Outraged customer exposes KFC's 'small' chicken cuts: Are you getting less than you paid for?

Who doesn’t love a cheeky meal out now and then?

However, there’s nothing worse than when you’ve paid good money to tuck in, only to agonisingly realise you’re probably not going to get your money’s worth.

An eagle-eyed KFC customer has sparked outrage online after calling out the chicken chain over what he says are shrinking portion sizes.

The customer, who wished to remain anonymous, posted a photo showing one of the chicken pieces from his KFC order was a mere six centimetres long.

He wrote: ‘Has anyone noticed KFC Chicken prices are so small?’

photo (36).jpg
A KFC customer complained that the chickens from the fast food chain are small. Credit: KFC Australia/Instagram, Reddit

He expressed disappointment: ‘There is little to no batter or taste. Chicken today, the breast piece was 2 inches in size, and the wings were even smaller. Not worth the price.’

The customer also mentioned that the 21 chicken pieces in his order were all small in size.

Social media users affirmed the customer’s complaints, stating they also noticed the fast food chain’s shrinking chicken.

‘I've noticed they are getting smaller,’ one wrote, while a second one commented, ‘I love that you've got the tape measure out. That is indeed a small piece of KFC.’

Another speculated: ‘They definitely do not use full-size chickens, never have.’

‘KFC chickens are ordered to be that size if they're bigger, they have to be sent back cause they won't cook in time,’ a fourth social media user claimed.

photo (37).jpg
Other KFC consumers complained about the shrinking sizes of their chicken. Credit: Reddit

Customer complaints about smaller KFC meals have been growing on social media this year.

In July, another KFC customer complained about the size of the tenders they ordered, writing: ‘KFC tenders are now coming from a budgie, not a chicken.’

‘Yep, we are being ripped off. They were for sure longer and thicker back when,’ someone commented on the post.

‘This happened to my last KFC order as well. Tenders looked like a nugget doing yoga,’ another shared.

But that’s not all—another consumer posted a photo of their chicken fillet in May, claiming that ‘Shrinkflation has finally hit KFC.’

They continued: ‘The hardest part is someone decided this was perfectly fine.’

To which fellow social media users replied, ‘Mate, KFC has been stooging the consumer for a long, long time. This is nothing new.’

A second commenter shared: ‘The large chip box is narrower, too, I swear.’

A spokesperson for KFC Australia said portion sizes rarely vary in size—but when they do, there is an explanation.

‘As our chicken is delivered fresh daily from our suppliers, there can be rare occasions where some cuts of chicken are slightly different sizes, just like pieces of chicken from the supermarket can be different sizes,’ they explained.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian KFC customer expressed dissatisfaction over the size of the chicken pieces, claiming they are too small with little batter and no taste.
  • In a social media post, the customer stated that the 21 pieces in their order were all small, a claim supported by other users who agreed KFC portions are shrinking
  • Similar complaints about the fast food chain’s chicken tenders and chicken fillets were reported earlier this year.
  • A KFC spokesperson reaffirmed that their chicken pieces rarely vary in size, and when they do, it is due to cut variations.

Have you noticed a similar trend in your food orders, members? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored

However, there’s nothing worse than when you’ve paid good money to tuck in, only to agonisingly realise you’re probably not going to get your money’s worth.

An eagle-eyed KFC customer has sparked outrage online after calling out the chicken chain over what he says are shrinking portion sizes.

The customer, who wished to remain anonymous, posted a photo showing one of the chicken pieces from his KFC order was a mere six centimetres long.

View attachment 32822
A KFC customer complained that the chickens from the fast food chain are small. Credit: KFC Australia/Instagram, Reddit

He expressed disappointment: ‘There is little to no batter or taste. Chicken today, the breast piece was 2 inches in size, and the wings were even smaller. Not worth the price.’

The customer also mentioned that the 21 chicken pieces in his order were all small in size.

Social media users affirmed the customer’s complaints, stating they also noticed the fast food chain’s shrinking chicken.

‘I've noticed they are getting smaller,’ one wrote, while a second one commented, ‘I love that you've got the tape measure out. That is indeed a small piece of KFC.’

Another speculated: ‘They definitely do not use full-size chickens, never have.’

‘KFC chickens are ordered to be that size if they're bigger, they have to be sent back cause they won't cook in time,’ a fourth social media user claimed.

View attachment 32823
Other KFC consumers complained about the shrinking sizes of their chicken. Credit: Reddit

Customer complaints about smaller KFC meals have been growing on social media this year.

In July, another KFC customer complained about the size of the tenders they ordered, writing: ‘KFC tenders are now coming from a budgie, not a chicken.’

‘Yep, we are being ripped off. They were for sure longer and thicker back when,’ someone commented on the post.

‘This happened to my last KFC order as well. Tenders looked like a nugget doing yoga,’ another shared.

But that’s not all—another consumer posted a photo of their chicken fillet in May, claiming that ‘Shrinkflation has finally hit KFC.’

To which fellow social media users replied, ‘Mate, KFC has been stooging the consumer for a long, long time. This is nothing new.’

A spokesperson for KFC Australia said portion sizes rarely vary in size—but when they do, there is an explanation.

‘As our chicken is delivered fresh daily from our suppliers, there can be rare occasions where some cuts of chicken are slightly different sizes, just like pieces of chicken from the supermarket can be different sizes,’ they explained.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian KFC customer expressed dissatisfaction over the size of the chicken pieces, claiming they are too small with little batter and no taste.
  • In a social media post, the customer stated that the 21 pieces in their order were all small, a claim supported by other users who agreed KFC portions are shrinking
  • Similar complaints about the fast food chain’s chicken tenders and chicken fillets were reported earlier this year.
  • A KFC spokesperson reaffirmed that their chicken pieces rarely vary in size, and when they do, it is due to cut variations.

Have you noticed a similar trend in your food orders, members? Share your experiences in the comments below!

I am very disappointed with the herbs that are missing from the chicken this day and age. I tasted it when it first started to sell in Australia and it tastes nothing like years ago. Size is a problem also. The breast chicken is so dry??

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

Another thing we have experienced when ordering delivery is they never seem to get the order right. There is always something missing. Last time we actually got someone else's order. Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Tervueren

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

Yes even the bucket and boxes have shrunk I think they did this hoping we wouldn’t notice the chicken had shrunk, we’re not stupid KFC we noticed

Haven’t eaten KFC for years & wouldn’t bother with any of these places! My son worked his job at local KFC as his 1st job while @ school & he got to bring home pieces of chicken at end of his shift. Occasional late night snack!
All was fine until there was a case of a woman had bitten into her chicken & got a mouthful of puss! It turned out it was a consequence of the steroids used in the chickens!! She sued the KFC & I would imagine never ate it again!! My husband used to call it Kentucky Fried Rabbit😂!!
Nothing against peeps for liking it but I’ve never really been that partial to it, would rather cook my own or get the occasional BBQ chicken from Drakes Foodland as theirs is Nicest & largest!
Cooking your own in airfryer (with ur own secret herbs & spices) is hard to beat!😋

• Wow

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

Go order a "large" pizza from Dominos. They have shrunk and are small. They even had to reconstruct the pizza boxes to suit the little pizzas lol. We are all being ripped off here in Australia.🤣

I cannot buy KFC as they wont take cash. and I do not have a credit card. i am 84 years old, what is going to happen to cash ?

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

After awhile you realize just how bad and how hellishing expensive some fast take away "meals" are and you also realize that you don't really need to buy the **** .
Sadly; it does take awhile to learn that .
Very often it's faster and far less expensive to cook at home ; but sadly that can take a little while to learn .
First lesson is to forget (don't watch) most of totally stupid over the top cooking comps on tele . ''Real-life" is nothing like that for most of us .

You too busy, firstly get off online, then learn to love your your ''one pot wonder'' ; your slow cooker --- or perhaps the pressure cooker I have not used/needed.
Best chips come from the supermarket freezer

And us oldies need to teach the youngsters the basic knowledge of life ---- cooking food

Reactions: DLHM and Tervueren

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

It's also the same at RED ROOSTER - the chicken was the size of a 'quail'. The Classic Roast tray size is still remarkably close to the original size but now instead of the tray being full, it's half empty and the so called large meal would not have even feed my granddaughter. Was soooooo disappointed.

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

I totally agree. KFC. Clarkson. We had ordered a 3 piece feed with no potato and gravy but with extra chips, a popcorn chicken go bucket and 3 wicked wings. When hubby got home we had 3 very tiny wings which were very dark 1 small drumstick and dry half a box of chips and no wicked wings. OH but had 5 potato and gravy,s. When he rang the store to complain he was told that the staff said they had put in the wicked wings and extra chips. We explained that it wasn,t there he said that if we go back they would give us a free large chips. That is all he said they could do. A very rude Assistant manager. Won,t go back there again....So disappointing.

I returned my Chicken tennder box that contained 14 fries, 3 chicken tender pcs the size of nuggets and 14 pop corn chicken, potato & gravy 3/4 full. NO sauce and no straw and no cutlery pack.
It has NOT happened to since then, and now I always ask for the seniors discount and check my pack before I leave the store. 100% improvement.

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

Yes they are definitely getting smaller. My last two boxes of three were so small I thought they were joking. I guess they are like so many other places like McDonalds burgers not that I eat either of them often, but have noticed the fact they are both getting smaller in size and higher in pricing.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM and Tervueren
Not a regular take away eater but twice in the last 6 months i purchased KFC in the drive through, on both occasions the pieces were extremely small, dry, and almost black in colour, no doubt in my mind that they were left overs and had been reheated more than once. Sorry KFC you have lost me and my family for good.

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

Thankyou for this article. I thought I may have been imagining this situation. Something like 12 months, or more, I thought the pieces were a bit smaller. Add that to the fact that their prices are creeping up has reduced my buying of KFC to the rare treat category instead of once a week/fortnight. Getting that way, nowadays, that it seems we can't trust many of the larger businesses. A lot of grocery items fall into this category too. Reduced weight/size with increased price, sometimes both at the same time. I am tired of being screwed.

Reactions: DLHM
Have to disagree. Best chips come from potatoes peeled and cut by yours truly. Double cooked is the best. An initial short cook, cooled down a bit then longer cooked for gloriously crispy chips.
From the replies you post regarding food, you sound like a great cook! Pity you can’t invite me ‘round for dinner. 😆

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

100% Correct.I dont buy takeaway on a regular basis,BUT find less for more is noticeable.I bought a zinger box last time and the chip bag wasnt even half full, YOU would think the few chips were placed individually in the bag.!!Not good enough but have decided THAT was my last purchase from KFC
Key Takeaways