SX2002

Aug 23, 2021
Adelaide
New wheelchair

Well, it's taken about 2 years of searching, disappointments and frustration (no support of any kind) and $3,550 but Thursday I picked up my new chair. Made in Canada and very well made. Took about 3 months from the time I ordered it until I picked it up.
Being over 65, I didn't qualify with the NDIS, if I was under that age I would have got a free chair..!
The aim was to get a lighter weight chair as Loraine has also developed some bad spine problems and the old one was just becoming to heavy to lift into the car. The new one is 5kg lighter which makes a big difference. I would have loved to buy a carbon framed chair, much lighter still but with no support it was just too expensive. Some are up to $10,000 - $14,000..!
I was wondering what to do with my old one so I posted it on Gumtree and sold it an hour later to a lady who's Mum had just had a stroke. Poor girl had to give up work to look after her. I let her have it for only $100 as I knew it would help her out immensely..

Image00001.JPG

Image00018.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
Good on you Ron - it's a nice looking chair. I had no idea that a) wheelchairs were so expensive and b) the NDIS only applies if you're under 65.

How did you do your research and figure out this was the right one for you?

Reactions: Ricci
It was mainly based on the weight Jon...my old chair was 16kg and while I could lift it in a static lift, leaning over and reaching to put it in the car boot was becoming very difficult. As I said, Lorraine's spine is very bad now and between the two of us it was just too hard. When I decided where I wanted to buy it I made an appointment and got measured up. Back height, back angle, seat height, wheels, tyres, castors, seat material, foot rests, colour everything you need to buy a fitted chair. These details were put on the order and sent to Motion Composites in Canada. It's quite an involved process when you want a proper (prescription) fitted chair. I spent about 2 years Emailing different suppliers/manufacturers around the world and in Australia. Also all the "supposed" aid/support organisations and discovered they did bugger all. I was told to contact Paralympics but after Emailing them 3 times they never even replied...help indeed..☹️
As for the NDIS, the biggest scam there is for anyone with a disability over 65 years of age...I was told age care fills in this gap but they don't do any support like I needed...
I had my first spine operation in 1985 and if there had been an NDIS back then, I would have got everything free..talk about discrimination...!!

Screenshot_6.jpg

Screenshot_15.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at getting a travel mobility scooter that I could easily fold up and put in the boot of the car. I had narrowed it down to an "efoldi" scooter that has won many design awards and originates from the UK. I found the Australian outlet (Melbourne) and was then told that maybe My Aged Care would fund it. I went through all the hassle of an in home assessment only to be told two weeks later that they wouldn't fund a three wheel scooter, only a four wheel one. The only problem being that 4 wheel scooters come in at between 22 and 30kgs whereas the efoldi is 15. Go figure. I could just about manage 15kgs or maybe ask a nice passerby but 22kgs forget it, that's hardly what I would call a "travel" mobility scooter.:(

Reactions: JayKay
I was looking at getting a travel mobility scooter that I could easily fold up and put in the boot of the car. I had narrowed it down to an "efoldi" scooter that has won many design awards and originates from the UK. I found the Australian outlet (Melbourne) and was then told that maybe My Aged Care would fund it. I went through all the hassle of an in home assessment only to be told two weeks later that they wouldn't fund a three wheel scooter, only a four wheel one. The only problem being that 4 wheel scooters come in at between 22 and 30kgs whereas the efoldi is 15. Go figure. I could just about manage 15kgs or maybe ask a nice passerby but 22kgs forget it, that's hardly what I would call a "travel" mobility scooter.:(
I'm so sorry you are being kicked down like that.
There's no such thing as fair anymore.
It seems as though the "authorities" think they know what is best for you.
Doesn't matter if it's suitable.
I have a severe hearing loss in the high frequency.
It affects how I hear people talking, but I am unable to get Government assistance because they only cover hearing loss in the range of the normal speaking voice.
I have to use captions on the TV ...if there's a film or documentary which doesn't have captions, I can't watch it.
I was offered a headset which I could connect to my TV.....$3500!
Let's keep smiling 🙂😊

• Sad
I'm so sorry you are being kicked down like that.
There's no such thing as fair anymore.
It seems as though the "authorities" think they know what is best for you.
Doesn't matter if it's suitable.
I have a severe hearing loss in the high frequency.
It affects how I hear people talking, but I am unable to get Government assistance because they only cover hearing loss in the range of the normal speaking voice.
I have to use captions on the TV ...if there's a film or documentary which doesn't have captions, I can't watch it.
I was offered a headset which I could connect to my TV.....$3500!
Let's keep smiling 🙂😊
It would appear that if you don't fit into their (very narrow) parameters you are stuffed. There is no wriggle room in their rules, an individuals needs and requirements don't seem to actually mean anything. It is so frustrating as even the assessor who came round agreed with me that it would sort a lot of my problems. The only suggestion given to me was to apply for taxi vouchers but that's not what I need, I need mobility when I get to my destination, I can get to my destination (I still drive). I want to pootle around the shops, I want to take a trip along the seafront, I don't want to be a prisoner in my own home. My disability means I can only walk about 50metres (on a good day).:(:mad::cry:

It would appear that if you don't fit into their (very narrow) parameters you are stuffed. There is no wriggle room in their rules, an individuals needs and requirements don't seem to actually mean anything. It is so frustrating as even the assessor who came round agreed with me that it would sort a lot of my problems. The only suggestion given to me was to apply for taxi vouchers but that's not what I need, I need mobility when I get to my destination, I can get to my destination (I still drive). I want to pootle around the shops, I want to take a trip along the seafront, I don't want to be a prisoner in my own home. My disability means I can only walk about 50metres (on a good day).:(:mad::cry:
It's as though once you turn 65, your problems disappear and we don't need help or aids after 65. Yes, My Aged Care is there, but it seems as if you have to know how to work the system to benefit.
Of course you want to be out and about....you are still alive and have more living to do.

Why don't you try an electric wheelchair, a mate bought one a few months ago and he's overweight, has bad knees and hips and despite all that he can lift it into his car OK. Surprisingly at $3,000, it was cheaper then my manual chair...I would never buy a 3 wheel buggy, they are known for being unstable. I tried one out many years ago when I wanted to buy one for my Mum, went around a corner a bit fast, a whole 6k/hour and the thing early tipped over on me.

Why don't you try an electric wheelchair, a mate bought one a few months ago and he's overweight, has bad knees and hips and despite all that he can lift it into his car OK. Surprisingly at $3,000, it was cheaper then my manual chair...I would never buy a 3 wheel buggy, they are known for being unstable. I tried one out many years ago when I wanted to buy one for my Mum, went around a corner a bit fast, a whole 6k/hour and the thing early tipped over on me.
That is going to be my next area of research. I need lightweight and not too unwieldy. The whole idea of the scooter was that it folds up to the size of a smallish suitcase, can be taken on buses, trains and planes. fairly easily by one person - me! Also, having test ridden several brands of 3 wheelers I didn't have a problem, I am well aware of the shortcomings but having won several design awards they have been mitigated as much as is possible. Also, not being a speed freak and not wanting to turn on a dime I think it'd be fine.

Last edited:
That is going to be my next area of research. I need lightweight and not too unwieldy. The whole idea of the scooter was that it folds up to the size of a smallish suitcase, can be taken on buses, trains and planes. fairly easily by one person - me! Also, having test ridden several brands of 3 wheelers I didn't have a problem, I am well aware of the shortcomings but having won several design awards they have been mitigated as much as is possible. Also, not being a speed freak and not wanting to turn on a dime I think it'd be fine.
I'll see if my friend has some info and send it to you...pretty sure his folds up fairly small. It's not as bulky as a standard electric chair