Pharmacies to charge patients for once-free medical services amidst Labor’s prescription dispensing changes

Pharmacies will soon begin charging customers for some services that have previously been offered for free—such as blood pressure checks, delivery of medication, and wound care.

This is the latest development in the wake of the introduction of the federal government’s 60-day dispensing policy, which will see patients obtain a 60-day supply of their prescriptions for the same price as a 30-day script from September 1st.

The 2023 CommBank Pharmacy Insights report reveals that due to the impact of the new delivery scheme, around four out of five pharmacies are planning to introduce charges for certain services.

The report also indicated that about 90 per cent of pharmacies anticipate a significant decrease of up to one-third in their revenue.

This worrisome trend is further highlighted by the Community Pharmacy Barometer Index, which shows a sharp decline in confidence within the pharmacy sector.

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 1.27.20 PM.png
Pharmacies will soon begin to charge Aussies for previously free medical services, including blood pressure checks and medication deliveries. Credit: Unsplash.

Previously reaching its highest point in a decade, the index has dropped drastically. This decline occurred shortly after the government implemented its new policy.

Community pharmacies are concerned about the impact of the dispensing scheme, as 72 per cent of them anticipate a huge reduction in profits. According to a government report, pharmacies nationwide are projected to experience an annual loss of nearly $160,000 each due to the program.

Albert Naffah, Chief of CommBank Health, pointed out that this situation is compelling pharmacies to reevaluate the financial sustainability of their businesses. Many pharmacies are being forced to reconsider the financial viability of their business.

‘Many are considering whether keeping their workforce and opening hours intact is financially viable, while others are still grappling with shortages,' he said.

Quinn On, a pharmacy owner from Southwest Sydney, gave some insight into how pharmacies are potentially preparing to tackle the financial losses caused by the dispensing scheme.

'Many pharmacies do free deliveries of medication for their regulars and elderly patients, and that won’t happen anymore after 60-day dispensing. We are having lots of meetings about how we can mitigate the impact of 60-day dispensing. We’re doing everything we can.’

Mr On has made changes to the services offered at the pharmacy. Previously, wound dressing was provided for free, but now it will come with a cost. Additionally, there will be a charge of $10 to $15 for blood pressure checks.

CommBank Pharmacy Insights also mentions that businesses in the pharmacy sector are motivated to provide additional services for patient care to increase their revenue.

The expected decline in profits has prompted various strategic responses from pharmacies. One significant growth opportunity identified was expanding professional services. Many pharmacies are also considering assessing their labour costs, which has led to discussions about potential staff reductions.

In this regard, the report says that 62 per cent of pharmacies are contemplating a decrease in the number of assistants, while 43.5 per cent are considering a similar reduction in employed pharmacists. Additionally, 48.1 per cent of pharmacies are exploring the possibility of reducing their opening hours.

Key Takeaways

• Pharmacies and chemists across Australia will begin to charge for previously free medical services in response to Labor's new prescription dispensing policy.
  • The policy, which starts on 1 September, will allow patients to receive 60 days' worth of prescriptions for the cost of their current 30-day scripts, which could lead to decreased profits for pharmacies.
  • Following the policy introduction, confidence in the pharmacy sector has dipped to its lowest in a decade, according to the UTS Community Pharmacy Barometer Index.
  • To counter this impact, pharmacies consider assessing their labour costs, leading to discussions about potential staff reductions.

For many of us, the news of these changes comes as a shock. We are used to being able to pop down to our local pharmacy and get various free services when we need them, so hearing that this may no longer be an option is jarring.

In the meantime, staying updated on government announcements or alterations in medical fees or services is crucial. If you're worried about medication expenses or other concerns, don't hesitate to discuss them with your local pharmacist. They'll be more than willing to assist you.

Rest assured, we at the SDC are committed to keeping you well-informed about these changes and other significant developments. So stay tuned for updates!

What are your thoughts on this, members? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Australia is a loser-pays society and has been since privatisation of publicly owned services began . We need a complete re-appraisal of our Public Health Services. Nothing new there; Lord Beveridge wrote the report in1942 and in 1947 the British Labour Government brought in the National Health Service paid for by a national insurance scheme through regular contributions from workers and business owners. Thatcher and her apparatchicks and followers worked hard to dismantle that sort of thing from 1979 onwards, and Australians prefer our politicians to walk in her footsteps, to judge by the last 30 years of election results
not bad footsteps to follow and walk in. we need more maggies.

Pharmacist's wolf 🐺 in sheep's 🐑 clothing money 💰 over venerable customers bloody parasites double scripts means I see my doctor less for my medication prescriptions at $80 a visit I'm happy because I'm saving that money 💰 which can go to a bill or food Pharmacist are going to become scumbag thieves 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
keep calm.

Easily solved.
Buy an Omron blood pressure machine for $100 to $150.
If you can't afford that, try the free SISU health monitoring stations at your local Priceline Pharmacy.
We actually have 2 BP monitoring machines and get a different result on each of them when compared.
Both results are close enough to each other but which machine do you purchase for reliability? Did you aware that the mercury BP pump that your GP might use, needs to occasionally be calibrated every once in a while?

We actually have 2 BP monitoring machines and get a different result on each of them when compared.
Both results are close enough to each other but which machine do you purchase for reliability? Did you aware that the mercury BP pump that your GP might use, needs to occasionally be calibrated every once in a while?
Actually they tested monitors and said we should take our blood pressure 3times each time, it comes up different every time. So I pick the one I am happy with. Hopefully it’s the right one.

I find it is best to stay with the same medical measuring instrument to maintain consistency of results. This goes for both your own meter or one at your GP's. Regularly get it calibrated if it has that facility.

Reactions: Observer
Actually they tested monitors and said we should take our blood pressure 3times each time, it comes up different every time. So I pick the one I am happy with. Hopefully it’s the right one.
Maybe go with the median result. That is, if the readings are 135/81, 132/78 and 138/85, go for the middle one - 135/81. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Leenie
Pharmacist's wolf 🐺 in sheep's 🐑 clothing money 💰 over venerable customers bloody parasites double scripts means I see my doctor less for my medication prescriptions at $80 a visit I'm happy because I'm saving that money 💰 which can go to a bill or food Pharmacist are going to become scumbag thieves 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Not sure why you would have to see your Doctor less, scripts will still only be for a maximum 6 months supply

If you go to a GP, then surely blood pressure checks are done there.
If you don't visit a GP, I would wonder why. If you choose to have BP checks performed at a chemist, then your choice may well have to change.
I have never taken advantage of free services offered at chemists because I prefer my GP to carry them out and keep them documented.
My pharmacist is very friendly, helpful when it comes to medications, polite and efficient. That is all that I expect and why I keep going back.
My GP is integral in my health care, from head to toe. I think as I have aged, I have come to understand that I need to go to him for anything, no matter what, so that it goes on record. The same goes for hubby. He has cancer, fractured spine healing calcification, kidney issues, hearing loss, and like me, is getting older. We have to go for and appointment every 3 weeks to keep a watch what is going on. The GP can access everything, including what has happened at hospital.
I wonder what the chemist documents.
Whatever our choice, I guess we need to decided what we prefer and whether we are prepared to pay for the choice.

Pharmacies will soon begin charging customers for some services that have previously been offered for free—such as blood pressure checks, delivery of medication, and wound care.

This is the latest development in the wake of the introduction of the federal government’s 60-day dispensing policy, which will see patients obtain a 60-day supply of their prescriptions for the same price as a 30-day script from September 1st.

The 2023 CommBank Pharmacy Insights report reveals that due to the impact of the new delivery scheme, around four out of five pharmacies are planning to introduce charges for certain services.

The report also indicated that about 90 per cent of pharmacies anticipate a significant decrease of up to one-third in their revenue.

This worrisome trend is further highlighted by the Community Pharmacy Barometer Index, which shows a sharp decline in confidence within the pharmacy sector.

View attachment 27747
Pharmacies will soon begin to charge Aussies for previously free medical services, including blood pressure checks and medication deliveries. Credit: Unsplash.

Previously reaching its highest point in a decade, the index has dropped drastically. This decline occurred shortly after the government implemented its new policy.

Community pharmacies are concerned about the impact of the dispensing scheme, as 72 per cent of them anticipate a huge reduction in profits. According to a government report, pharmacies nationwide are projected to experience an annual loss of nearly $160,000 each due to the program.

Albert Naffah, Chief of CommBank Health, pointed out that this situation is compelling pharmacies to reevaluate the financial sustainability of their businesses. Many pharmacies are being forced to reconsider the financial viability of their business.

‘Many are considering whether keeping their workforce and opening hours intact is financially viable, while others are still grappling with shortages,' he said.

Quinn On, a pharmacy owner from Southwest Sydney, gave some insight into how pharmacies are potentially preparing to tackle the financial losses caused by the dispensing scheme.

'Many pharmacies do free deliveries of medication for their regulars and elderly patients, and that won’t happen anymore after 60-day dispensing. We are having lots of meetings about how we can mitigate the impact of 60-day dispensing. We’re doing everything we can.’

Mr On has made changes to the services offered at the pharmacy. Previously, wound dressing was provided for free, but now it will come with a cost. Additionally, there will be a charge of $10 to $15 for blood pressure checks.

CommBank Pharmacy Insights also mentions that businesses in the pharmacy sector are motivated to provide additional services for patient care to increase their revenue.

The expected decline in profits has prompted various strategic responses from pharmacies. One significant growth opportunity identified was expanding professional services. Many pharmacies are also considering assessing their labour costs, which has led to discussions about potential staff reductions.

In this regard, the report says that 62 per cent of pharmacies are contemplating a decrease in the number of assistants, while 43.5 per cent are considering a similar reduction in employed pharmacists. Additionally, 48.1 per cent of pharmacies are exploring the possibility of reducing their opening hours.

Key Takeaways

• Pharmacies and chemists across Australia will begin to charge for previously free medical services in response to Labor's new prescription dispensing policy.
  • The policy, which starts on 1 September, will allow patients to receive 60 days' worth of prescriptions for the cost of their current 30-day scripts, which could lead to decreased profits for pharmacies.
  • Following the policy introduction, confidence in the pharmacy sector has dipped to its lowest in a decade, according to the UTS Community Pharmacy Barometer Index.
  • To counter this impact, pharmacies consider assessing their labour costs, leading to discussions about potential staff reductions.

For many of us, the news of these changes comes as a shock. We are used to being able to pop down to our local pharmacy and get various free services when we need them, so hearing that this may no longer be an option is jarring.

In the meantime, staying updated on government announcements or alterations in medical fees or services is crucial. If you're worried about medication expenses or other concerns, don't hesitate to discuss them with your local pharmacist. They'll be more than willing to assist you.

Rest assured, we at the SDC are committed to keeping you well-informed about these changes and other significant developments. So stay tuned for updates!

What are your thoughts on this, members? Share them with us in the comments below.
I purchased a blood preesure kit overseas, when I mentioned it to my GP he told me to bring it on my next visit. He tested it by comparison with his equipment and found that it was more than capable I also have my own Oximeter etcera so keep a running record of figures. I also don't know how my opiate medications will affect by this doubling up on the prescription amounts.

do you think he doesn't deserve these treats. Years of learning, is in a very responsible and caring position has a huge outlay for the publics use and you go on about what he has.
I don't give a hoot about what he has, only stating that there are lots of people, especially pensioners, who are a lot worse off and this will help them.
I am lucky that I am not in that situation myself, neither am as well off as these pharmacists seem to be but I can sympathise with people who are struggling.
There are miles too many chemist stores anyway. I travel to a larger country town to shop and there are 5 chemist stores in this *country* town. They are all cutting each other's throats, could probably close at least 3 of them.

not bad footsteps to follow and walk in. we need more maggies.
If you want a total collapse of the Australian economy and social services, go for a Maggie. I do a good line in long thin 4 inch nails to stick into Maggie dolls.........

Reactions: Leenie
If you want a total collapse of the Australian economy and social services, go for a Maggie. I do a good line in long thin 4 inch nails to stick into Maggie dolls.........
Where do you get your Maggie’s , do they make ALBO ones ?

I purchased a blood preesure kit overseas, when I mentioned it to my GP he told me to bring it on my next visit. He tested it by comparison with his equipment and found that it was more than capable I also have my own Oximeter etcera so keep a running record of figures. I also don't know how my opiate medications will affect by this doubling up on the prescription amounts.
What is an Oximeter ?

View attachment 27747

Key Takeaways

View attachment 27747

Key Takeaways

All I am reading is pharmacies will be losing PROFITS, not losing turnover they are two different things, profit is the $ value left AFTER all expenses.