Over 55? Albanese government plans to boost JobSeeker payments in upcoming Budget

The Albanese government is set to announce a shakeup to Centrelink's JobSeeker payments – and if you're aged over 55, there could be an extra bonus in store for you!

According to recent reports, recipients aged over 55 will receive a modest increase to the current $50 daily JobSeeker rate. This move is part of a suite of cost-of-living measures to be put into action with this month’s budget, specifically targeting hard-hit workers such as the long-term unemployed and older Australians.

1682985685869.png
Over 55 JobSeeker recipients are expected to receive a boost in the upcoming budget. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The raise for older JobSeekers is set to benefit around 200,000 welfare recipients. It’s likely to be a small but modest increase that falls short of the $100 a week increase welfare advocates have been pushing for.

However, every little bit helps, and this could mean a significant difference for those who have been struggling to make ends meet on the current payment rate. As many of you may know, trying to make the most out of a tight budget can be beyond challenging.

This proposed increase will first apply only to those aged 55 and over.

At present, a single person aged 60 and over who has been receiving JobSeeker for nine months receives $745 per fortnight.

On top of a boost to JobSeeker payments, Labor is also looking into making changes to rent assistance, which is another huge consideration for seniors living on a fixed income.

Treasurer, Jim Chalmers, and Social Services Minister, Amanda Rishworth, have released a statement saying: 'We’ve been saying that for some time. I’ve also been saying there will be a very significant cost of living package in this budget and that that will be targeted to most vulnerable Australians, I think that’s what you’d expect from a Labor government.'

Meanwhile, PM Anthony Albanese, told a press conference on Monday afternoon that the government would have ‘a comprehensive plan for lifting living standards’.

‘You’ll see a range of other measures in the budget in eight days’ time, which arise from the understanding that we have that people are doing it tough. We’ve had global inflation. So, we need to make sure we keep on top of inflation. But at the same time, we’re doing what we can to provide that relief for people.’ he continued.

Key Takeaways
  • Older Australians, specifically those aged 55 and over, are set to receive a modest increase to their JobSeeker payments in next week's budget.
  • The raise is part of a suite of budget measures targeting vulnerable Australians, including possible changes to Rent Assistance.

At this stage, there is no further word on the specifics of the upcoming Budget shakeup – but you can be sure that we will keep you updated with the latest information that impacts you as soon as it comes in!

Sponsored
Probably needed especially for older people who find themselves put off their last job and find it hard getting new employment.

Pensioners got a great increase last one that I'm still trying to get my head around that it was so big. I live alone and yes have my own place and have Private Health Insurance, top cover (Accidental Damages Extension cover) Home & Contents insurance, council rates, car insurance, landline phone & internet plus mobile. The bills add up even.

There are tricks to saving money and I do this by that I eat well but cheap. I don't each much, one meal a day. Tonight I made two patches of Soy & Honey Chicken and all from scratch, plus rice. Two days meals for approximately $3.50 = $1.25 per meal. I'll have a banana later which I just paid $1.99 p/k and works out $0.41 for one banana. Plus, Ill no an Ovaltine Hot milk and some water drink later tonight. I'll be then all good for my morning coffee which I make with all milk but strong Nestle 43' coffee.

Please people, think smart and buy whole fresh chickens hen on sale for $3.50-$5.00 p/kilo and cut them up yourself and freeze in small portions. You can pull out a couple of small portions and roast and have two small roast chickens in two days in a row. Cost of that meal per night could cost you only $2.50 - $3.50. Want desert, then put some puff pastry in the oven, when cooked and puffy, dust with icing sugar, or drizzle with honey, or some Nutella on top, some sliced banana, scoop of some ice cream or cream. Doesn't have to cost the earth.
Gr8 ideas maybe you could start some classes a teach people how to save and eat well on a budget I myself do exactly what you do. winner

Gr8 ideas maybe you could start some classes a teach people how to save and eat well on a budget I myself do exactly what you do. winner
I have a cook up every second weekend and make huge pots of casseroles for freezing. Chick drumsticks one in each cont lots of veggies and jar Dolmio or curry. Plus two big cans fruit . Also pk spaghetti or bag noodles. $1.00 for a bag of noodles at woollies. Normally I can get two weeks of food for very little. Plus I gave up choco and chips for raw carrots as munchies.not hard to do if you put your mind to it.( still miss the choc &chips) but on Centrelink you have to be a miser!🙀👍

I’m 65 on jobseeker use a wheelie walker because of a hip replacement have osteoarthritis etc! Pay $380.00 a week rent and bills not much left for food! Chronic pain! Now being hounded by a company called workforce aust to apply for jobs or they keep threatening me to cut off my payments bullying tactics! Have Centrelink medical certificates but they keep hounding me! Stressful and intimidating! I have no money for transport can’t catch buses live an hour from frankston can’t walk there on a wheelie walker! No wonder people commit suicide!so depressed!👎
Yeah, they did it to me once too My left shoulder was in a sling and my vehicle had canvas showing on two Tyres and I was told if I didn't go pick macadamia nuts (one handed and an hour each way daily away) then I would lose my pension.

There are only a few with bloody-mindedness, and no life experience in that job, or there was, a couple of years ago.

The vast majority are empathetic and engaged. Can you ask for another case worker to assess your current situation?

Can you ask a local politician, or write in just like you did here, to your local paper? A friend that hasn't seen you for a while, might read it and even hop in and help your life mate.