Outrage over Woolworths' changes to home delivery orders: Why customers are left fuming!

As seasoned shoppers, we've seen our fair share of changes over the years, but it seems our beloved Woolworths supermarket is kicking up a storm with some very recent alterations to their Delivery Unlimited service.

So how will these changes impact our online shopping routines?

Just when we thought we'd seen it all, this latest news follows hot on the heels of the widely criticised revamp of Woolworths' Everyday Rewards Extra program, which sent long-standing customers reeling from the shock of reduced benefits.

As if that wasn't enough, Delivery Unlimited subscribers are now up in arms over fresh correspondence from the retail giant detailing further modifications to the popular service.

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 10.25.21 AM.png
Woolworths has been slammed after making two major changes to its Delivery Unlimited service. Credit: Woolworths.

First and foremost, the minimum spend for Woolworths delivery orders is set to increase from $50 to a steeper $75. Alongside this seemingly innocent alteration, another unwelcome surprise awaits: Delivery Unlimited subscribers will now be charged for bags with their orders!

In a message to subscribers, Woolworths explained, 'The minimum spend threshold will increase from $50 to $75. This means you will get free Same or Next Day delivery on all orders of $75 or more, and discounting Delivery Now fees on orders of $75 or more.'

But they didn't stop there, adding that 'your Delivery Unlimited subscription will no longer include bag fees for Woolworths Online orders. This means that the fee for paper or reusable bags will be added to Woolworths orders. This will be a fee of $1 per order for reusable bags or $2 per order for paper bags.'

Woolworths has cited rising fuel costs as the driving force behind these changes while somewhat ruefully reminding customers that the subscription cost itself was halved in 2021. However, this explanation and silver lining have done little to soothe the indignation of many shoppers who've taken to social media to air their grievances.

One disgruntled customer chimed in with, 'Not happy with the price increase and benefits loss with the rewards and Unlimited delivery subscription, especially with the $907m profit you made this half year. Going to be losing customers for this.'

Another lamented the additional bag costs, stating, 'Woolworths, are you trying to drive your customers away?', and continued to express their disappointment as a long-term patron of the store.

Some subscribers have gone so far as to threaten the cancellation of their memberships in response to these contentious changes – not exactly the outcome Woolworths may have desired when implementing the new policies.

Woolworths’s Delivery Unlimited restrictions and exclusions.jpg

In light of all this news, a Woolworths spokesperson has confirmed the changes in a statement and offered options for customers to avoid paying bag fees: 'Rising fuel prices and other costs have required us to review our Delivery Unlimited offer. While we are increasing the minimum spend for orders from $50 to $75, the price of our monthly and annual subscriptions remains the same.'

They went on to say: 'Bag fees will no longer be included in the subscription price, and there will be a $1 fee for reusable bags or $2 for paper bags. This change brings bag fees in line with our other online shopping options. To avoid bag fees for Direct to Boot or pick up, the groceries can be delivered to a customer's vehicle for them to pack into their own reusable bags.'

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket has come under fire over two new changes to its Delivery Unlimited service.
  • The supermarket has confirmed that it is increasing the minimum spend for Woolworths delivery from $50 to $75.
  • Delivery Unlimited subscribers will also now be charged for bags with their orders.
  • The news has been met with anger from some Woolworths shoppers, who have shared their unhappiness on social media.

So, Seniors Discount Club members, we leave it to you to decide whether to stick with Woolworths or explore other options for your future online grocery shopping endeavours. But rest assured; we will keep you informed of any further developments in this saga. And as always, happy shopping – online or otherwise!

Sponsored
Morning
I am also not happy with the steep changes Woolworths have handed down.
For me, especially the 10% off once a month not applying to home deliveries.
We shouldn't be discriminated against because we can't shop in person. Why have home deliveries if people are discouraged from using it.
Will investigate shopping elsewhere.
Wikgil.

This is the first time I’ve heard about the changes to Woolies Delivery Unlimited service. As I can no longer drive, I use this service all the time. I don’t object to paying for the bags but I’m appalled, especially as a pensioner at having to pay an extra $25 to continue using this service. That is a huge jump in pricing. Will definitely be looking at other option.

As a delivery unlimited customer, I am angry. I only do small shops because of a limited budget. Now they want me to spend more and bags as well. I cannot do direct to boot as I don't have a car. I just wonder if Coles is going to follow suit. Woollies you sure know how to hit the little man.:mad:

As seasoned shoppers, we've seen our fair share of changes over the years, but it seems our beloved Woolworths supermarket is kicking up a storm with some very recent alterations to their Delivery Unlimited service.

Just when we thought we'd seen it all, this latest news follows hot on the heels of the widely criticised revamp of Woolworths' Everyday Rewards Extra program, which sent long-standing customers reeling from the shock of reduced benefits.

As if that wasn't enough, Delivery Unlimited subscribers are now up in arms over fresh correspondence from the retail giant detailing further modifications to the popular service.

View attachment 21302
Woolworths has been slammed after making two major changes to its Delivery Unlimited service. Credit: Woolworths.

First and foremost, the minimum spend for Woolworths delivery orders is set to increase from $50 to a steeper $75. Alongside this seemingly innocent alteration, another unwelcome surprise awaits: Delivery Unlimited subscribers will now be charged for bags with their orders!

In a message to subscribers, Woolworths explained, 'The minimum spend threshold will increase from $50 to $75. This means you will get free Same or Next Day delivery on all orders of $75 or more, and discounting Delivery Now fees on orders of $75 or more.'

But they didn't stop there, adding that 'your Delivery Unlimited subscription will no longer include bag fees for Woolworths Online orders. This means that the fee for paper or reusable bags will be added to Woolworths orders. This will be a fee of $1 per order for reusable bags or $2 per order for paper bags.'

Woolworths has cited rising fuel costs as the driving force behind these changes while somewhat ruefully reminding customers that the subscription cost itself was halved in 2021. However, this explanation and silver lining have done little to soothe the indignation of many shoppers who've taken to social media to air their grievances.

One disgruntled customer chimed in with, 'Not happy with the price increase and benefits loss with the rewards and Unlimited delivery subscription, especially with the $907m profit you made this half year. Going to be losing customers for this.'

Another lamented the additional bag costs, stating, 'Woolworths, are you trying to drive your customers away?', and continued to express their disappointment as a long-term patron of the store.

Some subscribers have gone so far as to threaten the cancellation of their memberships in response to these contentious changes – not exactly the outcome Woolworths may have desired when implementing the new policies.

In light of all this news, a Woolworths spokesperson has confirmed the changes in a statement and offered options for customers to avoid paying bag fees: 'Rising fuel prices and other costs have required us to review our Delivery Unlimited offer. While we are increasing the minimum spend for orders from $50 to $75, the price of our monthly and annual subscriptions remains the same.'

They went on to say: 'Bag fees will no longer be included in the subscription price, and there will be a $1 fee for reusable bags or $2 for paper bags. This change brings bag fees in line with our other online shopping options. To avoid bag fees for Direct to Boot or pick up, the groceries can be delivered to a customer's vehicle for them to pack into their own reusable bags.'

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket has come under fire over two new changes to its Delivery Unlimited service.
  • The supermarket has confirmed that it is increasing the minimum spend for Woolworths delivery from $50 to $75.
  • Delivery Unlimited subscribers will also now be charged for bags with their orders.
  • The news has been met with anger from some Woolworths shoppers, who have shared their unhappiness on social media.

So, Seniors Discount Club members, we leave it to you to decide whether to stick with Woolworths or explore other options for your future online grocery shopping endeavours. But rest assured; we will keep you informed of any further developments in this saga. And as always, happy shopping – online or otherwise!
My wife and I have mobility issues and we have been using online shopping to either click/collect or home delivery to do our shopping. Having two insurance policies with Woolworths entitled us to 10% discount on our orders. we have been advised that from 1st July the only way to gain our 10% discount is to physically attend the store. How are we supposed to attend the store and walk the necessary distance in the store to do our shopping? Will be physically impossible or will take all day to shop as we would require constant breaks to rest. If this isn’t blatant age/disability discrimination I don’t know what is. We have shopped at Woolworths for over 50 years. I did ring Woolworths to complain. They said they would note my complaint but were under no obligation to respond to it.
suggested that they may make an exception for aged customers by linking their seniors card to their system to ensure that they are dealing with genuine elderly people. No luck. So woolworths will probably lose long term customers plus two insurance policies from their customer base but I don’t think they give a S..t. I feel so discriminated against because of my age and disability it makes me physically sick.

View attachment 21302

Key Takeaways

I am an 80 year old widow with multiple mobility issues. To have my groceries delivered and brought into my kitchen is my only way of receiving my shopping. I am on a limited budget and sometimes can only afford $50 on my delivery order. Now I am ordered to pay an extra $25.00. With today's rising costs this is not possible for me. I will be looking elsewhere - checking with Coles to see what their offer is, otherwise I will not be able to shop at all. With the excessive profit that Woolies have made I can't see why they claim that transport costs have brought about this change. Why not a little less profit and a bit more for the people who cant attend the shops.

View attachment 21302

Key Takeaways

Of course things will go up. Some workers are going to get $50 increase . Watch all the things that will go up . Everyone will get on the bandwagon.

Woolworths have also stopped the member Insurance discount of the monthly 10% for online orders. I don't know how disabled people are going to handle this. It certainly puts them at further disavantage.

View attachment 21302

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Ricci
like all businesses woolies have to cover the cost of these services they would be one of the biggest employers too, so they are entitled to make a profit.
I have nothing against any company making a profit, after all that's ultimately what they're in business for. What I do take exception to is the unfeeling way in the current climate they cut services, put up prices, squeeze suppliers and generally steamroller their way over everyone. They came to the party when covid hit and were as helpful as they could be but now they are hitting folk when they are already down. They are obviously not reading the room at the moment. 😟

Before Covid Woolworths had direct to bench where your order was delivered free of any bags and unloaded at your bench I found that the best
I want to point out that Coles also charge for bags with delivery. It was 15c each for plastic now $1.50 per order for paper bags That is with subscription .

Reactions: Ricci
Morning
I am also not happy with the steep changes Woolworths have handed down.
For me, especially the 10% off once a month not applying to home deliveries.
We shouldn't be discriminated against because we can't shop in person. Why have home deliveries if people are discouraged from using it.
Will investigate shopping elsewhere.
Wikgil.
How are yu dscriminated against? You are using a service and there are costs involved

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer and Ricci

View attachment 21302

Key Takeaways

This is the first time I’ve heard about the changes to Woolies Delivery Unlimited service. As I can no longer drive, I use this service all the time. I don’t object to paying for the bags but I’m appalled, especially as a pensioner at having to pay an extra $25 to continue using this service. That is a huge jump in pricing. Will definitely be looking at other option.

View attachment 21302

Key Takeaways

I have cancelled my Woolworths Seniors Club Membership, as a pensioner this is to much of a hike in fees, very disappointing Woolworths. Will check out the other companies now. 😕

Very very disappointed in Woolworths, as a pensioner with health issues I have cancelled my a/c. Will look at the other super markets. Shame on Woolworths you make enough profit as it stands. Even young families are battling with their shopping each week, everything has doubled in price!!!!!!!