Plans to roll out new digital IDs push forward—whether we like it or not

A nationally-regulated digital identification platform could be on its way for Australians as soon as this time next year.

But is this a good thing? And how does it impact us?

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher revealed at the Australian Financial Review’s Government Services Summit that the system would allow Australians to compile their ID forms–such as driver's licences, Medicare cards or proof of age cards–into a platform to be used by external organisations to verify a person's identity.

shutterstock_1635017932 (1).jpg
Is going digital the best thing for Australia? Image Credit: Shutterstock

This will mean that by mid-2024, Australians will possibly go completely digital when verifying their identity with external organisations like Centrelink, financial institutions, and travel companies.

’That's a pretty tight timeframe, so I don't want to be held to that. But that's kind of my roadmap,’ Gallagher said.

She also noted that the scheme would allow existing state and territory apps to be ‘interoperable’ with the program, meaning it would all work together.

‘We've got the system. It's just not regulated and not in a shape I think that will allow us to drive it forward and give the interoperability and the economy-wide benefits that come from having a national system, but we're very committed to it,’ said Gallagher.

While the scheme has already garnered some outcry from critics concerned about cybersecurity and data retention, Gallagher defended the scheme saying it was proposed to give Australians more control over their information.

‘There is already pushback,’ she admitted.

‘We've seen this, particularly coming out of COVID-19, you know, theories, conspiracy theories about what the government's trying to do.’

'It is about securing your information and protecting your information, and ensuring that you know when that information is shared, it’s done under a regulated system,' she said.

Australia Post, Mastercard, and Australian Payments Plus have already implemented digital verification systems.

But with cyberattacks on the rise in Australia, is this something we should be getting excited about or cautious of?

Just this week, we heard reports of the ATOs verification system falling short. Security loopholes led to over half a billion dollars being stolen from taxpayers. You can read more about that story here.

In response to this security loophole, member @ToniaKisliakov said: ‘These scams are because [Australian governments] don't care enough about taxpayers!’

While member @Shane/# commented: ‘Technology isn't it grand "NOT".’

Key Takeaways

• Aussies could have a national digital ID within the next 12 months, which will mean licences, Medicare cards, and other forms to be verified online.
  • Finance Minister Katy Gallagher announced the digital ID plan, suggesting that many states are already implementing digital services to access ID forms.
  • The digital ID will not be a new card or number but has been described as compiling existing ID forms into one system in a 'secure, voluntary and efficient way'.
  • There are concerns over cybersecurity and data retention put forth by critics related to the digital ID's introduction. However, Gallagher asserts it will give Australians control over their own information.
So, how will we know whether this new system is truly safe? Only time will tell…

Do you think some things should remain as they are, like Medicare cards and licences? As the adage goes, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’

Let us know what you think in the comments below. In the meantime, members, please stay alert to cybersecurity risks if you have to keep your ID information on a digital platform. And if you happen to see something suspicious, be sure to report it.

Sponsored
Not in favour my phone have been stolen few times everything was hacked including my email can't get in at all.

Imagine all that info on your phone hacked.

I think leaving ourself wide open.

Also hacking has become so easy that big companies been hacked....
Not in favour my phone have been stolen few times everything was hacked including my email can't get in at all.

Imagine all that info on your phone hacked.

I think leaving ourself wide open.

Also hacking has become so easy that big companies been hacked....
Perhaps you can have important apps and emails in a Smartwatch and the rest in your iPhone ?

Is anyone else fed up with constantly being forced to rely on computers more and more while we see more and more data breeches? I have a phone for phone calls, not so I have a computer in my pocket, and I am not alone in this. I understand that this is the 21st century and the computer, when working properly, can be a great tool, but if the power goes out, they don't work, if the internet is out, they don't work, as quick as someone creates a program to protect my data, hackers find a way around it. Identity theft is higher now than it was when it was all on paper, held in an office unaffected by power outages or internet outages. Some say...but it can all be backed up onto a cloud, so it's still safe even though it's not on paper. But cloud storage can still be hacked. I have had someone access both my bank and Centrelink accounts electronically, Had they had to go into those institution and deal with people face-to-face, it would not have happened. STOP TAKING AWAY OUR RIGHTS TO SUIT THE NEEDS OF COMPANIES TO SIMPLY DOWNSIZE THEIR WORKFORCE.

What about those who don't own a smart phone and don't have the finances or the revenue to buy one?
Are they just going to vanish into obviation and be non existent citizens of Australia. WTAF!!

Reactions: Marj53
Perhaps you can have important apps and emails in a Smartwatch and the rest in your iPhone ?
Why should I buy a Smartwatch or any other digital crap to make some company rich so that government can track my every transaction? I didn't need such digital crap before 1990 so why do I need it now?

A nationally-regulated digital identification platform could be on its way for Australians as soon as this time next year.

But is this a good thing? And how does it impact us?

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher revealed at the Australian Financial Review’s Government Services Summit that the system would allow Australians to compile their ID forms–such as driver's licences, Medicare cards or proof of age cards–into a platform to be used by external organisations to verify a person's identity.

View attachment 26051
Is going digital the best thing for Australia? Image Credit: Shutterstock

This will mean that by mid-2024, Australians will possibly go completely digital when verifying their identity with external organisations like Centrelink, financial institutions, and travel companies.

’That's a pretty tight timeframe, so I don't want to be held to that. But that's kind of my roadmap,’ Gallagher said.

She also noted that the scheme would allow existing state and territory apps to be ‘interoperable’ with the program, meaning it would all work together.

‘We've got the system. It's just not regulated and not in a shape I think that will allow us to drive it forward and give the interoperability and the economy-wide benefits that come from having a national system, but we're very committed to it,’ said Gallagher.

While the scheme has already garnered some outcry from critics concerned about cybersecurity and data retention, Gallagher defended the scheme saying it was proposed to give Australians more control over their information.

‘There is already pushback,’ she admitted.

‘We've seen this, particularly coming out of COVID-19, you know, theories, conspiracy theories about what the government's trying to do.’

'It is about securing your information and protecting your information, and ensuring that you know when that information is shared, it’s done under a regulated system,' she said.

Australia Post, Mastercard, and Australian Payments Plus have already implemented digital verification systems.

But with cyberattacks on the rise in Australia, is this something we should be getting excited about or cautious of?

Just this week, we heard reports of the ATOs verification system falling short. Security loopholes led to over half a billion dollars being stolen from taxpayers. You can read more about that story here.

In response to this security loophole, member @ToniaKisliakov said: ‘These scams are because [Australian governments] don't care enough about taxpayers!’

While member @Shane/# commented: ‘Technology isn't it grand "NOT".’

Key Takeaways

• Aussies could have a national digital ID within the next 12 months, which will mean licences, Medicare cards, and other forms to be verified online.
  • Finance Minister Katy Gallagher announced the digital ID plan, suggesting that many states are already implementing digital services to access ID forms.
  • The digital ID will not be a new card or number but has been described as compiling existing ID forms into one system in a 'secure, voluntary and efficient way'.
  • There are concerns over cybersecurity and data retention put forth by critics related to the digital ID's introduction. However, Gallagher asserts it will give Australians control over their own information.
So, how will we know whether this new system is truly safe? Only time will tell…

Do you think some things should remain as they are, like Medicare cards and licences? As the adage goes, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’

Let us know what you think in the comments below. In the meantime, members, please stay alert to cybersecurity risks if you have to keep your ID information on a digital platform. And if you happen to see something suspicious, be sure to report it.
I thought this was already a thing? I've applied for jobs, etc & digitally proven identity (Vic license, etc) Stop the world...i want to get off! Slowly we are destroying it in so many ways! If we need 4 jobs per household to survive now, how are we gonna stay fed, clothed & bills paid in say 10 or even 5yrs time. The nursing homes, hospitals etc wont be able to cope with all the young mental health/dementia patients, honestly! We seem to be destroying ourselves piece by piece!

Why should I buy a Smartwatch or any other digital crap to make some company rich so that government can track my every transaction? I didn't need such digital crap before 1990 so why do I need it now?
Of course it is your choice. My elderly uncle in the US is of the same opinion as you and keeps his cash hidden in the house - and this is no chicken feed. The only difference is, that he has a gun just in case and seldom goes out. :D

no, nope, nada, nein, nyet, not even a hope, for this little black duck.1690773634704.png apparently all the black ducks are hiding.

Reactions: Tamaya
What happens if you don't have a phone?????
You may need to have a mobile, rather than a regular home phone, and have Centrelink app and your bank app at least. Or see them in person (taxi, bus or own petrol and parking costs). Alternatively live in the forest in a tent, grow your own veggie pad and ensure you have excellent health and don’t need doctors. Just wondering if Centrelink will pay you fortnightly in cash ? The simplicity of life which will never return.

Reactions: IAN3005
You may need to have a mobile, rather than a regular home phone, and have Centrelink app and your bank app at least. Or see them in person (taxi, bus or own petrol and parking costs). Alternatively live in the forest in a tent, grow your own veggie pad and ensure you have excellent health and don’t need doctors. Just wondering if Centrelink will pay you fortnightly in cash ? The simplicity of life which will never return.
No..... if it is not available on PC then I don't worry about it.