Plans to roll out new digital IDs push forward—whether we like it or not

A nationally-regulated digital identification platform could be on its way for Australians as soon as this time next year.

But is this a good thing? And how does it impact us?

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher revealed at the Australian Financial Review’s Government Services Summit that the system would allow Australians to compile their ID forms–such as driver's licences, Medicare cards or proof of age cards–into a platform to be used by external organisations to verify a person's identity.

shutterstock_1635017932 (1).jpg
Is going digital the best thing for Australia? Image Credit: Shutterstock

This will mean that by mid-2024, Australians will possibly go completely digital when verifying their identity with external organisations like Centrelink, financial institutions, and travel companies.

’That's a pretty tight timeframe, so I don't want to be held to that. But that's kind of my roadmap,’ Gallagher said.

She also noted that the scheme would allow existing state and territory apps to be ‘interoperable’ with the program, meaning it would all work together.

‘We've got the system. It's just not regulated and not in a shape I think that will allow us to drive it forward and give the interoperability and the economy-wide benefits that come from having a national system, but we're very committed to it,’ said Gallagher.

While the scheme has already garnered some outcry from critics concerned about cybersecurity and data retention, Gallagher defended the scheme saying it was proposed to give Australians more control over their information.

‘There is already pushback,’ she admitted.

‘We've seen this, particularly coming out of COVID-19, you know, theories, conspiracy theories about what the government's trying to do.’

'It is about securing your information and protecting your information, and ensuring that you know when that information is shared, it’s done under a regulated system,' she said.

Australia Post, Mastercard, and Australian Payments Plus have already implemented digital verification systems.

But with cyberattacks on the rise in Australia, is this something we should be getting excited about or cautious of?

Just this week, we heard reports of the ATOs verification system falling short. Security loopholes led to over half a billion dollars being stolen from taxpayers. You can read more about that story here.

In response to this security loophole, member @ToniaKisliakov said: ‘These scams are because [Australian governments] don't care enough about taxpayers!’

While member @Shane/# commented: ‘Technology isn't it grand "NOT".’

Key Takeaways

• Aussies could have a national digital ID within the next 12 months, which will mean licences, Medicare cards, and other forms to be verified online.
  • Finance Minister Katy Gallagher announced the digital ID plan, suggesting that many states are already implementing digital services to access ID forms.
  • The digital ID will not be a new card or number but has been described as compiling existing ID forms into one system in a 'secure, voluntary and efficient way'.
  • There are concerns over cybersecurity and data retention put forth by critics related to the digital ID's introduction. However, Gallagher asserts it will give Australians control over their own information.
So, how will we know whether this new system is truly safe? Only time will tell…

Do you think some things should remain as they are, like Medicare cards and licences? As the adage goes, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’

Let us know what you think in the comments below. In the meantime, members, please stay alert to cybersecurity risks if you have to keep your ID information on a digital platform. And if you happen to see something suspicious, be sure to report it.

Sponsored
NO WAY! We will be at the mercy of scammers, 1000% worse than at present! We are entitled to have a choice, not be bulldozed into what the government wants!

Reactions: Marj53 and Rob44
My mobile phone is just that For making phone calls if I have any reason to call someone while out driving. I do not use it for any other purpose. It is never turned on unless I am going to use it. Yet Telstra has made the money I pay for the connection to be used on data etc a thing I do not use as I use a computer in my home if I need to do anything on the Internet. I have thought at times to just stop having a mobile phone but stop because I just may need it. Looking at my phone usage I have used only 8 minutes in six months
I am not in favour of this new idea and there must still people who do not even have a mobile phone.

A nationally-regulated digital identification platform could be on its way for Australians as soon as this time next year.

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher revealed at the Australian Financial Review’s Government Services Summit that the system would allow Australians to compile their ID forms–such as driver's licences, Medicare cards or proof of age cards–into a platform to be used by external organisations to verify a person's identity.

View attachment 26051

This will mean that by mid-2024, Australians will possibly go completely digital when verifying their identity with external organisations like Centrelink, financial institutions, and travel companies.

’That's a pretty tight timeframe, so I don't want to be held to that. But that's kind of my roadmap,’ Gallagher said.

She also noted that the scheme would allow existing state and territory apps to be ‘interoperable’ with the program, meaning it would all work together.

‘We've got the system. It's just not regulated and not in a shape I think that will allow us to drive it forward and give the interoperability and the economy-wide benefits that come from having a national system, but we're very committed to it,’ said Gallagher.

While the scheme has already garnered some outcry from critics concerned about cybersecurity and data retention, Gallagher defended the scheme saying it was proposed to give Australians more control over their information.

‘We've seen this, particularly coming out of COVID-19, you know, theories, conspiracy theories about what the government's trying to do.’

'It is about securing your information and protecting your information, and ensuring that you know when that information is shared, it’s done under a regulated system,' she said.

Australia Post, Mastercard, and Australian Payments Plus have already implemented digital verification systems.

But with cyberattacks on the rise in Australia, is this something we should be getting excited about or cautious of?

Just this week, we heard reports of the ATOs verification system falling short. Security loopholes led to over half a billion dollars being stolen from taxpayers. You can read more about that story here.

In response to this security loophole, member @ToniaKisliakov said: ‘These scams are because [Australian governments] don't care enough about taxpayers!’

Key Takeaways

• Aussies could have a national digital ID within the next 12 months, which will mean licences, Medicare cards, and other forms to be verified online.
  • Finance Minister Katy Gallagher announced the digital ID plan, suggesting that many states are already implementing digital services to access ID forms.
  • The digital ID will not be a new card or number but has been described as compiling existing ID forms into one system in a 'secure, voluntary and efficient way'.
  • There are concerns over cybersecurity and data retention put forth by critics related to the digital ID's introduction. However, Gallagher asserts it will give Australians control over their own information.
So, how will we know whether this new system is truly safe? Only time will tell…

Do you think some things should remain as they are, like Medicare cards and licences? As the adage goes, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’

Let us know what you think in the comments below. In the meantime, members, please stay alert to cybersecurity risks if you have to keep your ID information on a digital platform. And if you happen to see something suspicious, be sure to report it.
and what happens if you dont have a smart phone

Reply to my littletibbies.
Australia was originally inhabited by Papuans or negrites .Mungo man was here before the aboriginal and were no relation to Mungo man ,so for them to say they are the owners is b/s. It never was or always will be their land. You can get the full history of Australia from D.J.Pinwell ,1Gibson street, Tingoora ,Qld ph 07 41685471 or free emailcopy : [email protected].
This is well researched .

Reactions: SandyM and Rob44
Everything is about world control, but we can't say that or we are conspiracy theorists.
As far as governments are concerned we are just supposed to stick our heads in the sand and keep our mouths shut.
Bit by little bit they are eroding our rights.
A farmer in my area just recently bought a new large shed for his property but is not allowed to erect it, ON HIS OWN FARM, because of these ridiculous new indigenous land rights they have passed here in WA, all the while telling farmers it would not affect them. All governments do is lie to us
God help us all if the Voice gets up
In Qld they are already stopping campers in certain areas near rivers, intend to make us whities pay to go to beaches, rivers to fish, because it's THEIR land.
Albo won't tell us what it will entail and also lies to us
He said it was not about treaty and reparation, but he also said he would follow the Statement of the Heart from Uluru, and this clearly states treaty and reparation (compensation).
Don't they think the billions paid out yearly from the taxpayers money is enough compensation.
We all live in this country and need to learn to live together, racial discrimination works both ways, but there doesn't seem to be any laws against indigenous people making racial taunts to white people.
The "Voice" . You said it. Just check what the Treaty of Waitangi, NZ did for New Zealand. The Voice is simply part of a smash'n'grab for anything produced or built by non-Aboriginals. There are plenty of minorities in Australia who don't have the privilige of a separate "voice".

Reactions: SandyM
  • There are concerns over cybersecurity and data retention put forth by critics related to the digital ID's introduction. However, Gallagher asserts it will give Australians control over their own information. Bullshit If enough people don't like it you can stop it
Make it clear to your ALP MP that he/she will be looking for a new job if this goes ahead. Yes, I know that that LNP is useless, but........so is the ALP from the point of organising a decent public health system and other essential "social good" systems.

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 26051

Key Takeaways

Yep, here we go, The Great Reset! More Power to the Almighty's and more control. What a farce the world has fallen for...

Reactions: SandyM
You don't exist.
You don't get access to health, you can't withdraw your money from your bank, and your credit card will be unauthorised until you do... You also might be placed into one of those many COVID camps because you would be deemed a conspiracy theorist :)

Reactions: Leenie and SandyM

View attachment 26051

Key Takeaways

Give her the damn sack! Digital ID's would be a damn hackers dream.
Who are they going to share the info with and how much of it? What if you don't want it shared?
It should be up to the individual person not some pollie or bureaucrat.
STUFF THEM!!! I don't want this kind of info online.
Their system is only as good as those who designed/wrote/made it and there's always a hacker who will put in the time to hack it. NO FRI##ING THANKS!

Reply to my littletibbies.
Australia was originally inhabited by Papuans or negrites .Mungo man was here before the aboriginal and were no relation to Mungo man ,so for them to say they are the owners is b/s. It never was or always will be their land. You can get the full history of Australia from D.J.Pinwell ,1Gibson street, Tingoora ,Qld ph 07 41685471 or free emailcopy : [email protected].
This is well researched .
Thanks for this Leenie, I will look it up
My son has been telling me this for years, must admit to my shame I used to think he was a conspiracy theorist.
Since moving to a country town and living amongst these problems I have my eyes wide open.
Unfortunately there are many people who will vote without any information about what they are voting for, because it makes them feel "good".
Bet they won't feel so good when they discover what they have actually voted for.
Do your research folks, why would you believe Albo, All pollies lie, to get themselves in power and then to hell with the people. Still waiting for my electricity bill to decrease by $275 , still going up as far as I can see.

made in china sheeps will do as they are told of the pollies say its a good idea run like hell.Latest good idea was the covid injections and boosters that s working well all my siblings all jabbed all having health problems and my younger sister has ashes spread in the ocean as a result very impressive.The conspiracy people are having a good time suggest checking government websites re side effects and increases in fatalities.Do your own research and ignore the media .Before the pile on about being selfish at 80 I do not give a shit what people think my decision not yours your decision nit mine.

Reactions: Leenie
Hi my littletibbies forgot to mention the name “The Voice -A Cultivated Crisis .

Reactions: Rob44

View attachment 26051

Key Takeaways

Ok let me start by saying that I would love to be paid compensation for doing the job of government staff. The apps being maintained by us mere citizens, means the previous staff doing it are no longer required and will lose their jobs. If we like it or not the automation and interoperability will come and stay. I dread to think what the world will be like in 50 years. We should however have our scam alert antennas always on and create a password variation to be safe.

Reactions: Marj53