Palpitating with anger: Customers express disappointment as famous coffee chain goes cashless

In an increasingly digital age, a large chunk of customers still prefer the jingle of coins and the rustle of banknotes.

A retailer's recent decision sparked a heated debate among Aussie coffee lovers.

Australian coffee chain Gloria Jean's has decided to go cashless by 11 September and will no longer accept cash in stores.

A Gloria Jean's customer spotted the restaurant's announcement through a signage in one of the stores.

The customer shared the find on a local community group and met with a wave of discontent.

compressed-gloria jeans.jpeg
A customer shared the Gloria Jean's announcement on social media, which earned disappointment from coffee lovers. Image Credit: Facebook

'It looks like they will also be going customerless,' one customer stated.

'Not getting my business. What happens when the internet goes down?' another customer asked.

'I'll not get coffee there. There are plenty of places that still take cash. Sick of all the added surcharges added to each transaction,' a third shared.

A spokeswoman from Retail Food Group, Gloria Jean's franchise owner, explained that this decision could enhance safety and streamline operations.

Yet, the franchise partners who own the majority of Gloria Jean's outlets still retain the autonomy to decide their cash-handling policies.

This backlash raised important questions about the state of cash transactions in Australia.

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), while businesses are not obligated to accept cash, they must include any surcharges in the displayed prices if there are no cash payment options available.

Dr Angel Zhong, an associate finance professor at RMIT, noted that Australia was a global leader in adopting digital payments, surpassing the United States and Europe.

'We are also the birthplace of large-scale, buy-now-pay-later services such as Zip and Afterpay,' Dr Zhong added.

The use of digital wallet payments on smartphones and watches also skyrocketed from $746 million in 2018 to over $93 billion in 2022.

According to The Reserve Bank of Australia's data, the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the decline in cash use.

Around 13 per cent of payments were made in cash in 2022—a stark contrast to the 70 per cent usage rate in 2007.

Despite this trend, research from payments technology company Waave found that seven out of ten Aussies are concerned about the disappearance of cash, with two out of five respondents being extremely concerned about banknotes becoming a relic.

Dr Zhong also predicted that Australia will be 'functionally' cashless by 2030, with over 90 per cent of payments done through digital platforms.

However, this prediction continues to worry those who still prefer cash transactions—including the elderly, people in rural areas with unreliable internet access, and those who prefer tangible cash transactions.
Key Takeaways

• Gloria Jean's, a popular café chain in Australia, announced its transition to cashless transactions by 11 September.
  • The change aimed to create a more efficient, safer working environment for staff but has been met with customer backlash.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission emphasised that businesses do not have to accept cash, but displayed prices must always include any surcharges.
  • Australia has experienced a sharp decline in cash use, with predictions of becoming a 'functionally' cashless society by 2030. However, Australians shared their concerns over privacy, security risks, and technology dependence.
What do you think about Gloria Jean's move to cashless payments? Have you felt the push towards digital payments in your daily transactions? Share your insights and opinions with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
"Palpitating with anger:"
Who is?🤔 Only the cash is king nutters who all jump on the same boring bandwagon.🙄 I've even read a comment from someone, not on here, that said they've never been to one of these cafés but they're going to boycott them. 😂😂

With their usual blinkers on with this subject they don't read further, but it only involves 28 stores that RFG owns directly. The other 125 stores are franchised and they can do what they want.

And this 'legal tender' nonsense. If a store has a sign stating they won't take cash then that is legal for them to do that.
Anyway, I only use the debit card on my phone to pay for everything as usual. Can't even remember the last time I used cash for anything. Especially as it's 2024 not 1974.

Also, I just had to pay $1,600 for some dental treatment. Am I supposed to be carrying that amount in cash to pay that just because cash is allegedly king? Paid by card, went through straight away and no extra fee.

People need to grow up about this. With the usual childish comments about this on here, no wonder Australia is so slow catching up with the rest of the world with modern technology.🙄

Reactions: Littleboy8
"Palpitating with anger:"
Who is?🤔 Only the cash is king nutters who all jump on the same boring bandwagon.🙄 I've even read a comment from someone, not on here, that said they've never been to one of these cafés but they're going to boycott them. 😂😂

With their usual blinkers on with this subject they don't read further, but it only involves 28 stores that RFG owns directly. The other 125 stores are franchised and they can do what they want.

And this 'legal tender' nonsense. If a store has a sign stating they won't take cash then that is legal for them to do that.
Anyway, I only use the debit card on my phone to pay for everything as usual. Can't even remember the last time I used cash for anything. Especially as it's 2024 not 1974.

Also, I just had to pay $1,600 for some dental treatment. Am I supposed to be carrying that amount in cash to pay that just because cash is allegedly king? Paid by card, went through straight away and no extra fee.

People need to grow up about this. With the usual childish comments about this on here, no wonder Australia is so slow catching up with the rest of the world with modern technology.🙄
I don't object to paying with my card, but I most strongly object to paying for other privilege of making store owners lives easier.
They no longer have to count cash or pay to have it taken to the bank. The don't have to worry about idiot staff who can't figure out how to add up or how much change they owe you when the power goes down because we won't be able to buy anything anyway if there's no cash.
What a shamozzle.

It's a pretty poor state of affairs when businesses can randomly and legally decide not to accept legal tender as payment. I thought that this was once illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Reactions: Ezzy
I am sick and tired of having the options for me as a CUSTOMER to purchase goods and services that I want or NEED . I am particularly peeved off by not having the option to use cash, which in the majority of instances, does not attract a surcharge or an added fee. It now seems that to spend your money you have to pay someone (the greedy banks) "extra", while the banks have your money and are using it to make them even more profits. Once the banks have you money that they use to make huge profits , they are making it increasingly more difficult to access your money. The banks are the force behind making our society even more cashless by closing branches and forcing us to use online and digital banking, and expecting us to use credit and bedit cards to access opur money.

I don’t carry cash so doesn’t affect me except their coffee is shit so they don’t get my custom anyway. I support my local who roasts his own coffee beans and keeps his prices reasonable
Fill a flask .My daughter buys coffee when she goes out and says it's expensive .Who are they to say how you should pay! Don't go there

Reactions: Ezzy and Macarj
I rarely use cash but I don’t think people should be forced not to. There is always someone who doesn’t want to use a card and that is their right. My husband found the opposite actually on the weekend. He was playing golf and the club only accepted cash. One of his buddies only uses a card so his mate had to pay for him. It should go both ways - the option of card or cash

Reactions: Littleboy8