Oprah reveals secret weight loss strategy: ‘I felt stronger’

Oprah Winfrey, an iconic Hollywood talk show host and media mogul, has always been open about her struggles with weight.

Now, she's breaking new ground by revealing her use of an unspecified weight loss medication and her decision to stop hiding behind the shame associated with weight management.

Oprah's weight has been a topic of public discussion for decades. Her struggles with weight cycling, commonly known as the ‘yo-yo diet’, have been well-documented. She has often shared her experiences with her audience.

Now, at 69, she's taking a new approach to weight management.

oprah1.JPG
Oprah Winfrey admitted to using medication to help her lose weight. Credit: Shutterstock

In a candid interview, Oprah admitted to using a weight loss medication to help manage her weight.

'I now use it as I feel I need it, as a tool to manage not yo-yoing,' she said.

'The fact that there's a medically approved prescription for managing weight and staying healthier, in my lifetime, feels like relief, like redemption, like a gift, and not something to hide behind and once again be ridiculed for.'

Oprah's decision to use medication for weight loss came after a panel discussion with medical experts in July. She had previously believed that using medication was taking the 'easy way out’.

However, the discussion led to a significant revelation. 'I realised I’d been blaming myself all these years for being overweight, and I have a predisposition that no amount of willpower is going to control,' she said.

‘I’m absolutely done with the shaming from other people and particularly myself.’

While Oprah did not explicitly name the medication she's using, it's widely speculated that it's Ozempic, a Type II diabetes medication that's become popular among celebrities for its weight loss benefits.

Ozempic, also known as semaglutide, is a once-weekly injectable medication that helps control blood sugar levels. However, one of its side effects is weight loss, which has made it a popular off-label choice for weight management.

It should be noted that Ozempic is not a US FDA-approved weight loss medicine.

In Australia, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has approved Ozempic but only for diabetes, while a higher-dose version called Wegovy passed muster for weight loss.

While medication has played a role in Oprah's weight loss journey, she emphasised that it's just one part of a larger health and fitness regimen.

'It’s everything,' she said. 'I know everybody thought I was on it, but I worked so hard. I know that if I’m not also working out and vigilant about all the other things, it doesn’t work for me.'

She also credited hiking for helping her reach her fitness goals. 'I felt stronger, more fit and more alive than I’d felt in years.'

Her decision to share her use of weight loss medication is a significant step in breaking down the stigma associated with weight management.

It's a reminder that weight loss is a personal journey, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Whether it's through diet, exercise, medication, or a combination of all three, the most important thing is finding a method that works for you and leads to a healthier, happier life.

That said, it’s important to consult with your GP first before trying any new weight loss drugs or fitness regimen to ensure you’re not straining your body and putting your health at risk.

Whether you're struggling with weight management or another health issue, there are resources and treatments available to help.

As Oprah said, ‘It was a second shot for me to live a more vital and vibrant life.’

Key Takeaways

• Hollywood talk show host and media mogul Oprah Winfrey admitted to using medication to manage her weight after speculation over her visibly slimmer figure.
  • Winfrey commented that she was done with 'shaming' regarding her weight and believed the weight-managing prescription to be a 'relief' and a 'gift'.
  • She did not disclose the medication’s name but indicated that she loosened her previously-held belief that it was an 'easy way out' after a discussion with medical experts.
  • While seeing success with the medication, Winfrey stressed that it was part of a larger health regimen including physical activities, crediting hiking as a major aid in reaching her fitness goal.
What are your thoughts on Oprah's revelation? Have you or someone you know used medication for weight loss? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
If I had a personal trainer , a personal chef and a housekeeper I could do what she does.

Opra is like a yoyo one week she is slim then the next the weights back on, then it's off then it's on .....and this has been going on since the 80s

When she has kept it off for maybe 5 + years then it will be worth talking about

Oprah Winfrey, an iconic Hollywood talk show host and media mogul, has always been open about her struggles with weight.

Now, she's breaking new ground by revealing her use of an unspecified weight loss medication and her decision to stop hiding behind the shame associated with weight management.

Oprah's weight has been a topic of public discussion for decades. Her struggles with weight cycling, commonly known as the ‘yo-yo diet’, have been well-documented. She has often shared her experiences with her audience.

View attachment 37517
Oprah Winfrey admitted to using medication to help her lose weight. Credit: Shutterstock

In a candid interview, Oprah admitted to using a weight loss medication to help manage her weight.

'The fact that there's a medically approved prescription for managing weight and staying healthier, in my lifetime, feels like relief, like redemption, like a gift, and not something to hide behind and once again be ridiculed for.'

Oprah's decision to use medication for weight loss came after a panel discussion with medical experts in July. She had previously believed that using medication was taking the 'easy way out’.

However, the discussion led to a significant revelation. 'I realised I’d been blaming myself all these years for being overweight, and I have a predisposition that no amount of willpower is going to control,' she said.

‘I’m absolutely done with the shaming from other people and particularly myself.’

While Oprah did not explicitly name the medication she's using, it's widely speculated that it's Ozempic, a Type II diabetes medication that's become popular among celebrities for its weight loss benefits.

Ozempic, also known as semaglutide, is a once-weekly injectable medication that helps control blood sugar levels. However, one of its side effects is weight loss, which has made it a popular off-label choice for weight management.

In Australia, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has approved Ozempic but only for diabetes, while a higher-dose version called Wegovy passed muster for weight loss.

While medication has played a role in Oprah's weight loss journey, she emphasised that it's just one part of a larger health and fitness regimen.

'It’s everything,' she said. 'I know everybody thought I was on it, but I worked so hard. I know that if I’m not also working out and vigilant about all the other things, it doesn’t work for me.'

She also credited hiking for helping her reach her fitness goals. 'I felt stronger, more fit and more alive than I’d felt in years.'

Her decision to share her use of weight loss medication is a significant step in breaking down the stigma associated with weight management.

It's a reminder that weight loss is a personal journey, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Whether it's through diet, exercise, medication, or a combination of all three, the most important thing is finding a method that works for you and leads to a healthier, happier life.

That said, it’s important to consult with your GP first before trying any new weight loss drugs or fitness regimen to ensure you’re not straining your body and putting your health at risk.

Whether you're struggling with weight management or another health issue, there are resources and treatments available to help.

As Oprah said, ‘It was a second shot for me to live a more vital and vibrant life.’

Key Takeaways

• Hollywood talk show host and media mogul Oprah Winfrey admitted to using medication to manage her weight after speculation over her visibly slimmer figure.
  • Winfrey commented that she was done with 'shaming' regarding her weight and believed the weight-managing prescription to be a 'relief' and a 'gift'.
  • She did not disclose the medication’s name but indicated that she loosened her previously-held belief that it was an 'easy way out' after a discussion with medical experts.
  • While seeing success with the medication, Winfrey stressed that it was part of a larger health regimen including physical activities, crediting hiking as a major aid in reaching her fitness goal.
What are your thoughts on Oprah's revelation? Have you or someone you know used medication for weight loss? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
If it is safe and she certainly can afford it , why not?

Reactions: Annna and PattiB
Nobody should be using these medications for anything other than what they are actually originally prescribed for particularly with shortages that now occur. Shame on Doctors for allowing that to happen. Should be banned.

I think if you want to lose weight you have to change your lifestyle and have a strong and don’t give up . You need to change your eating habits and exercising every day . Take up a new class in the new year like dancing or a gym class for seniors , it can be fun and you may meet some nice people and they can help you along the way and give you some ideas you never have thought about it. Have your main meal around lunch time , not before you go to bed as you will not burn it off.
Do not eat sugary , fatty snacks , rather have a hand full of nuts or. carrots. After a while you get used to it and you wonder why you ever had these bad meals and snacks.

View attachment 37517

Key Takeaways

Am annoyed. As a Type2 diabetic not due to weight or diet issues, and on medication of Metformin and prescribed Ozempic to help stabilise my blood sugar, I know how difficult it is to still get Ozempic in spite of the OZ government now disallowing Ozempic to be used off label for weight loss , to help with the shortage for those people like myself who actually need it for treatment of Diabetes Type2. Of course it must still be getting prescribed to others....$$ talk!

Reactions: wendell
Because it's people like her using it off label who are contributing to the global shortage of Ozempic for Type2 Diabetes patients like myself.
Some of us in spite of the often ignorantly perceived Type2 stigma that all sufferers of it are due to self created issues such as poor diet etc, don't realise that Type2 can happen due to other health issues also.

Ozmpic works very well to stabilise blood sugar, this helps to prevent the devastating effects to the body from constant blood sugar spikes.

Reactions: Nichola and wendell
Because it's people like her using it off label who are contributing to the global shortage of Ozempic for Type2 Diabetes patients like myself.
Some of us in spite of the often ignorantly perceived Type2 stigma that all sufferers of it are due to self created issues such as poor diet etc, don't realise that Type2 can happen due to other health issues also.

Ozmpic works very well to stabilise blood sugar, this helps to prevent the devastating effects to the body from constant blood sugar spikes.

Reactions: wendell

View attachment 37517

Key Takeaways

I have a family member who needs this Type II Diabetes medication and due to the media coverage in the press there is as a consequence a severe shortage of the prescribed medication. Ripley who don’t medically need this product should just not be eligible for it! There are better ways to lose weight!! Get outside walking, jogging, hiking, rowing, swimming! 🏃🏽🚶🏿‍♀️🚣🏊🏽‍♂️

Reactions: Tabby and wendell
I also have to take Ozempic for Type 2 diabetes. when my husband contracted covid in hospital last year and didn’t survive . He was ready to come out 2 days before, My anxiety was affected and my blood sugar rose substantially and I was subscribed Ozempic. Blood sugar is now on the decline but it hasn’t been available for 3 weeks now . Maybe last dose next week 🥲

Reactions: Nichola
I also have to take Ozempic for Type 2 diabetes. when my husband contracted covid in hospital last year and didn’t survive . He was ready to come out 2 days before, My anxiety was affected and my blood sugar rose substantially and I was subscribed Ozempic. Blood sugar is now on the decline but it hasn’t been available for 3 weeks now . Maybe last dose next week 🥲
I'm so sorry you suffered such a sad loss and consequent health issues. Until they come up with ways to increase production of Ozempic, it should only be available to Type 2 diabetics.

Reactions: Tabby and wendell
She has been an ambassador for Weight Watchers for a number of years....and now she claims her weight loss is from using Ozempic......Weight Watchers should sue her R's off. What a lying piece of work she is.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk