Pensioners to get cash boost in upcoming July indexation

As we get closer to July, Australian families and pensioners can look forward to a little extra financial breathing room. With the cost of living on the rise, the government's indexation of various payments is a welcome relief for over two million Australians.

From July 1, a range of government payments will see an increase, providing a much-needed boost to those who rely on this support.

The indexation process is an annual adjustment that ensures government payments keep pace with inflation.

This year, it's set to benefit a wide array of recipients, including families on the Family Tax Benefit, Newborn Supplement, and Multiple Birth Allowance, as well as pensioners on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payment.

compressed-senior-couple-analyzing-their-savings-while-going-through-home-finances.jpeg
Over two million Aussies will get a boost on their government payments this July. Image source: Freepik

For families, the numbers are looking up. Those receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A will see the maximum rate for children under 13 years old rise by $8.68 to $222.04 every fortnight.

For children aged 13 and over, the increase is even more substantial, with an $11.34 bump up to $288.82 per fortnight.

Family Tax Benefit Part B recipients aren't left out either; families with the youngest child under five years old will see their payments increase by $7.42 to $188.86 a fortnight, and those with children five years or older will receive an additional $5.18, bringing the maximum to $131.74 a fortnight.

But it's not just the fortnightly payments that are getting a lift. The end-of-year supplements for both Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B will also see a rise, with increases of $36.50 and $18.25, respectively, bringing them to $916.15 and $448.95.

This is a significant boost that will help families manage the ever-increasing costs associated with raising children.

Pensioners will also feel the positive impact of indexation, with increases in income and asset thresholds allowing more individuals to qualify for or receive higher payments. This is crucial for those on fixed incomes, who are often hit the hardest by inflation.

Budget documents stated that 876,000 income support recipients, including 450,000 aged pensioners, would benefit from the decision.

In addition to these changes, Paid Parental Leave is set to increase, aligning with the government's commitment to pay superannuation on Paid Parental Leave from 2025 and to expand leave to 26 weeks by 2026.

The indexation of payments is part of a broader government strategy to tackle the cost of living crisis, which was a major focus of last month's Budget.

With a $7.8 billion commitment to cost-of-living relief, including a 10 per cent boost to Rent Assistance and the inclusion of superannuation in Paid Parental Leave, the government is taking concrete steps to support Australians through these challenging economic times.

Minister for Social Services Amanda Rishworth emphasised the importance of indexation, stating: ‘These increases will provide a direct boost to fortnightly payments for families.’

For those eager to see the full extent of the changes, the complete list of payments increasing on July 1, including detailed income and asset limits, can be found on the Department of Social Services website.

It's a good idea to review these changes to understand exactly how they may affect your individual circumstances.
Key Takeaways
  • Over 2 million Australians will receive an increase in government payments due to indexation from July 1.
  • Families, pensioners, and those on certain social security benefits will see a boost in their fortnightly payments.
  • The increase comes as part of the government's commitment to assist with the cost of living and inflation pressures.
  • Key benefits affected include the Family Tax Benefit, Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payment are also set to increase.
As we all navigate the complexities of the economy, it's heartening to see measures in place that help ease the burden on families and pensioners.

So, come July, keep an eye on your payments, and remember that every little bit helps when it comes to managing the household budget.

What are your thoughts on these upcoming changes, members? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
i see an increase of over $11 for children over 13 and yet pensioners only received $9.60 in there last pension increase
I SEE lowest paid workers getting a $56 dollar a week increase with a pay rise and tax cuts and NOTHING EXTRA FOR PENSIONERS
IF THE LOWEST PAID WORKERS NEED A $56 per week payrise due to inflation then how much would pensioners need to catch up to the lowest paid workers EVEN CHILDREN ARE GETTING BIGGER BENEFITS THAN THOSE PEOPLE WHO WORKED ALL THERE LIVES AND BUILT THIS COUNTRY
Mitchellowe…Agree 100%…..I am glad to see you have done your homework on this.Baby Boomers getting screwed all the time…Governments are making Retirees lives more miserable by the day and yet they keep giving themselves substantial pay increases..

Reactions: IAN3005
Mitchellowe…Agree 100%…..I am glad to see you have done your homework on this.Baby Boomers getting screwed all the time…Governments are making Retirees lives more miserable by the day and yet they keep giving themselves substantial pay increases..
There is a good reason... they want to exterminate us... we do not contribute to the tax department... pure and simple....

There is a good reason... they want to exterminate us... we do not contribute to the tax department... pure and simple....
I just cannot understand why there is no one trying to get pensioners anything substantial..Surely there must be an organisation somewhere that can put these statistics up to the parliamentarians… These sites are great for sharing our experiences and sometimes grievances, but we get absolutely nowhere unless we have representation in parliament.

Reactions: mitchellowe
and BIGGER tax cuts more than all workers I AM ALSO SURE US ELDERLY PENSIONERS HAVE PAID ALOT MORE TAXES THAN THE UNEMPLOYED AND SINGLE PARENTS
I HAVE TRIED TO GET ANSWERS FROM AMANDA RISHTON OR RUSHTON WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CPI PAY INCREASES AND TO SEE IF SHE KNOWS THE REAL INFLATION RATE AND SHE BLOCKS THE CALLS AND MESSAGES
I MAY HAVE SPELT HER NAME WRONG HOWEVER I CAN DO MATHS AND APPARENTLY SHE CANNOT

Last edited:
Reactions: RHEWSON1
and BIGGER tax cuts more than all workers I AM ALSO SURE US ELDERLY PENSIONERS HAVE PAID ALOT MORE TAXES THAN THE UNEMPLOYED AND SINGLE PARENTS
I HAVE TRIED TO GET ANSWERS FROM AMANDA RISHTON OR RUSHTON WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CPI PAY INCREASES AND TO SEE IF SHE KNOWS THE REAL INFLATION RATE AND SHE BLOCKS THE CALLS AND MESSAGES
I MAY HAVE SPELT HER NAME WRONG HOWEVER I CAN DO MATHS AND APPARENTLY SHE CANNOT
The minister for Social services is AMANDA RISHWORTH ..EMAIL is [email protected] for your benefit. I have emailed some of my concerns and the more people that maybe do this, the better.