Outraged customer exposes KFC's 'small' chicken cuts: Are you getting less than you paid for?

Who doesn’t love a cheeky meal out now and then?

However, there’s nothing worse than when you’ve paid good money to tuck in, only to agonisingly realise you’re probably not going to get your money’s worth.

An eagle-eyed KFC customer has sparked outrage online after calling out the chicken chain over what he says are shrinking portion sizes.

The customer, who wished to remain anonymous, posted a photo showing one of the chicken pieces from his KFC order was a mere six centimetres long.

He wrote: ‘Has anyone noticed KFC Chicken prices are so small?’

photo (36).jpg
A KFC customer complained that the chickens from the fast food chain are small. Credit: KFC Australia/Instagram, Reddit

He expressed disappointment: ‘There is little to no batter or taste. Chicken today, the breast piece was 2 inches in size, and the wings were even smaller. Not worth the price.’

The customer also mentioned that the 21 chicken pieces in his order were all small in size.

Social media users affirmed the customer’s complaints, stating they also noticed the fast food chain’s shrinking chicken.

‘I've noticed they are getting smaller,’ one wrote, while a second one commented, ‘I love that you've got the tape measure out. That is indeed a small piece of KFC.’

Another speculated: ‘They definitely do not use full-size chickens, never have.’

‘KFC chickens are ordered to be that size if they're bigger, they have to be sent back cause they won't cook in time,’ a fourth social media user claimed.

photo (37).jpg
Other KFC consumers complained about the shrinking sizes of their chicken. Credit: Reddit

Customer complaints about smaller KFC meals have been growing on social media this year.

In July, another KFC customer complained about the size of the tenders they ordered, writing: ‘KFC tenders are now coming from a budgie, not a chicken.’

‘Yep, we are being ripped off. They were for sure longer and thicker back when,’ someone commented on the post.

‘This happened to my last KFC order as well. Tenders looked like a nugget doing yoga,’ another shared.

But that’s not all—another consumer posted a photo of their chicken fillet in May, claiming that ‘Shrinkflation has finally hit KFC.’

They continued: ‘The hardest part is someone decided this was perfectly fine.’

To which fellow social media users replied, ‘Mate, KFC has been stooging the consumer for a long, long time. This is nothing new.’

A second commenter shared: ‘The large chip box is narrower, too, I swear.’

A spokesperson for KFC Australia said portion sizes rarely vary in size—but when they do, there is an explanation.

‘As our chicken is delivered fresh daily from our suppliers, there can be rare occasions where some cuts of chicken are slightly different sizes, just like pieces of chicken from the supermarket can be different sizes,’ they explained.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian KFC customer expressed dissatisfaction over the size of the chicken pieces, claiming they are too small with little batter and no taste.
  • In a social media post, the customer stated that the 21 pieces in their order were all small, a claim supported by other users who agreed KFC portions are shrinking
  • Similar complaints about the fast food chain’s chicken tenders and chicken fillets were reported earlier this year.
  • A KFC spokesperson reaffirmed that their chicken pieces rarely vary in size, and when they do, it is due to cut variations.

Have you noticed a similar trend in your food orders, members? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I bought KFC in Sydney's west near closing time....small, dried out pieces obviously left overs from the day or the day before, they were shocking. Drove back and pounded on the door, they told me they couldn't refund my money because all the money had been counted and put away, they tried to give me a voucher for next time. I demanded my money and got it.
What does the WEST, actually have to do with the problem.

I hadn’t had KFC for years and decided to give it a try recently. Well, the chicken was far smaller, bun was tougher, chips were in a smaller carton (large) with an over supply of salt, drink was that warm I could have put a teabag in it and the drive-through attendant looked like she wanted to be elsewhere same with the window where I picked up the food (which was just chucked into the bag.
No, I didn’t have a good experience there and neither did a lot of other people in my town. No point in giving a bad review as they don’t acknowledge them, only good reviews.
So, Collins Food Group, you destroyed Sizzler and you are doing the same in my town with Kill F@#$ng Chooks

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren
Just one thing about cooking oils. Depending on what "school of oil" you went to, decides what is so called best. There are many parameters to digest. Smoke point, levels of monosaturated and polyunsaturated oils, trans oil component and omega 3/omega 6 ratios.

The few articles I have read contradict either other. One says that extra virgin olive oil has a low smoke point and not suitable for high temperature cooking, whereas the next one states the complete opposite. So what is it?

Disregard any articles written by someone with flowers in their hair and chugging on a bong, sprouting conspiracy theories like GI modified foods. Go with biochemists and the like who publish scholarly articles in reputable journals.
Personally, I use olive oil for salad dressing and avacado oil for all the rest. That’s just me. 💐🌺🌸🌼

Don't know how they supply chicken pieces today.... back in the day ; 70,s Kentucky Fried Chicken as they were known demanded that all pieces were from a specific size chicken ,namely a #11 (the average size chicken was # 13 ie. 1.3 kg)
KFC stores would then individually order so many chickens . These chickens were then cut up to KFCs specifications, ie wings ,legs,etc.
These were all placed in a crate and delivered to the store.
Today's chickens grow so much faster. The average size is probably #14/#15.
The only way pieces could get smaller is if KFC ordered a smaller size bird, ie. #10 /#9 etc. which with today's shrinkflation they have possibly done to the stage that you now notice.
It is near impossible to buy the once standard size number 13 frozen chicken. A small chicken was the size number 11. If you had family coming to dine, you bought a Humber 15 chicken - that was the biggest available, then you rang mum to ask how long to cook it compared to the normal #13. (Go and ask yr mother or grandmother!). Today, the #13 is now considered to be large!
In 2023, most frozen chickens are #9 and #10, as are the roasted supermarket ones. The flavour has altered because the chicken is not permitted to grow properly and to develop. This is caused primarily by taxation (GST)

When GST was first introduced, one chicken did feed a family of 4-5 with some left for lunch sandwiches.
KFC most definitely is using the smaller sizes now.
Supermarket roast chickens are definitely #9-#10. They fit in a man's hand - smaller than a practice football.
In past times, many people carefully saved the WISH-BONE through the year (not as much chicken was consumed back then). The WISH-BONE was cleaned, dried in the sun to bleach it, then kept in a box until Christmas. The children could tie red and green ribbons to them, to be hung on the Christmas Tree. Some painted their WishBones silver as well. This kept kids busy as well as making the festive paper chains to hang around the house, whilst mum made the pudding, Christmas cake and prepared for the onslaught of the family Christmas gatherings.
* This was much better than supporting China buying non- recyclable tinsel that makes pets sick.
After the Christmas evening meal, everyone would take a Wish Bone from the tree, and with another person, pulling apart. Ty he person with the larger bone section got to make a Wish.
Recently, I pulled out a box of chicken Wish Bones collected 20 years ago and had pushed to the back of the cupboard. These Wish-Bones are much larger and stronger than every Wish-Bone of the last 10 years.

I am surprised today's supermarket chicken even had feathers on them. The are so small and delicate that the birds must have still been covered in their yellow baby fluffyness.

It creeps me out that now the demand is so high for consumable chicken, the birds do not even live to be one year old. We are not being sold a real grown chook anymore, but the small Chicks!
And, KFC is one of the companies forcing this gruesome change along with Coles and Woolworths.
If you want to return to buying the better, larger, fully grown chicken, then demand these greedy companies provide what we want.
Go back to "harvesting" chickens are size 13 to 15, not size 9 to 10.
The #13 used to last me for office lunch sandwiches and dinner over 3-4 days.
But not anymore 😢

• Wow
It is near impossible to buy the once standard size number 13 frozen chicken. A small chicken was the size number 11. If you had family coming to dine, you bought a Humber 15 chicken - that was the biggest available, then you rang mum to ask how long to cook it compared to the normal #13. (Go and ask yr mother or grandmother!). Today, the #13 is now considered to be large!
In 2023, most frozen chickens are #9 and #10, as are the roasted supermarket ones. The flavour has altered because the chicken is not permitted to grow properly and to develop. This is caused primarily by taxation (GST)

When GST was first introduced, one chicken did feed a family of 4-5 with some left for lunch sandwiches.
KFC most definitely is using the smaller sizes now.
Supermarket roast chickens are definitely #9-#10. They fit in a man's hand - smaller than a practice football.
In past times, many people carefully saved the WISH-BONE through the year (not as much chicken was consumed back then). The WISH-BONE was cleaned, dried in the sun to bleach it, then kept in a box until Christmas. The children could tie red and green ribbons to them, to be hung on the Christmas Tree. Some painted their WishBones silver as well. This kept kids busy as well as making the festive paper chains to hang around the house, whilst mum made the pudding, Christmas cake and prepared for the onslaught of the family Christmas gatherings.
* This was much better than supporting China buying non- recyclable tinsel that makes pets sick.
After the Christmas evening meal, everyone would take a Wish Bone from the tree, and with another person, pulling apart. Ty he person with the larger bone section got to make a Wish.
Recently, I pulled out a box of chicken Wish Bones collected 20 years ago and had pushed to the back of the cupboard. These Wish-Bones are much larger and stronger than every Wish-Bone of the last 10 years.

I am surprised today's supermarket chicken even had feathers on them. The are so small and delicate that the birds must have still been covered in their yellow baby fluffyness.

It creeps me out that now the demand is so high for consumable chicken, the birds do not even live to be one year old. We are not being sold a real grown chook anymore, but the small Chicks!
And, KFC is one of the companies forcing this gruesome change along with Coles and Woolworths.
If you want to return to buying the better, larger, fully grown chicken, then demand these greedy companies provide what we want.
Go back to "harvesting" chickens are size 13 to 15, not size 9 to 10.
The #13 used to last me for office lunch sandwiches and dinner over 3-4 days.
But not anymore 😢
Chicken size was designated by the weight. Size 9 equates to a 0.9 kg chicken, size 13 is 1.3 kgs and so on. I don't know if that's still the case. What I have noticed is the size of chickens sold in Woolies and Coles has increased. You used to able to buy size 10 chooks but the smallest you get these days is about size 20. And they are in the fridge, not the freezer.

While we all acknowledge that the size of the chickens have shrunk.....it's a shame that they haven't reduced the prices accordingly.....but,......that would be too much for them to even consider. 😉 And while we are on the subject of spatchcock's.......has anyone noticed the size of the Roast Chooks in Woolworths lately ? They don't seem to be the same size as previously either....yet same old price or even dearer sometimes....it's a joke what they get away with at times. 😱😉

However, there’s nothing worse than when you’ve paid good money to tuck in, only to agonisingly realise you’re probably not going to get your money’s worth.

An eagle-eyed KFC customer has sparked outrage online after calling out the chicken chain over what he says are shrinking portion sizes.

The customer, who wished to remain anonymous, posted a photo showing one of the chicken pieces from his KFC order was a mere six centimetres long.

View attachment 32822
A KFC customer complained that the chickens from the fast food chain are small. Credit: KFC Australia/Instagram, Reddit

He expressed disappointment: ‘There is little to no batter or taste. Chicken today, the breast piece was 2 inches in size, and the wings were even smaller. Not worth the price.’

The customer also mentioned that the 21 chicken pieces in his order were all small in size.

Social media users affirmed the customer’s complaints, stating they also noticed the fast food chain’s shrinking chicken.

‘I've noticed they are getting smaller,’ one wrote, while a second one commented, ‘I love that you've got the tape measure out. That is indeed a small piece of KFC.’

Another speculated: ‘They definitely do not use full-size chickens, never have.’

‘KFC chickens are ordered to be that size if they're bigger, they have to be sent back cause they won't cook in time,’ a fourth social media user claimed.

View attachment 32823
Other KFC consumers complained about the shrinking sizes of their chicken. Credit: Reddit

Customer complaints about smaller KFC meals have been growing on social media this year.

In July, another KFC customer complained about the size of the tenders they ordered, writing: ‘KFC tenders are now coming from a budgie, not a chicken.’

‘Yep, we are being ripped off. They were for sure longer and thicker back when,’ someone commented on the post.

‘This happened to my last KFC order as well. Tenders looked like a nugget doing yoga,’ another shared.

But that’s not all—another consumer posted a photo of their chicken fillet in May, claiming that ‘Shrinkflation has finally hit KFC.’

To which fellow social media users replied, ‘Mate, KFC has been stooging the consumer for a long, long time. This is nothing new.’

A spokesperson for KFC Australia said portion sizes rarely vary in size—but when they do, there is an explanation.

‘As our chicken is delivered fresh daily from our suppliers, there can be rare occasions where some cuts of chicken are slightly different sizes, just like pieces of chicken from the supermarket can be different sizes,’ they explained.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian KFC customer expressed dissatisfaction over the size of the chicken pieces, claiming they are too small with little batter and no taste.
  • In a social media post, the customer stated that the 21 pieces in their order were all small, a claim supported by other users who agreed KFC portions are shrinking
  • Similar complaints about the fast food chain’s chicken tenders and chicken fillets were reported earlier this year.
  • A KFC spokesperson reaffirmed that their chicken pieces rarely vary in size, and when they do, it is due to cut variations.

Have you noticed a similar trend in your food orders, members? Share your experiences in the comments below!
It’s all good and well to say that the pieces vary in the supermarket but you pay per kilogram in a supermarket not per piece

Reactions: Angela Cockburn

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

All I've noticed is they taste disgusting because apparently they're cooked in canola oil.

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

Many fast-food places are cutting either the ingredients or the size. My local Chinese takeaway used to do the best fried rice but since Covid it has barely any vegetables and the container used to be filled to the brim, now it is way under the brim. Do they think the public don't notice this???? All the while putting the prices up.....it has to be one or the other, put the price up, or cut down the ingredients, not both!

View attachment 32822

View attachment 32823

Key Takeaways

I have a friend in the chicken industry who also says KFC order their chicken pieces small. Any large pieces get sent back because they take longer to cook than the smaller pieces. Amazing how KFC used to be able to cook old fashion large pieces.

No worse than MacDonald's "Big Mac" I could just about fiinish in one go So much smaller than before. Love the blooper up top.

Haven’t noticed the sizes getting smaller but rarely buy KFC. Did notice a couple of years ago that when we bought a large zinger burger meal they were double dipping on the gst. Charged it on the individual items and again on the total of the items together. I took this up with local store management and sent off an email to the head office in Australia but all to no avail. Local store ignored me, head office escalated the complaint to some English firm who were pretty useless. I contacted fair trading, again it seemed to be put in too hard basket. In the end I gave up and rarely bother with kfc anymore. It is probably still happening.

• Wow
Maybe this is why they don’t give receipts unless you ask for it.

At our KFC if I buy the chicken tenders meal and they are small they always put 2 extra ones in

Haven’t noticed the sizes getting smaller but rarely buy KFC. Did notice a couple of years ago that when we bought a large zinger burger meal they were double dipping on the gst. Charged it on the individual items and again on the total of the items together. I took this up with local store management and sent off an email to the head office in Australia but all to no avail. Local store ignored me, head office escalated the complaint to some English firm who were pretty useless. I contacted fair trading, again it seemed to be put in too hard basket. In the end I gave up and rarely bother with kfc anymore. It is probably still happening.
That is illegal

Really it's cheaper to buy your own bird from the supermarket. Take it home cut it into 8 pieces. Make your crumb mix using Panko, Japanese, dry & crispy and herbs you enjoy & make sure thyme and paprika are included Then use an egg wash, then dunk in crumbs
Use another egg wash & get those crumbs onto y our chicken thoroughly. Make sure your oven is hot180, right before you put chicken into the oven give a quick paint of olive oil both sides. In about 20 check you chicken take sure the thickest part runs clear juices. Remove from oven and watch them be devoured. No great running down your arm. While chicken is cooking knock up a coleslaw and some potato & gravy made earlier reheat potato and they all be asking Mum when are we having your fried chicken 😉 Or if you own one use one of those bench top fryers. Just wander through recipes on the internet, there are oodles of them 😀