Pensioners to get cash boost in upcoming July indexation

As we get closer to July, Australian families and pensioners can look forward to a little extra financial breathing room. With the cost of living on the rise, the government's indexation of various payments is a welcome relief for over two million Australians.

From July 1, a range of government payments will see an increase, providing a much-needed boost to those who rely on this support.

The indexation process is an annual adjustment that ensures government payments keep pace with inflation.

This year, it's set to benefit a wide array of recipients, including families on the Family Tax Benefit, Newborn Supplement, and Multiple Birth Allowance, as well as pensioners on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payment.

compressed-senior-couple-analyzing-their-savings-while-going-through-home-finances.jpeg
Over two million Aussies will get a boost on their government payments this July. Image source: Freepik

For families, the numbers are looking up. Those receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A will see the maximum rate for children under 13 years old rise by $8.68 to $222.04 every fortnight.

For children aged 13 and over, the increase is even more substantial, with an $11.34 bump up to $288.82 per fortnight.

Family Tax Benefit Part B recipients aren't left out either; families with the youngest child under five years old will see their payments increase by $7.42 to $188.86 a fortnight, and those with children five years or older will receive an additional $5.18, bringing the maximum to $131.74 a fortnight.

But it's not just the fortnightly payments that are getting a lift. The end-of-year supplements for both Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B will also see a rise, with increases of $36.50 and $18.25, respectively, bringing them to $916.15 and $448.95.

This is a significant boost that will help families manage the ever-increasing costs associated with raising children.

Pensioners will also feel the positive impact of indexation, with increases in income and asset thresholds allowing more individuals to qualify for or receive higher payments. This is crucial for those on fixed incomes, who are often hit the hardest by inflation.

Budget documents stated that 876,000 income support recipients, including 450,000 aged pensioners, would benefit from the decision.

In addition to these changes, Paid Parental Leave is set to increase, aligning with the government's commitment to pay superannuation on Paid Parental Leave from 2025 and to expand leave to 26 weeks by 2026.

The indexation of payments is part of a broader government strategy to tackle the cost of living crisis, which was a major focus of last month's Budget.

With a $7.8 billion commitment to cost-of-living relief, including a 10 per cent boost to Rent Assistance and the inclusion of superannuation in Paid Parental Leave, the government is taking concrete steps to support Australians through these challenging economic times.

Minister for Social Services Amanda Rishworth emphasised the importance of indexation, stating: ‘These increases will provide a direct boost to fortnightly payments for families.’

For those eager to see the full extent of the changes, the complete list of payments increasing on July 1, including detailed income and asset limits, can be found on the Department of Social Services website.

It's a good idea to review these changes to understand exactly how they may affect your individual circumstances.
Key Takeaways
  • Over 2 million Australians will receive an increase in government payments due to indexation from July 1.
  • Families, pensioners, and those on certain social security benefits will see a boost in their fortnightly payments.
  • The increase comes as part of the government's commitment to assist with the cost of living and inflation pressures.
  • Key benefits affected include the Family Tax Benefit, Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payment are also set to increase.
As we all navigate the complexities of the economy, it's heartening to see measures in place that help ease the burden on families and pensioners.

So, come July, keep an eye on your payments, and remember that every little bit helps when it comes to managing the household budget.

What are your thoughts on these upcoming changes, members? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm on jobseeker because I'm not yet old enough to be a pensioner (I'm 63 turning 64 this November) I only see all other payments increase but not jobseeker. I just had an increase in my rent which was way more than I expected (private rental) so not sure how much rent assistance increase I'll get as I'm on the highest rate you can get. I'm now relying on family to help with the extra money to pay my rent as it will take all my Centrelink money. I'm not one to complain about it, but the government needs to take a good hard look at the situation not only from my situation but others receiving benefits etc my 100 year old mother helps me alot which I'm so grateful. She's told me a few times "Consider this part of your inheritance ". Also I cannot get a job as I have medical issues.
Please if you reply to my comment keep your anger out of it. Thank you

Good morning!!! Good grief....... what a lot of carry on. Those of us living on the Aged pension etc., will not be enjoying any increase from all this pallava, 'our turn' is strictly the pay period beginning both March and September 20. If we were to set our sites to every announcements similar to this current one we would consign ourselves to the local Mental institution regularly. We unfortunately have to accept that the reward for our due dilligence does not arrive in surprise packages outside of these occasions. There must be some way that the reporters of these " life changing " announcements could distill the information, BEFORE adding a cute two liner attention getter to the list of ulcer stirers. Happy Sunday folk.

I wonder how many pensioners voted Albo and his 'dumb bunnies' into Government. I said it before and I will say it again... I don't care who you vote for however, the Libs. and Labor are the two major parties, on many occasions these parties have had to make 'deals/concessions with the minor ego/idealistic groups, independents, who have to have their clothes labeled so they can put them on in the right order, so nothing is done with a majority government.. Changes are watered-down to satisfy these minorities or are just not passed for some obscure reason ie: a dam can't be raised because a green frog will drown...lol. SO.... the way I see it we should only vote for two parties, wipe these others out, they are just obstructing Gov. from doing what they should do. These EXTRA SNOUTS IN THE PUBLIC PURSE will never be able to govern, out of all the Independents in the 'sheltered workshop' I have only heard of three, who are active and one of them is an utter disgrace to the office, the way she conducts herself and I don't mean the Tasmanian Independent, she has spoken out and supported our Armed Forces and calls it as it is....We have to put in a Party that can 'RULE & MAKE DECISIONS'. If they fail, next election throw them out, vote in the other, if they fail, throw them out.....it may take a couple of 'throw-outs' however, it may also make them realise that they have to perform in the interests of this Country and its citizens. Can some-one explain to me what are TEAL members, I thought that was a colour, I guess those holding a Gov. position must 'carry a colouring-in book', I have noticed a lot of Politicians sitting in the Chamber with their heads down concentrating on their laps, or it could be some are asleep, some on their phones,texting/playing games, or colouring-in, they are not paying attention to what is going on. In my day at school and you were not paying attention you would get the 'duster, a piece of chalk' thrown at you or the teacher would creep up behind you give your ear a flick...

Instead of complaining about how all governments treat pensioners do something about it, your wasting your time voting minor or independent, so I suggest if in your electorate labor hold the seat vote for liberal and visa versa, that way we remove the sitting member, who may have been there for years and years doing nothing, once politicians see this trend they will be forced to do something or realise they will be booted at the next election. If everyone of the pensioners in Australia did this most sitting members would be booted out of politics, sometimes the devil you know isn’t always a good thing 😀

As soon as I saw the heading I knew what I would find in the comments. All the whinging whining pensioners are out in force again. No wonder the younger generations think we are irrelevant. It doesn’t matter what is done, it is never enough. The hand is out for more, more,more. And then you find out it is not for pensioners so you all whinge again about how those with kids get a handout and you get nothing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Greg350
Why the bloody he'll do the powers to be makeit so bloody complex , this mob gets this another group gets that, and some get nothing , and aged pensioners nothing or very little. Aged pensioners have usually have worked and payed taxes, but if you have been in the system all your life you get more it defies logic.

As soon as I saw the heading I knew what I would find in the comments. All the whinging whining pensioners are out in force again. No wonder the younger generations think we are irrelevant. It doesn’t matter what is done, it is never enough. The hand is out for more, more,more. And then you find out it is not for pensioners so you all whinge again about how those with kids get a handout and you get nothing.
I'm a cocerned Pensioner, not a whinging, sit on my hands and do nothing

Reactions: Senior1z
What on earth was there in that article to make pensioners feel happy??? 10% increase in rent relief? Great! Payments indexed to the CPI so that has little to do with our ACTUAL cost of living increases. It is never enough. All those increases were for people working and already earning money and for taking time off to have a baby! Once again this Labor Govt. has a lot to answer for as far as pensioners and unemployed are concerned. Amanda Rishworth is the worst!
Read the links

i looked it up again and cannot see anything going up for single pensioners however i have read that MARCHES indexation went up $19.20
where in the article does it state single pensioners are getting a increase in JULY
I will believe it when i see it
Even if we do get a further increase it will only bring us up to the current CPI so therefore it should be backdated to MARCH INDEXATION
Read the links in the story. Happens every year the same.

Yep, and they can't even be bothered to click a link which shows all the increases.

Why the bloody he'll do the powers to be makeit so bloody complex , this mob gets this another group gets that, and some get nothing , and aged pensioners nothing or very little. Aged pensioners have usually have worked and payed taxes, but if you have been in the system all your life you get more it defies logic.
It's complex because they try to make it fair to as many as possible. There will always be ones who miss out or feel they miss out. You cannot possibly keep everyone happy. The thing is many will be happy, I'm fine with the increases, you just don't hear about them.......because they ARE happy.

Good morning!!! Good grief....... what a lot of carry on. Those of us living on the Aged pension etc., will not be enjoying any increase from all this pallava, 'our turn' is strictly the pay period beginning both March and September 20. If we were to set our sites to every announcements similar to this current one we would consign ourselves to the local Mental institution regularly. We unfortunately have to accept that the reward for our due dilligence does not arrive in surprise packages outside of these occasions. There must be some way that the reporters of these " life changing " announcements could distill the information, BEFORE adding a cute two liner attention getter to the list of ulcer stirers. Happy Sunday folk.
Limits increase, that's how some will get an increase.

I'm on jobseeker because I'm not yet old enough to be a pensioner (I'm 63 turning 64 this November) I only see all other payments increase but not jobseeker. I just had an increase in my rent which was way more than I expected (private rental) so not sure how much rent assistance increase I'll get as I'm on the highest rate you can get. I'm now relying on family to help with the extra money to pay my rent as it will take all my Centrelink money. I'm not one to complain about it, but the government needs to take a good hard look at the situation not only from my situation but others receiving benefits etc my 100 year old mother helps me alot which I'm so grateful. She's told me a few times "Consider this part of your inheritance ". Also I cannot get a job as I have medical issues.
Please if you reply to my comment keep your anger out of it. Thank you
No anger from me, So sorry you find yourself in this situation
Such dire circumstances for so many people, the rent assistance is just ridiculous in relation to today's rent.
The age pension is not even enough to cover the average rent, let alone utilities and food, all things needed just to survive. Nothing for any of life's little pleasures.
Such a sad state for those who helped to build this country.
The government really needs to take a good hard look at the situation and get their priorities right. Too much money being spent in the wrong places.

Reactions: anouch
WOW,I am so excited,,I only need another $2:30 to be able to afford my 500 G Gluten free bread @ $8:30 a loaf ( half loaf of regular bread ) ,pensioners are always forgotten ,,we reared our kids,,put them through school ,,provided everything they needed ,,laybyed for special occasions and worked so damned hard to do that ( 10 hour days a lot of the time ) and didn't pay anyone to do our house work,,we did that when we could without Government help,,families today get so much Government help it's insane

Last edited: