Palpitating with anger: Customers express disappointment as famous coffee chain goes cashless

In an increasingly digital age, a large chunk of customers still prefer the jingle of coins and the rustle of banknotes.

A retailer's recent decision sparked a heated debate among Aussie coffee lovers.

Australian coffee chain Gloria Jean's has decided to go cashless by 11 September and will no longer accept cash in stores.

A Gloria Jean's customer spotted the restaurant's announcement through a signage in one of the stores.

The customer shared the find on a local community group and met with a wave of discontent.

compressed-gloria jeans.jpeg
A customer shared the Gloria Jean's announcement on social media, which earned disappointment from coffee lovers. Image Credit: Facebook

'It looks like they will also be going customerless,' one customer stated.

'Not getting my business. What happens when the internet goes down?' another customer asked.

'I'll not get coffee there. There are plenty of places that still take cash. Sick of all the added surcharges added to each transaction,' a third shared.

A spokeswoman from Retail Food Group, Gloria Jean's franchise owner, explained that this decision could enhance safety and streamline operations.

Yet, the franchise partners who own the majority of Gloria Jean's outlets still retain the autonomy to decide their cash-handling policies.

This backlash raised important questions about the state of cash transactions in Australia.

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), while businesses are not obligated to accept cash, they must include any surcharges in the displayed prices if there are no cash payment options available.

Dr Angel Zhong, an associate finance professor at RMIT, noted that Australia was a global leader in adopting digital payments, surpassing the United States and Europe.

'We are also the birthplace of large-scale, buy-now-pay-later services such as Zip and Afterpay,' Dr Zhong added.

The use of digital wallet payments on smartphones and watches also skyrocketed from $746 million in 2018 to over $93 billion in 2022.

According to The Reserve Bank of Australia's data, the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the decline in cash use.

Around 13 per cent of payments were made in cash in 2022—a stark contrast to the 70 per cent usage rate in 2007.

Despite this trend, research from payments technology company Waave found that seven out of ten Aussies are concerned about the disappearance of cash, with two out of five respondents being extremely concerned about banknotes becoming a relic.

Dr Zhong also predicted that Australia will be 'functionally' cashless by 2030, with over 90 per cent of payments done through digital platforms.

However, this prediction continues to worry those who still prefer cash transactions—including the elderly, people in rural areas with unreliable internet access, and those who prefer tangible cash transactions.
Key Takeaways

• Gloria Jean's, a popular café chain in Australia, announced its transition to cashless transactions by 11 September.
  • The change aimed to create a more efficient, safer working environment for staff but has been met with customer backlash.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission emphasised that businesses do not have to accept cash, but displayed prices must always include any surcharges.
  • Australia has experienced a sharp decline in cash use, with predictions of becoming a 'functionally' cashless society by 2030. However, Australians shared their concerns over privacy, security risks, and technology dependence.
What do you think about Gloria Jean's move to cashless payments? Have you felt the push towards digital payments in your daily transactions? Share your insights and opinions with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Watch their business slow down. Please don't go down this path. I don't go to Gloria Jeans.
But l do feel for older folks who might sit and have a coffee catch up maybe once a week. Not everyone has cards particularly the older generation. It's just not right.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I will avoid any business that goes completely cashless i still use a card when required but mostly use cash i hope and congratulate people reject businesses that go cashless

since they wont have to count cash and go to the bank and thier insurances are lower via no cash on premises ,they COULD absorb the card fee...but they wont ....its just greed......every dog has its day

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Ezzy
My hairdresser used to & possible still does, display a sign that says, 'WE PREFER CASH'. On my last visit recently l went straight for my cash but said, 'you prefer card don't you?' The reply was, 'no we accept cash too'. Lucky for them because all l had was a $50 note. Doesn't worry me to carry some coin for my mosaic classes.

Reactions: Littleboy8
According to The Reserve Bank of Australia's data, the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the decline in cash use.
Why? Because when we had to go into "lock-down", people bought more online.

Dr Angel Zhong, an associate finance professor at RMIT, noted that Australia was a global leader in adopting digital payments, surpassing the United States and Europe.
Why? Because there is a hidden stigma about having cash because it may be "unclean"

In 2015 I went to South Africa to visit my father and after a little while collected a bunch of local notes (Rand), when I got back to OZ I swapped wallets. Six months later I came across said wallet in a drawer and opened the wallet and it stank. Although there were no notes in it, it had retained the stink of the notes.
In South Africa the notes are still printed on paper and with all the handling they receive they become dirty and smelly, (unclean)

I don't object to paying with my card, but I most strongly object to paying for other privilege of making store owners lives easier.
They no longer have to count cash or pay to have it taken to the bank. The don't have to worry about idiot staff who can't figure out how to add up or how much change they owe you when the power goes down because we won't be able to buy anything anyway if there's no cash.
What a shamozzle.
What? Am I reading that wrongly? You'd rather make store owners lives harder?:unsure: Part of not having cash is the safety of the staff in the store/s. It only needs one loony to come in with a knife or gun and grab the till and run out with the shops takings.
Have you owned a store and seen how hard it is to run with everything they have to do? It's not just 9 to 5.
I'm afraid that wasn't a very good response.

What? Am I reading that wrongly? You'd rather make store owners lives harder?:unsure: Part of not having cash is the safety of the staff in the store/s. It only needs one loony to come in with a knife or gun and grab the till and run out with the shops takings.
Have you owned a store and seen how hard it is to run with everything they have to do? It's not just 9 to 5.
I'm afraid that wasn't a very good response.
Actually, yes, my family did own a milkbar many years ago
Yes, occasionally stores get robbed,but compared to the number of stores in the country it is negligible.
Having your own business, not just a store, is never a 9 to 5 job.
I have worked for myself most of my life
My main focus was always to please my clients,maybe that's why I was successful.
Without customers you don't have a business and pissing off a large section of them is
not good business

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Actually, yes, my family did own a milkbar many years ago
Yes, occasionally stores get robbed,but compared to the number of stores in the country it is negligible.
Having your own business, not just a store, is never a 9 to 5 job.
I have worked for myself most of my life
My main focus was always to please my clients,maybe that's why I was successful.
Without customers you don't have a business and pissing off a large section of them is
not good business
My Dad owned a busines for 40+ years and know how hard it was. However, in his day cards never existed so was only cash anyway.

And, allegedly, "pissing off a large section" of customers in this case is not the case. It's only 28 stores.

Boycott them, even if don't use cash. Cash is still legal tender.
Best read what the ACCC says about it......:)

Cash​

Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business to specify the terms and conditions that they will supply goods and services. This includes whether they will accept cash payment. However, consumers must be made aware of these terms and conditions before they make a purchase.

Businesses should be clear and upfront about the types of payments they accept, and the total minimum price payable for their goods and services.

My Dad owned a busines for 40+ years and know how hard it was. However, in his day cards never existed so was only cash anyway.

And, allegedly, "pissing off a large section" of customers in this case is not the case. It's only 28 stores.
They're still pissing off a large percentage of THEIR customers, it makes no difference if you have one store or a hundred if you don't look after your customers you loose them.

Reactions: Littleboy8
It's a pretty poor state of affairs when businesses can randomly and legally decide not to accept legal tender as payment. I thought that this was once illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong!
I'll correct you as you're wrong. This is what the ACCC have to say.....

Cash​

Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business to specify the terms and conditions that they will supply goods and services. This includes whether they will accept cash payment. However, consumers must be made aware of these terms and conditions before they make a purchase.

Businesses should be clear and upfront about the types of payments they accept, and the total minimum price payable for their goods and services.

Reactions: Mikeyboy2012
They're still pissing off a large percentage of THEIR customers, it makes no difference if you have one store or a hundred if you don't look after your customers you loose them.
RFG are a global company with about 10 different brands in Australia. There are 600 GJ stores world wide. I don't know how many of those might not take cash and if they don't I don't know if people in the various countries involved are just as childish as people here on this silly bandwagon.

Most sensible people will still go to these shops as they know that it's nothing to do with them how a shop, they've got nothing to do with, wants to run their business.