anymore. Who would have power over a President?

I believe we are a long way from becoming a republic. Maybe even further than we were when the Queen was alive.
Realistically, Charles' reign won't be long term.
I believe a lot of people would be looking forward to when William becomes King and more so, when Catherine becomes his Queen.

a big no at this time as we look at all the freedom we as veterens have fought for be eroded by what has happened to australia after the same sex marriage act was voted in (and i'm not a homophobe) i believe eery one has a right to thier own decisions and concequence from those decisions

With all the strife in the world at present, it would not be in Australia's best interests to sever ties with a country more powerful than us who would be obliged to come to our defence should we be targeted. It is not about whether we like King Charles III. It is about preserving our country's security by maintaining ties with long-term allies. We could have a mutual defence treaty, as we do with the US, but treaties come with sometimes onerous obligations that are not part of our membership of the Commonwealth. Our politicians need to put the military security of our nation before their own opinions and ambitions.

I'm happy to add to the YES vote. I grew up in a working class slum, started work laying railway lines at 15, went profoundly deaf in my 20s and still managed to end up with multiple qualifications, my own consulting company and work as a senior executive across government, private sector and charities. And I'm supposed to be impressed by and loyal to a twit who happened to be born into a particular family, has never worked in his life, calls his valet to pour him a glass of water, and who stars in (so far) 8 hilarious "Charles having a snit" videos I'm collecting. Further, our current system pays a huge salary to a figurehead Governor General which then gets paid for life after he (very few shes) retires and doesn't question appointing a PM to be multiple Ministers. If he's just a rubber stamp, can we please just replace him with a rubber stamp and spend the money elsewhere?

I'm happy to add to the YES vote. I grew up in a working class slum, started work laying railway lines at 15, went profoundly deaf in my 20s and still managed to end up with multiple qualifications, my own consulting company and work as a senior executive across government, private sector and charities. And I'm supposed to be impressed by and loyal to a twit who happened to be born into a particular family, has never worked in his life, calls his valet to pour him a glass of water, and who stars in (so far) 8 hilarious "Charles having a snit" videos I'm collecting. Further, our current system pays a huge salary to a figurehead Governor General which then gets paid for life after he (very few shes) retires and doesn't question appointing a PM to be multiple Ministers. If he's just a rubber stamp, can we please just replace him with a rubber stamp and spend the money elsewhere?
🤣Love to see your Charles having a snit videos. i dont forget he wanted to be Camilla's tampon.

I for one am all for a Republic but only because Charles is on the throne. He is a twat. Had Prince William been the the to take of from Queen Elizabeth then I would gladly say we stay under the protection of the Commonwealth but as that didn't happen, then I'm all for getting rid of the monarchy.

• Angry
Reactions: Nardia
If the USA is an example of a republic then I definitely don't want to go down that path.
Secondly if we do bite the bullet and become a republic I really dont trust todays politicians to write a whole new constitution, which would be a must. Too many o them are already corrupt and lining their own pockets.

The model of any potential Republic is as important as whether to become a Republic or not. One suggestion I have heard which I think has merit is that, given that a head of state is purely a figurehead role with very little power, instead of a 'President' we appoint an respected Indigenous person as a 'National Elder'. Fully realise that many will not agree.

Reactions: judlesferris