Pensioners to get cash boost in upcoming July indexation

As we get closer to July, Australian families and pensioners can look forward to a little extra financial breathing room. With the cost of living on the rise, the government's indexation of various payments is a welcome relief for over two million Australians.

From July 1, a range of government payments will see an increase, providing a much-needed boost to those who rely on this support.

The indexation process is an annual adjustment that ensures government payments keep pace with inflation.

This year, it's set to benefit a wide array of recipients, including families on the Family Tax Benefit, Newborn Supplement, and Multiple Birth Allowance, as well as pensioners on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payment.

compressed-senior-couple-analyzing-their-savings-while-going-through-home-finances.jpeg
Over two million Aussies will get a boost on their government payments this July. Image source: Freepik

For families, the numbers are looking up. Those receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A will see the maximum rate for children under 13 years old rise by $8.68 to $222.04 every fortnight.

For children aged 13 and over, the increase is even more substantial, with an $11.34 bump up to $288.82 per fortnight.

Family Tax Benefit Part B recipients aren't left out either; families with the youngest child under five years old will see their payments increase by $7.42 to $188.86 a fortnight, and those with children five years or older will receive an additional $5.18, bringing the maximum to $131.74 a fortnight.

But it's not just the fortnightly payments that are getting a lift. The end-of-year supplements for both Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B will also see a rise, with increases of $36.50 and $18.25, respectively, bringing them to $916.15 and $448.95.

This is a significant boost that will help families manage the ever-increasing costs associated with raising children.

Pensioners will also feel the positive impact of indexation, with increases in income and asset thresholds allowing more individuals to qualify for or receive higher payments. This is crucial for those on fixed incomes, who are often hit the hardest by inflation.

Budget documents stated that 876,000 income support recipients, including 450,000 aged pensioners, would benefit from the decision.

In addition to these changes, Paid Parental Leave is set to increase, aligning with the government's commitment to pay superannuation on Paid Parental Leave from 2025 and to expand leave to 26 weeks by 2026.

The indexation of payments is part of a broader government strategy to tackle the cost of living crisis, which was a major focus of last month's Budget.

With a $7.8 billion commitment to cost-of-living relief, including a 10 per cent boost to Rent Assistance and the inclusion of superannuation in Paid Parental Leave, the government is taking concrete steps to support Australians through these challenging economic times.

Minister for Social Services Amanda Rishworth emphasised the importance of indexation, stating: ‘These increases will provide a direct boost to fortnightly payments for families.’

For those eager to see the full extent of the changes, the complete list of payments increasing on July 1, including detailed income and asset limits, can be found on the Department of Social Services website.

It's a good idea to review these changes to understand exactly how they may affect your individual circumstances.
Key Takeaways
  • Over 2 million Australians will receive an increase in government payments due to indexation from July 1.
  • Families, pensioners, and those on certain social security benefits will see a boost in their fortnightly payments.
  • The increase comes as part of the government's commitment to assist with the cost of living and inflation pressures.
  • Key benefits affected include the Family Tax Benefit, Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payment are also set to increase.
As we all navigate the complexities of the economy, it's heartening to see measures in place that help ease the burden on families and pensioners.

So, come July, keep an eye on your payments, and remember that every little bit helps when it comes to managing the household budget.

What are your thoughts on these upcoming changes, members? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
CPI adjustments don't provide a cash boost to pensioners. Instead, it effectively mitigates some of the erosion of the value of pensions. Providing the Government the excuse to do nothing more for pensioners. When was the last time we pensioners got a cash handout from the Government. I remember Scott Morrison handing out $750 cash bonus to help us out. My credit cards are all maxed out and could really do with a real cash boost.

I've been on a pension for over 35 years and have seen a real devaluation of the pension in that time. I receive two pensions. One from the state government as a public servant and a part pension from Centrelink. 35 years ago they were about the same amount. Despite both being cpi indexed the Centrelink pension is about 30% less now. The dirty secret is the amount you can earn (the income free earnings) is cpi adjusted against itself and not the minimum wage. So as my railway pension gets cpi adjusted, Centrelink take half. After 35years the DSP is now $300 per fortnight behind a state Government CPI adjusted pension.

A major increase? Like the recent "big" increase in rent assistance which in reality was less that $20 per fortnight? Prrhaps some time on the aged pension would give them a better perspective on how inadequate it is.
Did everyone sign the petition in regards to these issues, I had an animated discussion with a friend of mine, his statement to me that it makes no difference, my comeback was that the main problem, was that more whinge and don't want to join in have a go.
You can make a difference, we as a small group on the Gold Coast got Government assistance for our Sports club for junior boys and girls from 5years old to seventeen years old. We canvassed our local council rep state member and federal government . Bingo there you have it SDC has 280 thousand members all of us must dig in and lobby these bodies, as the Elections are looming

• Love
Reactions: gamiry and Rob44
Your correct.
Hi Mitchell. The reply I put in was supposed to be for MYLITTLTIBBIES not for you. ( apologies)…Yes I couldn’t find anything about any increase for pensioners. I really think pensioners( baby boomers) are being ripped off again. If it’s good enough for low income earners getting rises and Tax Cuts to keep them off poverty line, the politicians should be thinking of baby boomers who didn’t have luxury of employer super contributions until 1991, and myself, after paying taxes for 50 years get to enjoy our retirement on poverty payments..The taxpayers of this generation WILL have the opportunity to have decent super funds when they retire..Lets all hope some sanity will prevail for the baby boomers.
It's not much of an increase for pensioners. I just hope the aged pension is still around when I retire.
when you retire there might not be a pension
people are supposed to work and accumulate their super
ALL SINGLE PARENTS AND THE UNEMPLOYED DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO SUPER
I contributed to super and there was at least 2 times the stock market crashed and all up i lost nearly half OF my super
WHERE DO THOSE LOSSES GO TO
there is no increase to to Centrelink patrons
ONLY THE RICH , TAX CUTS IN THE THOUSANDS , ELECTRICITY, DISCOUNT PLUS PAY RISE
WORKERS TAX CUTS AND PAY RISES ELECTRICITY DISCOUNT
PEOPLE ON CENTRELINK PAYMENTS ARE WORSE OF BECAUSE THEY RECEIVED $500 discount last year and this year $300 like everyone else which means pensioners get nothing and in fact are at a $200 loss
In the last pension increase we received $9.50 a week and i see the lowest income earners over$30 a week increase plus tax cuts which puts them over $50 a week better off
PENSIONERS NOTHING SO EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY ARE GETTING HUGE PAYRISES AND PENSIONERS ARE GIVEN FU== ALL AS USUAL

Reactions: RHEWSON1
"I contributed to super and there was at least 2 times the stock market crashed and all up i lost nearly half OF my super"

Same here.

Reactions: Bill MacL
i looked it up again and cannot see anything going up for single pensioners however i have read that MARCHES indexation went up $19.20
where in the article does it state single pensioners are getting a increase in JULY
I will believe it when i see it
Even if we do get a further increase it will only bring us up to the current CPI so therefore it should be backdated to MARCH INDEXATION
Unless it’s something new. Pension CPI changes are in March and September each year. FTB are on the 1st July. One thing that does affect some pensioners is the “income free area” is indexed on 1st July.

Iam n

I am not commenting in support of your landlord, but these figures below are food for thought/argument.

Assume 100sqm weatherboard house on 650sqm, $440 per week..
Rent per year. $22 880
Rates per year. Approx $2 000
Water supply per year. Approx $1 000
Landlord insurance per year. Around $800 per year.
Land tax per year. Approx. $1 500. per year
Real state fees between 5-7%, say $1 000 per year.
Repairs/smoke alrms . Allow $3 000 per year, ignoring need for painting house and roof and replacing H/W cylinder and possibly kitchen stove every 7 years.
Total costs $9500pa ballpark number
Leaves $13,800.
If your landlord owns 4 such houses, that is a pre-tax income of $53 520. That is below the present poverty line, although my wife and I could live on it, just, given our own bills to pay.

Assume those 4 houses sell for $550 000, total sale achieves $2.2 million less real-estate fees. I don't what they are but let's say $200 000. Let's assume your landlord bought those houses for $70 000 each in 1993, that is a capital gain of $1 720 000; half that is $860 000 taxed at 45% or $387 000, leaving $1.333 million.
At 5% in a fixed-term deposit that is just a wee bit more than $65 000 per year, $13000 more than the income after rent.

But the landlord's 4 kids won't be able to inherit those 4 houses and by the time the landlord and his wife dies, that $1.333 million capital in the bank won't buy 4 houses, even if might buy 2.

I'm no advocate for your landlord, and my numbers will vary from State to State and from suburb to suburb, and anyone can play with them . It's ballpark stuff with approximations. The best result as far as I am concerned would be that Australian government re-engages with building significant numbers of "social housing", (around 200 000 per year), increases top-level income tax to 60% and re-graduates the present system accordingly; and perhaps even removes capital-gains tax on "investment" housing so as to encourage landlords to take their post-inflation adjusted profit and get out of earning their income from housing. However, I doubt if it would get me elected, let alone pre-selected, as MP by any political party.
Many of us don't want to live in public housing..for good reasons..only did it once ..never again..I appreciate that people make a living at this but a good Tennant is hard to find..look after us a bit..problem..so many renters looking for houses that don't exist ..so easy to replace any Tennant now..and rip up the rent again for a house built in the 70s and falling apart..sorry but there is more than two sides to a story now a days..it's complicated of course..as said appreciate what your saying..

i looked it up again and cannot see anything going up for single pensioners however i have read that MARCHES indexation went up $19.20
where in the article does it state single pensioners are getting a increase in JULY
Even if we do get a further increase it will only bring us up to the current CPI so therefore it should be backdated to MARCH INDEXATION
The only increase in July for pensioners is the cpi adjustment of your income free area of the income test. So for me it’s an extra $2 and Coles have bake beans on special for $2 at the moment.

i emailed Amanda Rushton how she came to the conclusion that inflation was %1.8
EVEN the govt stated it was %3.5
SHE WOULD NOT ANSWER AND BLOCKED ME
WHAT A COWARD SHE MUST BE TO NOT STAND UP FOR THE PEOPLE SHE REPRESENTS AND WILL NOT EXPLAIN HOW SHE GOT TO THAT FALSE CONCLUSION

I don't know how we survived back in the day no Government handouts, so the trendy mothers now can go the gym and coffee clubs ,and Dad gets maternity leave . The best one Wife's can go home and practice her horizontal folk dancing and yes there's a payment for that ,spare me what the$%^&&# is going on

Reactions: Helenmac
It’s all very well to give hand outs to Centrelink recipients but why is it the people that have gone with out saved and didn’t buy things if they couldn’t afford it when they were bringing up their families who have not had hand outs from the government’s all their working life’s have always miss out
Self funded retirees have all the same bills as everyone else
I think it’s about time government gave them a break and like NZ all retirees got a pension not everyone has millions in the bank or super they struggle to

Being directed to thier website is useless. It drects you to a chart with info relating to assets which actually does not tell people what they want to know. I live on the pension and dont own a home. I´m guessing my ´big boost´ will be around $20. Anyone who thinks that is a serious increase that will actually help pensioners is living in thesame fantasy land as the government is. Seiously out of touch with reality.

For pensioners I don't think there are any pension increases it's an increase on how much money you can have and earn while on the pension.

Almost one million Australians on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension and Carer Payment will also benefit from increases to income and asset thresholds.

So, big deal. We get to have more assets. What if we don't have assets and need more income (an increase in the pension) to pay our bills? As a disability pensioner, I don't have the ability to earn more income.

What about those who are on Jobseeker Allowance, once again we get nothing, l have got 7 months till l can get the pension and I can't wait just to get away from all this bullshit

So much for Albo coming from a single parent family. He certainly seems to have forgotten about the hard times he was always spouting on about. Give the pensioners a decent living wage or make new politicians live on the pension for a year with no freebies. Then maybe we will get what we deserve. A decent rise in our costs , not everyone can afford to buy a house. I have rented most of my life as I was cheated out of the half cost of 2 houses by selfish ex-husbands.

Even if as a pensioner we get an increase, housing trust rates automatically increase and the government get it all straight back.