New rendition of iconic Qantas ad: ‘I still call Australia home’ leaves thousands in tears - “I had goosebumps!”

The unofficial Australian anthem returns! Qantas has finally dropped a new rendition of their iconic commercial and it left thousands bawling in tears (yes, including our whole team).

Over 35 years since the airline first launched their campaign using Mark Knofler's ‘Going Home’, Qantas released ‘We’re Coming to Get You’ in 1987 to promote Australia to potential tourists, brilliantly portrayed in a way that will inevitably tug at the audience’s heartstrings.

Qantas’ original video in 1987. Video Credit: Random Stuff Inbox

On the other hand, the new version reflects on the struggles we had to face amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Widely acclaimed celebrities such as Kylie Minogue, Hugh Jackman, Ash Barty, Adam Goodes, and Troye Sivan are all featured in the clip, which was filmed pre-COVID at locations throughout Australia.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said: “Get the tissues ready. We have kept it in the can for over two years because the time has never been quite right... It was filmed when things were very different but now is the right time.”

“We couldn’t do it until the whole country was together again because as the song says, ‘one day we’ll all be together once more’.”

rciL6Y0w9CTxUBfEHmP9gjcLksmjR9_aqTopzs_yfYQZIgoes5CQc5-Emh9BlJiatHTFn1i_Subf5QSor6JHZPDAXUkrBXbCNEDT7asHN3pJyMxief0AbOiK6765HQxpX6ak7xSh

A snapshot of Qantas’ stunning new ad. Image Credit: KarryOn

The video begins with a drone shot showing the vastness of the Australian Outback. The camera then pans into Uluru staring off into the distance while a contemporary arrangement featuring the Australian Girls Choir together with National Boys Choir and Gondwana Choir starts to sing.

Retired tennis icon Ash Barty alongside fellow sporting stars Adam Goodes, Bronte Campbell, and Ellie Cole can also be seen making an appearance in the tear-jerking ad.

“I’m honoured to be involved in something that celebrates our unique country and culture and will hopefully help the recovery of tourism operators by inspiring travellers to get out and explore all Australia has to offer.” said former AFL footballer Adam Goodes.

The footage was filmed at some of Australia’s most well-known locations such as the pink-hued Hutt Lagoon in Western Australia, the jagged cliffs of Cape Raoul in Tasmania, the salt lakes in South Australia, the Whitsundays, Bondi Beach, Sydney Harbour, and more. Some scenes were actually filmed overseas.

If you managed to get through half of the video without your eyes getting all watery, then the final cut highlights just might do the trick. To make the ad even more relevant, given the past two years of the pandemic, tear-jerking footage of families reuniting at airports across Australia was added.

-4hkEZR21-kIk5UWHdzUQvC2AWTN8hSuuHGCoTMVULePXNB8P0BPSjdQ8nbHdnpKwUilkTMkJJfPiPjYD9jhCXP3XKC4UnRNu7Dhd0-rtSjcmZVB1O50XgA3PdjGADlI70vWrqLs

Footage of families reuniting at Australian airports. Image Credit: Qantas

“I just love this new one. I watched it three times now and each time, I get shivers down my spine. It makes me proud to be an Aussie!” one user commented.

“I almost forgot how good it feels to have a tear run down my cheek due to National Pride.” another added.

“I moved to the UK in 2020, in the thick of the pandemic, and ‘I Still Call Australia Home’ always brings tears to my eyes. I can't wait to be back home.” a third wrote.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce added: “The last major Qantas advert came as the country was rolling up its sleeves to be vaccinated so we could all reconnect, and it really struck a chord.”

“Now that borders are finally open, and staying open, this is the perfect time to relaunch this Peter Allen classic as the national carrier’s anthem. The full version of this advert is effectively a short film that highlights Australia’s stunning natural beauty and unique culture while celebrating the incredible resilience that has really shone through recently.”

“After a very difficult two years, we’re focused on recovery and have a lot of exciting things in the pipeline, including several new international destinations, decisions on new aircrafts and recruiting more people.”

Does anybody have some extra tissue laying around? The tears are getting in the way of our view!

Want to see the new rendition of ‘I Still Call Australia Home’? Watch it below!

Video Credit: Qantas

If you’re curious to see the first video featuring the song ‘I Still Call Australia Home’ from Qantas’ ad series released in 1997, we’ve got you covered too!

Video Credit: danzaJEDI

Sponsored
New rendition of iconic Qantas ad: ‘I still call Australia home’ leaves thousands in tears - “I had goosebumps!”

The unofficial Australian anthem returns! Qantas has finally dropped a new rendition of their iconic commercial and it left thousands bawling in tears (yes, including our whole team).

Over 35 years since the airline first launched their campaign using Mark Knofler's ‘Going Home’, Qantas released ‘We’re Coming to Get You’ in 1987 to promote Australia to potential tourists, brilliantly portrayed in a way that will inevitably tug at the audience’s heartstrings.

Qantas’ original video in 1987. Video Credit: Random Stuff Inbox

On the other hand, the new version reflects on the struggles we had to face amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Widely acclaimed celebrities such as Kylie Minogue, Hugh Jackman, Ash Barty, Adam Goodes, and Troye Sivan are all featured in the clip, which was filmed pre-COVID at locations throughout Australia.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said: “Get the tissues ready. We have kept it in the can for over two years because the time has never been quite right... It was filmed when things were very different but now is the right time.”

“We couldn’t do it until the whole country was together again because as the song says, ‘one day we’ll all be together once more’.”

rciL6Y0w9CTxUBfEHmP9gjcLksmjR9_aqTopzs_yfYQZIgoes5CQc5-Emh9BlJiatHTFn1i_Subf5QSor6JHZPDAXUkrBXbCNEDT7asHN3pJyMxief0AbOiK6765HQxpX6ak7xSh

A snapshot of Qantas’ stunning new ad. Image Credit: KarryOn

The video begins with a drone shot showing the vastness of the Australian Outback. The camera then pans into Uluru staring off into the distance while a contemporary arrangement featuring the Australian Girls Choir together with National Boys Choir and Gondwana Choir starts to sing.

Retired tennis icon Ash Barty alongside fellow sporting stars Adam Goodes, Bronte Campbell, and Ellie Cole can also be seen making an appearance in the tear-jerking ad.

“I’m honoured to be involved in something that celebrates our unique country and culture and will hopefully help the recovery of tourism operators by inspiring travellers to get out and explore all Australia has to offer.” said former AFL footballer Adam Goodes.

The footage was filmed at some of Australia’s most well-known locations such as the pink-hued Hutt Lagoon in Western Australia, the jagged cliffs of Cape Raoul in Tasmania, the salt lakes in South Australia, the Whitsundays, Bondi Beach, Sydney Harbour, and more. Some scenes were actually filmed overseas.

If you managed to get through half of the video without your eyes getting all watery, then the final cut highlights just might do the trick. To make the ad even more relevant, given the past two years of the pandemic, tear-jerking footage of families reuniting at airports across Australia was added.

-4hkEZR21-kIk5UWHdzUQvC2AWTN8hSuuHGCoTMVULePXNB8P0BPSjdQ8nbHdnpKwUilkTMkJJfPiPjYD9jhCXP3XKC4UnRNu7Dhd0-rtSjcmZVB1O50XgA3PdjGADlI70vWrqLs

Footage of families reuniting at Australian airports. Image Credit: Qantas

“I just love this new one. I watched it three times now and each time, I get shivers down my spine. It makes me proud to be an Aussie!” one user commented.

“I almost forgot how good it feels to have a tear run down my cheek due to National Pride.” another added.

“I moved to the UK in 2020, in the thick of the pandemic, and ‘I Still Call Australia Home’ always brings tears to my eyes. I can't wait to be back home.” a third wrote.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce added: “The last major Qantas advert came as the country was rolling up its sleeves to be vaccinated so we could all reconnect, and it really struck a chord.”

“Now that borders are finally open, and staying open, this is the perfect time to relaunch this Peter Allen classic as the national carrier’s anthem. The full version of this advert is effectively a short film that highlights Australia’s stunning natural beauty and unique culture while celebrating the incredible resilience that has really shone through recently.”

“After a very difficult two years, we’re focused on recovery and have a lot of exciting things in the pipeline, including several new international destinations, decisions on new aircrafts and recruiting more people.”

Does anybody have some extra tissue laying around? The tears are getting in the way of our view!

Want to see the new rendition of ‘I Still Call Australia Home’? Watch it below!

Video Credit: Qantas

If you’re curious to see the first video featuring the song ‘I Still Call Australia Home’ from Qantas’ ad series released in 1997, we’ve got you covered too!

Video Credit: danzaJEDI

I love this add. After spending 6 months overseas in the 70's, I flew into Sydney on a September morning at sunrise. I will never forget the magnificent view of the harbour, the Opera House and the Bridge. I was literally overwhelmed...the Beauty of my home, Australia.

Whilst I wasn't born here I have lived here longer than anywhere else and am now a full Australian by choice. Since arriving here I have always marveled that people would want to go overseas on holiday when we have such a beautiful country to explore. Qantas showcases our fantastic country with just the right amount of national pride. A beautiful, well shot ad, well done Qantas.✈️🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺✈️

This song on its own gets me every time so when Qantas add their magic there are even more tears .... and although I’ve traveled, I’ve never lived anywhere else but Adelaide so it must be especially special (is that a thing) for those who have lived or do live overseas. What an amazing talent Peter Allen was (he wrote this). 💕

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
Absolutely beautiful, what a ad 10 out of 10 for the advertising agency that compiled this ad, had tears in my eyes within 30 seconds, don't need a tissue need a bucket amazing

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
This advertisement touches my heart strings like no other. It brings tears to my eyes and makes me appreciate the beautiful country I live in. I have travelled around the world, which I have enjoyed, but returning home to Australia is always a pleasure and a joy.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci