Pharmacies to charge patients for once-free medical services amidst Labor’s prescription dispensing changes

Pharmacies will soon begin charging customers for some services that have previously been offered for free—such as blood pressure checks, delivery of medication, and wound care.

This is the latest development in the wake of the introduction of the federal government’s 60-day dispensing policy, which will see patients obtain a 60-day supply of their prescriptions for the same price as a 30-day script from September 1st.

The 2023 CommBank Pharmacy Insights report reveals that due to the impact of the new delivery scheme, around four out of five pharmacies are planning to introduce charges for certain services.

The report also indicated that about 90 per cent of pharmacies anticipate a significant decrease of up to one-third in their revenue.

This worrisome trend is further highlighted by the Community Pharmacy Barometer Index, which shows a sharp decline in confidence within the pharmacy sector.

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 1.27.20 PM.png
Pharmacies will soon begin to charge Aussies for previously free medical services, including blood pressure checks and medication deliveries. Credit: Unsplash.

Previously reaching its highest point in a decade, the index has dropped drastically. This decline occurred shortly after the government implemented its new policy.

Community pharmacies are concerned about the impact of the dispensing scheme, as 72 per cent of them anticipate a huge reduction in profits. According to a government report, pharmacies nationwide are projected to experience an annual loss of nearly $160,000 each due to the program.

Albert Naffah, Chief of CommBank Health, pointed out that this situation is compelling pharmacies to reevaluate the financial sustainability of their businesses. Many pharmacies are being forced to reconsider the financial viability of their business.

‘Many are considering whether keeping their workforce and opening hours intact is financially viable, while others are still grappling with shortages,' he said.

Quinn On, a pharmacy owner from Southwest Sydney, gave some insight into how pharmacies are potentially preparing to tackle the financial losses caused by the dispensing scheme.

'Many pharmacies do free deliveries of medication for their regulars and elderly patients, and that won’t happen anymore after 60-day dispensing. We are having lots of meetings about how we can mitigate the impact of 60-day dispensing. We’re doing everything we can.’

Mr On has made changes to the services offered at the pharmacy. Previously, wound dressing was provided for free, but now it will come with a cost. Additionally, there will be a charge of $10 to $15 for blood pressure checks.

CommBank Pharmacy Insights also mentions that businesses in the pharmacy sector are motivated to provide additional services for patient care to increase their revenue.

The expected decline in profits has prompted various strategic responses from pharmacies. One significant growth opportunity identified was expanding professional services. Many pharmacies are also considering assessing their labour costs, which has led to discussions about potential staff reductions.

In this regard, the report says that 62 per cent of pharmacies are contemplating a decrease in the number of assistants, while 43.5 per cent are considering a similar reduction in employed pharmacists. Additionally, 48.1 per cent of pharmacies are exploring the possibility of reducing their opening hours.

Key Takeaways

• Pharmacies and chemists across Australia will begin to charge for previously free medical services in response to Labor's new prescription dispensing policy.
  • The policy, which starts on 1 September, will allow patients to receive 60 days' worth of prescriptions for the cost of their current 30-day scripts, which could lead to decreased profits for pharmacies.
  • Following the policy introduction, confidence in the pharmacy sector has dipped to its lowest in a decade, according to the UTS Community Pharmacy Barometer Index.
  • To counter this impact, pharmacies consider assessing their labour costs, leading to discussions about potential staff reductions.

For many of us, the news of these changes comes as a shock. We are used to being able to pop down to our local pharmacy and get various free services when we need them, so hearing that this may no longer be an option is jarring.

In the meantime, staying updated on government announcements or alterations in medical fees or services is crucial. If you're worried about medication expenses or other concerns, don't hesitate to discuss them with your local pharmacist. They'll be more than willing to assist you.

Rest assured, we at the SDC are committed to keeping you well-informed about these changes and other significant developments. So stay tuned for updates!

What are your thoughts on this, members? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Pharmacist's wolf 🐺 in sheep's 🐑 clothing money 💰 over venerable customers bloody parasites double scripts means I see my doctor less for my medication prescriptions at $80 a visit I'm happy because I'm saving that money 💰 which can go to a bill or food Pharmacist are going to become scumbag thieves 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
No they not “scumbag thieves”. Theyythe same as any business whose viability’s threatened by a Government that doesn’t have a business.or Economic brain between them all. So they have to lookat their business see where they can improve their bottom line. No business these days provides free services, so Pharmacies are just going to be run like a business instead of an arm of Community Services. Unfortunately we the Public will be hit in the hip pocket again as a result of this Government not having the ability to understand the results of their “bright ideas that will sound good to Voters”.

Reactions: Leenie
I don't know how they can sort out enough pills for 60 days? I have quite a few now which are supposed to be 30 days but I end up going to the chemist at all different times depending on the dose and when they run out. 60 days will probably be the same?

And with blood pressure. I've got a really good Omron blood pressure machine, which I've had a few years now, that links to an Omron app on my phone and gives me loads of statistics about my blood pressure. The only other time I have a different blood pressure reading is if my doctor does it when I see him. I've never actually paid for one anywhere.

No they not “scumbag thieves”. Theyythe same as any business whose viability’s threatened by a Government that doesn’t have a business.or Economic brain between them all. So they have to lookat their business see where they can improve their bottom line. No business these days provides free services, so Pharmacies are just going to be run like a business instead of an arm of Community Services. Unfortunately we the Public will be hit in the hip pocket again as a result of this Government not having the ability to understand the results of their “bright ideas that will sound good to Voters”.
Well obviously anything that saves pensioners money sounds like a good idea to voters, because it is.
As far as pharmacies being an arm of Community Service, they are, and always have been, first and foremost, a business.
They are not the first businesses to have to restructure, it happens all the time, due to changes made by government.
Many businesses closed down when employer pays superannuation was bought in, just couldn't carry the extra cost. I didn't hear too many people carrying on about that, it wasn't them paying, they were the ones benefitting
If the pensioners benefit from this, well the pharmacists I guess will just have to cop it, like all businesses in the past.
It's the way it works unfortunately.
I must admit I can never understand people opening a chemist shop, or for that matter, any shop when the area is already more than catered for.
Too many chemist shops in some areas .

I
Well obviously anything that saves pensioners money sounds like a good idea to voters, because it is.
As far as pharmacies being an arm of Community Service, they are, and always have been, first and foremost, a business.
They are not the first businesses to have to restructure, it happens all the time, due to changes made by government.
Many businesses closed down when employer pays superannuation was bought in, just couldn't carry the extra cost. I didn't hear too many people carrying on about that, it wasn't them paying, they were the ones benefitting
If the pensioners benefit from this, well the pharmacists I guess will just have to cop it, like all businesses in the past.
I must admit I can never understand people opening a chemist shop, or for that matter, any shop when the area is already more than catered for.

Competition is good it helps keep prices down.

I don't know how they can sort out enough pills for 60 days? I have quite a few now which are supposed to be 30 days but I end up going to the chemist at all different times depending on the dose and when they run out. 60 days will probably be the same?

And with blood pressure. I've got a really good Omron blood pressure machine, which I've had a few years now, that links to an Omron app on my phone and gives me loads of statistics about my blood pressure. The only other time I have a different blood pressure reading is if my doctor does it when I see him. I've never actually paid for one anywhere.
Me either

Reactions: freedy50
I have an Omron monitor at the insistence of my GP due to a need for me to do regular checks. The best thing was that when l needed this it was on special. Like another member here l claimed this back from HBF.

l was wondering. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT are going to do us & pharmacists a big favour with scripts requiring pharmacies to consider drastic charges, are they also going to make it possible for people to claim fees paid for those services from MEDICARE or another agency?

Pharmacies will soon begin charging customers for some services that have previously been offered for free—such as blood pressure checks, delivery of medication, and wound care.

This is the latest development in the wake of the introduction of the federal government’s 60-day dispensing policy, which will see patients obtain a 60-day supply of their prescriptions for the same price as a 30-day script from September 1st.

The 2023 CommBank Pharmacy Insights report reveals that due to the impact of the new delivery scheme, around four out of five pharmacies are planning to introduce charges for certain services.

The report also indicated that about 90 per cent of pharmacies anticipate a significant decrease of up to one-third in their revenue.

This worrisome trend is further highlighted by the Community Pharmacy Barometer Index, which shows a sharp decline in confidence within the pharmacy sector.

View attachment 27747
Pharmacies will soon begin to charge Aussies for previously free medical services, including blood pressure checks and medication deliveries. Credit: Unsplash.

Previously reaching its highest point in a decade, the index has dropped drastically. This decline occurred shortly after the government implemented its new policy.

Community pharmacies are concerned about the impact of the dispensing scheme, as 72 per cent of them anticipate a huge reduction in profits. According to a government report, pharmacies nationwide are projected to experience an annual loss of nearly $160,000 each due to the program.

Albert Naffah, Chief of CommBank Health, pointed out that this situation is compelling pharmacies to reevaluate the financial sustainability of their businesses. Many pharmacies are being forced to reconsider the financial viability of their business.

‘Many are considering whether keeping their workforce and opening hours intact is financially viable, while others are still grappling with shortages,' he said.

Quinn On, a pharmacy owner from Southwest Sydney, gave some insight into how pharmacies are potentially preparing to tackle the financial losses caused by the dispensing scheme.

'Many pharmacies do free deliveries of medication for their regulars and elderly patients, and that won’t happen anymore after 60-day dispensing. We are having lots of meetings about how we can mitigate the impact of 60-day dispensing. We’re doing everything we can.’

Mr On has made changes to the services offered at the pharmacy. Previously, wound dressing was provided for free, but now it will come with a cost. Additionally, there will be a charge of $10 to $15 for blood pressure checks.

CommBank Pharmacy Insights also mentions that businesses in the pharmacy sector are motivated to provide additional services for patient care to increase their revenue.

The expected decline in profits has prompted various strategic responses from pharmacies. One significant growth opportunity identified was expanding professional services. Many pharmacies are also considering assessing their labour costs, which has led to discussions about potential staff reductions.

In this regard, the report says that 62 per cent of pharmacies are contemplating a decrease in the number of assistants, while 43.5 per cent are considering a similar reduction in employed pharmacists. Additionally, 48.1 per cent of pharmacies are exploring the possibility of reducing their opening hours.

Key Takeaways

• Pharmacies and chemists across Australia will begin to charge for previously free medical services in response to Labor's new prescription dispensing policy.
  • The policy, which starts on 1 September, will allow patients to receive 60 days' worth of prescriptions for the cost of their current 30-day scripts, which could lead to decreased profits for pharmacies.
  • Following the policy introduction, confidence in the pharmacy sector has dipped to its lowest in a decade, according to the UTS Community Pharmacy Barometer Index.
  • To counter this impact, pharmacies consider assessing their labour costs, leading to discussions about potential staff reductions.

For many of us, the news of these changes comes as a shock. We are used to being able to pop down to our local pharmacy and get various free services when we need them, so hearing that this may no longer be an option is jarring.

In the meantime, staying updated on government announcements or alterations in medical fees or services is crucial. If you're worried about medication expenses or other concerns, don't hesitate to discuss them with your local pharmacist. They'll be more than willing to assist you.

Rest assured, we at the SDC are committed to keeping you well-informed about these changes and other significant developments. So stay tuned for updates!

What are your thoughts on this, members? Share them with us in the comments below.

I agree with a few comments made re this matter, but disagree with people dismissing pharmacists as money grabbing!!
Just remember, they have overheads like any other business & staffing costs etc!
I remember years ago when my favourite doctor moved to a big practice where there’s a lot of drs but it’s just first in first serve - no apptments! I was upset but he explained that the costs incurred with overheads etc got more expensive & the govt set the price of a consultation w no knowledge of his costs which meant he had to charge more which in turn made the gap more & then people blamed him for putting up the cost.
And as for the pharmacist driving nice car etc etc - they should get some reward for all the years of study & some of them, going w/out to do so!
Why is it necessary for people to think the worst of someone because they can afford a few luxuries from their hard work!?
Some people have a chip on their shoulder !!!

Reactions: freedy50
I agree with a few comments made re this matter, but disagree with people dismissing pharmacists as money grabbing!!
Just remember, they have overheads like any other business & staffing costs etc!
I remember years ago when my favourite doctor moved to a big practice where there’s a lot of drs but it’s just first in first serve - no apptments! I was upset but he explained that the costs incurred with overheads etc got more expensive & the govt set the price of a consultation w no knowledge of his costs which meant he had to charge more which in turn made the gap more & then people blamed him for putting up the cost.
And as for the pharmacist driving nice car etc etc - they should get some reward for all the years of study & some of them, going w/out to do so!
Why is it necessary for people to think the worst of someone because they can afford a few luxuries from their hard work!?
Some people have a chip on their shoulder !!!
Actually, I don't have a chip on my shoulder, more like a bee in my bonnet.
As I stated in my earlier post, these changes do not make any dramatic change for me. I am a part pensioner, I also drive a nice car, own a nice home and have a rental property. That doesn't mean that I don't sympathise with those that are not so lucky and every little helps.
As for your Dr friend, he is not the only one that govt regulations affect .
I spent years struggling to pay the superannuation of over 20 employees, which was also government mandated, at the same time not being able to afford to pay my own. And yes when I finally gave up and closed my business my employees blamed me for putting them out of work.
So instead of today, hopefully, being a fully funded retiree, I closed my business which I had put a very long part of my life building up, walked out on a lazy alcoholic husband, having to give him 50% of what I had left and started my life again.
Drs are saying that this prescription change is a good thing and pharmacists are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Nowadays pharmacies sell everything under the sun, from watches, jewellery, perfumes, ornaments, confectionery, gloves, scarves, sunhats even washing powder etc. Their entire business doesn't revolve around prescriptions and medicinal products as it did in the old days, I'm sure they will survive.
My own pharmacist says that he expects it will make a small difference to his bottom line, but he is not expecting to sack staff
Those who are better off need to have a bit of empathy for those who are not .