SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
One family’s ‘absolutely disgraceful’ discovery at their Airbnb ruined their whole holiday!

We've all heard horror stories about booking accommodation online, only to find that the property is nothing like the pictures when we finally arrive. In some cases, it can even be dangerous!

But we bet you've never heard a story as outrageous as this one from a family who were left stranded and out of pocket after their Airbnb was suddenly unavailable — due to renovations!

In a series of posts on TikTok, NSW mortgage broker Renee, also known as @reneescbfs, shared her distress when her family arrived at their Byron Bay Airbnb for a seven-day stay, only to find that it was in the middle of renovations with no warning given.

Screenshot_1.png
Renee’s family arrived at the rental to find it in disarray. Credit: TikTok/@reneescbfs
‘Hey Airbnb,’ Renee began, ‘My family turned up to this today. A completely vacant home, in the middle of a massive renovation, no warning… You left 12 people and 3 kids under 3 literally standing on the side of the road.’

The party of 12 adults and three children were greeted by half-painted walls, covered floors and unplugged appliances sitting outside alongside what looked like a rubbish tip. There was no way they could stay there!

Despite trying to contact Airbnb for help, Renee claimed that her family were accused of lying and that the company refused to provide them with alternative accommodation or a refund.

They were left with no other choice but to find somewhere else at the last minute - which cost nearly double the amount they had originally paid. And even then, it took days for them to get any response from customer service about reimbursement... which turned out didn’t even cover their whole stay!

‘They are compensating 30% of 3 days out of a 7-day booking… Makes absolutely no sense,’ Renee said.

The ordeal of Renee’s family was not lost on commenters.

One user appeared to have sworn off Airbnb entirely as they wrote: ‘You just convinced me to never use Airbnb again. Ever.’

‘Airbnb has lost its spark. Hotels all the way,’ wrote another.
Another user chimed in: ‘Currently staying at a holiday home that’s been a disaster. Never again. Airbnb has killed the industry.’

Others offered their tips to avoid finding yourself in a similar situation.

One said: ‘always pay with a credit card and dispute the charge if things don’t work out.’

‘I always warn people about Airbnb… Owners can cancel the day of arrival and just refund. Book with a travel agent,’ another suggested.

Fortunately, after Renee's story went viral on social media (which garnered over 200K views), she eventually received confirmation that her family would be reimbursed for the full seven days.
A more recent update from Renee also had wonderful news — Airbnb decided to cover their expenses at their alternate hotel!

Despite this, some people still are not letting Airbnb off the hook.

One user pointed out: ‘What’s messed up is that it had to escalate via a TikTok with thousands of views instead of an automatic reimbursement from the start.’

Another agreed, and said: ‘All the negative press helped, but why you should have had to escalate is beyond me.’
Members, this goes to show how important it is to do your research before booking any kind of holiday accommodation online!

We recommend reading reviews carefully (preferably from multiple sources) as well as checking in with local tourism organisations or talking directly with property owners/managers where possible. Not that it could be helped in this case!

We also have other stories involving the popular rental service too! Check out one woman’s ‘stressful’ experience, and another woman’s ‘creepy’ stay at an Airbnb.

We don’t want to end on a sour note, so we also have one story on last year’s most popular spots according to TripAdvisor — be sure to check this one out!

So, what do you think about Renee’s family’s stressful (to say the least) experience?

Do you think that Airbnb should have been more proactive from the start?

Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Did they not communicate with the home owner beforehand for check in details, directions, etc. The property should have been blocked out as unbookable as it was unusable. I have two Airbnbs and we do all the communication ourselves. Airbnb only do the booking work on what we say is available, handle the money and check with us as in reviews on how the booking went. They don’t know what the house is like except for the photos supplied. The Owners slipped up.

We booked an Airbnb in Victor Harbor SA for March this year. Found out the property was on the market. When we contacted Airbnb they confirmed this & told us that "it may still be an Airbnb after the sale" but they couldn't guarantee it. Wondering if & when we were going to be told. We cancelled the booking & rebooked a better place for a cheaper price.

One family’s ‘absolutely disgraceful’ discovery at their Airbnb ruined their whole holiday!

We've all heard horror stories about booking accommodation online, only to find that the property is nothing like the pictures when we finally arrive. In some cases, it can even be dangerous!

But we bet you've never heard a story as outrageous as this one from a family who were left stranded and out of pocket after their Airbnb was suddenly unavailable — due to renovations!

In a series of posts on TikTok, NSW mortgage broker Renee, also known as @reneescbfs, shared her distress when her family arrived at their Byron Bay Airbnb for a seven-day stay, only to find that it was in the middle of renovations with no warning given.

View attachment 7069
Renee’s family arrived at the rental to find it in disarray. Credit: TikTok/@reneescbfs
‘Hey Airbnb,’ Renee began, ‘My family turned up to this today. A completely vacant home, in the middle of a massive renovation, no warning… You left 12 people and 3 kids under 3 literally standing on the side of the road.’

The party of 12 adults and three children were greeted by half-painted walls, covered floors and unplugged appliances sitting outside alongside what looked like a rubbish tip. There was no way they could stay there!

Despite trying to contact Airbnb for help, Renee claimed that her family were accused of lying and that the company refused to provide them with alternative accommodation or a refund.

They were left with no other choice but to find somewhere else at the last minute - which cost nearly double the amount they had originally paid. And even then, it took days for them to get any response from customer service about reimbursement... which turned out didn’t even cover their whole stay!

‘They are compensating 30% of 3 days out of a 7-day booking… Makes absolutely no sense,’ Renee said.

One user appeared to have sworn off Airbnb entirely as they wrote: ‘You just convinced me to never use Airbnb again. Ever.’

Another user chimed in: ‘Currently staying at a holiday home that’s been a disaster. Never again. Airbnb has killed the industry.’

One said: ‘always pay with a credit card and dispute the charge if things don’t work out.’

‘I always warn people about Airbnb… Owners can cancel the day of arrival and just refund. Book with a travel agent,’ another suggested.

Fortunately, after Renee's story went viral on social media (which garnered over 200K views), she eventually received confirmation that her family would be reimbursed for the full seven days.
A more recent update from Renee also had wonderful news — Airbnb decided to cover their expenses at their alternate hotel!

One user pointed out: ‘What’s messed up is that it had to escalate via a TikTok with thousands of views instead of an automatic reimbursement from the start.’

Another agreed, and said: ‘All the negative press helped, but why you should have had to escalate is beyond me.’
Members, this goes to show how important it is to do your research before booking any kind of holiday accommodation online!

We recommend reading reviews carefully (preferably from multiple sources) as well as checking in with local tourism organisations or talking directly with property owners/managers where possible. Not that it could be helped in this case!

We also have other stories involving the popular rental service too! Check out one woman’s ‘stressful’ experience, and another woman’s ‘creepy’ stay at an Airbnb.

We don’t want to end on a sour note, so we also have one story on last year’s most popular spots according to TripAdvisor — be sure to check this one out!

So, what do you think about Renee’s family’s stressful (to say the least) experience?

I use Airbnb all the time when I travel and have never had a bad experience. I find the organisation amazing and very helpful. Am sorry you had a bad experience but don’t let it put you off using them. Am pleased they were able to give you the money back plus pay for your other accommodation. The blame lies with the person whose place it was. Take care

I've stopped using them. Concerned that the owner's insurance would cover any accident if the place is rented for a profit (not just as a private residence)

Reactions: Ricci
My brother and sister-in-law finally went to the UK to have Christmas with their two daughters after not seeing them since 2019 due to Covid travel restrictions. My brother paid for 7 days at an AirBnB in the lakes district only to have another family of holiday makers arrive on the third day for their week in the house. Turns out the AirBnB house had been double booked. They were told there would be no refund. So my brother has now filed for recompense through a UK lawyer.

Did they not communicate with the home owner beforehand for check in details, directions, etc. The property should have been blocked out as unbookable as it was unusable. I have two Airbnbs and we do all the communication ourselves. Airbnb only do the booking work on what we say is available, handle the money and check with us as in reviews on how the booking went. They don’t know what the house is like except for the photos supplied. The Owners slipped up.
I totally agree, the onus is on the owner. I as a host would never do that to anyone. Please don`t ruin things for the rest of us with negativity for me it is my superannuation

We booked an Airbnb in Victor Harbor SA for March this year. Found out the property was on the market. When we contacted Airbnb they confirmed this & told us that "it may still be an Airbnb after the sale" but they couldn't guarantee it. Wondering if & when we were going to be told. We cancelled the booking & rebooked a better place for a cheaper price.
I always pay by PayPal if possible that way your money is safe.

Everyone seems to be using Airbnb as a generic term and blaming them directly.

They just cover the whole scheme, but surely it's the people letting out the accommodation that needs to put their house in order first then if there's a problem bring Airbnb into it.

I've stayed in one about 6 or 7 times in all different towns and not had a problem. Even with the limited information given online it's easy to find out where it is and look into fuller details yourself. Street view has always been useful for that. 🙂

Reactions: TheBear and Macarj
My brother and sister-in-law finally went to the UK to have Christmas with their two daughters after not seeing them since 2019 due to Covid travel restrictions. My brother paid for 7 days at an AirBnB in the lakes district only to have another family of holiday makers arrive on the third day for their week in the house. Turns out the AirBnB house had been double booked. They were told there would be no refund. So my brother has now filed for recompense through a UK lawyer.
How disappointing.
Should be first booked, first in.
Hoping it's not too stressful an ordeal for your brother to go down the legal path, but he has to do it.
Otherwise, the bad taste will never go away.

Reactions: Macarj

They just cover the whole scheme, but surely it's the people letting out the accommodation that needs to put their house in order first then if there's a problem bring Airbnb into it.

I've stayed in one about 6 or 7 times in all different towns and not had a problem. Even with the limited information given online it's easy to find out where it is and look into fuller details yourself. Street view has always been useful for that. 🙂
But Street View may have been taken 6 months earlier, so may not show the current state of the property.

Reactions: TheBear and Macarj
I have stayed at 3 AirBnB accommodations and I have had no problems. However, the last place we stayed at had a very small bedroom which was a bit frustrating but manageable. Next time I will be asking the question about size of the room.
I find that organisations don't seem to do the right thing initially unless the complaint is put on the internet. Then the managers at the organisation try and rectify the problem. Why don't these managers do the right thing and create good will? It seems that most of them don't understand customer relations.

View attachment 7069

Criminal white collar behaviour needs to be treated like any other crime. No different to a felony theft. Shameful Airbnb.

You actually pay Airbnb they have to deal with the owners

AirBnB have to have some responsibility surely. They take a fee for every booking, which most of the time is all done automatically, so little work on their part for that money. A profit on each booking implies responsibility. It's similar to a retailer (middleman) upholding a warranty when the manufacturer cannot be contacted, or won't help.

Reactions: TheBear
I've heard way too many stories of airbnb to ever be involved!! People who rent their houses and come home to a wreck, and people who rent them being treated like this!!! Nah, a hotel may be dearer, but at least it provides what you need, and if the rooms not satisfactory, you can demand a different room.

Reactions: debjoel21

View attachment 7069

I tried Air Bnb once - never even got past the booking stage. First one took our money then called us 2 days later to say they were now going overseas - they did refund the money. Second one well all I will say is if their home was like their attitude it would be a crap place to stay. I think people have just jumped on the band wagon to make a quick buck and they mustnt be monitored. We had a B n B cottage for over 7 years and were monitored by the council, and the standards we had to keep made it the success that it was. I never advertised after 8 months as the word of mouth did it for us. Respect people and they will respect you. It also was a pet friendly cottage so very popular.

Reactions: Rainy
Our first experience...We turned up to an Air BNB only to find the room had not been serviced from the previous booking. No clean towels, sheets, no clean dishes, filthy bathroom, a total disgrace. We found out the owners had had a fight, one had taken off to NZ and the daughter didn't have time to service the unit. There was no other accommodation available and Air BnBwould not refund the full amount. NEVER EVER AGAIN WILL WE USE THIS DODGY COMPANY